Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-21-2021, 9:55 PM

Default Enfield value/info

Hi!
I have inherited an old Enfield rifle that was stored in a basement. It’s a Century Arms import (with import marking) No. 1 Mk III with matching serial numbers in several places. It is rather oxidized and has a lot of character, but it seems to be in good useable condition. The rifling looks pretty good too (but I’m not an expert at judging it). I want to list the rifle in the classifieds here but I’m not sure how to value it. I’m doing some research but I’d be interested in any opinions about it. here’s pics:

Last edited by flanel; 09-21-2021 at 10:02 PM..
Old 09-22-2021, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

Possibly $500-600 for an import marked SMLE -

At a quick guess.
Old 09-23-2021, 5:21 PM

I'd agree with the above estimate. Somewhere between $400-$600 seems to be the going rate for these depending on condition.
Old 09-24-2021, 7:49 PM

In the mid-1990's, Century Arms International was importing these Enfield SMLE No1. MkIII* rifles. I bought one for 65 dollars out the door after taxes back then. Century Arms hadn't even bothered to clean them up. They were smeared in grease and dripping in oil. So messy, that the LGS I got mine from had them all just sitting haphazardly together in a galvanized tub on the general merchandized floor. You can see pictures of my own CAI import SMLE on the Calguns Gallery forum:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1581136

The $65 dollar purchase price (about $115 in today's money) is just a little historical note on the story when I bought mine back then.

Your rifle and mine look like sister rifles, but sitting in the basement maybe hasn't been the best for it if it was not prepared and stored properly. Someone would probably buy a rifle like this as a shooter, so condition is even more a factor in the asking price for these old military surplus rifles. Also note that Import marked rifles usually bring lower prices.

Last edited by loademup; 09-24-2021 at 8:27 PM..
Old 09-26-2021, 11:19 PM

Thank you everyone for these responses. It’s a very interesting rifle but I just don’t see myself using it. It was unfortunately not stored well, but I do kind of like the way it looks like a prop from Mad Max. I’ll probably be listing it the the classifieds soon.
Old 09-29-2021, 8:16 AM

I would list it at $500 - $600 or so and you could expect to get that tops given the condition of exterior and the bore of course. I would take it but I'm actually having to cut down my collection and just listed some more of my Enfields and will be adding some more No.1 Nk3s also.