Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 82 8.46%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 653 67.39%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 21 2.17%
I paid too much for my Membership! 45 4.64%
They will go out of business this year! 23 2.37%
Don't want anything to do with them! 145 14.96%
Voters: 969. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2020, 7:18 AM

Well, we are in a little over a week and half of social distancing at our house. It brings tears to my eyes seeing wife gazing thru the window - maybe next week I'll let her back in!

Any, I helped the economy yesterday and ordered a new gun from Wilson Combat.Hope to get out to FS in September and just may make it a two week trip
Old 04-01-2020, 1:24 PM

Just got it:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Front Sight Commander member.
NRA Life Member
Old 04-01-2020, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the update. Hopefully it does not extend past that as I have a May 1st shotgun course.
Old 04-02-2020, 8:13 PM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
Inline replies....
First of - many apologies for getting back late. The detailed response you have provided has been very informative the prior weeks.

Quote:
The rules for shooting multiples are that you must be in line with the final target you shoot.

There are allot of ways that you can shoot it; here's how I shoot it.
I shoot right to left.

As I rotate right to left, my body effectively winds-up in tension. In theory that slows down your rotation and some people don't like that. I think I benefit from the increased tension as it keeps me more stable.
Thanks for the clarification on the rules. I was standing in front of the first target.

I wonder if there are any cons when shooting Left-to-Right. For one, I find that my transitions L-to-R is faster/smoother than R-to-L; albeit, I will be in an Isoceles Stance with my Left foot pointing towards the left-most target.

My dry practice up until now is transitions between 3 targets, ie., the classic El Prez, but then, I stand in front of the middle target. Anyways, I will need to setup a new target stand for target #4.

Quote:
Click.
Strong hand begins slight clockwise rotation while breaking grip from weak hand.
I drive the bottom of the magazine into the heel of my weak hand.
My weak hand is also rotating and starting to cup.
As soon as the strike is completer the weak hand is coming up over the slide while the strong hand continues to rotate.
Racked while rotated.
Weak hand moves back to firing grip while strong hand rotates back to a sight picture.
Ending with finger on trigger deciding whether or not to shoot.

...Just keep practicing...
Thank you for this!!! This actually gave me insights to work on my movements to meet the time!!! I am making it, but it is CLOSE!!! As in really close...

Yes, as you said - the more I practice the more it would naturally smoothen/speed up. And maybe, I can have a Eureka moment on where else can I take a "shortcut."

Quote:
Don't forget that Type 1 and 2 are the exact same mechanics, it simply starts with the 'look and move'.

Since you aren't having issue with Type 2 but are with Type 1, that suggests to me that you are manipulating the gun differently at the tap, rack/flip stage. I would suggest filming your self or having someone watch you.
Although I filmed myself doing Type 3 this morning (see below). I forgot that I also had to film Type 1 and Type 2 to see where there are differences. I will do it again in my next session. Hahaha!!! Stupid me!!!

Oh yes - one point that I noted in my practice log is that it is really painful if you make a mistake. There are a few times that when I was going for the rack I was scraping against my rear iron sights. *ouch* Definitely need to be precise on where in the slide that I need to cup.

Quote:
For Type 3 it is very important to note a couple things different from the Defensive Handgun skills test. The Advanced and Master's handgun tests do not require a 'mag check'. The other is that there seems to be a gray area on the 3x rack. On the basic skills test they don't tend to reinforce keeping your weak hand gripping the slide during while racking. Letting go takes too much time to reacquire a grip.
I would appreciate if you could take a look at my Type 3 below...

That said, key things that I have noted in my log book:

Quote:
4.0-sec is actually a long time. I have had several reps where I beat the time by a few tenths. If you look at my video, if I just lose that slight 'pause' during the reload, I may have gotten less than 3.9. Again - this is dependent on whether I am doing it correctly (NO MISTAKES/hesitations/slip-ups).
That said, if there is no requirement for a 'mag check' - then 4.0-par for Type 3 has become way more doable. I am already doing a mag check and getting less than 4.0...

Quote:
Also note that its quite rare to actually do the malfunction portion of the test. It generally gets skipped unless someone has the possibility of passing.
Whoa!?!

Quote:
Try it all, see what works for you.
Will do! Thanks!

Since there are no indoor ranges here that are 50-yards far, I try to make do with the ragged hole drill.

