Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-19-2017, 6:04 AM

FYI -
If you use pins and the magnet [helps a lot ] grab extra plastic bags when you buy veggies - put magnet in - stops the slivers from jumping into fingers .
Old 07-19-2017, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
Of course, that's how you tumble rocks!
Rocks get tumbled wet with abrasive compounds.
Old 07-19-2017, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
I used the corncob material I could find local. it would get stuck in my primer pockets, and jammed up in my cases, especially in my rifle brass.
You'll have more problems with corncob when using a wet polishing additive. Adding a small amount of jewelers rouge works well (but increases the dust factor a bit.)

Going to a harder media (crushed walnut shell) cuts down on the packing-the-case problem, but still gets stuck in the flash hole. Crushed walnut shell can be found at pet stores (used for lizard cages) or at hardware places (grit blasting media.)

Quote:
Ive yet to have any issues with stuck pins, or pins jammed up, or sticking to side walls or anything like that.
I get a few 308 and 300AAC cases where two pins will jam, one parallel to the case wall, and the other spanning the case mouth (or just below - don't remember now) pinning the first in place. Out of the several thousand cases cleaned, maybe 4 or 5 times.

I've never had a pin jam in the flash hole.
Old 07-19-2017, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingin View Post
You'll have more problems with corncob when using a wet polishing additive. Adding a small amount of jewelers rouge works well (but increases the dust factor a bit.)

Going to a harder media (crushed walnut shell) cuts down on the packing-the-case problem, but still gets stuck in the flash hole. Crushed walnut shell can be found at pet stores (used for lizard cages) or at hardware places (grit blasting media.)

I get a few 308 and 300AAC cases where two pins will jam, one parallel to the case wall, and the other spanning the case mouth (or just below - don't remember now) pinning the first in place. Out of the several thousand cases cleaned, maybe 4 or 5 times.

I've never had a pin jam in the flash hole.
I wasnt even using a polishing compound at first and had the brass packing issue, when I added a polishing compound it got much much worse.

If you were getting pins caught parallel in 308 and I am not, then it would stand to reason than the length of the pins were an issue probably. Ive done probably 10k brass a year for a couple years now through that tumbler and Ive yet to get a jam on the pins I got from stilly.

300AAC I dont know about but longer pins would solve the problem.

The other thing that confuses me is people talking about slivers... What kind of pins are you guys using? I have never had a sliver of metal come off any of my pins... not that ive noticed, I separate by hand & magnet without gloves on. I imagine I would have noticed it by now eh?
Old 07-19-2017, 2:57 PM

I use pins from stilly and the ones that came with the FART . I think he only sell the larger / longer pins now.
Maybe 5-6 years ago for pins . After I got pins stuck . I posted and someone said to try the S S ball- I could not find any on Ebay or Midway .
The pins have gotten stuck in the 243 and 270 cases [ bottle neck section - I was kind of afraid of scratching walls - but they did not .
The pins have been in the small and large primer pockets . If they don't pop out with the wooden stick [ shis-ca-bob ] They go into brass bucket .
Has anyone tried the ceramic balls ?
Old 07-19-2017, 9:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There are no cons to wet tumbling. Get one! Or if you decide to go vibratory I have a large size Dillon tumbler I'll sell you. Barely used. I wish I got the wet tumbler first I never would have bought the vibratory one. It gets the cases so clean its amazing-cannot tell it is not a new case
2A Foundation Life Member
Cal Guns Foundation Member

Old 09-12-2017, 8:54 PM

Wet tumbling sounds like the way to go for me. Question though, why cylindrical pins? Would tiny SS balls work just as well and not cause stuck pin issues?
Old 09-12-2017, 9:12 PM

Balls wouldn't get into the corners of the cases and I don't think they'd do much where they could reach either. I've never seen balls used in industrial cleaning/polishing operations either so I'm guessing they just don't do the job.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:40 PM

Makes sense since there isn't much abrasion value to something smooth and spherical.
Old 04-15-2020, 6:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
Old thread, but I've been recently contemplating the pros and cons of wet vs dry tumbling. I think it's going to come down to personal preference, I just don't see enough benefits in going wet - startup costs are a hurdle, particularly since I'm already 100% set up on dry. I don't see the need to spend $200 to $300 to convert to wet, when I can spend $0 today and keep my brass shiny.

