Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-06-2013, 2:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Do not work for LA Probation, but I think you are almost done. Just try to stay relx during your psy process.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:34 AM

Was told I cleared my background for DSO. Got scheduled for my psych written/interview and medical as well. A bit worried about my EKG though, i've had a prior medical for US Customs and when the Dr. did the EKG, the EKG read that I had a right bundle branch block (which is funny since I've experienced no heart problems before whatsoever and exercise/run regularly about 4 times a week). I had to get this EKG "problem" cleared up with my regular doctor and this delayed my US Customs application by about 2 months. My questions mainly for LtMike is would this likely cause a similar delay for me for LAC Probation if my EKG happens to indicate that I have "problems" again? Would they even let me see my regular doctor to clear things up for my EKG like US Customs did or would Probation just dq me on the spot? Also I just started wearing contacts about a month and a half ago, would this delay my medical as well? (I believe LAPD has a rule where one must have worn contacts for 3 months prior to entering academy, not sure if Probation has similar requirements) Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited by JB24; 08-07-2013 at 2:11 AM..
Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 AM

I don't know what the doctors will say about your previous ekg. The Doc will evaluate you and if they feel yolu need further assessment then he will make the call. The glasses or contacts are a non issue. As long as you are 20/40 with either glasses or contacts. The contact issue is only a problem if you are going to apply for one of our armed un its. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2013, 3:18 PM

Update: I took my psy written part of the test today its pretty intrusive. Alot of bubbling in scatrons I was in by 8:30am out by 2:00pm FYI whoevers taking the test take a mental break this test actually will pick apart your brain...
Old 08-09-2013, 12:37 PM

Default New to The Thread

Lt. Mike

I recently completed backgrounds, medical and psych. Does newly hired DPOII go through an academy as well? If so do you know when the academy will start? Thank You
Old 08-09-2013, 6:17 PM

Yes, you have to go through an academy. Which academy depends on which DPO II position you applied to. If it is the DPO II treatment and counseling then you have to complete Juvenile corrections officer core. If you applied to DPO II field, then you have to complete Field Probation Officer Core. The next FPOC is scheduled to start september 3. Next JCOC is October 14.
Old 08-09-2013, 7:39 PM

Thank You!
Old 08-10-2013, 7:36 AM

I took the test and passed it about 2 months ago. I was advised that there is a computerized assessment being added to the application process, however I don't have to take it (I already have taken it for another County exam). Can I have any advice on the interview?

Last edited by 1971; 08-29-2013 at 12:33 PM..
Old 08-23-2013, 11:01 PM

Does this new assessment test qualify you to take the actual written test?
Old 08-24-2013, 5:22 AM

Yes, the online assessment is used to qualify your ability to take the actual written exam. Good luck.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:44 PM

I applied for the DPO1 job in February this year (2013) and had my oral interview on 8/10/13. I received my score of 95 on 8/21/13 and hopefully I'll receive my background packet very soon. Does anyone know how long the process of being hired will take these days?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill88 View Post
I applied for the DPO1 job in February this year (2013) and had my oral interview on 8/10/13. I received my score of 95 on 8/21/13 and hopefully I'll receive my background packet very soon. Does anyone know how long the process of being hired will take these days?
To give u an idea. Interviewed in March, completed the finals steps two weeks ago. Still waiting on a final decision.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:57 PM

how long was the polygraph examination and what kind of questions do they ask? Are they all yes/no questions or do you have to elaborate on your answers? Are they questions directly from your background packet answers?
Old 08-26-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
how long was the polygraph examination and what kind of questions do they ask? Are they all yes/no questions or do you have to elaborate on your answers? Are they questions directly from your background packet answers?
Whole session felt like over an hour. Yes/No questions that come from the background. The only time you elaborate is before the poly because the examiner wants to makes you have no conflict by the wording of the question.
Old 08-26-2013, 7:29 AM