I set a 1-inch target at 5-yards, the shot timer at 5.5 (HCM is at 6.0) and I start from the low ready. I would believe that 6.0 is indeed a long time; but then again, with the anxiety/stress, etc. the seconds will just fly away.

Quote:
Good luck to you on your journey!!!
Thank you! I will do my best. I just need to get creative around the constraints that I have, ie., a range to practice draws and pairs at different distances, family/career responsibilities, as well, opportunities to travel to Pahrump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
For all drills during the test you will be reacting to the cadence, not simply a random beep. Running drills with a random beep will get you a few hundredths back when you run with a cadence. The line is set...ready...beep
So, how does the Range Master/Instructors know that you have made the time?

I would believe that for the shooting portion, turning targets (I have NOT attended the 2DSB, so, don't have a feel for it)...? How about for the manipulations portion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_G22 View Post
1) Take the 4-day HCMP class
Absolutely! I just need to find a time I can go. I would believe that I can't take the HCMP curriculum in a private class (President+0 membership)...? 4-days + 2-days' travel is really difficult for me.

Quote:
3) For HCM, Malfunctions start with "Point in, press, finger straight" THEN the beep and timer starts
Hhhmmm... If I am understanding you correctly - there is actually "more" time available?

Quote:
4) Zeroing - for thoracic shots, not that much of an issue. For 25M and 50M how your eyes pick up the sights and sight picture may be more of a factor. You need to practice 25M and 50M shots to find "YOUR BEST HOLD", and then use it. Also, treat the 50M shots like a ragged hole drill. Sight picture perspective is similar, and plenty of time.
Definitely agree with that, as per my reply to @mej16489 above.

Quote:
On the range, you are not trying to beat the turner times, you are just making your presentation and perfect press - and it happens to be within the time frame.
I think I will need more practice to understand and/or realize what you are trying to say here...

Again, sorry for the late response! But thank you for the tip. Hope to see you again in the range.

As always, thank you gentlemen...

With all things said, I think it would be really good if I could see a HCM do the test. I have heard from the instructors that you guys are so smooth and efficient. Just like a drill/drum/whatever kind of precision team...

_

Last edited by rodralig; 04-02-2020 at 8:18 PM..
Old 04-02-2020, 8:37 PM

Type 3 steps are all there, looks good.
Focus on keeping the weapon high the entire time.
Old 04-02-2020, 8:45 PM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
Type 3 steps are all there, looks good.
Focus on keeping the weapon high the entire time.
Thank you!

Yes, I had noted as one of my objectives for this morning's dry practice. I thought I had it, but when I reviewed the footage.... It was quite low, still...

I will definitely work on it.

_
Old 04-03-2020, 9:52 AM

Nice presentation! Like Jedi54 stated a little higher gun and you will probably shave some time.
Old 04-03-2020, 1:04 PM

watching now on my PC in slomo and have some additional feedback.
keep in mind now I'm simply nitpicking but I want to help you make sure you are doing these perfectly.

Could be the angle I'm viewing this from but it appears as you are stripping the magazine and again when going up to rack it, you appear to muzzle your hand.
After you insert the magazine and rack the slide, your hand positioning during that portion of the clearance is much better as the support hand stays well behind the ejection port the entire time.

hope that helps.
Old 04-03-2020, 1:44 PM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
keep in mind now I'm simply nitpicking but I want to help you make sure you are doing these perfectly.

Could be the angle I'm viewing this from but it appears as you are stripping the magazine and again when going up to rack it, you appear to muzzle your hand.
After you insert the magazine and rack the slide, your hand positioning during that portion of the clearance is much better as the support hand stays well behind the ejection port the entire time.

hope that helps.
Let me take a look again (I am in the middle of a call right now / WFH hahaha... but checking CalGuns...)

And no - there are no problems with being nitpicky. I actually appreciate it! And what I am looking for... Those precise details are what is needed to get better. I learn from those who know and have done it.

Much regards,

_
Old 04-03-2020, 3:03 PM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Hi @Jedi54

Which repetition are you referring to? 1st or the 2nd?

I loaded up the rendered 1080/60p file on VLC. These are the screenshots of frames that may have been dubious:

String 1 - Frame 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iprlj1dbrt...ng1-1.jpg?dl=0
String 1 - Frame 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ubkswd4zng...ng1-2.jpg?dl=0 (Would look like it, but it was NOT in Front of the muzzle)
String 1 - Frame 3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bop9tisf71...ng1-3.jpg?dl=0
String 2 - Frame 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rllavu14ka...ng2-1.jpg?dl=0

Thoughts?

