Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 03-05-2020, 5:33 PM

Default Officer Safety & holster issues

To all my LEO friends out there. I just received this video and information. Here is a link to the article with video.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...olice-shooting

Just some good info on the importance of good gear. The Officer's entire holster containing the secured firearm was removed from the Safariland belt mount. In this article or another one it talked about the Officer used a "G-Code" quick detachment. Meaning the Holster can be removed from the Safariland belt mount (So the holster can be used on a different platform and not need to be removed from the Sam Brown).

Video looked very similar to this item from G Cod
https://www.tacticalholsters.com/pro...a25-rti-wheel/

I know that I use the Safariland QLS (Quick locking system) for my setup and for work.

I just wanted to share the info to any fellow LEO's out there.
Old 03-05-2020, 6:49 PM

Default Gun take away

Thanks for sharing, this is actually easier to detach than the Safariland system. It won't be long before the gangsters start trianing for this ........ homey likely to be totally wacked out....... to lose a life over an open container? Lucky the partner was there to save the day!
Old 03-05-2020, 6:52 PM

I like the extra strong qls. I have the basic one on another setup and the ramping clip on the extra safariland qls makes it seem safer to me. I forgot the model number. I dont think gcode will be able to survive the liability.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2020, 6:57 PM

QLS 22L has the extra tabs on the female side of the system. Make sure you get those.

I’ve always been very happy with the QLS. Simple, yet effective. Everyone is probably going to be ditching their G-codes real soon.
Old 03-05-2020, 8:50 PM

Happy to share. I know I use the QLS where you have to squeeze the tabs on the bottom then pull the holster up out of the attachment.

I have family with a County Department that has witnessed inmates practicing how to conduct maneuvers to remove guns from holsters.

I have always used a level 3 with the thumb hood.

I was very surprise to see how easy it was to remove that G code attachment. Didn’t seem like a very big struggle and the suspect pulling on the holster.

Not sure if the screws broke or it just detached as a normal maneuver.
Old 03-06-2020, 9:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yep that is a G-Code RTI setup...looks like all three screws/brass inserts were pulled out of the plastic RTI disc. The Safariland belt loop is still intact and the brass is seen in place so still held in place by the belt loop screws.
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.

Last edited by 1911su16b870; 03-06-2020 at 9:32 AM..
Old 03-06-2020, 9:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Looks like the brass inserts in the RTI were pulled out of the plastic.

"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.
Old 03-06-2020, 4:51 PM

Thanks TK!
Old 03-06-2020, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
QLS 22L has the extra tabs on the female side of the system. Make sure you get those.
I have one of these with the extra tabs, but not on my duty belt (I have the Safariland QLS and a Level 3 holster). I will go find it and change it out to my duty belt, as it takes a bit more effort than the standard QLS to release. I always thought of it as a pain, but I can now see how the extra retention could be worth it.

Thanks for posting.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:49 PM

Thanks for sharing. Good info. Maybe I'm too "old school" but can someone explain to me what is the advantage of having something like the QLS? (Serious question).
Old 03-07-2020, 12:08 AM
Calguns Addict

People outside of cops and criminals have no idea how much of a disadvantage an officers duty belt is during a fight.
Old 03-07-2020, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellslinger View Post
Thanks for sharing. Good info. Maybe I'm too "old school" but can someone explain to me what is the advantage of having something like the QLS? (Serious question).
For me, it was to be able to switch my duty gun and holster to my battle belt at home. It also sets your gun an extra 1/2” to 3/4” off your body.
Old 03-07-2020, 7:51 AM

When you need to secure your handgun (going to the jail, putting it in a locker, etc.) you can leave it in the holster, but easily remove it from your duty belt.
Old 03-07-2020, 8:13 AM

Guys...educate an old dog please...what is the advantage of a laminate holster over a leather holster?
Old 03-07-2020, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo rules View Post
Guys...educate an old dog please...what is the advantage of a laminate holster over a leather holster?
I believe a quicker draw and you can use the level 2 and level 3 retention bolsters and levers. I dont know anything about clamshell holsters or thumb snaps. I still see about a dozen people i work with who use leather thumb snap high holsters that use USP 45 or 92F guns.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2020, 9:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumba View Post
easily remove it from your duty belt.
That's the problem, it appears they can too.

Remember the Blackhawk Serpa ?
Old 03-07-2020, 10:10 AM

The old school way with the leather holster added some retention of adding a maneuver to remove your handgun. Some that I have seen was you had to apply a downward pressure to the gun and then pull the gun backwards and that would then release the gun from retention. Another on was having to perform a rocking motion with the gun, that would then break retention and allow the person to unholster the gun.

The laminate holsters or newer model safariland holsters are more of a plastic feel. They are lighter and do not need to be shined. It will have a basket weave appearance, but is not leather. Holds up better to the Enviromental factors and is the new technology. These holsters also allow different types of retention from a thumb release to a hood/thumb release and even a lock that has to be disengaged prior to the retention being engaged.

The new safariland equipment is great in my opinion. The issue with this video was the use of two separate companies. Safariland holster and attachment point of belt then the quick disconnect by G code. The G code quick disconnect is what failed and allowed the suspect to remove the officer’s entire holster and refined firearm.

Not sure if it would have happened if everything was safariland or not. I am sure people will be testing their gear now, I know I will be!!!
Old 03-07-2020, 7:07 PM
Veteran Member

While I get the appeal of these variety of holsters.. I have never found the risk of a possible scenario such as in the OP to be worth more than just buying a duplicate holster if I wanted the exact same holster on two different pieces of kit.

I’m not saying quick detach holsters are all less secure than something like a standard Safariland duty holster; I just didn’t care to spend the time to research it all out. My life (potentially) and my time are worth more than a little bit of cash.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 03-10-2020, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumba View Post
When you need to secure your handgun (going to the jail, putting it in a locker, etc.) you can leave it in the holster, but easily remove it from your duty belt.
They tend to just wear better and are/can be lighter. When I started in 97 we could only use level 1 leather holsters. Some who were 'grandfathered' in could use level 2 or level 3 holsters (these typically had another snap retention and/or you needed to cant the firearm on the draw).

As time has gone by, more agencies are recommending/buying patrol style/tactical style Kydex holsters as they wear longer and better, while being lighter.

This newest trend of detachable holsters is just a gimic and personally I think it is a horrible integration into your gear. I know holsters can get expensive and buying more than one or two begins to be a pain. However, spend the extra money and buy another stand-alone holster for your 'battle belt' or tac gear.

This G code retention system is a joke. I saw the actual set-up that was involved in this incident and there is very little holster to belt retention. Three simple screws used to slide into the base with a button that 'locks' around the screw heads. The lock only goes over the bottom of the three screw heads and not all three screw heads.

If you look at the G Code mount.. there are three possible screw holes (only two upper screws but you can cant the holster into 2 of the 3) and one screw hole below. You can see in the image the 'lock' is only on the bottom -single- hole. So, your holster and gun are ONLY retained via lock with the 1 screw head. That's absolutely nuts!

Pony out the extra money and buy the extra holsters. Forget the nonsense of 'detachable' holsters.
Old 03-10-2020, 7:40 PM

Sucks when Safariland took 8 months to get my secondary holster.
Old 03-10-2020, 8:07 PM

That's crazy, I just stuck with the qls on my level 3 holster.