Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:27 PM

Thank you for the advice and insight

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW
Old 08-06-2019, 1:15 AM
Veteran Member

just save your money and buy a real ham walkie.
get the feds permission to transmit and have fun talking to most anyone. in the right place, with the correct programing can talk states away via repeaters. or build a very good set up and can do world wide communications.

--baofeng can never do this--.

quality ham radios will always work. and can be used to call for emg help with NO government permit. sure cost more for a real ham radio, but you get what you pay for.
Old 08-06-2019, 1:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
get the feds permission to transmit and have fun talking to most anyone. in the right place, with the correct programing can talk states away via repeaters. or build a very good set up and can do world wide communications.

quality ham radios will always work. and can be used to call for emg help with NO government permit. sure cost more for a real ham radio, but you get what you pay for.
I've had my Dung for a day, and its had its hicups already! But for a cat like me, that's deciding if I would like to partake in the world of amateur radio, it's served its purpose nicely!

Super dig what I hear on air! Ashamed what some here post.....

The best $30 I've spent in a long time! If on the fence just do it!
Old 08-06-2019, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post

All the things you list are things Baofengs can do also. Sure, there are more expensive radios that do all those things better.

I have 2 UV-5R's & 2 of the BH-8HT's and a Yeasu. Of course my Yeasu has lots of features my Baofeng does not, it also cost more than all 4 Baofengs put together.

Boafeng's definitely have a place for the HAM curious, new HAM, and Preppers (that may want a radio in every vehicle, a couple in Faraday cages, and a couple in backpacks). For a HAM Enthusiast only - no, not much use for a Baofeng unless as a backup for your backup.
Old 08-07-2019, 2:32 AM

Lol, once I read I wasn't going to be able to buy these I just had to have them! I'm terrible with computers but I'll try to set it up tomorrow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1511.jpg (47.0 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by 32blownhemi; 08-07-2019 at 2:35 AM..
Old 08-07-2019, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32blownhemi View Post
Lol, once I read I wasn't going to be able to buy these I just had to have them! I'm terrible with computers but I'll try to set it up tomorrow!
Although I did use the CHIRP software to program the radio I find myself using "frequency mode" more often than not and toggling between A and B
Old 08-07-2019, 7:56 AM
Vendor/Retailer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z52HP10 has a neat feature where you can monitor and talk on two separate channels at once. Useful for larger groups where you designate one channel for the entire group and different channels for subgroups.
Old 08-07-2019, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylogger6 View Post
Although I did use the CHIRP software to program the radio I find myself using "frequency mode" more often than not and toggling between A and B
What I did was look up all the commonly used frequencies in my area (some repeaters, some simplex, some Public safety/utilities), then when I have time I may put it in frequency mode and hit scan to just see whats out there. Then once I get my list saved I can put it in memory mode and scan only those frequencies that I have previously identified. After a while I narrowed it down to my favorite 2, I put one in "A" & one in "B", and then I listen to the radio while waiting for any traffic to occur.

Probably my biggest complaint on these is the lack of AM radio reception.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The first one I bought a few years ago (UV-5R) died one day. It won't boot up, just goes to a character test screen on the display where all characters are lit up.

It won't do anything further. The backlight never comes on, and it won't even get to the point to enable a factory reset.

I recently bought another, a BF-8HP and will mess with it when I find the ambition and motivation.
Old 08-07-2019, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

I know nothing about any of this, but this thread makes me want to buy one nonetheless. Why should someone who is not into this sort of thing consider purchasing a BaoFeng? What are the benefits to ownership?

Old 08-07-2019, 1:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
All the things you list are things Baofengs can do also. Sure, there are more expensive radios that do all those things better.

I have 2 UV-5R's & 2 of the BH-8HT's and a Yeasu. Of course my Yeasu has lots of features my Baofeng does not, it also cost more than all 4 Baofengs put together.

Boafeng's definitely have a place for the HAM curious, new HAM, and Preppers (that may want a radio in every vehicle, a couple in Faraday cages, and a couple in backpacks). For a HAM Enthusiast only - no, not much use for a Baofeng unless as a backup for your backup.
So lets fast forward to SHTF.

