Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-17-2021, 7:55 AM

Default EoTech xps2 users

I’m narrowing down my optic upgrade to the xps2 vs Aimpoint pro. My concern from all of the research is the battery life on the eotech. For those who have/had, was it an issue? How often are you changing them? I’ve always been in the habit of shutting off my optics after range use or when stored—it’s not my primary HD weapon. I’ve read stories where the people had to change batteries twice during a class, or at the range.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-17-2021, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

I used to own one but returned it to Eotech during the thermal drift fiasco. I changed the battery every 6 months even if I didn't use it just to be on the safe side. Even if you keep the Eotech off in your safe, the electronics have a small parasitic drain. I kept mine in the safe for a whole year once without ever turning it on and the battery died during that time. That's the downside of the active electronic buttons.

With a new battery, it's rated for 600 hours of runtime at the default brightness setting when it's first turned on. If you install a new battery before a class, it won't die during the class unless the battery was defective. There's also no way to accidentally leave it on overnight because it turns off by itself automatically after 4-8 hours to conserve battery.

Last edited by teflondog; 02-17-2021 at 10:09 AM..
Old 02-17-2021, 2:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I haven't had mine long enough, but I had a EOtech gen 1 Holosite and did/do change batteries a lot, but didn't notice a horrible parasitic loss in the safe. My PRO is great, and I love the rotation knob to turn on - I think that's ideal... basically a flick. Not a huge fan of pressing buttons in general. I like EOtechs... decided to try another one instead of another PRO (EXPS2)... do not regret it yet, but time will tell. If it lacks something I don't already expect, I'll just add another PRO. They are both nice.
Old 02-17-2021, 3:19 PM
Calguns Addict

I change my battery once a year regardless of amount of use. I thought battery life was going to be an issue before making the purchase but that wasn’t the case. The real issue is my bad astigmatism causing a very blurry circle so you may take that into consideration.

WTB used AK MFER.
Old 02-17-2021, 3:55 PM

I had one that I sent back during the recall - not because of any issues, but I wanted to try a LPVO out. I had zero issues with the optic, I just changed the battery every ~6 months to be safe. The big window and 65 moa circle dot is excellent for quick shots at close range, and the 1moa center dot made 400 yard shots surprisingly easy with my 16" carbine.

I currently have an Aimpoint H1 on my AR Pistol for the lighter weight & longer battery life, as I wanted to try something different. I have no plans on switching now that the EOTech is gone, but having owned both now, I probably wouldn't have sold the EOTech in the first place if I knew I was going to buy another red dot eventually. While I would recommend both equally, the EOTech definitely has the edge with the large viewing window, less parallax, and less tint to the lens. For what it's worth, I understand the XPS series is less prone to the thermal drift and glass delamination that the 512 series had issues with. I wouldn't hesitate to use an an XPS or any Aimpoint on a defensive rifle. Just decide if you care more about battery life of the Aimpoint (which is excellent!) or the more more forgiving viewing window & reticle of the EOTech (also excellent!).

It's hard to go wrong with either, but make sure you have a spare battery in your grip or stock if you have the EOTech. I also had flip-up iron sights with both red dots - just in case.

Last edited by DrewTheBrave; 02-17-2021 at 3:59 PM..
Old 02-17-2021, 6:58 PM

I just read in an article that you need to rezero every battery change. Is this true?
Old 02-17-2021, 9:38 PM

Just got my eotech exps2 last week and love it. Changing a better every so often is no big deal.
Old 02-17-2021, 9:38 PM

^ battery*
Old 02-17-2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1911 View Post
I just read in an article that you need to rezero every battery change. Is this true?
Hey Rich, you shouldn’t have to re-zero after battery change because you’re not unmounting it from the rail.

My zero didn’t change on my 512.A65 when batteries were changed, doubt the issue exists with the EXPS/XPS as the battery compartment is way easier to access.
Old 02-18-2021, 7:57 AM
Veteran Member

I remove my optics all the time and I never rezero them. If there's any change in POI then it must be no more than 1 MOA because I don't notice any zero shift at all. Aside from Eotech's built in mount, the only other mounts I've used are Larue, American Defense, and Scalarworks.

The only time I'll recheck my zero is if I remount a magnified scope since I want as much accuracy as possible for intermediate/long ranges. I don't bother doing it for red dots, holographic sights, and ACOGs since I never use them for shooting past 300 yards.

Last edited by teflondog; 02-18-2021 at 8:02 AM..
Old 08-30-2021, 8:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Default EoTech xps2 users

The local indoor range I teach at only allows pistol caliber rifles so I moved my EXPS2 / mag combo from my .308 to an AR-9 and tried to sight for 50 feet. Elevation was no problem, but no matter how many clicks clockwise, I could not get windage to move right.

This morning I popped a bore laser into it to play at home and again, clockwise clicks didn't change windage. So I figured I would try moving the adjuster counter-clockwise (left) in case I maxed it out. As I clicked counter-clockwise, the reticle moved right and I got it lined up. WTF!?

NRA/USCCA/DOJ instructor, NRA CRSO, Journalist

Last edited by ronlglock; 08-30-2021 at 1:39 PM..
Old 08-30-2021, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlglock View Post
The local indoor range I teach at only allows pistol caliber rifles so I moved my EXPS2 / mag combo from my .308 to an AR-9 and tried to sight for 50 feet. Elevation was no problem, but no matter how many clicks clockwise, could not get windage to move right.

This morning I popped a bore laser into it to play and again, clockwise clicks didn't change windage. So I figured I would try moving the adjuster counter-clockwise (left) in case I maxed it out. As I clicked counter-clockwise, the reticle moved right and I got it lined up. WTF!?

I would contact EOTech customer service. They have been pretty quick in responding my experience, a few days.

But if you got it set now then maybe just leave it?
Old 08-30-2021, 2:40 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

XPS2-2 - I still haven’t replaced batteries in spite of having 2 2-day classes and 2 1-day range day stuff.

Then again - I always switch it OFF if not in use, and always carry spares for any electronics.

That said - my Eotech was purchased only last November.

_