Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:53 AM

Default Suggestions for upgrading a Glock 19 Gen 5

Hello All, Iím not a super experienced shooter and I purchased my first pistol only few months ago. I have a Glock 19 Gen 5 with a standard slide and I purchased an HoloSun Green Dot, so I either have to have the original slide milled or I should purchase a new slide MOS version.

Currently the gun that I purchased used has an Ameriglo kit and I would like to know what are my options for a co-witness solution considering that I donít like too much for regular sights the fiber optics. Indeed, I rather prefer three dots tritium sights (green).

I donít even know how the rear sight piece needs to be since there is going to be an HoloSun in between. Iím more oriented on replacing the slide with a MOS native slide (Norsso? Zev?) but Iím lost when it comes to consider a co-witness option.

Thank you for the appreciated suggestions and patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2020, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Honestly being a new shooter I would recommend learning to shoot with sights. After you are proficient then move to the dot. Otherwise you will chase the dot as it does not come into view unless aligned properly. That and 2-3000 rounds of ammo through the gun for practice. Best mods you could do now.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Agree with Damon......should probably shoot the gun as is, learn your gun, get comfortable, and experienced, before mixing things up with a red dot.

Sometimes extra money laying around gets you in trouble

Don't be in a rush....sounds like you're not even SURE what you want to do. Personally, I've revamped my firearm thoughts/platforms MANY times as I got more experiences in....buying, selling, selling, buying, wish list, broken wish list, etc.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

ďCriminals, tyrants and terrorists donít do background checks.Ē ó Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020

Last edited by Erion929; 09-15-2020 at 12:21 PM..
Old 09-15-2020, 12:25 PM

Agree with the rest.

Use that money for Ammo.

NRA RSO and Pistol, PPITH Instructor
Old 09-15-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Agree with the rest.

Use that money for Ammo.
I agree as well.
Old 09-15-2020, 1:07 PM

I'm gonna go against the grain and say, get yourself the milled slide, run the RDS and don't look back.

You didn't mention the intended purpose for the pistol, but did mention you were less experienced. Learn to shoot with the dot and focus on the basics like grip and trigger control.

Backup sights are fine, but if you're starting from scratch and don't intend to ever shoot the gun without the dot, just learn to shoot it with the dot and focus on fundamentals.

Dan
Old 09-15-2020, 1:23 PM
Veteran Member

If you must, stay away from the MOS models. Those changeable plates are another point of failure where the mounting screws are. I'd rather much have an original slide milled specifically to a desired RDS.
Old 09-15-2020, 2:06 PM

Thank you all for your genuine comments. Iím a former transportation designer so I have a tendency to draw things, make 3D models rapid prototypes (3D printed) and have pieces cnc milled in aluminum and titanium. So far I mostly improved my photographic gears, and automotive things, but Iím not going to change anything when it comes to firearms. Iím just saying this, because in general I have this approach of asking to myself how things work, how things were made so customising things itís just a mind set and I can refrain from it when there are good reasons. Thank you all for bringing up wise comments and suggestions.
I own two guns: a Wilson Combat Beretta Brigadier 92G and a Glock 19 Gen 5. To be more specific the Glock 19 itís for my wife who is less interested into technicalities, but she will still receive a professional training using the Glock only, I chose that gun for her because I saw how difficult it was for her just to handle the Beretta and she is definitely liking the ergonomics and the weight of the 19 so far although she havenít really used it yet. So she will never engage in competition and most likely she will go to the shooting range 4/5 a year just for maintaining some proficiency. I will keep the HoloSun because I canít get any refund and I will have it professionally installed by a gun smith and I will order a native slide for it to keep stuff safe and reliable. Oh the ammo thing, Iím in California and if youíre lucky you can buy 50 rounds at Turnerís per day, so first I bought the rounds (3,000 9mm rounds) then I got the pistols

Old 09-15-2020, 6:08 PM

Just my $0.02 but keep your slide intact and get another slide that has the rmr cut (eg Brownells) so that you can resell your gun more easily in the future, if you so choose.
Old 09-15-2020, 6:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Getting a 1911 would be a nice upgrade.....