Regardless - I will need to make adjustments to my movements so there is no absolute doubt. I am thinking to keep my support hand closer to my body especially when stripping the magazine (instead of just throwing it out).

Quote:
support hand stays well behind the ejection port the entire time.
If I understand this - muzzling could be defined as anything pass the ejection port even if it hasn't gone past the muzzle and/or in front of the muzzle?

Let me know?

Thanks in advanced!!

Quote:

hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Let me take a look again (I am in the middle of a call right now / WFH hahaha... but checking CalGuns...)

And no - there are no problems with being nitpicky. I actually appreciate it! And what I am looking for... Those precise details are what is needed to get better. I learn from those who know and have done it.

Much regards,

_
Old 04-03-2020, 3:58 PM

rodralig,

appreciate you being accepting of the critique.
I was referring to the 1st rep.

This is all about economy of motion so watch your support hand after you've stripped the magazine. Look at the trajectory you take when inserting the mag and racking the slide.
That's what you want.
the motion to lock and strip is really no different than inserting and racking so keep that hand closer to your body as it's smoother all the way through.

as for muzzling, in its true definition it would require your hand to be forward of the muzzle but any time you get used to having it so close to the front sight, in a high stress situation, it's not too far from being in a danger zone so I try to be very aware of where that hand is at all times.
Remember, the point of dry practice is to be perfect which is why I'm critiquing so much.

hope that helps.
Old 04-03-2020, 4:11 PM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
This is all about economy of motion so watch your support hand after you've stripped the magazine. Look at the trajectory you take when inserting the mag and racking the slide.
That's what you want.
the motion to lock and strip is really no different than inserting and racking so keep that hand closer to your body as it's smoother all the way through.
Makes absolute sense! And thank you - if you haven't gotten back to me, I would have not realized it and have made a note of it,

Quote:
Regardless - I will need to make adjustments to my movements so there is no absolute doubt. I am thinking to keep my support hand closer to my body especially when stripping the magazine (instead of just throwing it out).

Quote:
as for muzzling, in its true definition it would require your hand to be forward of the muzzle but any time you get used to having it so close to the front sight, in a high stress situation, it's not too far from being in a danger zone so I try to be very aware of where that hand is at all times.
Remember, the point of dry practice is to be perfect which is why I'm critiquing so much.
Absolutely!!!

Quote:
hope that helps.
It definitely helps and I will make more adjustments and be more mindful! Again, thank you!

_
Old 04-03-2020, 4:48 PM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1834 View Post
Nice presentation! Like Jedi54 stated a little higher gun and you will probably shave some time.
Quote:
That's what you want.

I cannot stop thinking about it. Since I already signed-off work, I re-visited Brad Ackman's dry practice video (he has his 1911 up high)...

I then took out my G34. Pointing in a safe direction, verified it is clear, proceed to dry practice up until the 3-racks. I consciously kept in mind:
  • Higher up in the workspace just like doing a speed reload.
  • Support hand closer to the body
  • Stripping the magazine doesn't mean extending my arm out to throw it.

Yeah, even it's a bit awkward (am not used to it, yet) - it definitely feels more precise, faster, smoother, and most probably safer. Like as you gentlemen have said - it is no different than loading the magazine and doing a rack.

I will try again in my regular session tomorrow morning with a belt, and check myself up until the reload and point/assess.

Thank you!!!

_
Old 04-04-2020, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Holy smokes guys. I know itís a little off topic, but on the latest email from Dr P, thereís a vid showing how they make masks in India? Horrible.

Anyways, returning you to your regularly scheduled programming.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-04-2020, 11:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Holy smokes guys. I know itís a little off topic, but on the latest email from Dr P, thereís a vid showing how they make masks in India? Horrible.

Anyways, returning you to your regularly scheduled programming.
Link for those of us who have escaped the marketing emails?!?
Old 04-05-2020, 6:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15fan View Post
Link for those of us who have escaped the marketing emails?!?

Sorry, here you go. Found it on YT.

https://youtu.be/--pwI4E9tsk
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 04-05-2020, 6:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Sorry, here you go. Found it on YT.

https://youtu.be/--pwI4E9tsk
Could you please post Dr. Piazzaís comments here?

Been wearing those 8 hours a day at work. Yuck!

