Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2019, 6:58 PM

Default Travelling with AR Plane Question

Hello Calguns, I need some help. Mods please feel free to move if wrong section.
I've moved to TN and my brother is coming to visit in November. He is gifting me his AR to get it out of CA. Question is, how can he bring it legally to me ? It has a bullet button but according to new laws it's an AW. He is traveling by plane. Can he ship me the upper and just bring the lower with him in his checked luggage ?
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-09-2019, 7:06 PM

Beyond a check to make sure it's unloaded, I've never had anyone at any airport check into any legalities regarding a firearm in checked luggage, and that includes coming back from deployment with a select fire weapon checked while traveling in civilian clothes. Just separate the upper and lower in the case and rock and roll I say. Of course I'm not a lawyer and my advice is worth what you paid me for it.
Old 10-09-2019, 7:10 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Pretty sure he could also ship it intact. I believe you can ship it to yourself, similar to how people sometimes do for a hunting trip. Then he could gift it once he takes possession in the state he shipped to. In other words he could probably ship it to your address, and open the package once he gets there since it's a long gun, and then give it to you.

My advice is also worth exactly what you paid for it.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 10-09-2019, 7:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just ship it USPS.

Old 10-09-2019, 7:25 PM
retired Goon

Regardless to how it gets to TN, it needs to be transferred through a TN FFL dealer.

Federal laws prohibits the transfer of firearms between residents of different States unless a FFL is utilized. [18 USC 922(a)(3)&(5)]

There is no intra-familila or gift exemption to the Federal laws.

Failure to utilize a FFL equates to a Federal felony for everyone involved with the transfer. [18 USC 924(a)(1)(D)]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 10-09-2019, 7:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated !
Old 10-09-2019, 8:31 PM

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ammunition.jsp

You can just check it like any other luggage. It needs to be in a hard-sided case with TSA accessible locks. No ammunition can be transported in the same container.

Just go to ticketing and let them know what you have in the case, if they have been around long enough, it will not surprise them and will know the proper procedure for handling from their end. At the arrival airport, you will need to pick it up from the baggage claim office and show ID. Airlines transport Firearms all the time, just out of California it may be something they're not as familiar with, but all ticketing agents go to the same training on special baggage handling, no matter where they are located.

Last edited by Caligula36; 10-09-2019 at 8:34 PM..
Old 10-09-2019, 8:38 PM

Fud above.
Hard sided case. Harbor freight has a nice one.
Locks that ONLY YOU have keys to.
Ammo is limited to 11 pounds or something like that
Walk to ticket counter and say I would like to declare. They fill out paper. You sign said paper. May have to open case at ticket counter. Maynot.
Baggage is typically on the caracal with all other baggage. Read print and follow airline your flying on regulations. They are quite simple. Pm me with questions.
Old 10-09-2019, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinjason233 View Post
Fud above.
Hard sided case. Harbor freight has a nice one.
Locks that ONLY YOU have keys to.
Ammo is limited to 11 pounds or something like that
Walk to ticket counter and say I would like to declare. They fill out paper. You sign said paper. May have to open case at ticket counter. Maynot.
Baggage is typically on the caracal with all other baggage. Read print and follow airline your flying on regulations. They are quite simple. Pm me with questions.
What fud? I just repeated what you just said and what is stated by the airline.

OP, feel free to use any locks you want, you can bill this guy when you find them cut off by TSA.
Old 10-09-2019, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula36 View Post
What fud? I just repeated what you just said and what is stated by the airline.

OP, feel free to use any locks you want, you can bill this guy when you find them cut off by TSA.
Fly with guns a couple times a year and I can assure you that they have to be NON TSA locks.
Old 10-09-2019, 9:09 PM

I’ve had non TSa locks cut off by the Tsa after the initial TSA checking. Every experience will be different. Be vigilant. Know the laws.
Old 10-09-2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongTower View Post
Fly with guns a couple times a year and I can assure you that they have to be NON TSA locks.
This, never TSA locks, none has access to the case but you. I usually just pack a large pelican case and throw a handgun in so I can lock the whole thing when traveling somewhere I can shoot said handgun.
Old 10-09-2019, 9:20 PM

Non TSA locks are required and up to 11 pounds of ammo can be in the same case.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongTower View Post
Negative Ghost Rider. TSA locks are permissible, at least according to TSA.

To be clear, the way the actual law is written seems to suggest that TSA locks are not permissible. At least that's the way it seems to me. TSA's site used to affirm this but it was changed recently and now says that TSA locks are ok. Personally I would use my own locks. But if you do travel with TSA locks, it's probably a good idea to bring a copy of this in case an agent hassles you.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition
Quote:
Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

Fighter Pilot
Old 10-10-2019, 10:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Must go thru ffl there. No other options.

Last edited by edgerly779; 10-10-2019 at 10:36 AM..
Old 10-10-2019, 10:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Firearm and ammo in same hardsided case 11 lbs max in factory packaging or mags. FUD from Caligula did not even tread his own reference.. non tsa locks for me.

Last edited by edgerly779; 10-10-2019 at 10:35 AM..
Old 10-10-2019, 10:36 AM

What do you mean by “must go through FFL here. No other options.”? Are you in Tennessee?
Old 10-10-2019, 11:07 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
What do you mean by “must go through FFL here. No other options.”? Are you in Tennessee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Must go thru ffl there. No other options.
He wrote "there" = TN, not "here".
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobladz View Post
I've moved to TN and my brother is coming to visit in November. He is gifting me his AR to get it out of CA.
CA brother is bringing rifle to TN brother; Federal law requires the interstate transfer - CA resident to TN resident - to use an FFL; in this case, most convenient would probably be a TN FFL.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 10-10-2019 at 11:12 AM..
Old 10-10-2019, 11:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If they cut the locks they put a tsa lock on and give you combo. Happened to me on way back from Alaska. My case was with baggage office with envelop.with combo in it. American Airlines does not allow ammo in mags so I never travel with them. Southwes and Alaska most 2a friendly /

Last edited by edgerly779; 10-10-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Old 10-10-2019, 12:30 PM

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transport...and-ammunition

Says use any type lock you want, including "TSA recognized" locks.

4th bullet point, last line. Not sure why it also says "only the passenger can retain the key." Seems a little contradicting. I guess since TSA locks aren't keyed alike. If you use a TSA lock only you keep the key to your TSA lock.

Last edited by SlowDrifter; 10-10-2019 at 12:37 PM..