Canít somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 09-15-2020, 6:24 PM

In the future Iíll get a 1911 for sure from Wilson Combat. Right now Iím just replacing a slide for the Glock 19 and I will renounce the co-witness option and prepare it just for the HoloSun Gren Dot. Thank you all for your comments !

Old 09-15-2020, 7:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangi View Post
In the future Iíll get a 1911 for sure from Wilson Combat. Right now Iím just replacing a slide for the Glock 19 and I will renounce the co-witness option and prepare it just for the HoloSun Gren Dot. Thank you all for your comments !

Iím a 1911 guy but I also own a glock 19 and I do fall into the category of ďsuper experienced shooterĒ

My 19, I didnít even change the sights. Unless you have some special requirements we are not aware of, your glock full sized or mid sized regardless of caliber or generation will do everything you need just as it left the factory. The only thing you need to put into it is training and practice. Any accessories you add are nothing more than fluff and frills until you have a special need. Otherwise donít build a special needs glock.

JMTC

Old 09-15-2020, 7:01 PM
Veteran Member

Nothing to "upgrade". Take a class and spend your money on ammunition.

Keep in mind there are 100's of thousands if not several million Glock pistols worldwide. The majority in military and police service. There is no question that the overwhelming majority are completely stock as they left the factory.

Why spend money unnecessarily?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock

Last edited by 003; 09-15-2020 at 7:06 PM..
Old 09-15-2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:
I own two guns: a Wilson Combat Beretta Brigadier 92G and a Glock 19 Gen 5. To be more specific the Glock 19 it’s for my wife who is less interested into technicalities, but she will still receive a professional training using the Glock only, I chose that gun for her because I saw how difficult it was for her just to handle the Beretta and she is definitely liking the ergonomics and the weight of the 19 so far although she haven’t really used it yet. So she will never engage in competition and most likely she will go to the shooting range 4/5 a year just for maintaining some proficiency. I will keep the HoloSun because I can’t get any refund and I will have it professionally installed by a gun smith and I will order a native slide for it to keep stuff safe and reliable.

Well, if it's for her and your use. Mill the slide for the holosun and don't look back, don't bother with the suppressor height sights either, they won't add value or functionality for your intended purpose.

IMO you choose right by going with optics if there will be limited training/maintenance of proficiency. With the dot, you take away the need to focus on the sight alignment etc, you'll just have to focus on putting the dot where you want the round to go and will have time to concentrate on grip and trigger control. Much easier for a novice to work on as it's fewer things to worry about.

With the holosun, the circle dot will facilitate ease of use as it will be easier to locate the dot (center of the optic) due to the giant circle. Even with messed up presentation of the pistol, you should be able to see some part of the ring and be able to orient to it.

If you get a chance, definitely take your wife to a defensive handgun course with the optic mounted for familiarity and more importantly to build a solid foundation to build additional skills upon.

Dan

If you believe in Liberty, you should believe it for everyone, not simply those whom you agree with.
Old 09-15-2020, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
Why don't you spend your money on some professional training and learn to actually shoot the gun you have rather than upgrade it to something that you don't rate because you can't shoot it effectively and accurately...

Having a fancy gun you can't shoot is like having a fancy car you can't drive...
By the same token, if you never intend on driving a car with a manual transmission, there's no point in teaching someone how to use the a manual transmission when an automatic will suffice.

Remember that best setup for your guns/sights will vary with what's required of them.

Dan

If you believe in Liberty, you should believe it for everyone, not simply those whom you agree with.

Last edited by DNA; 09-15-2020 at 8:29 PM..
Old 09-15-2020, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
By the same token, if you never intend on driving a car with a manual transmission, there's no point in teaching someone how to use the a manual transmission when an automatic will suffice.

Remember that best setup for your guns/sights will vary with what's required of them.

Dan

Unless a spouse breaks his leg in an accident and the wife canít even drive him to a hospital....it wouldíve been helpful if the wife had learned how to drive a manual....emergencies happen.

If a dot system fails, itís nice to know what to do with the iron sights in an emergency.

