Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:45 AM
Head Janitor

Default ? for CHP members

Last week my Wife an I were involved in a traffic collision.

We were driving Eastbound on the 101 in the #4 lane and I lane changed in to the #3 lane. Prior to the collision I checked the lane, checked the mirrors and the Subaru's warning systems all said we were good to go.

Midway in to the lane we were struck on the driver's side.
I moved quickly back in to the #4 lane and the other vehicle shot past us and ended up ahead of us in the #4 lane as well.

We pulled off the freeway and while we took pictures she sat in her car crying.
She called CHP and of course promptly said 'you hit me', I gave the Officer the details I remembered at the time and then left when we were told we could go.

Today we got the CHP report and it is not even remotely related to what actually happened.
There is no mention of her speeding past us, no mention of her ending up in our lane ahead of us, no mention of the damage to our car showing a clear increasing impact as she came in to us and broke away and the Officer determined that despite the fact that the Subaru will not allow you to lane change in to another vehicle I was at fault.
it's a Subaru, if you try to lane change in to another vehicle it literally steers you back in to your original lane.

So I would like to ask how do I contest this report and have all the missing data included in it because frankly this is bullcrap.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was backing out of a parking stall on private property. The lane was one way with arrows clearly marking the direction. As I backed up a car entered the parking lot hauling *** going the wrong direction and we hit. CHP came and told me I had nothing to worry about. Gave me a copy of a basic report. A couple of weeks later I got the full report where he said it was my negligence.
Old 03-10-2020, 2:01 PM

Sorry, not CHP - glad you and the Mrs are ok and it wasn't worse!
Old 03-10-2020, 2:20 PM

I had CHP write a fact faulty report once.
I immediately corrected it with a “statement of fact” from the “victim/damaged party”
The other party’s statement was impossible to have happened.
My insurance company found the other driver at fault and the accident was not charged against us.
A good reason to have multi directional cameras installed.
Old 03-10-2020, 2:25 PM
Veteran Member

had the same thing happen to a friend with Camarillo PD. The report has him at fault when the evidence is clear he wasn't, and the report doesn't match what happened. Officer's response was I'm sorry I can't change it anymore. His son is LEO somewhere and has been reaching out to Camarillo to see if they can do anything.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin, 1759

Brand NEW Apple MacBooks and Mini for sale
Old 03-11-2020, 8:55 PM

I get your frustration and hopefully this doesn’t come across as rude, but in this instance from your own words you would be at fault. Just because the car has technology, that doesn’t relieve you of responsibility to make a safe lane change. i know that’s not what you may have meant but that’s probably how it was perceived. At the end of the day, the report is not the be all end all. It’s not an investigative T/C so the CHP Officer doesn’t have to include separate summaries from each party or any of the additional information that you want in the report.

The report is just a statement of what the officer believes to be the cause of the collision. I don’t know of any specific way to “contest” the report unless there are factual inaccuracies not just omissions. The fact is you merged into a lane where there was another car. That’s supported by your statement regardless of lane change technology. That would be the primary collision factor. The only helpful thing you can do is to ask for an associated collision factor of unsafe speed be attributed to her.

As a helpful aside because, traffic collision reporting requirements are frequently misunderstood, I recommend everyone look up the collision investigation manual. Not to read in its entirety but to be aware of what officers actually report during a basic non-injury collision. It’s bare bones and should not be expected to truly summarize or capture the incident. There’s no evidence collection, unless they changed policy CHP doesn’t even take pictures, and there’s no actual recording of statements.

I’m sorry it happened to you but at least you and your wife are safe.
Old 03-11-2020, 9:23 PM

Let's start with a couple things. 1st of all your Subaru will let you change lanes even if it believes a car's there. Saying that it won't is just factually incorrect. It promps you with a light, audible warning and a slight direction correction but to say it prohibits you from changing lanes is false. It would be insane for a vehicle manufacturer to stop you from changing lanes if an emergency occurred. Teslas drive themselves and you can overide the self drive with a steering input and have a collision. Your statement would.basically be saying the Subarus are incapable of unsafe lane changes...which is false.

What the Subaru wont do is alert you if you make a lane change as a vehicle is "approaching" your rear from lets say 1 or 2 carlengths back (20ft). It will alert of the vehicle is "at" your rear. If this occured you would be at fault and your Subaru "never alerted you".

Secondly REGARDLESS of what you think you saw, felt, heard what your Subaru told you etc etc. If that other driver said they were travelling in the #3 prior to your lane change from the #4 then you are at fault...period. The only thing that could save you was if you could prove they were travelling at a speed so great that they forfeited their "right of way" due to their excessive speed. If they are claiming they were established in that lane prior to your movement then it is your repsonsibility make the lane change safely. Could they accomplish this by outright lieing?? Yes.

Read the report im sure she is listed as "P-2" i would bet 1 billion dollars she stated she was travelling in the #3 prior to your movement....

