Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-26-2021, 3:23 PM

Default Modified Crossbreed supertuck

I purchased a crossbreed supertuck iwb holster for my glock 19. I plan to use this holster/gun combination for conceal carrying. The tall leather back which gives more comfort while wearing unfortunately gets in the way when drawing. It's uncomfortable and a bit annoying trying to get a nice high and tight grip purchase before drawing. My thumb rubs between the leather and pistol grip and doesn't make it easy to get my thumb all the way around (I have big hands).

With that being said, i trimmed and sanded the leather to allow more grip to be exposed against my back, therefore allowing a nice high and tight grip purchase when drawing. With the leather missing, i can get a full grip before drawing.

Unfortunately, i didn't take into consideration that some of the leather was covering the mag release. The firearm does lean away from my back a bit and the thickness of the missing leather is also taken into consideration. So the mag release isn't against my back and would take a considerable amount of force to reach my back.

Should i be worried about the exposed mag release?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1314.jpg (77.9 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1315.jpg (70.6 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg supertuck_iwb_concealed_carry_gun_holsters_-_black_cowhide.jpg (101.8 KB, 97 views)
05.27.21 Livescan started, CA/FBI finished, Firearms pending
06.11.21 Livescan completed
08.02.21 Phone Call/Email to begin training
08.08.21 Training Complete, CCW Unit notified with scans of completion
09.28.21 Pick up scheduled

"That was 4 days ago. 5 days ago." - Creepy Joe
Old 08-26-2021, 3:33 PM

I did the same to mine. The fatter I got the more the leather rolled over making the draw more difficult. Works great now and there really is not much difference in comfort
Old 08-26-2021, 5:05 PM

I know many holster brands always make it a point to say their holsters protect the mag release. While it makes sense, Idk how likely it'll be that this mod will cause an issue.

Old 08-26-2021, 5:27 PM
I wish I was a Boomer...

Holsters that cover the mag release are dumb. You press the gun against the holster and the holster will press the mag release.

Crossbreed makes crappy holsters. Of course it's dumb to have a giant piece of leather precisely where you're taught to get a high tang grip on the pistol. They now have a "combat cut" option where they remove the leather.

Why does Crossbreed do this? Because it's cheaper for them to make holsters. They just use a giant flap of one-size-fits-none leather and then they don't need as many custom back pieces for each holster design. They know most of their customers are low information consumers.

All these heavily advertised holsters, whether Alien Gear, Crossbreed, We The People are all garbage.

Last edited by jessegpresley; 08-26-2021 at 5:30 PM..
Old 08-26-2021, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
Holsters that cover the mag release are dumb. You press the gun against the holster and the holster will press the mag release.

Crossbreed makes crappy holsters. Of course it's dumb to have a giant piece of leather precisely where you're taught to get a high tang grip on the pistol. They now have a "combat cut" option where they remove the leather.

Why does Crossbreed do this? Because it's cheaper for them to make holsters. They just use a giant flap of one-size-fits-none leather and then they don't need as many custom back pieces for each holster design. They know most of their customers are low information consumers.

All these heavily advertised holsters, whether Alien Gear, Crossbreed, We The People are all garbage.

Damn, Thats actually some good information. The ASP video had more wrong than i thought. The only other holster i've gotten from a friend was made by EDK on etsy or ebay i think. Its fully kydex with a wing. I don't like the clip on the back. It doesnt fit over my KORE belt good enough. I guess i will be holster shopping again.

I plan to carry around my 4-5 o clock position. I am 6'3, 300lbs. This area feels the best for me (using the hybrid however).

Old 08-26-2021, 9:42 PM
I wish I was a Boomer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeChis View Post
I guess i will be holster shopping again.

