Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-09-2019, 2:50 PM

I would go for the Henry, mostly because they're pretty widely available and very affordable used and new. I have the octagonal barrel "frontier" model in .22LR, I bought it brand new for $380. Had I looked for it used I probably could have grabbed it for much less.

The reason I say this is that I am not sure build quality is much of an issue with .22LR lever action rifles. The Winchester 94s do have some really cool looking engraved receivers and walnut stocks and everything, if that's worth the extra $650+ dollars, then go for it. But, if I were going to drop the cash on a Winchester 94, I'd just go with one of the larger caliber ones (like the 30-30). Just my thoughts.

A lever action .22 is going to be a blast plinking and shooting snakes and squirrels with no matter which one you get. I would go with whatever one you feel makes you look cooler while shooting. The extra flair does look cool, I just liked the finish of the stock on the Henry and I wanted the longer octagonal barrel so I went with that one. The octagonal barrel on the 94/22 is significantly more scratch and I didn't want the nickel engraved receiver bad enough to pay the difference. BUT the Winchester's I've seen in person are basically heirloom quality.
Old 07-11-2019, 4:04 PM

Holding the Winchester 9422 you feel liked you the only kid on the block has the Winchester. The price tag for the Winchester 9422 is around 1K, I am a cheap guy, for 1K to spend on the .22LR rifle instead of get the Winchester 9422 I will get : a Henry lever, S&W 15-22 and Ruger 10-22. Or a Henry Golden Boy and 20K rds of .22LR ammo
And of cause you can get the Winchester if money is no subject.

Last edited by newbie1234; 07-11-2019 at 4:07 PM..
Old 07-12-2019, 8:04 PM

I have a once fired 1974 Winchester 94 30/30 and a 1950s ridden hard and put away wet Marlin 336 30/30. Having only shot the Marlin but cycled and handled both, I really prefer the Marlin.
Is the difference between the Winchester 9422 and Marlin 39A equivalent to the difference between the Winchester 94 30/30 and the Marlin 336 30/30?
Old 07-12-2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalibass View Post
I have a once fired 1974 Winchester 94 30/30 and a 1950s ridden hard and put away wet Marlin 336 30/30. Having only shot the Marlin but cycled and handled both, I really prefer the Marlin.
What do you think it is about the Marlin that makes you prefer it?

Quote:
Is the difference between the Winchester 9422 and Marlin 39A equivalent to the difference between the Winchester 94 30/30 and the Marlin 336 30/30?

Probably not. The 9422 is a lot like the 94, but the 39A is not much like a 336 IMO (the Mountie has a straight wrist unlike the 336 or full size 39A, so if anything itís more like a 94!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2019, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
What do you think it is about the Marlin that makes you prefer it?
The pistol grip of the 336 is more comfortable and points more naturally for me than the straight stock of the 94. The 336 also cycles as smooth as glass whereas the 94 has several distinct clunky motions to cycle it. It could very well be that the 94ís action will slick up once itís been fired more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
Probably not. The 9422 is a lot like the 94, but the 39A is not much like a 336 IMO (the Mountie has a straight wrist unlike the 336 or full size 39A, so if anything itís more like a 94!).
I havenít picked up our 39A yet but it has a pistol grip and looks a lot like the 336 to me.
Old 07-13-2019, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalibass View Post
The pistol grip of the 336 is more comfortable and points more naturally for me than the straight stock of the 94. The 336 also cycles as smooth as glass whereas the 94 has several distinct clunky motions to cycle it. It could very well be that the 94ís action will slick up once itís been fired more.
Yeah I was wondering if it was the stock. I grew up shooting straight stocks so pistol grips feel a little odd to me, but I like them fine. As for the action, the 336 is a (relatively) more modern design, having been created in the 40ís rather than the 1890ís. The cylindrical bolt definitely helps give the smooth feel, and I believe it has fewer moving parts. (Iíve completely stripped both, but not for a while now so donít hold me to that)

Quote:
I havenít picked up our 39A yet but it has a pistol grip and looks a lot like the 336 to me.

Ok thatís probably a full size, not a Mountie. The action should be nice and easy to work, but to me at least not the same feel as 336. The action dates from the same era as the 94.

Iíll be curious what you think about the length after youíve had it for a while. I had both Mountie and full size but sold the full size because it felt unwieldy as a plinking gun with its 24 inch barrel. The Mountie has a 20 inch barrel like most 94 and 336 models.

Anyhow I hope you & your kid enjoy the gun! Canít wait until my kids are old (and responsible) enough to shoot!

Old 07-13-2019, 8:25 AM

Thanks for your feed back, much appreciated!