Thirdly the lane they ended up in following the collision has little to do with what occured. When your travelling at 110ft/per second cars do weird things. If i was in the #3 and you lane changed me i could easily collide with you and end up in any lane depending on my actions "after" the collision.

Lastly "side swipe" damage provides little info on who was doing what prior to a collision. Im going to guess her damage starts on the passenger side front till about 3/4 down the vehicle and yours starts drivers side rear going 3/4 towards the front. Again if she stated she was in the lane the entire time this can be indicative of your vehicle travelling into her lane as she proceeded forward. It can also be that she moved from the #2 to #3 as you moved from the #4 to #3 (my guess).

They way fault gets determined is by asking what movement prior to the collison had the greatest impact on the collision occuring? If she stated she was going straight then your lane change would be that movement. I would also bet the "PCF" on the report is 22658vc ( unsafe lane change)

You have to be careful when you give statements. If i took a report and someone was stating to me that their vehicle prohibits them from making unsafe lane changes i would immediately scrutinize their statement being that they are already providing inaccurate information....
Old 03-11-2020, 9:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

It's all about having that dash cam setup settle the debate.. Maybe not everytime, but more often than not.
Old 03-12-2020, 9:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Have you considered that P2 was in the #2 lane and that you both changed lanes into the #3 Lane at the same time?
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 03-13-2020, 6:45 PM

Your insurance will find who is at fault independently from the CHP. While not a CHP handle my wife was in a parking lot traveling through a intersection when a vehicle traveling from her right came through the same intersection. He hit her. She gave a statement to the police that she was traveling through the intersection and then going to park on the left. He said he was going through the intersection. The police put my wife at fault because she was making a turning maneuver. She had to get through the intersection before any turning could happen so we contested the report. The Sgt was less than helpful and did not want to hear what my wife had to say. Myself being in law enforcement pressed the issue until he said he would reopen the file and check it. We left his office at 10:30 am....the report showed up two days later time stamped 10:32 am the same day.

Our insurance reviewed the case and determined the other driver at fault and we did not have to pay for any damages. More than likely your insurance will go 50/50 on fault. Don't sweat it. The officer at my wife's wreak made up her mind who was at fault before she did any leg work. That is most likely what happened in your case from statements made at the time...whether truthful or not by either party.
Old 03-13-2020, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Last week my Wife an I were involved in a traffic collision.

We were driving Eastbound on the 101 in the #4 lane and I lane changed in to the #3 lane. Prior to the collision I checked the lane, checked the mirrors and the Subaru's warning systems all said we were good to go.

Midway in to the lane we were struck on the driver's side.
I moved quickly back in to the #4 lane and the other vehicle shot past us and ended up ahead of us in the #4 lane as well.

We pulled off the freeway and while we took pictures she sat in her car crying.
She called CHP and of course promptly said 'you hit me', I gave the Officer the details I remembered at the time and then left when we were told we could go.

Today we got the CHP report and it is not even remotely related to what actually happened.
There is no mention of her speeding past us, no mention of her ending up in our lane ahead of us, no mention of the damage to our car showing a clear increasing impact as she came in to us and broke away and the Officer determined that despite the fact that the Subaru will not allow you to lane change in to another vehicle I was at fault.
it's a Subaru, if you try to lane change in to another vehicle it literally steers you back in to your original lane.

[B]So I would like to ask how do I contest this report and have all the missing data included in it because frankly this is bullcrap.
You will need to contact the CHP office listed on the information card you were provided at the accident scene. Ask to speak with the AI review officer, who signed off on the collision. (Initials will be on the bottom of the report) Then when you receive no satisfaction ask to speak with the Special Duty Sergeant. Ask him the procedure for filing a "Supplemental" statement of facts which you are requesting to have attached to the investigation.

After all of this the insurance company will make their own determination as to fault and make appropriate monetary compensation.
Old 03-14-2020, 3:12 AM

Default chaning lanes

Not CHP but was traffic cop for years. You need to rotate your head and look at your blind spots. Your mirrors will not show you if someone is in a lane next to in the area of your rear wheels.........both sides. Another thing based on my observation is many drivers let up on the gas as they begin to change lanes so they slow down slightly and the car in the blind spot gains on them. Find your blind spots.
Old 03-14-2020, 7:06 AM

I’m not CHP but I’m my experience, the insurance companies conduct their own independent investigation and make a determination based on what their investigator thinks happened.
Old 03-14-2020, 7:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky8601 View Post
You will need to contact the CHP office listed on the information card you were provided at the accident scene. Ask to speak with the AI review officer, who signed off on the collision. (Initials will be on the bottom of the report) Then when you receive no satisfaction ask to speak with the Special Duty Sergeant. Ask him the procedure for filing a "Supplemental" statement of facts which you are requesting to have attached to the investigation.