Turby
Well, it's a lot older now and I'm ready to go wet..... because I'm board and am unhappy with how clean I can get brass with my vibratory.

Seems there are different options since this thread was last posted in.

Looking at Brownells and I've come to these 3 choices

Thumbler Model B Tumbler, most expensive but I have a Thumbler vibratory that I bout well used 10 years ago and it's still running strong

FRANKFORD ARSENAL - PLATINUM SERIES ROTARY TUMBLER 7L, least expensive but my impression of frankford is that it's on the cheaper side of quality

Lyman 539-000-029WB Cyclone Rotary Tumbler 115V, mid priced but it's Lyman, so quality is implied.

My wife is getting it for my B-day present so I need to order it soon!

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 04-15-2020, 7:13 PM

Pro:
Faster
Cleaner (no dust)
MUCH better looking finished product. De-prime before tumbling and it comes out looking better than new.

Cons:
Slightly more labor intensive--it takes a few more steps and tinkering to ensure good results.

My method:

De-prime. Throw cases into tumbler with SS pins, fill full with water. Add a 44 Magnum case full of Lemi-Shine and a GLUG of Turtle Wax Zip wash/wax. Tumble for 2-3 hours (two is usually more than enough but sometimes I run 3 if the cases are REALLY dirty). Separate pins from the cases--Frankford Arsenal case separator works GREAT. Rinse cases with clean water and toss them in a large terry cloth towel to remove as much water as possible. Lay them on another towel with a fan blowing on them and let dry for a few hours. DONE
Old 04-15-2020, 7:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Well, it's a lot older now and I'm ready to go wet..... because I'm board and am unhappy with how clean I can get brass with my vibratory.

Thumbler Model B Tumbler, most expensive but I have a Thumbler vibratory that I bout well used 10 years ago and it's still running strong

FRANKFORD ARSENAL - PLATINUM SERIES ROTARY TUMBLER 7L, least expensive but my impression of frankford is that it's on the cheaper side of quality

Lyman 539-000-029WB Cyclone Rotary Tumbler 115V, mid priced but it's Lyman, so quality is implied.

I have the dual drum from harbor freight and it's been GREAT, might want to give it a look, lots of vids on YT
Old 04-15-2020, 9:55 PM

Necropost of the year winner.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverser View Post
Necropost of the year winner.
I know, right. And it was the OP that woke the dead. Lol.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2020, 10:14 PM

If you are buying your first brass processing equipment just get wet/ss and be done with it. Its a little more involved but you get a much better end result.
Old 04-16-2020, 5:59 AM

Whether you get a dry , wet , sonic [ also a wet ] with dry / wet - you have to check casing for media .
Dry - you have dust / media , wet you have at least to dry and maybe pins .
Sonic you are limited to how many and you have to still dry .
Wet and dry are noisy . sonic is small .
I does not matter which you get , someone will tell you - you got wrong one , brand , type etc .
look at prices cheap-ee at harbor freight at 10-15 and wait for sale bigger better one .
Old 04-16-2020, 6:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Get the Extreme Rebel 17. Same as the Thumler but better made, especially at the motor support. And it can can clean more cases because it can support a larger load. Quieter too.
Old 04-16-2020, 6:44 AM

Use the big jar or 8# powder container , run the hot water from your coffee maker , dish liquid and lime shine (couple buck from Walmart) , shake like crazy for 10 minutes , then make a decision wet or dry.