I plan to carry around my 4-5 o clock position. I am 6'3, 300lbs. This area feels the best for me (using the hybrid however).
https://tenicor.com/collections/velo...ster-for-glock

https://darkstargear.com/product/g19orion/

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWBWC2-G19.html

Old 08-28-2021, 9:38 PM

I have both a Crossbreed super tuck and a alien Gear 3.5 Cloak tuck. The Alien gear is more cut away for a better grip. I have also considered trimming my Cross Breed for a better grip but also along the bottom radius. Where its most comfortable to me, it sort of digs into my hip because the front point isnt where they intended it I guess. The Alien Gear is straight across. Im 6' 312lbs and a lefty so its most comfortable in the 8:30 position. Im still going through the process so Im not sure which holster I`ll use for EDC yet as both are comfortable. The Alien Gear clips are a PITA to remove from the belt though LOL
Old 08-29-2021, 1:14 PM

I think they call that a "combat" cut when ordering the hybrid kydex holsters. They trim more of the leather off, enabling a better grip on the gun.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain..."
Roy Batty
Old 08-30-2021, 8:16 PM

Jesse what holster for you like? I have several cross breeds
And theyíre the best holsters Iíve used. I love them. The leather pressed against the mag release and I found it released the mag inadvertently so
I got the combat cut and that solved the problem. Iíll never buy anything else! Unless
You tell me one thatís better!
Old 09-02-2021, 2:43 PM

I will say after doing much more research and being a bigger bellied individual, I ended up ordering the JX Tactical Fat Guy holster (G19 w/ TLR). I saw an individual on youtube claiming to be the creator and he has a bigger bellie than me lol. He got away with it and says it took minor getting use to. I think this holster could work for appenix with my needs. Will update when i can.

Old 09-02-2021, 6:22 PM
Insert Pithy Username
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krb View Post
Jesse what holster for you like? I have several cross breeds
And theyíre the best holsters Iíve used. I love them. The leather pressed against the mag release and I found it released the mag inadvertently so
I got the combat cut and that solved the problem. Iíll never buy anything else! Unless
You tell me one thatís better!
Iím not Jesse, nor would I presume to to tell you what is best for you but, of the three holster companies he linked to, I have tried two: JM custom and Tenecor. Both great holster but, for me, JM was the most comfortable, secure holster for AIWB I have tried among many. I prefer the non- winged AIWB to the one Jesse listed, but, that is the holster I use exclusively for CCW.
livescan 6/23 complete 6/25
training 7/12 did it proactively
issued 8/4

Re-Elect Sheriff Villanueva
Old 09-02-2021, 6:30 PM

If you have a full mag that magazine release will be plenty hard to accidentally press. Also, most mag releases are going to press on soft parts of your body.

You can experiment with it. Full mag, pelvic thrust your bed/pillows, crawl on the ground like you're a secret agent in an air vent, do yoga, drive a car pretending to be Mario Andretti. etc. I bet you dollars to donuts that the magazine doesn't release at any point.
Old 09-02-2021, 6:48 PM
Calguns Addict

That should work. I have used their QuikClip holsters every say for years and I'm 6'2" 270ish.

Unfortunately they don't seem to offer the QuikClip anymore. Closest seems to be the Freedom

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/f...b-holster.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 09-08-2021, 4:34 PM

Okay. I've been trying to wear my fat guy holster from JX Tactical in the appendix position with a Glock 19 around the house for 3 days. This holster prides itself in riding as low as possible. This **** still digs into my belly and then into my thigh.

Finding a carry position really is a difficult thing.

Old 09-08-2021, 5:14 PM
Insert Pithy Username
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Okay. I've been trying to wear my fat guy holster from JX Tactical in the appendix position with a Glock 19 around the house for 3 days. This holster prides itself in riding as low as possible. This **** still digs into my belly and then into my thigh.

Where are you wearing it? I tend to wear more 12:30 or even 12. A trainer calls this center line dick carry

Foam pads on the back of the holster will also counteract tilt out. JM has these.

For reference, Iím 6í5Ē 285 and carry appendix everyday. It can be done.

