Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 06-09-2021, 5:40 PM

Default Seeking a picatinny mount solution

Hello All.

I recently purchased a bullpup shotgun Tavor TS 12 GA which features a very long picatinny rail where itís possible to mount a red dot sight (which in my case is a Meprolight M21 self powered reflex sight) or collapsible flip up iron sights.
Now, my intention is to find a solution to have both of the options co-existing on the rail, the flip up iron sights and the red dot.

Therefore, I was wondering if there is any picatinny plate on the market that allows a red dot that is attached to it to rotate either to the right or to the left, same principle of certain magnifiers that can be tilted laterally out of the way. The iron sights require an unobstructed line of sight that its not there when the M21 red dot is in place, but they are still tall enough to hold an ideal line of sight if the whole red dot unit could swivel pivoting to the right or to the left. I researched the internet, but I couldnít find any picatinny accessory that performs this action, but I donít know if that is because the accessory doesnít exist or instead I didnít do my research correctly.

I do not have a lot of experience in rifles/shotguns rigs so Iím here to ask for some help to more knowledgeable people. Thank you !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2021, 7:00 PM
Calguns Addict

A picture would really help. Is the red dot too low? Maybe put it on a riser. I’ve see 45 degree irons on ar15’s but don’t know if that would work on your set up.
Old 06-09-2021, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

You are unnecessarily complicating things. Mount one or the other. Or both. If you mount both, the iron sights will have an absolute cowitness with the Meprolight.

But before you do that, step back and think why you want a flip-to-side picatinny rail in the first place. (that's the search term, btw) The flip-to-side magnifiers make sense (somewhat) because sometimes you want a magnified view, sometimes you don't. But the Mepro 21 is not magnified, and obviously neither are the iron sights. So the only real purpose to have 2 sights that do the same thing is redundancy if one fails. Aren't you buying the Mepro because it's quality? People have that redundant setup on rifles because at rifle distances aiming is absolutely necessary. Red dots typically for quick hits & iron sights for more precise needs. But shotguns aren't used at rifle distances & aren't really aimed, they're pointed. Plenty of people have gotten by with just a little tab on the end of their barrel as their only aiming system. So do you really need 2 aiming systems?

Purpose determines the gear.

Last edited by kcheung2; 06-09-2021 at 7:59 PM..
Old 06-09-2021, 8:36 PM

Well its a shotgun, why the need for both. Even slugs aren't considered a long distance projectile, maybe 200 yds, maybe. Stick to irons, really. But if you got money to burn grab an offset mount and stick the Red Dot on there.
Old 06-09-2021, 8:50 PM
Calguns Addict

I’d probably get a nice set of glow in the dark ghost ring sights. I have a red dot on my turkey 20 gauge shotgun but don’t think I’d ever run a red dot on a defensive shotgun. Red dot was put on for my nephews. My HD shotgun set up has a light attached to it so whatever the light is on, the pellets will hit.
Old 06-10-2021, 6:53 AM
Veteran Member

The best option is to cowitness your red dot with the iron sights. The 2nd best option is to replace your iron sights with 45-degree iron sights.