Say a big earthquake and the prepper family get out their BoFangs and starts talking to each other.

Cool Right.

Except the Bofangs are famous for bleeding over Emergency channels so now lives become at stake because Emergency Responders can't communicate.

Sounds like you all making wise choices to save a few bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 08-07-2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post

Say a big earthquake and the prepper family get out their BoFangs and starts talking to each other.

Cool Right.

Except the Bofangs are famous for bleeding over Emergency channels so now lives become at stake because Emergency Responders can't communicate.

Well, in your exact scenario I'd be using my Yeasu.

I use my Baofeng pretty regularly to communicate through the local repeater & on a simplex frequency a lot of locals use - no one has complained yet (including during the last major forest fire in my area), so I don't know why the next emergency would cause me to put lives at stake.

I won't argue that the Baofeng is the best radio, because it's not. If you can afford to buy yeasu (or your favorite brand) then by all means you should - but if your choice is Baofeng or nothing, then get 2 Baofengs. Hell, even if you only use it to receive it's worth the cost.

Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion, nothing on here is ever unanimous.
Old 08-07-2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:

^^^^^^^^Correct
Old 08-07-2019, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post

Cool Right.

^^^^^^^^come on man, FUD
Old 08-09-2019, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
I know nothing about any of this, but this thread makes me want to buy one nonetheless. Why should someone who is not into this sort of thing consider purchasing a BaoFeng? What are the benefits to ownership?
This happened to me and I endes up with two at my doorstep today
Old 08-09-2019, 7:50 PM

I have taken the ham license exam a few times already and failed everytime. I am a total retard when it come to this kinda stuff. I am not kidding, I've taken the pre-test so many times and failed it. I dont know anything about electrician tech stuff or about emitters or watts or repeaters. I feel like the test is for people going to electrician tech school.
I have used the law enforcement type radios cause we were using them as backup radios in case we needed to get a hold of police dispatchers. But in all seriousness, I doubt I'll ever be able to get a HAM license. Read every book there is to it and I still failed the test, guess I dont have the knack for it as I only wanted it for shtf scenarios.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaking70 View Post
I have taken the ham license exam a few times already and failed everytime. I am a total retard when it come to this kinda stuff. I am not kidding, I've taken the pre-test so many times and failed it. I dont know anything about electrician tech stuff or about emitters or watts or repeaters. I feel like the test is for people going to electrician tech school.
I have used the law enforcement type radios cause we were using them as backup radios in case we needed to get a hold of police dispatchers. But in all seriousness, I doubt I'll ever be able to get a HAM license. Read every book there is to it and I still failed the test, guess I dont have the knack for it as I only wanted it for shtf scenarios.
The test is designed to be passed. You should look into a prep class.

If not just keep taking it, answer the ones you know for sure & put C for the rest, odds are you'll pass after a couple tries.

You could always find someone who looks a little bit like you (they really barely check ID) and get them to take the test for you.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
It is a good quality FM/NOAA radio with a good antenna & a rechargeable battery, it can be used as a very powerful walkie talkie, you can put it in scan mode and listen to other people talking (even if you don't really know how to program it. If you know someone who is a HAM you can have them program it for you and then if SHTF they will at least be able to talk to you. For the price I think it's worth the investment to buy 2, even if you only uise them as walkie talkies & FM radios.
Old 08-10-2019, 3:20 PM

Quote:
The test is designed to be passed. You should look into a prep class.

If not just keep taking it, answer the ones you know for sure & put C for the rest, odds are you'll pass after a couple tries.

