Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 06-26-2019, 8:35 PM

Default Hand Held Flashlight

Opinions please.

This is for outdoors in a rural area at night. I have a 350 lumen Streamlight on my AR. It is fine for indoors but outdoors it is lacking. Actually, they are all lacking as I want to identify things over 200 yards away. A weapons light may not cut it so what about a hand held light?

This was recommended to me.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...AbTest=ae803_3

Yes, it is cheap and yes it is Chinese. That does not bother me a bit.

What do you think of the concept of taking a flashlight out with me and the AR in case of trouble?

Any suggestions about a 4000 lumen or more light?
Old 06-26-2019, 8:36 PM

Olight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2019, 8:40 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Klarus XT21 X about $125, small but 4000 lumens.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 06-27-2019, 7:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Try this one not much bigger than a Stinger but a whole lot brighter. My son bought on I can light up my entire acre and a half horse lot, and pretty much all of of the cattle pasture between my fence and the levy.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079D3DD...lig_dp_it&th=1
Old 06-27-2019, 9:17 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Try this one not much bigger than a Stinger but a whole lot brighter. My son bought on I can light up my entire acre and a half horse lot, and pretty much all of of the cattle pasture between my fence and the levy.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B079D3DD...lig_dp_it&th=1
I have the Protac 4 - it is very bright. I can only imagine what the 5X can do. These Streamlights are great lights and their customer service is excellent if you ever need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJD2VjxgB6w

Last edited by SkyHawk; 06-27-2019 at 9:25 AM..
Old 06-27-2019, 11:35 AM

Don't eliminate Fenix from your list of possibles.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:51 PM

You should lurk around BLF and candlepower forums for a little bit. They're like the calguns/rimfirecentral of the flashlight world.

You need a good lens, not high lumens. Lumens doesn't tell how far the light will shine. In fact, they don't even tell you how bright it will be.

I use a streamlight TLR-1 HPL. That will get you about 400 yards of usable light. Also you won't have to shoot your AR one handed.

If you really want a hand held light, it's hard to find a bad one. However zooming lights tend to be the lowest quality. Hey, $4 just use it 'till it breaks.

Edit: look for lights with a tight beam pattern and a big lens. High lux and high candela values are more important than lumens. Also if a light is designed to go far, it's usually advertised as a feature. If a light doesn't say how far the beam goes, you can bet it's a flood style light that projects less than 100 yards.

Last edited by oktavist; 06-27-2019 at 1:00 PM..
Old 06-27-2019, 1:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

From a similar thread - I have recommended Convoy brand flashlights to many people and of those that purchased, they have all been amazed at the quality/performance of the lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
The LED flashlight market is a jungle of both excellent and mediocre/junk lights. Convoy is a brand known for very good quality, reliability and performance. A very good US Seller of Convoy lights and Chargers, Batteries, etc. is Richard McDougal at Mountain Electronics in Utah - https://www.mtnelectronics.com. Other good brands are Fenix, Olight, FourSevens, etc.

I own two Convoy flashlights purchased from Richard. My first was a Convoy C8 - XP-L HI V2 1A that runs on one 18650 Lithium Ion rechargeable battery. I ordered it with the optional Guppydrive firmware update that gives the light 22 different modes of brightness, strobe, etc. It will easily light objects up two football fields away.

The second light I bought from him is the Convoy L6 which is basically a handheld flamethrower! It runs on two 26650 Li-Ion batteries and while it doesn't throw quite as far as it's littl brother the C8, illuminates a much larger area due to its larger reflector and higher output. If you go on YouTube, you will find many reviews of these two great flashlights.

Two excellent forums to learn about the best/latest lights and new advancements in LED technology are the Candlepowerforums.com and Budgetlightforums.com.

