Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKSD View Post
Study guide? I have had at least 7-8 of my friends take the test. Just to prove to them how stupid it is. The deal was, if they fail, I will be buying the beer. Being non gun guys, surprisingly to them, they all passed. Free beer!
My wife doesn't make a difference between AR and AK, she passed it as well. Now she is very safe... LOL!
Yeah, I walked into a store for information on what I needed to know, they stuck a test in my hand and I passed... Hadn't touched a firearm in over 25 years. I can pick it up on the 12th lol. So much for information gathering.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2018, 11:05 AM

All this is funny, and it's not. It has gotten to the point where gun owners need an attorney on retainer in California. Yes, handgun with current hsc, if you are taller then 4ft 4, and no taller than 6ft 8 inches, You weigh in at 110 lbs, but but no more than 315lbs. Vision must be 20 20 or corrected, unless it's greater than 20 40. Purchase must be completed on a day that the temperature did not exceed 100 degrees (hot days known to cause anger). Purchase cannot be completed <24hrs prior to a full moon, or after a full moon. Purchased weapon must have a minimum trigger pull of 6lbs, but no greater than 10lbs. Purchaser cannot have a domestic violence 6 months prior to purchase, exemption for this includes, elected public officials, celebrities and current NFL players.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2018, 10:26 PM

Can an FFL charge more than $25 for the test and card?
Old 07-26-2018, 10:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclerandy View Post
Can an FFL charge more than $25 for the test and card?
Bad question.

The question should be is it legal for a FSC instructor to charge more than $25 for the test and card, to which the answer is no.

Your question the answer is obviously yes because people violate the law.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 07-26-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
Bad question.

The question should be is it legal for a FSC instructor to charge more than $25 for the test and card, to which the answer is no.

Your question the answer is obviously yes because people violate the law.
Would you be willing to post a link to the laws pertaining to it being illegal please?
Old 07-26-2018, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Is anyone else amazed that this thread from 01/01/15 is still going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2018, 10:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Would you be willing to post a link to the laws pertaining to it being illegal please?
See the CA PC. You can also call the CA DOJ. I don't have time right now to look up the law for you, unless you want to hire me to do so.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 07-26-2018, 10:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fscfaqs#b8

Old 07-26-2018, 11:22 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
CA PC 31650 says the fee is $25
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...ctionNum=31650.

Is there a criminal penalty for violation? I am not sure. But repeated violations would probably result in certification being revoked, and open oneself up to civil proceedings by those aggrieved, perhaps even a class action. Sounds like fun, amiright?

Old 08-01-2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisnaps View Post
Yeah, I walked into a store for information on what I needed to know, they stuck a test in my hand and I passed... Hadn't touched a firearm in over 25 years. I can pick it up on the 12th lol. So much for information gathering.
I know little about CA gun laws, being mainly a Nevada resident and I only missed one question on my CA Safety Certificate. The one I missed was could I sell a gun I owned direct to a brother without the FFL. I assumed CA would be much like Q1 here in NV, but I should have known that's not the case, as CA gun laws are ridiculous, IMO.

Right now, I am one of the few people who can legally buy guns in two states. CA & NV. I have an old NV Driver's license (and NV CCW) and a new CA Real ID, so neither are marked as "federal restrictions apply". I recently purchased a new Kimber .45 ACP Stainless 2 at Bass Pro Shops in Rocklin, CA to keep at my house in Auburn, CA.

I will probably buy a few more CA guns to keep in CA.

Most of the guns I own here in Reno are illegal in CA, or at least cannot be purchased new in CA. I own many scary looking rifles, such as my PS90, AR57 with the 50 round magazines. And my FN FiveseveN with 30 round mags. And a Calico 9MM with 100 round magazines. And my Zero Round magazine 9MM Freedom Ordnance pistol.

If it's legal in CA, I don't want it here in NV!

-Don- Reno, NV
Old 03-15-2019, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
I know little about CA gun laws, being mainly a Nevada resident and I only missed one question on my CA Safety Certificate. The one I missed was could I sell a gun I owned direct to a brother without the FFL. I assumed CA would be much like Q1 here in NV, but I should have known that's not the case, as CA gun laws are ridiculous, IMO.

Right now, I am one of the few people who can legally buy guns in two states. CA & NV. I have an old NV Driver's license (and NV CCW) and a new CA Real ID, so neither are marked as "federal restrictions apply". I recently purchased a new Kimber .45 ACP Stainless 2 at Bass Pro Shops in Rocklin, CA to keep at my house in Auburn, CA.

I will probably buy a few more CA guns to keep in CA.