Thanks and good luck!!!
Old 08-26-2013, 3:03 PM

Hey Lt. Mike, do you know if they are currently hiring DPO's right now? I received my oral interview score (95) last week and I was wondering if you or anyone else knew if people have been getting mailed background packets lately?(DPO I)
Old 08-26-2013, 3:45 PM

@roadkill88 I received my background packet two weeks after I took my oral interview
Old 08-26-2013, 4:46 PM

Yes they are hiring DPO I and DPO II positions. But remember as I have stated previously, the majority of the positions are DSO items. You can say that for every academy class about 10% are DPO series. That percentage will go up as we promote more folks from within. Once those folks are promoted then it becomes easier to hire more DPO items off the street. Hang in there, they will get to you eventually.
Old 08-26-2013, 8:35 PM

Hello, just registered on this site and have read many useful things many of you have had to say. I will have my interview this Saturday. Any advise Lt. Mike or anyone else who was already interiewed? What questions can i expect? Also, do you recommend I bring in extra resumes and perhaps recommendation letters from DPOs I work with? Hope to hear from you soon.
Old 08-26-2013, 8:43 PM

Thanks Lt. Mike
Old 08-26-2013, 8:49 PM

@Dj1915- I interviewed a couple weeks ago and they didn't ask for resume or any other items. They asked me around 7 questions that were pretty simple. Situational questions and things like why I want the job. When did u apply for the position?
Old 08-26-2013, 8:53 PM

@orachadtodd6- how long ago was your oral interview and did they contact u or did the packet just come in the mail? Last question, how many days did they give you to fill it out before you had to turn it in?
Old 08-26-2013, 8:58 PM

@rodkill88- I applied back in May. Can you recall what some of the situational questions were? I appreciate your feedback.
Old 08-26-2013, 9:15 PM

@Dj1915- I can't remember the exact questions but they asked if a fight was happening what would you do?
Old 08-26-2013, 9:23 PM

Ok, thanks.
Old 08-27-2013, 6:33 AM

Hi Mr. Mike,

Do you know how long it takes to hear a final response after background, medical and psych are all complete?
Old 08-27-2013, 8:21 AM

@roadkill88 to answer your question the oral interview was about 30 to 45 minutes long they ask me around 10 general questions. As far as the background packet after I took my oral interview maybe two weeks later thats when I receive my background packet through the mail they did not contact me. They give me two weeks to complete the background packet and to get all the require documents, I suggest you start getting those items now, transcipts, H-6 prints, credit report and etc hope I answer your question
Old 08-27-2013, 8:29 AM

@orachadtodd6- can you recall any questions you were asked in the interview?
Old 08-27-2013, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orachadtodd6 View Post
@roadkill88 to answer your question the oral interview was about 30 to 45 minutes long they ask me around 10 general questions. As far as the background packet after I took my oral interview maybe two weeks later thats when I receive my background packet through the mail they did not contact me. They give me two weeks to complete the background packet and to get all the require documents, I suggest you start getting those items now, transcipts, H-6 prints, credit report and etc hope I answer your question
I've already had my oral and passed with a score of 95. I meant how long ago was your oral interview?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:20 AM

@dj1915 Honestly I cant remember I think they were basic question like Why do you want to become a PO I took it back in March @roadkill88
Old 08-29-2013, 8:05 PM

I called the department this morning to get an update on my status and they informed that they are mailing out background packets to people who place in band 1. So hopefully I'll be receiving mines very soon.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:52 AM

For those who have gone through the oral interview can you please tell me what type of questions were asked or at least tell me what information I should review. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-03-2013, 9:18 AM

Quote:
I called the department this morning to get an update on my status and they informed that they are mailing out background packets to people who place in band 1. So hopefully I'll be receiving mines very soon.
I am glad that they told you that they are sending out background packets. The process started out very quickly for me with the written test, oral, and receiving my score. this was back in like late april, early may. since then I have not heard anything. I have a score of 100 so I was kind of nervous that I had not received any additional info or background packets.
Old 09-03-2013, 9:21 AM

