Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 09-03-2019, 5:19 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
I also have a Big Agnes Expedition Copper Spur that is $550 bucks. I spent the last week and a half in it. It's very light weight, compact, fits in my multi day hunt pack, and isn't big enough for me. I will likely sell it (only used once!) somewhat soon, and search for something a hair bigger for my over-size body.

No point in blowing five hundred bucks on a high tech fancy lightweight backpacking tent, if you're going to camp by the rig.
Spyder- Have you seen the Big Agnes Copper Spur Hotel HV UL2? The fly has an extended (HUGE) vestibule area. You could probably stretch out if you laid with your upper torso in the tent and your legs and feet out into the vestibule. Not ideal in the buggy season with no full mesh coverage, but probably long enough for you.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 09-13-2019, 8:36 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I have not, but I'll look in to it! Finding stuff to fit me is a ...chore.
Old 09-13-2019, 9:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Years ago, I bought this 4 person tent from Cabelas, Alaskan Guide, https://www.cabelas.com/product/camp...6.uts?slotId=1 This was the best tent, I have ever owned or used. I liked it so much, I bought the 8 person tent for family camping. My wife and daughter do not like to camp, so if you are interested, I am willing to sell my 8 person tent. I am keeping my 4 person tent for future camping and hunting trips with my buddies.
Old 09-13-2019, 9:20 AM

I bought a couple decent tents years ago, now we just rent one as needed. Nice tents can be rented pretty cheaply. So, depending on how often you would use it, that might be an option.
Old 09-13-2019, 2:44 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicOrange View Post
I bought a couple decent tents years ago, now we just rent one as needed. Nice tents can be rented pretty cheaply. So, depending on how often you would use it, that might be an option.
Well I live in Big Bear Lake, I can buy a tent for the price of the gas down the hill to rent it and return it.

I'm waiting for Springbar to get back to me, I wrote them a note but I guess they are moving their facility and kind of busy. Only the Highline (import) stuff available right now that i can find, looks like decent stuff but I'd like to explore the USA models.

EDIT: They just called me! They've almost got it together and are going to be up and running soon... pretty sure a 6 man USA Springbar is going to be my choice.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.

Last edited by ACfixer; 09-13-2019 at 2:52 PM..
Old 09-13-2019, 2:51 PM

i'd be looking at some of the Coleman stuff...UK seems to get the better built stuff; Vango seem to get good reviews too.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Rocky...dp/B01M2902PY/
Old 09-13-2019, 2:54 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

^^^ That actually looks really nice. I wonder why it's sold in the UK and not here? I have to admit I'm still a sucker for that Coleman logo, just brings back nostalgia!

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 09-13-2019, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
^^^ That actually looks really nice. I wonder why it's sold in the UK and not here? I have to admit I'm still a sucker for that Coleman logo, just brings back nostalgia!
the thing that really stood out to me is the waterproof ratings...well over a lot of what we get here, if our stuff is even rated.

more foul weather tent campers there, compared to here?
Old 09-13-2019, 3:25 PM

Insta tent by coleman... best tent I have ever owned.

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-6-Per...SIN=B004E4ERHA
Old 09-14-2019, 5:01 AM

I have a us mill command post wall tent for truck camping and a 10' alanak mini pole for horse hunts and an old school north face 31/2 season for pack packing. I'm taking 6 guys in on a horse pack hunt next month and found this one on line and it it super interesting . I might have to get one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ozark-Trail...QAAOSw0npc3Pl0
Old 10-03-2019, 7:30 PM

Only have 1 tent and I attached it to my Jeep https://www.jeepsareus.com/sku/82209878.html. Pros of owning a tent that is attached to my Jeep is I can turn on the ac if it is too hot. Not sure if this is also available to other brands of SUV.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteassasin View Post
I have a us mill command post wall tent for truck camping and a 10' alanak mini pole for horse hunts and an old school north face 31/2 season for pack packing. I'm taking 6 guys in on a horse pack hunt next month and found this one on line and it it super interesting . I might have to get one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ozark-Trail...QAAOSw0npc3Pl0
The tent looks nice but I would be concerned with the low pitch of the roof and snow loads. Might also need a rain fly for UV protection. I don’t think polyester holds up to sun long term.

I’m thinking of getting a larger wall tent in the lighter fabric like the 250D Relite from Montana Canvas. The polyester materials are lighter then canvas but don’t last as long and can pin hole burn EZ from the stove. Canvas is just too heavy for a 12X17 ish tent. Elk camp could use a 2nd larger tent with a stove.

Last edited by tsmithson; 10-05-2019 at 9:33 PM..
Old 10-04-2019, 8:36 PM

if its car camping i would rather spend as least money as possible on the tent and then spend more on a good sleeping bag, and foam pad or mattress.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsanjose View Post
if its car camping i would rather spend as least money as possible on the tent and then spend more on a good sleeping bag, and foam pad or mattress.
The four man Springbar tent can hold 2 cots, one on each side of the door leaving room for a table on the back wall in the middle. Perfect for 2 people. The cot is a great setup as your also able to stow you gear under it.
Old 10-09-2019, 8:23 PM
Calguns Addict

I like the instant tents too. A tent big enough to stand up in that sets up in a minute. Basically roll it out and walk around it extending captured tent poles, then stake it. Taking it down or putting up is a one person job.

https://www.amazon.com/CORE-Person-I...g-goods&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/CORE-Person-I...g-goods&sr=1-4