Most of the guns I own here in Reno are illegal in CA, or at least cannot be purchased new in CA. I own many scary looking rifles, such as my PS90, AR57 with the 50 round magazines. And my FN FiveseveN with 30 round mags. And a Calico 9MM with 100 round magazines. And my Zero Round magazine 9MM Freedom Ordnance pistol.

If it's legal in CA, I don't want it here in NV!

-Don- Reno, NV

Mind listing any of the guns you have that would be good to go here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2019, 2:37 PM

I'm a little behind the times, since my HSC expired more than a decade ago, and I do not need one at present.

Someone I know has decided to buy a handgun. They completed a hunter's safety course and have the certificate from that. Down here in SoCal/OC, there is a chain which used to do the HSC-- I assume they may still do that-- but where should my friend go to get the new FSC?

I looked on the AG's site, but it's not like they have a list of approved providers like with LiveScan. Clue a fellow shooter in?
Old 04-17-2019, 2:44 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post
I'm a little behind the times, since my HSC expired more than a decade ago, and I do not need one at present.

Someone I know has decided to buy a handgun. They completed a hunter's safety course and have the certificate from that. Down here in SoCal/OC, there is a chain which used to do the HSC-- I assume they may still do that-- but where should my friend go to get the new FSC?

I looked on the AG's site, but it's not like they have a list of approved providers like with LiveScan. Clue a fellow shooter in?
Most gun stores will give the test. See https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fscinfo

By repute, some stores are biased toward giving the test to buyers, which should not be a problem in the situation you describe.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-17-2019, 4:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal m1 shooter View Post

The Hunting license exemption is only valid for long guns, not handguns. For long guns, they would need a hunting license, not just have taken the safety course.

Any dealer should be able to issue the test and the FSC. All dealers have to have a FSC instructor since it is required to do the FSC safety demo unless the person is exempt and most people are not exempt.

The cost total is $25, $15 to the state and $10 to the dealer.

Old 04-17-2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
The Hunting license exemption is only valid for long guns, not handguns. For long guns, they would need a hunting license, not just have taken the safety course.

Any dealer should be able to issue the test and the FSC. All dealers have to have a FSC instructor since it is required to do the FSC safety demo unless the person is exempt and most people are not exempt.

The cost total is $25, $15 to the state and $10 to the dealer.
Appreciate the clarification, because-- what a shocker-- when you read the AG's page, it is about as clear as mud. I'm sure that is not an accident.

I figured the hunter safety course certificate would not be of use, no harm in erring on the side of caution and having it handy, but I was wrong.

I've known the guy who'll buy the gun for a while. He resisted a number of invitations to come shooting over the years, finally came with me to the range recently, and is now buying a handgun for home defensive use.

Thanks for the quick replies
Old 07-13-2019, 10:08 PM

Default Name Change

Hey

To DOJ instructors or anyone in the know

I have an FSC that has a typo in my name and I was wondering if I have to go and get a new FSC to fix that type or can I go back to the DOJ instructor to get the error fixed?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2020, 2:28 PM

Hey Librarian,

Don't know how familiar you are with item (4) below, but thought you may know.

1. Is the exemption (4) still valid?
2. What is required in terms of time and money for that training?
3. What exactly is the training and its duration?

(4) Any person who has successfully completed the course of training specified in Section 832.

Assuming one invested the time and money and successfully completed said training, would they then be exempt for life?

https://cdn0.iconfinder.com/data/icons/flags-of-the-world-2/128/united-states-3-512.png

U.S. Army SGT 3ID 1st BN 30th IN Veteran DAV '84-'88 (Germany) | G43, P99C, PPS / PPQ M1 (Classic), HK P2000

War Is a Racket by Two-time Medal of Honor recipient, USMC MG Smedley Butler

Best Place to Retire
Old 06-07-2020, 2:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCloud9 View Post
Hey Librarian,

Don't know how familiar you are with item (4) below, but thought you may know.

1. Is the exemption (4) still valid?
2. What is required in terms of time and money for that training?
3. What exactly is the training and its duration?

(4) Any person who has successfully completed the course of training specified in Section 832.