Has anyone else heard back from HR or received packets?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhaylock View Post
I am glad that they told you that they are sending out background packets. The process started out very quickly for me with the written test, oral, and receiving my score. this was back in like late april, early may. since then I have not heard anything. I have a score of 100 so I was kind of nervous that I had not received any additional info or background packets.
I hope the lady who answered the phone knows what she is talking about. Someone should call them again just to see what they say. If I do get a packet anytime soon or even hear from them I will be sure to post it. I met a guy yesterday who said that he got a 97 on his oral in march and hasn't heard anything since.
Old 09-03-2013, 1:16 PM

I hear you! Same thing for me! I tested in April and did the oral in May. I got band 1 a 95 and nothing yet. Hurry up and wait! I hope its true that they are sending out background packets...
Old 09-03-2013, 3:18 PM

Smile New To Calguns.net and a DSO & DPO I Applicant

Hello All,

As I was searching for the Los Angeles County Probation Department job description for the DPO I position on Google, I was led to this forum. I have taken the liberty to read EVERY single thread in this forum. After doing that, I decided I wanted to be a part of this community so I joined. This is my first day (and subsequently, my first post).

As my title states I am a DPO I applicant, and a DSO applicant. As Lt. Mike stated, I figured I would apply for anything they were hiring for, and then move my way around once I got hired on.

All of your posts are extremely informative. Lt. Mike, I especially appreciate the great detail you insert into your replies Sir.

I am scheduled for my oral for DPO I on Saturday September 14th. Based on everything I have read in this forum, I am going to do everything in my power to get into band 1. I applied for the IA (Investigator Aid) position awhile back. Went through the process (written and oral), made it into band 1, but did not get a call. It was a little frustrating, but to be honest, it is the life of applying for law enforcement jobs.

I have one question. As I was reading the DPO I job description, I noticed the admonition of: "must be able to obtain a class B license within 90 days of being hired." Does anyone know why this is? Has anyone else seen this admonition?

Thanks all, and I look forward to reading your replies.
Old 09-03-2013, 4:14 PM

Hello and welcome to the board.

This is a great place with alot of knowledgable folks that are willing to help. To answer your question regarding DPO I needing a class B. Every DPO I will start out working in one of our juvenlle detention camps. Most of these camps are out in the middle of nowhere. A couple of camps are 22 miles into a national forest. The camps use the 15 passenger vans to transport minors in and out of the camps. sometimes, the regular DPO's have to transport the minors to court, other facilties or perhaps to a doctors appointment. Since you will be transporting in a larger vehicle, the department requires the class B for liability reasons. I believe that the department will train you in house but you still have to go to DMV to take the test.

good luck
Old 09-03-2013, 4:29 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtMike70 View Post
Hello and welcome to the board.

This is a great place with alot of knowledgable folks that are willing to help. To answer your question regarding DPO I needing a class B. Every DPO I will start out working in one of our juvenlle detention camps. Most of these camps are out in the middle of nowhere. A couple of camps are 22 miles into a national forest. The camps use the 15 passenger vans to transport minors in and out of the camps. sometimes, the regular DPO's have to transport the minors to court, other facilties or perhaps to a doctors appointment. Since you will be transporting in a larger vehicle, the department requires the class B for liability reasons. I believe that the department will train you in house but you still have to go to DMV to take the test.

good luck
Thank you Sir!
Old 09-03-2013, 5:47 PM

For all those of you who waiting on PHS packets just be patient. Just to put things into perspective here's my time frame. I applied for the DSO position under last years opening (which I recall was around April of 2012), tested in June '12, Oral end of Jul '12, and received my band score (96) mid August '12. After that I didn't receive a background packet until the end of Feb. '13. I then had my bg interview/PHS submittal in mid March '13. I finally just had my last step of the process about two weeks ago which was my psych interview. So it may seem long but be patient there will be movement.