Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 03-15-2020, 7:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Red dot agency policy

My agency is moving towards allowing red dot sights but we still need a policy and admin is slow rolling it. Would anyone here be willing to send me a copy of your agency policy or template? Im writing a memo to submit to my admin for review and I can PM my department email address. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2020, 10:53 AM

Ours says it allows faster target acquisition, better visibility in low light conditions, etc. I’m sure you know that but if not, I’d put that in the memo.
Old 03-16-2020, 1:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My $0.02 info: First shot is slower with pistol mounted optics until after some time is spent with the platform and mechanics/dynamics of presentation. aka "dot hunting" It takes time to get the to equal speed to irons. But once you are there you will see your iron sight fundamentals and speed improve as well.

Once you have your time on and they point in naturally/second nature - they are a game changer.

I am very interested to learn how others have implemented/transitioned their folks to them?
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Our policy allows any pistol and modifications as long as it's approved by a range master. There's several guys with them on their guns.

I'm a huge fan of pistol mounted red dots, but still unsure if I'd want it on my duty gun.