Play with where you position the holster to see if that helps. Good luck.
issued 8/4

Old 09-08-2021, 10:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I purchased a crossbreed supertuck iwb holster for my glock 19. I plan to use this holster/gun combination for conceal carrying. The tall leather back which gives more comfort while wearing unfortunately gets in the way when drawing. It's uncomfortable and a bit annoying trying to get a nice high and tight grip purchase before drawing. My thumb rubs between the leather and pistol grip and doesn't make it easy to get my thumb all the way around (I have big hands).

With that being said, i trimmed and sanded the leather to allow more grip to be exposed against my back, therefore allowing a nice high and tight grip purchase when drawing. With the leather missing, i can get a full grip before drawing.

Unfortunately, i didn't take into consideration that some of the leather was covering the mag release. The firearm does lean away from my back a bit and the thickness of the missing leather is also taken into consideration. So the mag release isn't against my back and would take a considerable amount of force to reach my back.

Should i be worried about the exposed mag release?
Carried with this holster for about a month. Very comfortable. Trimmed the excess leather and it was better.

However, still squeaky while carrying, and really difficult to replace in public.

Iíve used a Milt Sparks VM 2, with a horse hide inner lining for 8 years, and have no complaints.
Old 09-12-2021, 8:36 AM

Quote:

j

Welcome to the boxful of holsters club!

"I've got a firm policy on gun control; If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
Old 09-13-2021, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bralowe View Post
Carried with this holster for about a month. Very comfortable. Trimmed the excess leather and it was better.

However, still squeaky while carrying, and really difficult to replace in public.

Iíve used a Milt Sparks VM 2, with a horse hide inner lining for 8 years, and have no complaints.
Holster squeaks can sometimes be cured with a little baby powder, but I too ditched my hybrid (Alien Gear) and forked over some $$$ for a Milt Sparks Criterion for my G26. Wearing it for almost 3 years now. Never going back to kydex.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain..."
Roy Batty
Old 09-13-2021, 5:27 PM

One big knock on the crossbreed holster is the zero retention; Since it's kydex against leather.

With the JX Tactical Fat Guy holster (Being a Kydex AIWB), Glock 19 with TLR-1, i noticed the flashlight doesn't allow for positive click retention. It's friction lock similar to crossbreed.

Is it common to have only friction retention on pistols with lights?

Old 09-14-2021, 10:21 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Just be careful that the leather guard cannot get into the trigger guard. Especially over time as it gets more supple. You might consider reinforcing the guard with another layer of leather.

Since you did not post a full pic of your modified holster, I can't say for sure if you have anything to worry about.

Anyhow, this is the last thing you want

Old 09-14-2021, 6:25 PM
Insert Pithy Username
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Just be careful that the leather guard cannot get into the trigger guard. Especially over time as it gets more supple. You might consider reinforcing the guard with another layer of leather.

Since you did not post a full pic of your modified holster, I can't say for sure if you have anything to worry about.

Anyhow, this is the last thing you want

Damn, that is an ND waiting to happen
issued 8/4

Old 09-14-2021, 9:36 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb557 View Post
Damn, that is an ND waiting to happen
Actually IIRC, it did result in a ND and a guy got a hole in either his leg, pants, or car - can't remember, I need to find the original story.

EDIT - here is the story
https://www.itstactical.com/warcom/f...al-discharges/

Quote:
"What the hell was that?!?” she said. It took me a half a second to realize that my gun had just gone off…on my hip…in its holster. My wife and I had just finished breakfast at our favorite cafe and got into the car.

Me being the passenger, I rotated my torso to the left to fasten my seatbelt like I always do. When I straightened again, my Glock 19 discharged, blowing a 9mm hole through my pants, underwear, the leather seat and bottom of the car’s door frame.

Old 09-16-2021, 7:00 PM
Insert Pithy Username
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Actually IIRC, it did result in a ND and a guy got a hole in either his leg, pants, or car - can't remember, I need to find the original story.

EDIT - here is the story
https://www.itstactical.com/warcom/f...al-discharges/
WowÖ.Ive personally witnessed 3 NDS having to to with the draw stroke or reholstering, but never something like this
issued 8/4