https://youtu.be/ZytQONYNvPc

Last edited by newbie1234; 04-16-2020 at 5:10 PM..
Old 04-16-2020, 9:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Do not get the Thumler. The drum rusts. I am on my second drum. They no longer have lifetime warranty on the drum. After my second drum rusts thru. Gonna get the Rebel 17.
Pay for the extra quality. Last longer.
Old 04-16-2020, 9:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
Do not get the Thumler. The drum rusts. I am on my second drum. They no longer have lifetime warranty on the drum. After my second drum rusts thru. Gonna get the Rebel 17.
Pay for the extra quality. Last longer.
Quote:
The drum is the same size as the Thumler's Tumbler Model B Barrel Drum but contructed in stainless steel.

Could you just get a rebel17 drum for your thumbler and save some bucks?

Old 04-16-2020, 9:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Could you just get a rebel17 drum for your thumbler and save some bucks?
It's pretty worn. Already replaced all the rollers.
I have tumbled a lot of brass in the past 7 years.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:12 AM
Calguns Addict

I run my Thumler daily for 9 years now and it finally rusted through and one of the studs pulled out. That’s about 3300 loads. My mistake was that I didn’t rinse the drum after dumping the corrosive lemishine/soap mix. I’m on my second drum now and am rinsing it after every load. It only takes a minute. Hopefully it won’t rust.

The Rebel 17 has a better platform, the drum isn’t any better.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:03 AM

I know everyone has already chimed in so my opinion is probably useless at this point but here goes:

Pros: As long as you use something like Hornady Ultra Sonic cleaner, your Brass will come out AWESOME inside and out. I usually tumble for two hours. If your brass is dark tarnished, up to 4 hours will fix it to look like new. If you want an example, go to Instagram and look at user vintageammomaster. Scroll to the bottom of the feed and see the 8mm Kropatschek before and after shot. THAT is a fabulous transformation of brass!! Nuff said.

Cons: I hate getting all the pins out of the brass after. .223/5.56 is the worst. The pins get jammed up inside the case and you have to tap them on the side of your 5 gallon dump barrel to get them all out. I usually dump the contents through a colander that fits on top of a 5 gallon bucket. I still have to use my hand to tumble it to get all the pins to fall through the colander to get it all out of the brass. I'm willing to deal with this because it is still a nice job afterwards.

Second, when doing the process above, I wear a glove because when using your hands in the colander, you get any of the dirt from the cases on your skin.

Third, waiting on drying time. I usually use plastic trays from handgun boxes to stand the brass upside down in to let them air dry. That's after I lay them out on a towel and rub the pile down with another towel so no water spots form on the nice shiny cases.

All in all, I will NEVER go back to the old vibratory tumbler even with the additives for those. The wet tumble process just does 1000 times better inside and out.

Lastly, don't fool with little rock tumblers or other such things, just go straight for the Frankford Arsenal beast that can do up to 1000 pieces of 223 at a time. The motor is very powerful. I wore out two different rock tumblers before I got the FA. As for design, make sure whatever you get, it has a multi-faceted inside (hexagon), not just round. This helps the brass tumble rather than roll.

my two cents!
-Mike
Old 04-16-2020, 3:40 PM

I use a Thumler Tumbler. Evidently I don't tumble as much as others here. Still like new with care.
But, if you go wet, get one of these to separate the brass and pins, it works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-87076-Ca...080285&sr=8-13
Old 04-16-2020, 4:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Mark, having access to RO/DI water really helps, even if you just do a final rinse before drying (I'd guess that you make your own water for the reef tank)

I upgraded from the dual HF unit to the Frankford Armory platinum unit a few months ago. 10 pounds of brass, 8 pounds of SS pins and chips and the Frankford armory cleaning solution works better then any other method I have tried.

I do a final dip/rinse in a tub filled with RO/DI waterr, lay out the brass on a towel, point a small fan at them and in a few hrs you have new looking brass.

