Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:51 PM

Default {Deleted}

{Deleted}

Last edited by TheYupper; 06-10-2021 at 11:56 PM..
Old 06-10-2021, 1:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Cannot possess an unregistered assault weapon or register an assault weapon in Ca. Making it featureless or fixed mag ok.
Old 06-10-2021, 2:06 PM

You can do it, but you have to be aware of all the hoops you would have to jump through to do it legally.

You can't build an assault weapon so that means featureless or fixed mag.

You have to get either a registered receiver to build it on or jump through all the hoops of legally registering and building an 80% lower.

You need to comply with 922r

In the end it isn't worth it anymore.
Old 06-10-2021, 2:25 PM

That is really expensive wood and steel.
Old 06-10-2021, 3:17 PM

Yes, that kit is perfectly legal to buy & ship to CA

Old 06-10-2021, 4:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitdank View Post
Old 06-10-2021, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitdank View Post
This is the type of kit a high end collector would buy, and have built professionally. It’s not the run of the mill Romy G or AMD kit that can be found for cheap

Old 06-10-2021, 5:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Kit is legal.
However you need to spend another $1000 at least in tooling to put it togethsr.
Old 06-10-2021, 5:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYupper View Post
I am interested in purchasing this parts kit, and assembling it into a CA legal rifle following the assault weapon guidelines and 922r. I believe this kit is legal, as it has no functional receiver. Can anyone confirm if it is? Thanks.

https://rguns.net/shop/russian-ak47-...akm-parts-kit/

DROS a receiver (NDS, Childers, Morrissey), and get a barrel, side rail (if you want one), fire control group, and rivet kit. Also some fin grip to build it featureless.

Take it to Randall and have him build and parkerize it for you. Easy peasy, your done! No need to spend another $1,000 to buy the tools and build it yourself.

Last edited by Paseclipse; 06-10-2021 at 5:57 PM..
Old 06-10-2021, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

The description is a little funny, do they mean the rifle was cut into pieces? It looks like the barrel was sawed in two, is that what they are talking about?
Old 06-11-2021, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member

OP vaguely asked if it was legal to bring in an AK parts kit and assemble it. But wasn't clear if he's making his own flat or buying a pre-stamped & fully DROSd flat. Then after he got his answers he deleted his post because got his answer, who cares about anyone else who has a similar question, right?!

But yes, AK kits typically come from de-milled rifles meaning the receiver is cut and generally the barrel is also cut. So the builder will need to provide his own receiver (just the bottom part, the dust cover is intact) and a barrel. But the rest of the parts are included, they just need to be removed.
Old 06-11-2021, 9:53 AM

I “deleted” my original post because I had posted that while on my break (night shift) and my work’s wifi flagged me for “nefarious activity” and HR wanted me to delete said nefarious activity. Someone quoted my original question so I hope anyone who wants to see it can see my original post that way. Thank you everyone for your replies, I just did not want to get into trouble with work.

I was planning to buy a childers 100% and build it off of that. I will also be buying a us made featureless grip for compliance and having one of the 6 922r required parts. I just asked the original question because I wanted to be sure there was not some law against parts kits that I was not aware of.

Last edited by TheYupper; 06-11-2021 at 9:56 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-11-2021, 6:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmandan View Post
This is the type of kit a high end collector would buy, and have built professionally. It’s not the run of the mill Romy G or AMD kit that can be found for cheap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseclipse View Post
DROS a receiver (NDS, Childers, Morrissey), and get a barrel, side rail (if you want one), fire control group, and rivet kit. Also some fin grip to build it featureless.

Take it to Randall and have him build and parkerize it for you. Easy peasy, your done! No need to spend another $1,000 to buy the tools and build it yourself.
Actually it's about $500 for the tools and jigs from AK builder.

$160 for a barrel. Probably less than $100 for the remainder of the small parts.

Build it and a few others and sell the tools and jigs for $100 less than you paid.

It's not that hard. I would start with a cheaper kit and build experience.

I'm no "professional". More like a very experienced novice.

I built this Soviet Tula rifle from a new kit last year.

I would put it's quality up against any "pro" builder.

In fact some "pro" builders skimp on details such as making sure the visible rivets inside the front and rear trunnions have rounded heads just as they came from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 06-11-2021, 6:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYupper View Post
I “deleted” my original post because I had posted that while on my break (night shift) and my work’s wifi flagged me for “nefarious activity” and HR wanted me to delete said nefarious activity. Someone quoted my original question so I hope anyone who wants to see it can see my original post that way. Thank you everyone for your replies, I just did not want to get into trouble with work.

I was planning to buy a childers 100% and build it off of that. I will also be buying a us made featureless grip for compliance and having one of the 6 922r required parts. I just asked the original question because I wanted to be sure there was not some law against parts kits that I was not aware of.
Don't be put off by people telling you to not try it yourself. I imaging none of those guys has actually built an AK.

It's a challenge, but not that difficult.

But be warned once you build one you will get the AK bug and want to build many more!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.