You could always find someone who looks a little bit like you (they really barely check ID) and get them to take the test for you.
Trust me, I have taken it multiple times and have done it exactly that way, answer the ones I think I know and just go with "the letter of the day" method...and still failed it. I have taken many prep tests as well to no avail.
I only want to use my radios because I keep a bugout bag in my truck and if shtf, my wife would have the other and I could reach her to make a meet at our predetermined destination. I dont plan to be up late at night "So Joe, hows the golfing game coming along" crap, just want for emergency.
Old 08-10-2019, 6:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Trust me, I have taken it multiple times and have done it exactly that way, answer the ones I think I know and just go with "the letter of the day" method...and still failed it. I have taken many prep tests as well to no avail.
I only want to use my radios because I keep a bugout bag in my truck and if shtf, my wife would have the other and I could reach her to make a meet at our predetermined destination. I dont plan to be up late at night "So Joe, hows the golfing game coming along" crap, just want for emergency.
Most preppers I know just want their ham radios for emergency, same as you.

Some just need the help to prime the information pump.

Here's a link that gets people started. https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/201...l-frequencies/
Hit the download and grip the file to upload to your radios, Delete what you don't need and fill in the empty spaces with your ham freqs as needed for your area.

Your local freqs can be searched here. No login necessary.
https://www.radioreference.com/
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-10-2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
I understand. You could still buy 2 (I'd actually buy 4 to have redundant backup, more if there are more people you'll want to communicate with). Then have a HAM friend program them for you. Between now & the zombie apocalypse you can use them to listen to FM radio and it will switch over to your primary frequency if there is activity - listening in this way should help to gradually give you a minimum amount of familiarity with how it works and how to talk on the radio. You do not need any licenses to listen.
Old 08-10-2019, 7:11 PM

I use them to listen to fm in the orchard while monitoring fire channels. Nothing sinister
Old 08-11-2019, 2:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You would be able to listen in on ham broadcasts and if you get a license or it's a real emergency, you can broadcast your own messages on the airwaves. It's usually ham radio operators who are first with information in disaster scenarios.
Old 08-11-2019, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post

Here's a link that gets people started. https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/201...l-frequencies/
Hit the download and grip the file to upload to your radios, Delete what you don't need and fill in the empty spaces with your ham freqs as needed for your area.

Where and how do you program the frequencies, is it automatically done or can you do it by hand? I have to wait til my next day off for me to be able to play around with them....just trying to get an idea of what I am in for when doing this.....but thanks for the links, greatly appreciated....👍👍
Old 08-11-2019, 5:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Where and how do you program the frequencies, is it automatically done or can you do it by hand? I have to wait til my next day off for me to be able to play around with them....just trying to get an idea of what I am in for when doing this.....but thanks for the links, greatly appreciated....
Here's your first stop for diy/info.
Links to parts/accessories via Amazon.
CHIRP software too. *free*
http://miklor.com/
*Just remember to start with your radio fully charged.

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-17-2019, 12:50 AM

So I been taking practice exams for a Ham License pretty much all week while at work. Now I will NOT lie about this. I have taken the practice exams nearly 16 times...and I failed every one of them. It's actually down right frigging embarrassing to even tell you all. "The test is meant to be passed" so someone said here.

I literally took a 35 question practice test multiple times and that's actually trying with what extreme little knowledge of radio waves, photons vs protons, atoms vs nucleus, paleontology vs archeology and electric radio fibers of this universe....and I still failed it. One test, I only got six right outta 35. My best outta the nearly 15 or 16 times I took the prep test....was 11 right.

Maybe I am seriously not cut out for that. I could change the oil in all three of my cars, tear apart and put back together a computer, field strip, clean and put back together a .1911 blindfolded...but cant pass a Ham License test. Wow, very embarrassing to say but guess will just keep trying....
Old 08-17-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
So I been taking practice exams for a Ham License pretty much all week while at work. Now I will NOT lie about this. I have taken the practice exams nearly 16 times...and I failed every one of them. It's actually down right frigging embarrassing to even tell you all. "The test is meant to be passed" so someone said here.

I literally took a 35 question practice test multiple times and that's actually trying with what extreme little knowledge of radio waves, photons vs protons, atoms vs nucleus, paleontology vs archeology and electric radio fibers of this universe....and I still failed it. One test, I only got six right outta 35. My best outta the nearly 15 or 16 times I took the prep test....was 11 right.