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/cas...hoC4QQQAvD_BwE

MLC, First 3
Old 04-16-2020, 5:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
Mark, having access to RO/DI water really helps, even if you just do a final rinse before drying (I'd guess that you make your own water for the reef tank)

I upgraded from the dual HF unit to the Frankford Armory platinum unit a few months ago. 10 pounds of brass, 8 pounds of SS pins and chips and the Frankford armory cleaning solution works better then any other method I have tried.

I do a final dip/rinse in a tub filled with RO/DI waterr, lay out the brass on a towel, point a small fan at them and in a few hrs you have new looking brass.

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/cas...hoC4QQQAvD_BwE
Great idea. I keep 30 gal RO/DI on hand at all times Well, it takes a day or two after a WC

Old 04-17-2020, 6:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassparman View Post
I know everyone has already chimed in so my opinion is probably useless at this point but here goes:

Pros: As long as you use something like Hornady Ultra Sonic cleaner, your Brass will come out AWESOME inside and out. I usually tumble for two hours. If your brass is dark tarnished, up to 4 hours will fix it to look like new. If you want an example, go to Instagram and look at user vintageammomaster. Scroll to the bottom of the feed and see the 8mm Kropatschek before and after shot. THAT is a fabulous transformation of brass!! Nuff said.

Cons: I hate getting all the pins out of the brass after. .223/5.56 is the worst. The pins get jammed up inside the case and you have to tap them on the side of your 5 gallon dump barrel to get them all out. I usually dump the contents through a colander that fits on top of a 5 gallon bucket. I still have to use my hand to tumble it to get all the pins to fall through the colander to get it all out of the brass. I'm willing to deal with this because it is still a nice job afterwards.

Second, when doing the process above, I wear a glove because when using your hands in the colander, you get any of the dirt from the cases on your skin.

Third, waiting on drying time. I usually use plastic trays from handgun boxes to stand the brass upside down in to let them air dry. That's after I lay them out on a towel and rub the pile down with another towel so no water spots form on the nice shiny cases.

All in all, I will NEVER go back to the old vibratory tumbler even with the additives for those. The wet tumble process just does 1000 times better inside and out.

Lastly, don't fool with little rock tumblers or other such things, just go straight for the Frankford Arsenal beast that can do up to 1000 pieces of 223 at a time. The motor is very powerful. I wore out two different rock tumblers before I got the FA. As for design, make sure whatever you get, it has a multi-faceted inside (hexagon), not just round. This helps the brass tumble rather than roll.

my two cents!
-Mike
There have been a lot of great posts in this thread and I don't know who you are but you sound quite confident in the quality of the Frankford. I just dropped what was not an insignificant amount of money on a couple of fish for my aquarium and the FA price-point seemed nice

I'm thinking I'll decap, wet tumble, load and then vibrate polish in corncob but that may change.

Tracking puts this order on my doorstep Monday, in plenty of time for my birthday on Friday.

I want to say thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread ove the last 3 years

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumbler.jpg (68.9 KB, 118 views)

Old 04-20-2020, 8:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well it arrived but it’s stuck in WuhanVirus quarantine for3 days....Thanks China

Old 04-20-2020, 9:23 PM

I have the Extreme Rebel 17. It was the first piece that I got 3 years ago for cleaning my brass. Over 50,000 pieces later between 9,380,38 SPL,40,45 and now 10 mm it's still going strong!! Best investment I made other than 2 Dillon XL650 s' since I started reloading !!
Old 04-21-2020, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassparman View Post
Lastly, don't fool with little rock tumblers or other such things, just go straight for the Frankford Arsenal beast that can do up to 1000 pieces of 223 at a time.
Quote:
Well it arrived but it’s stuck in WuhanVirus quarantine for3 days....Thanks China
Should of bought the Thumbler.
Old 04-21-2020, 7:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cuda View Post
Should of bought the Thumbler.
I know but I’m conserving money and just spent $250 an exotic ornamental fish. I know that the Frankford is probably cheep WuhanChina junk but everything I have read about it is people who have been using it for years and love it. No complaints of premature failure or leaking, just phrases like “never going back” and it was in the price range I wanted to spend.

Here is the fish I got and his buddy that the seller threw in the deal to sweeten the port

Old 04-21-2020, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Here is the fish I got and his buddy that the seller threw in the deal to sweeten the port
Those are awesome looking fish.

I had a fish tank decades ago with Oscars. They don't even get along with themselves.
Old 04-21-2020, 9:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cuda View Post
Those are awesome looking fish.

I had a fish tank decades ago with Oscars. They don't even get along with themselves.

The lower fish is a powder blue tang (Acanthurus leucosternon) or PBT for short. Generally one of that size would be about $100-160 but I gladly paid $250 for this one because he has survived in captivity for 3 years ( I had seen him in that thank 18 months ago). The PBT has an extremely high rate of disease and death within the first few months of captive life. They are highly territorial and subject to stress which leads to disease. I would say that about 10% survive 1 year as opposed to generally 60-70% of most other fishes living that long. Once they make 1 year, a decade or more is not unrealistic.

The Vlamingi is just a really cool fish, not super colorful and not territorial but a wonderful temperament, like a old yellow Labrador retriever. My last vlamingi grew to 13” and insisted that I would scratch his belly any time I put my hand in the tank.

Old 04-24-2020, 6:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I’m gonna put this thing to the test

Old 04-24-2020, 10:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

makes super bright brass. It's a lot more work.

Old 04-25-2020, 9:55 AM
Veteran Member

Something not mentioned is that with wet tumbling you can't just forget about it. It must not be left in the solution for too long or the brass will discolor.

With dry tumbling, you can tumble it for 30 minutes or 30 hours (if you forgot it was on). And afterwards, you can leave that brass in the tumbler indefinitely because there's no chemical reaction going on. I've dry tumbled brass on a Sunday evening, and then turned it off & left it there, and didn't get back to it until a few weeks later. No problems.
Old 05-04-2020, 4:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Back from Lithuania. Still running from folks in Esotonia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestrictedColt View Post
Balls wouldn't get into the corners of the cases and I don't think they'd do much where they could reach either. I've never seen balls used in industrial cleaning/polishing operations either so I'm guessing they just don't do the job.
THIS...^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would not even consider ANYTHING unless it was Jeweler's shot, and that stuff is expensive. It is like rounded on one end and jagged on the other, like if you took a BB and make it totally soft, then pulled out one side a little bit to a point. But also at $18 for a single pound, yeah too expensive.

Or maybe it is the Dillon of wet media... I will look into it and see where it takes me.

Until then, pins are still safe and good to go. The pins that I will be selling in a few weeks are the shorter, but still thick enough to NOT jam up your flash hole. The pins I have now are shorter then previous pins, but they SEEM like they could jam your flash hole, but they did not, not on the new testing I just completed anyways. Now I gotta test them out for real with a full barrel...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 05-04-2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
Something not mentioned is that with wet tumbling you can't just forget about it. It must not be left in the solution for too long or the brass will discolor.
Depends on your solution. I use either Dawn or car wash and wax with about an eighth to a quarter teaspoon of Lemishine. I've run brass as short as an hour, and as long as 12. The only times I've had seriously oddly colored brass was a normal run (3 hours), with non-standard solutions (usually more Lemishine.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2020, 8:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have come to the conclusion that wet tumbling is a giant waste of time and completely unnecessary.

that said, I love the way the brass comes out looking better than new and I wet tumble everything. It’s my time and my money and I’ll waste it as I see fit.

Last step is to clean off the lube and thin coat of wax in the vibratory with corncob and the ammo looks amazing.

Haters gonna hate.

Old 09-16-2020, 9:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Back from Lithuania. Still running from folks in Esotonia...

I hope it comes out that wet tumbling is causing excessive greenhouse gasses in CA. I will stream every cleaning session if it does... Hell, I might just leave my thumler rolling on stream just to piss off Sacramento...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...