Assuming one invested the time and money and successfully completed said training, would they then be exempt for life?
1) That's still in the PC -
Quote:

(a) The following persons, properly identified, are exempted from the firearm safety certificate requirement in subdivision (a) of Section 31615:

832 is
Quote:

(a) Every person described in this chapter as a peace officer shall satisfactorily complete an introductory training course prescribed by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training. On or after July 1, 1989, satisfactory completion of the course shall be demonstrated by passage of an appropriate examination developed or approved by the commission. Training in the carrying and use of firearms shall not be required of a peace officer whose employing agency prohibits the use of firearms.
Here's the description - https://post.ca.gov/pc-832-arrest-and-firearms-course
Quote:
Curriculum

The Arrest and Firearms (PC 832) course consists of two components, which total a minimum of 64 hours. The Arrest component has a 40-hour requirement, and the Firearms component has a 24-hour requirement. These components are divided into 14 individual topics, called Learning Domains. The Learning Domains contain the minimum required foundational information for given subjects. The training and testing specifications for a particular domain may also include information on required instructional activities and testing requirements. The specific learning domains are identified in the PC 832 training specifications.
Some community colleges have the course, e.g. https://www.redwoods.edu/cte/aj/blea and they say
Quote:
APPROXIMATE Total Cost (excluding out-of-state tuition+ housing+ food+ and transportation) $4,000 to 4,500
The PC does not specify a date or expiration time, so I suppose once done, FSC exempt forever. (Or, until the Leg. changes the law)

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Last edited by Librarian; 06-07-2020 at 3:03 PM..
Old 06-07-2020, 4:53 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategist102 View Post
Hey

To DOJ instructors or anyone in the know

I have an FSC that has a typo in my name and I was wondering if I have to go and get a new FSC to fix that type or can I go back to the DOJ instructor to get the error fixed?

Thanks!
They can fix it. I don't recall if it'll cost you $5 or not.
phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Amazon Links Posted May be Paid Links
Old 06-08-2020, 10:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
They can fix it. I don't recall if it'll cost you $5 or not.
They shouldn't charge you for correcting an error. I'm an FSC instructor. If you've already passed the test and have an unexpired FSC with some error on it, I'd correct it without a big fuss.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 06-08-2020, 11:03 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
They shouldn't charge you for correcting an error. I'm an FSC instructor. If you've already passed the test and have an unexpired FSC with some error on it, I'd correct it without a big fuss.
DOJ may charge you $5 for the privilege. That was the charge I was referring to not so much on whether the instructor will pass it on or not.

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 06-09-2020, 10:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
DOJ may charge you $5 for the privilege. That was the charge I was referring to not so much on whether the instructor will pass it on or not.
Gotcha. That is possible. I've never had to re-issue one due to error in the original. I don't doubt that DOJ would charge a fee for making a change.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 06-15-2020, 8:13 AM

Default Legalshield

Is there an equivalent to Legal Shield for gun owners, where you pay a small monthly "retainer"?
Old 07-01-2020, 9:59 AM

A LGS refused to allow a friend to take the FSC after waiting for 2 hours unless they were purchasing a firearm. I was under the impression that an FFL was required to give the test as part of being an FFL or am I wrong? Any local SoCal FFL's allowing a person to take the test without purchasing?
Old 07-01-2020, 10:04 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman21 View Post
A LGS refused to allow a friend to take the FSC after waiting for 2 hours unless they were purchasing a firearm. I was under the impression that an FFL was required to give the test as part of being an FFL or am I wrong? Any local SoCal FFL's allowing a person to take the test without purchasing?
I don't know if they are required to do so on the spot. We are in the same boat and are not doing standalone FSC tests due to time/resources. Once the current panic dies down we will resume. I have done FSC tests for a few folks that needed it for an intrafamilial transfer since it's required as input on the form. We are not currently doing for folks that "just want to get it out of the way" since it can be done during the background check process and there's not too much of a need to do ahead of time except in a few circumstances.

Before we restricted FSC test appointments I had some days a few weeks ago that were all FSC test appointments. This meant all my customers waiting to pick up / start DROS had to wait another day. None of those standalone FSC tests I did in the first weeks of the panic have returned for a transfer either so it really was wasted time on my part.

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 07-01-2020, 10:21 AM

I appreciate you responding, I am sure you know the issue is that a FSC is required not just for buying a firearm but the loaning of one as well.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:16 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman21 View Post
I appreciate you responding, I am sure you know the issue is that a FSC is required not just for buying a firearm but the loaning of one as well.
Yes, and if we were presented with that as the reason someone needed one we would do it. 99.9% of the people asking for the test are not that reason. Similar to the scenario for the intrafamilial transfer that required it.

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 07-30-2020, 8:50 AM

Anyone know of an FFL allowing FSC testing without purchasing a firearm at the time?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2020, 4:24 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408essj View Post
Anyone know of an FFL allowing FSC testing without purchasing a firearm at the time?

Where are you at and what is the reason you are looking to get it now?

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 07-30-2020, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Where are you at and what is the reason you are looking to get it now?
Im in san jose, i expired last month. Im looking to purchase a pistol thru a PPT.

Old 07-30-2020, 5:05 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Im in san jose, i expired last month. Im looking to purchase a pistol thru a PPT.

The shop you're doing the PPT at will provide the FSC in most cases. Check with them first rather than waste a trip to do that ahead of time. We have PPT appointments, but the schedule is currently out until 2nd-3rd week of August. If you want to do it with us please email sales@ugimports.com and we can find a date/time that will work.

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 07-30-2020, 5:55 PM

Quote:
The shop you're doing the PPT at will provide the FSC in most cases. Check with them first rather than waste a trip to do that ahead of time. We have PPT appointments, but the schedule is currently out until 2nd-3rd week of August. If you want to do it with us please email sales@ugimports.com and we can find a date/time that will work.
Now that is customer service! Honest and willing to help. There is no super rush so an appointment would be just great. Let me see what flexibility the seller has. And i can can see what hours work. Thank u

Old 08-15-2020, 4:01 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by czakita View Post
How far in advance can a currently active FSC be renewed? Is the renewal process the same as new applicants? Anymore details is appreciated. Thank you.
Whenever you want. Exactly same process as new applicants. New 5 year window starts from that date I believe.

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 09-13-2020, 2:11 PM

Quote:

Obviously, it's been long enough this particular case is handled, but for future people searching, as of September 2020, Turner's will definitely give you a test without a purchase (though you wait in line like all the other Firearm folks). Big 5 will not, without a firearm (rifle/shotgun) purchase (I even offered to buy ammo).

IMHO, you should take care of the FSC before showing up for a PPT. Ideally, make your first purchase with a retailer to register you in the system and prevent surprises that make somebody else drive out twice.

Oh, and remember the exception of a military or LEO being able to purchase a long gun under the age of 21. That's pertinent to one quirky question that's an exception to the usual 'most restrictive answer is correct'.
Old 09-13-2020, 2:32 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrixmyth View Post
Obviously, it's been long enough this particular case is handled, but for future people searching, as of September 2020, Turner's will definitely give you a test without a purchase (though you wait in line like all the other Firearm folks). Big 5 will not, without a firearm (rifle/shotgun) purchase (I even offered to buy ammo).

IMHO, you should take care of the FSC before showing up for a PPT. Ideally, make your first purchase with a retailer to register you in the system and prevent surprises that make somebody else drive out twice.

Oh, and remember the exception of a military or LEO being able to purchase a long gun under the age of 21. That's pertinent to one quirky question that's an exception to the usual 'most restrictive answer is correct'.
Big 5 answer may be location dependent. I've been told by customers that the Big 5 near me will process FSC w/out purchase. So I would advise to call ahead to see if you plan to go to one.

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Old 09-13-2020, 2:48 PM

In general an FSC is only necessary for a purchase.

If anyone is looking to get an FSC before a purchase or for a PPT, realize that it is a necessary component before you are able to register a firearm so whatever shop is going to facilitate the transaction will provide the test for you granted you prompt that shop.

It would be a better use of time for people who are looking to buy to just find some quotes on items they are interested in before committing to a shop. Most shops don't have the time to issue an FSC by itself right now.
Old 09-13-2020, 2:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrixmyth View Post

Any non-prohibited person 18-20 may purchase a long gun;
Fedlaw 18 USC 922
Quote:
(b)
It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age,

and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
CA law PC 27510 requires a hunting license for the general case
Quote:

(a) A person licensed under Sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive, shall not sell, supply, deliver, or give possession or control of a firearm to any person who is under 21 years of age.

(b) (1) Subdivision (a) does not apply to or affect the sale, supplying, delivery, or giving possession or control of a firearm that is not a handgun or a semiautomatic centerfire rifle to a person 18 years of age or older who possesses a valid, unexpired hunting license issued by the Department of Fish and Wildlife.
(That 'semiautomatic centerfire rifle' is a recent addition)

Same section includes the peace officer and military exemptions, without the goofy 'semiautomatic centerfire rifle' language.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 03-03-2021, 5:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatPunkGirl View Post
What is your view on the FSC?
Me?

It's garbage.

They lied about the BFSC being 'lifetime', they expanded "HSC" to "FSC".

The only thing that limited bit of education might have helped was reducing accidental shootings by new gun owners, and they never proposed, funded or performed a survey to determine whether that might have happened.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 03-18-2021, 8:41 AM
Banned

What do you all think about the FSC? do you think it should be removed or should other states follow?
Old 03-18-2021, 8:51 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry91ggateroos View Post
What do you all think about the FSC? do you think it should be removed or should other states follow?
See the post literally right before yours..

are you and ThatPunkGirl related?

Crowdsourced 2A Calendar

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!