Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-21-2020, 5:41 PM

1. Yes and No. An off roster can be simply legally acquired via PPT. It depends on the store. When I PPT'd mine, I asked Rifle Gear and they were good to go with just the lower and maglock. When I asked Crosshairs, they wanted it to be complete as they logged down barrel length.

2. Maglock (not bullet button), brace can be adjustable but be aware of LOP, or just bare buffer tube, no stock, 10 rounds max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowStorm View Post
There are currently two AR lowers registered as semi auto pistols in the marketplace.

I previously had been interested in building up an AR pistol back in the day when they were legal with SSE1 and an 80% lower.

My questions are:

1) is it really as simple as transferring the lower and then be good to go?

2) what configuration would make it legal? It doesnít have a stock to make it fixed, is the only option to use a magazine lock in one of the current options? IE hellfighter tactical?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- GySgt Bob Lee Swagger
Old 09-21-2020, 5:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKz View Post
Let's say someone has a legal semi-auto AR pistol in 9mm. If I am understanding correctly, >10rd mags are illegal in that configuration, is that correct?

What if that pistol is converted to a rifle, with the addition of a 16"+ barrel and an adjustable stock, just like a regular AR. Is that now/still legal?

If so, is it then legal to use >10rd mags in it?
In order not to endanger the pistol-ness, you're a lot better off with just a 9mm carbine. Cheaper and easier and can use hi-caps if you got 'em, in a featureless.
Old 09-21-2020, 5:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Is this considered featureless, with the flash hider removed? If so, it's short enough for HD, and if you were forward thinking enough to get Colt style mags, it holds 32 in the mag. The tough part is finding a Tavor.

There's also a bullpup conversion kit for the CZ Scorpion.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/bullp...anticore-arms/
Old 09-21-2020, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Is this considered featureless, with the flash hider removed? If so, it's short enough for HD, and if you were forward thinking enough to get Colt style mags, it holds 32 in the mag. The tough part is finding a Tavor.

I think thatís considered an AW because of the pistol grip
Old 09-21-2020, 7:30 PM

That favor needs a fun grip to be featureless as well as removing the FH
Old 09-21-2020, 10:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKz View Post
Let's say someone has a legal semi-auto AR pistol in 9mm. If I am understanding correctly, >10rd mags are illegal in that configuration, is that correct?

What if that pistol is converted to a rifle, with the addition of a 16"+ barrel and an adjustable stock, just like a regular AR. Is that now/still legal?

If so, is it then legal to use >10rd mags in it?
AR pistols (which are NOT registered AW's) get their legality by using a fixed magazine.
A fixed magazine must not hold more than 10 rounds.
This applies to pistol, rifle or shotgun.

If you take a fixed mag AR pistol and convert it into a fixed mag AR rifle, the same rules apply about the magazine capacity and the gun is legal as a rifle.
A fixed magazine STILL must not hold more than 10 rounds.

If you take that same 9mm AR rifle and you remove all the FEATURES (collapsible stock, flash suppressor, pistol grip, etc...), you can switch to a standard magazine release and run legally acquired standard capacity magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post

How is it that you are unsure of whether a rifle with clear pistol grip is featureless. As another member mentioned,it needs a fun to modify/eliminate the pistol grip.

Check out https://www.firearmsunknown.com/. Support a good calgunner local to San Diego.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:54 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
BATF has determined a pistol brace to BE a stock if the length of pull is 13.5" or longer.
This is problematic for many of the side folding stock adapters because they cause the length of pull to exceed 13.5".
If running a side-folding adapter, you need to limit the length of pull to stay under 13.5" or the BATF says you have an illegal SBR.
Well hell. Learn something new every day. Not sure how I missed that determination.