ďCriminals, tyrants and terrorists donít do background checks.Ē ó Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020
Old 09-16-2020, 7:24 AM
1911 Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
Well, if it's for her and your use. Mill the slide for the holosun and don't look back, don't bother with the suppressor height sights either, they won't add value or functionality for your intended purpose.
When new to a pistol with RDS, finding the dot can be very difficult, and having suppressor sights (BUIS) actually assists in finding the dot fairly quickly, especially when shooting from awkward angles, from cover, behind a barrier, etc.

When presenting, my eyes naturally find and align the BUIS on the target, then focus changes to the dot atop the front sight post.
Old 09-16-2020, 7:28 AM

Take a class.

I’m in the process of taking a Combat 1,2,3 course and the knowledge and experience I’ve learned has been really good.
Old 09-16-2020, 7:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I realize that several of us are coming off pretty strong and Iíll admit that a component of that, in my case, is because Iím a buthole. That said, there is a lot of validity in the training.

I promise you that you can hand me any functioning modern handgun and I will outshoot you 9 ways to Sunday regardless of what you do to your glock.

If your goal is to have a bling bling, knock yourself out it is your money and your gun and you may do with it as your please. However if your goal is personal/family protection, the training and practice is infinitely more important than which accessories you have decorated your gun with.

Old 09-16-2020, 7:59 AM

This thing about the training is getting redundant and it was already decided before this posting. Have no doubt that Iím not proficient at shooting yet, but constantly hearing about how should I spend my money is getting annoying and relative. I was considering a co-witness option for a Glock now I dropped the idea and I am just getting a slide that is natively cut for a HoloSun. Thatís it please no more comments about buy ammos or taking classes, as I said redundant at this point. Thank you

Old 09-16-2020, 8:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
This thing about the training is getting redundant and it was already decided before this posting. Have no doubt that Iím not proficient at shooting yet, but constantly hearing about how should I spend my money is getting annoying and relative. I was considering a co-witness option for a Glock now I dropped the idea and I am just getting a slide that is natively cut for a HoloSun. Thatís it please no more comments about buy ammos or taking classes, as I said redundant at this point. Thank you

You are going to fit in just fine here

Old 09-16-2020, 8:11 AM

Location: Born on the Sacramento River. Raised by an a Alligator, sired by a Lion. Backbone o' barbed wire!!

I thought Gen5 is the upgrade.
Old 09-16-2020, 8:32 AM

It looks like you are having some trouble with the evil gun called Glock.

I'll tell you what, I will buy it off from you. Sounds good?

The men who wrote the 2nd Amendment hadn't just finished a hunting trip.

They had just liberated a nation.
Old 09-16-2020, 8:33 AM

Quote:

I wouldnít brush off their comments either. Many here, some more experienced than I, know what they are talking about in regards to RDS and training. At the end of the day, we just provided opinions. You can do as you please and spend your money as you see fit.

You posed a question and we provided insight to your question.

NRA RSO and Pistol, PPITH Instructor
Old 09-16-2020, 8:37 AM

Repetita Iuvant.

Old 09-16-2020, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
Why don't you spend your money on some professional training and learn to actually shoot the gun you have rather than upgrade it to something that you don't rate because you can't shoot it effectively and accurately...

Having a fancy gun you can't shoot is like having a fancy car you can't drive...
You're about 20 years behind the times, dude. It's been proven that optics are a force multiplier and that there is no downside to learning on optics as opposed to learning on iron sights. The old "learn the fundamentals on iron sights before you use optics" thing is a stupid, stupid holdover from the pre-internet days of gun magazines. Leave it in the past where it belongs.
Old 09-16-2020, 8:55 AM

In the words of Yoda,

ďNo ask calgunners for want of RDS you have....have fun you must...for money you pay is your own. ď
Old 09-16-2020, 9:06 AM

I laugh at the guys faces who says red dot is just an accessory to look fancy on the pistol.

Remember when we first started mount optics and red dots on AR? I DO. People despise of me at the range.

"Real man need iron sights only, ho ho ho" "My papi went through the war with only the iron sights, you pu**y"

Now, look at everyone.

I just can't believe there still are people with out dated and going through behind the time minded AGAIN, with the pistol red dot.

They're just guys either who needs to wake up or being cheapskates like Nut'nfancy.