Maybe I am seriously not cut out for that. I could change the oil in all three of my cars, tear apart and put back together a computer, field strip, clean and put back together a .1911 blindfolded...but cant pass a Ham License test. Wow, very embarrassing to say but guess will just keep trying....
If you are having trouble with the concepts and theory, and just want to pass the exam, a good method is to take the test questions from the pool, print them out, and take a colored highlighter and highlight the correct answers. Then, go over all of the questions and only read the highlighted, correct answers. Ignore the incorrect answers. Read these about 10 times and then take the test. That should do the trick.

And, for those who will protest and say that isn’t legitimate and you are not learning, baloney. Get the license. The license is a license to learn.
Old 08-18-2019, 5:24 PM

Whats the difference between the F85r HP and the UV82HP? Is there a preferred model?
Old 08-18-2019, 8:10 PM

I found a comparison chart at Miklor. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'm thinking maybe now's the time to p/u one of the 8W Baofeng handhelds, or even a Yaseau FT-60R.

What is the go-to set-up to use an external antenna for this radio. I either want to mag-mount on the middle of my 4Runners roof like I do with my CB (Wilson 1000) when I go off-roading, or on my factory roof rack. I'd like a folder, but also a spring for when its up and I'm in the trees. Seems like there's a million options on the interwebs but then I get confused with "1/2 wave", gain, and all the fine details. Any guidance from anyone who's gone down this path would be great.
Old 08-19-2019, 3:53 PM
Banned

Yeasu F3td its all you need.
Old 08-19-2019, 8:14 PM

Quote:

I was the one that said the test was meant to be passed. I still feel that way. There are some basics you need to learn, but it can be memorized. Have you read the prep book? The practice tests are (in my experience) harder that the actual test.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:14 PM
CGN Contributor

tagged
Old 08-20-2019, 7:42 AM
This page left blank
CGN Contributor

Quote:

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the download you can share? The download is blocked because of too much action!
Old 08-20-2019, 9:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jben View Post
You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the download you can share? The download is blocked because of too much action!
Well that sux.

Based on your firmware it may or may not not be compatible and all of my known good files are proprietary to my group now. No basic files for seed. Sorry.

Best bet now is to go through CHIRP and enter your own local freqs as well as the FRS/GMRS/Marine/MURS/NOAA stuff.

Be sure to make an origional backup image file of your ht and save it for future and then start your new file with your relevant freqs. Save after every entry.

If your radio is glitchy or seemingly bricked you can blow the original file back into it or do a factory hard reset. * see Miklor's linked sight on recovery.
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-20-2019, 9:32 AM

I know nothing about these types of devices, but now I want one since big bro wants to do away with them.

What is the type of utility for these?

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2019, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droops View Post
I know nothing about these types of devices, but now I want one since big bro wants to do away with them.

Monitoring emergency freqs. LE / FD / SAR / Medical and weather ++ local repeaters that offer better info on current emergencies in your area. Better than local talking head news services that are slow to know and repeat hours old updates.

Local neighbors/friends can call for help if no other comms options are available.
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 08-20-2019, 10:42 AM

Thank you Cal Guns. I just ordered 2 BaoFeng UV-82HP's they apparently do everythign the BF-F8HP's do and more.

Just signed up for the Technician License Test. Might as well get the license. It's good for 10 years.

Last edited by DolphinFan; 08-20-2019 at 5:54 PM..
Old 08-20-2019, 10:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droops View Post

Monitoring emergency freqs. LE / FD / SAR / Medical and weather ++ local repeaters that offer better info on current emergencies in your area. Better than local talking head news services that are slow to know and repeat hours old updates.

Local neighbors/friends can call for help if no other comms options are available.
Just gonna still throw this out there, but transmissions, even during "SHTF" should not be transmitting without a license.

At minimum friends, family and neighbors should get their tech license if they want to call for help using ham.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
Just gonna still throw this out there, but transmissions, even during "SHTF" should not be transmitting without a license.
If the S is really HTF, I don't think very many people would care. If it's a World War Z situation, even the FCC will have their hands full with more pressing matters.