(Anyone here reading allesenogwatís posts on India on AKFiles?)

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 04-05-2020, 7:10 AM

Anyone take advantage of the AXIL extreme ear plug special which was in the NRA magazine. They are setup at FS. Now, I am getting bombarded with emails almost like the Dr taught how to do it. Got so pissed I cancel the order.
Old 04-05-2020, 7:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Anyone take advantage of the AXIL extreme ear plug special which was in the NRA magazine. They are setup at FS. Now, I am getting bombarded with emails almost like the Dr taught how to do it. Got so pissed I cancel the order.
Axilís custom ear pros didnít work well for me. I tried them for a rifle class and my ears immediately rang and I had to leave the line to put my MSA muffs back on. The seal felt good but still a lot of noise coming through. Maybe a lot of sound transmission through the mastoid. Others wearing them in class didnít have any issues though.

Not bragging, but my hearing was still perfect when they tested me during the fitting process.

Barely helped my wife in handgun also, so she went back to her Peltor earmuffs.

They were very nice to give us a full refund though. Iím glad we tried them.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 04-05-2020, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I jumped on the Axil GE Extreme offer for Bluetooth earbud lanyard:

https://www.goaxil.com/shop/all-in-o...ds/gs-extreme/

The intro price of $119 and the desire to get rid of the bulky head muffs made the sale for me.

However, if it had come from Dr. P, I probably would have passed

BTW, I also have the AXIL ear muffs that I tripped across direct from their Utah office. I ran them this past December at FS in a 4 Day DHG course and they worked great - even in buckets of rain!

ARFrog
Old 04-05-2020, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

I have taken advantage of a few of their deals. Problem with them is they are slow to ship. Support is great at front site but some of their earlier products the quality in the product wasnít there. Example being the wires would pull out of the controls. This was not from abuse but poor design and QC.
I am still waiting on my four pack of ear muffs.
I did jump on their deal about 4 months ago and upgraded to the cheaper heating aid style and they work really well. Burn through batteries but not stupid wires to deal with.
Old 04-05-2020, 9:47 AM

I tried there custom made plugs and one fit perfectly and the other didn't. They wanted me to send them back but I went for the refund. Figured I give these a try but to much hype in the emails. I'll stick with my MSA's - they are made about hour from where I live. Any time I have a problem (only once) I can get one day service.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:12 AM

Default Front Sight Members Check In Here!

I tried the AXIL basic pair last time I was at FS. They were bad, really bad.
I got the Peltor TEP-100 and ever looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Front Sight Commander member.
NRA Life Member
Old 04-05-2020, 11:47 AM

I have both the GS Digital 1 (originally sport ear) and the GS Electronic (originally ghost stryke). The Digital 1 work really well on a hearing aid battery. However, the are only good for about a day. So you need to replace the battery every day you shoot. The GS electronic are rechargeable. Not sure how long they last since I recharge them every time I use team. Since they are not custom, they can end up getting sore after about 5 hours. The noise reduction is good, but really depends on the seal of the bud in your ear. If tight, they work great, if not, then sounds leak in. I have not had an issue with the sound, but could see it happen if they are not tight.

I have seen the offers for the new version with the cable going back behind the ear. Looks good, but I am not in need so going to pass.

Never had any issue with quality or shipping time on my purchase. If you to the site directly to purchase, before you do, try and exit before you finalize the purchase. They will offer another coupon code (like 10 or 15%) discount. Take the code and then complete the purchase.
Old 04-05-2020, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFrog View Post
Yeah, I jumped on the Axil GE Extreme offer for Bluetooth earbud lanyard:

https://www.goaxil.com/shop/all-in-o...ds/gs-extreme/

The intro price of $119 and the desire to get rid of the bulky head muffs made the sale for me.

However, if it had come from Dr. P, I probably would have passed

BTW, I also have the AXIL ear muffs that I tripped across direct from their Utah office. I ran them this past December at FS in a 4 Day DHG course and they worked great - even in buckets of rain!
Forgot to mention, in December while at a 4DHG class I stopped by the Axil counter in the FS store and the head muffs they were selling were older stock version than one could buy direct. Not sure what's up with that.

ARFrog
Old 04-06-2020, 6:16 PM

Just singed up for to more classes. Going to be doing two classes back to back in October. Tactical Shotgun class on 10/19 and take the 4-day Defensive Handgun class again on 10/22.