Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-09-2019, 2:32 PM

Default Moving and need some help

Hello I recently moved from Orange County to Riverside County. Need help figuring out what I need to do, (if anything) to my already existing license with OCSD? Also when applying with Riverside would I be considered a new applicant?
Old 05-09-2019, 4:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Here you go. Yes you have to start all over again with Riverside.

26210. (a) When a licensee under this article has a change of address, the license shall be amended to reflect the new address and a new license shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 26215.
(b) The licensee shall notify the licensing authority in writing within 10 days of any change in the licensee’s place of residence.
(c) If both of the following conditions are satisfied, a license to carry a concealed handgun may not be revoked solely because the licensee’s place of residence has changed to another county:
(1) The licensee has not breached any of the conditions or restrictions set forth in the license.
(2) The licensee has not become prohibited by state or federal law from possessing, receiving, owning, or purchasing a firearm.
(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (c), if a licensee’s place of residence was the basis for issuance of a license, any license issued pursuant to Section 26150 or 26155 shall expire 90 days after the licensee moves from the county of issuance.
(e) If the license is one to carry loaded and exposed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, the license shall be revoked immediately upon a change of the licensee’s place of residence to another county.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:51 AM

Curious to hear how the application process goes and how quickly you obtain a permit in your new county.
Old 08-10-2019, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

OK,

I understand the provision that my CA CCW will expire at the end of 90 days after I move from my present residence and that I have 10 days to report the change of address. The question I have is just when does that move take place? My wife and I accepted an offer to purchase our CA home and escrow is set to close on Aug. 23, 2019. We have already registered our pickup truck in Idaho at the address where I will be staying until our new home in Idaho is ready for us to move in. At present I do not have an ID DL, as I still have to take Idaho's test. But that will probably change before Aug. 23rd. My wife will be staying in CA until our new home is ready to move into. So, when are we no longer CA residents under state and federal law?
Old 08-10-2019, 10:16 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Residency is kind of a rat's nest.

Here's what Feds say - 27 CFR 478.11 https://atf-eregs.18f.gov/478-11/201...11-p2857000833

Quote:
State of residence.

The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State.

If an individual is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual's State of residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located, as stated in 18 U.S.C. 921(b).

The following are examples that illustrate this definition:

Example 1.

A maintains a home in State X. A travels to State Y on a hunting, fishing, business, or other type of trip. A does not become a resident of State Y by reason of such trip.

Example 2.

A maintains a home in State X and a home in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the summer months of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the summer months of the year. During the time that A actually resides in State X, A is a resident of State X, and during the time that A actually resides in State Y, A is a resident of State Y.

Example 3.

A, an alien, travels to the United States on a three-week vacation to State X. A does not have a state of residence in State X because A does not have the intention of making a home in State X while on vacation. This is true regardless of the length of the vacation.

Example 4.

A, an alien, travels to the United States to work for three years in State X. A rents a home in State X, moves his personal possessions into the home, and his family resides with him in the home. A intends to reside in State X during the 3-year period of his employment. A is a resident of State X.
California, OTOH, has about 5 different residence definitions for different things a resident might do. And, they're highly motivated to keep their hooks into you as a tax payer.

I think the short answer is 'when ID thinks you are a a resident, you are no longer a resident of CA'.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-11-2019, 8:13 AM

I’m doing the exact same at the end of August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk