Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:52 AM
Pitbull Apologist
CGN Contributor

Default CVC. Regarding Motorcycle Turn Signals

LEO's, I'm trying to find the code that requires (or not) motorcycles to have the turn signals (amber in color, front and/or rear) constantly running while operational.

I'm changing out my factory turn signals (front) and lost the running light wire connection. The good news, is the turn signal is operational, which I know is the law.

Just trying to stay compliant.

TIA!!

I'm looking at Title 13, Division 2, Chapter 2...but not getting what I'm looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT762 View Post
Can I bring my Donkey? He loves Chunky Monkey.
Old 02-24-2020, 1:05 PM

It’s 24951 VC, and bikes made after 1973 needs signals.

Check California Code of Regulations 669 for more requirements. The rear signals must be 9” apart and the front must be 16” apart.

Last edited by GizmoSD; 02-24-2020 at 1:07 PM..
Old 02-24-2020, 1:13 PM
Veteran Member

Unless things have changed, there's no law that says they have to be on when not blinking. However, you're nuts if you disable that function. Motorcyclists need all the visibility they can get.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 02-24-2020, 2:50 PM

I’m an idiot. I re-read your post and I think I get it now. There’s no requirement they remain operable as running lights, at least one that I’m aware of. They just need to be operable as turn signals.

However, I agree that the more light on a motorcycle, the better. I bought LED bulbs for the front signals on my Harley as well as clear lenses. The LED lights are white when running lights, and yellow as turn signals. They’re great.

Last edited by GizmoSD; 02-24-2020 at 6:07 PM.. Reason: I’m mildly retarded.
Old 02-26-2020, 1:38 PM
Pitbull Apologist
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoSD View Post
I’m an idiot. I re-read your post and I think I get it now. There’s no requirement they remain operable as running lights, at least one that I’m aware of. They just need to be operable as turn signals.

However, I agree that the more light on a motorcycle, the better. I bought LED bulbs for the front signals on my Harley as well as clear lenses. The LED lights are white when running lights, and yellow as turn signals. They’re great.
Thank you. Wasn't going to correct you, it's good information none-the-less

I just bought some relays to keep them running and flash when the turn signal is actuated.

Agree with more visibility the better
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT762 View Post
Can I bring my Donkey? He loves Chunky Monkey.