After all of this the insurance company will make their own determination as to fault and make appropriate monetary compensation.
^^^^THIS^^^^

This gentleman knows what he's talking about.

~Pope John Paul II
Old 03-20-2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky8601 View Post

this

Do not go gentle into that good night.*
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:54 AM

I don't work for chp but I did traffic investigations for a number of years and testified in criminal and civil cases pertaining to them.

One of the best things my department ever did is stop responding to non injury traffic collisions and tell people to exchange information and contact their insurance company.

If I witnessed a collision i wouldn't
mind getting involved but I got sick and tired of getting dragged into he said she said situations like your incident.

The officer might have an opinion who is at fault but remember its just an opinion and if there is a dispute have the insurance companies argue with their experts and lawyers in court.

There is a reason 99% of the time a jury will never see a police report.

Based on what you told me, if you change lanes and get into a collision, I could see how you got placed at fault. I didn't see the scene, damage, or hear other statements so it's not an accurate opinion whatsoever.
Old 03-21-2020, 3:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What was listed as the "PCF" on your report. "PCF" is the Primary Collision Factor".

Usually the PCF refers to what movement on the roadway caused the collision. It will be listed as a Vehicle Code section and applies to Party 1 (P-1)

In the report there may also be listed "other associated factors" which could apply to Party -2 (P-2).

So basically if the Officer believes you were 51% responsible for the accident you will be P-1. He could list P-2 as also being partially responsible in the "other associated factors" box. on the CHP report form. (CHP555)

Here is a pretty good link which explains in more detail about PCF as well as the OAF boxes.

https://www.torklaw.com/legal-info/h...lision-report/

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Last edited by SVT-40; 03-21-2020 at 3:17 PM..
Old 03-21-2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalado View Post
Let's start with a couple things. 1st of all your Subaru will let you change lanes even if it believes a car's there. Saying that it won't is just factually incorrect. It promps you with a light, audible warning and a slight direction correction but to say it prohibits you from changing lanes is false. It would be insane for a vehicle manufacturer to stop you from changing lanes if an emergency occurred. Teslas drive themselves and you can overide the self drive with a steering input and have a collision. Your statement would.basically be saying the Subarus are incapable of unsafe lane changes...which is false.

What the Subaru wont do is alert you if you make a lane change as a vehicle is "approaching" your rear from lets say 1 or 2 carlengths back (20ft). It will alert of the vehicle is "at" your rear. If this occured you would be at fault and your Subaru "never alerted you".

Secondly REGARDLESS of what you think you saw, felt, heard what your Subaru told you etc etc. If that other driver said they were travelling in the #3 prior to your lane change from the #4 then you are at fault...period. The only thing that could save you was if you could prove they were travelling at a speed so great that they forfeited their "right of way" due to their excessive speed. If they are claiming they were established in that lane prior to your movement then it is your repsonsibility make the lane change safely. Could they accomplish this by outright lieing?? Yes.

Read the report im sure she is listed as "P-2" i would bet 1 billion dollars she stated she was travelling in the #3 prior to your movement....

Thirdly the lane they ended up in following the collision has little to do with what occured. When your travelling at 110ft/per second cars do weird things. If i was in the #3 and you lane changed me i could easily collide with you and end up in any lane depending on my actions "after" the collision.

Lastly "side swipe" damage provides little info on who was doing what prior to a collision. Im going to guess her damage starts on the passenger side front till about 3/4 down the vehicle and yours starts drivers side rear going 3/4 towards the front. Again if she stated she was in the lane the entire time this can be indicative of your vehicle travelling into her lane as she proceeded forward. It can also be that she moved from the #2 to #3 as you moved from the #4 to #3 (my guess).

They way fault gets determined is by asking what movement prior to the collison had the greatest impact on the collision occuring? If she stated she was going straight then your lane change would be that movement. I would also bet the "PCF" on the report is 22658vc ( unsafe lane change)

You have to be careful when you give statements. If i took a report and someone was stating to me that their vehicle prohibits them from making unsafe lane changes i would immediately scrutinize their statement being that they are already providing inaccurate information....
Yes, the (paraphrasing here) "Subaru would never let me do an unsafe lane change" raised my eyebrow too. Well done and thought out reply. OP. Glad you are ok. Sorry it happened. Best.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:41 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Every single one of the 911 ambulances that I worked in had dash cams. I have them in my car as well front and rear. This will always solve your problem. They're not expensive either.

I hope you find resolution to your issue. It sounds like that report is very vague.
Old 05-12-2020, 5:45 PM

In this state, I always assume the worse when driving. (plan for and expect the worst possible scenario) Someone will be in my blind spot, someone will run a red light, someone will change lanes when I want to change lanes. Casual cruising, especially in the bay area is history. Sorry about the accident.

My wife's camry has the mirror indicators and lane assist and all that junk....It can make you complacent - I turn it all off unless, I'm in the middle of Nevada or Utah. Still need to turn your head.