Last edited by gpark09; 09-16-2020 at 9:09 AM..
Old 09-16-2020, 9:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpark09 View Post
I laugh at the guys faces who says red dot is just an accessory to look fancy on the pistol.

Remember when we first started mount optics and red dots on AR? I DO. People despise of me at the range.

"Real man need iron sights only, ho ho ho" "My papi went through the war with only the iron sights, you pu**y"

Now, look at everyone.

I just can't believe there still are people with out dated and going through behind the time minded AGAIN, with the pistol red dot.

They're just guys either who needs to wake up or being cheapskates like Nut'nfancy.
Bingo. I remember those days as well, when people tried to come up with every excuse in the book as to why you're just a poser for mounting an optic on your rifle. "But... but... it'll fill up with mud if you drop your rifle! It'll fog up! The Garand is the best rifle of all time and there were no optics on that!"
Old 09-16-2020, 9:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpark09 View Post

Now, look at everyone.

It’s not a rail against red dots.....red dots on handguns are great....it’s that he says he’s got one handgun and little experience.

When new guys ask for information/help, the natural response is to “learn your gun first”

That advice doesn’t fit every situation....but he asked. He’s still free to proceed as he wants.

Old 09-16-2020, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
Itís not a rail against red dots.....red dots on handguns are great....itís that he says heís got one handgun and little experience.

When new guys ask for information/help, the natural response is to ďlearn your gun firstĒ

That advice doesnít fit every situation....but he asked. Heís still free to proceed as he wants.

What does his experience have to do with it? You know that optics have been proven to allow for a faster learning curve for new shooters, right? The USMC studied that when they switched to ACOGs across the board for training. New shooters in boot camp had higher scores and achieved familiarity more quickly. I donít have a link handy but you can google it up if you want to know more.
Old 09-16-2020, 9:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Is that a red dot IWB or are you just glad to see me?

Old 09-16-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
Itís not a rail against red dots.....red dots on handguns are great....itís that he says heís got one handgun and little experience.

When new guys ask for information/help, the natural response is to ďlearn your gun firstĒ

That advice doesnít fit every situation....but he asked. Heís still free to proceed as he wants.

I totally do agree with your concept. Yes, the fundamentals acquired by adequate training is imperative.

However, as soon as OP asked question, all he got was advises that may sound bit chastising to OP.

Not the answers he seeks for and OP ended up getting frustrated and gave up on this forum. He would probably said "what the heck is this forum for?

I've seen this sort of situation a lot. Not providing anything OPs seeking for instead, playing neighborhood adult that may frustrates OPs in an attempt to give a constructive advise.

To some, it may comes as trolling. Well, that was my 2c of the day.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you need a wheel chair, get a wheel chair, If you need a red dot, get a red dot.

No shame in that.

Old 09-16-2020, 3:32 PM

I would get an aftermarket milled slide and keep the OEM slide. You can go back and forth as you please

Contrary to what others are saying, you can practice and learn the fundamentals with a red dot as well. That is not exclusive to iron sights. That’s maybe how they learned but you can choose what works for you and be just fine.

Last edited by JazzyJames; 09-16-2020 at 3:35 PM..
Old 09-16-2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:

Thatís a good choice. Brownell rmr slide and holosun 407c would be solid picks (407c is cheaper and just has the center dot, 507c is more costly and has center dot and circle around it)
Old 09-16-2020, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJames View Post
I would get an aftermarket milled slide and keep the OEM slide. You can go back and forth as you please

Contrary to what others are saying, you can practice and learn the fundamentals with a red dot as well. That is not exclusive to iron sights. Thatís maybe how they learned but you can choose what works for you and be just fine.
^this, helps resale value as well.
Old 09-16-2020, 4:44 PM
Veteran Member

Follow Modern Samurai Project(MSP) on learning anything RDS. This is the way

https://www.modernsamuraiproject.com/
Old 09-16-2020, 4:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I would suggest some training classes and a lot of ammo.
Old 09-16-2020, 5:02 PM

I had a gen4 model 34 with trijicon red dot and co located suppressor sights from Trijicon, traded it as I couldnít get excited about the sights for personal defense
I would recommend a aftermarket slide with RMR cuts so you can work with both