Be warned though, once you start down the Rabbit Hole of quality LED flashlights, you will be hooked!
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, lefties will have brought it upon themselves. I value freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of governance they have to offer, which offers no freedom and complete servitude to the state.
Old 06-27-2019, 1:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, lefties will have brought it upon themselves. I value freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of governance they have to offer, which offers no freedom and complete servitude to the state.
Old 06-27-2019, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratchett View Post
Don't eliminate Fenix from your list of possibles.
^ This. PD35.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhEtJMWyTK8

Old 06-27-2019, 1:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Get a dedicated thrower like an Acebeam T27 or something similar.
Old 06-27-2019, 1:44 PM

yeah, most compact lights, no matter how bright, don't have a lot of throw.
i think you want to look specifically for something with a long throw.
Old 06-27-2019, 2:08 PM
Calguns Addict

I like those Anker's that go on special for $19 (LC90) they were on daily deal this morning for 19.98 or similar... came with a decent 18650 and they work great IMHO.
Old 06-27-2019, 2:15 PM
Calguns Addict

If you really want one of those GUANGZHOU, China "4000", "5000", lights I think they are $4 shipped on Ebay. I'm SURE they are really 5000 Lumens. You would have to compare one to a branded light. I bet the 900 lumen Anker would compete but I I haven't seen them side by side. If you pay $120 for a 4000 lumen light, I bet it really is brighter.
Old 06-27-2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
yeah, most compact lights, no matter how bright, don't have a lot of throw.
i think you want to look specifically for something with a long throw.
Throw is everything. There are lights with huge lumen values which do not adjust at all and have no depth as you look into the lens. You need a cone look behind the lens and it should adjust so the beam widens or narrows.
Old 06-27-2019, 9:43 PM
CGSSA Leader

ThruNite Catapult V6 1750 lumen, well over a mile of throw. That's why they are not called flashlights they are called light throwers.
4 light levels of awesomeness.

Rich
Old 06-28-2019, 8:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbekannt View Post
Throw is everything. There are lights with huge lumen values which do not adjust at all and have no depth as you look into the lens. You need a cone look behind the lens and it should adjust so the beam widens or narrows.
...and no good lights have that spherical coke bottle external lense, only chinese specials... from what I have seen. I have a few $5 specials that were "recommended" and some of them maintain better contact with batteries than a few of my cheap Duracell lights. I'd worry about the switch mechanism and them not being bright enough. But that's what gives out in cheapo lights IMHO, switches and battery contact (which could just be crappy springs and cheap plastic battery boxes.

I'm not really into flashlights but my favorites owned are 5.11, Anker, Maratac. If it lights up an entire open floor plan house or big back yard that's enough for me. I have a couple 5.11's that were rated at 680 IIRC and the battery life is 10+ hours on high, an Anker LC90, and a Maratac 2xAA that are my go to lights when I need one... and a bunch of D cell Streamlight Siege lanterns.
Old 08-11-2019, 6:21 PM

Fenix lights are awesome. I bought one a couple years ago at Sportsmans Warehouse. Not much more than a keychain light, but dayum, it was bright and the runtime was impressive. I've since bought six or seven different models direct from Fenix and a lantern. They have all been great. The last purchase was a TK 47, 1300 lumens and throws a beam very far.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:36 PM

Just getting into flashlights now, but in the context of what he wants, you think a dedicated thrower is ideal? I was thinking maybe something with decent spill to throw into the mix. Correct me if I’m wrong. I’m only asking because I have an Acebeam W30 and I can’t really see how a dedicated thrower like that has much value at 200 yards and out. School me?
Old 08-19-2019, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

I'd go with the Fenix PD36R.
Old 08-19-2019, 2:21 PM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

certainly not cheap, but I have a Alpha from Darksucks.com best light I have ever had and it should be at that price.

They are doing a kiskstarter on FourSevens Quark right now and I purchased a Quark QK16L, I have seen that light from the previous release and it is almost as good as the Alpha
Old 08-20-2019, 10:30 PM

I have used all sorts of lights over the last 20 years. If I am on-duty then I stick with Streamlight or Surefire. However, for the cars and around the house I use Fenix or LAPG Police Flashlights. They work great and are very bright,.
Old 08-21-2019, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango_Down View Post
I have severl Fenix flashlights and love them. They work great. I just ordered another last night.
Old 08-21-2019, 8:50 AM

Fenix has a few high power options as well. This is one I was looking to purchase.
https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...ty-flashlight/