Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 02-13-2019, 6:49 AM

Default The wheels of repair

turn slowly... OK, maybe not the best title for this post, but it's early...

Way back in 2016 Remington had a campaign to replace the trigger groups on certain models of 700's built between certain years. Although I have several apparently only one qualified, and had the Walker Trigger group they wanted to replace with their 'Pro' group. So last night I get this email saying my turn has come up to have it replaced, and the option of sending it back to their factory repair in North Carolina, or taking it to an authorized repair station. Since the ARS is very close I'm gonna opt for the later. They're even sending a shipping box and told me to keep it if I don't need it. I just thought it was interesting that I get this notice that I'd completely forgot about, 2 1/2 years later.... :-) Anyone in the Sacto area get one??

PS: Cr@p!! Now I'm confused.. Another 4 emails hit the in box. And.... when I first filled out the claim there was an identifying feature on the correct trigger group to make sure they needed to be replaced. Something about the face of the trigger. Smooth or etched?? If I remember correctly all of my 700's were OK. So now they're sending me 5 boxes that I don't want or need... No wonder they filed for bankruptcy....

Last edited by condor; 02-13-2019 at 8:26 AM..
Old 02-13-2019, 8:16 AM

Was this the X-Mark recall, or the one prior to that (I think I heard about a recall of earlier triggers)? My R700 had a post-recall X-Mark trigger when I bought it in 2015. It's been replaced with a Timney, and more recently a Jewell.

BTW, the post title got me to look... :-)
Old 02-13-2019, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingin View Post
Was this the X-Mark recall, or the one prior to that (I think I heard about a recall of earlier triggers)? My R700 had a post-recall X-Mark trigger when I bought it in 2015. It's been replaced with a Timney, and more recently a Jewell.

BTW, the post title got me to look... :-)
I have no idea which recall I originally got involved with, but apparently it was the result of a lawsuit, and then an appeal. That's why it took so long. I looked at one Youtube from an owner who it happened to when he took the gun off safety and it fired while deer hunting. It didn't happen again until a year later on another hunt. So he let his gun sit in the garage.. 10deg.. for three days and he did get it to malfunction on video... once. So it seems to be temp related. And since Rem lost the suit and the appeal I guess they're replacing all triggers???
Old 02-13-2019, 9:49 AM
Veteran Member

I have a Remington 700 in 300 BLK that was recalled due to the trigger. I sent it in and after several months I got the rifle back absolutely filthy. I’m talking it was covered in all kinds of grit and grime. First thing I did was give it a complete tear down to clean. That poor rifle must have been sitting exposed in a shop environment where there was grinding and dusty conditions. I took it out to the range and the first time I tested the safety it fired when the safety was moved off. After that I got a Timney and threw the POS Remington trigger in the trash.

Last edited by Gowking; 02-13-2019 at 9:51 AM..
Old 02-13-2019, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowking View Post
I have a Remington 700 in 300 BLK that was recalled due to the trigger. I sent it in and after several months I got the rifle back absolutely filthy. I’m talking it was covered in all kinds of grit and grime. First thing I did was give it a complete tear down to clean. That poor rifle must have been sitting exposed in a shop environment where there was grinding and dusty conditions. I took it out to the range and the first time I tested the safety it fired when the safety was moved off. After that I got a Timney and threw the POS Remington trigger in the trash.
That may be the direction I'll go in as well. I bet biz has been booming for Rem 700 Timneys.... As far as sending it to the factory it's a no go. The authorized is about 20 miles from me and I talked to them this morning. Don't have to take anything off. Just give them the gun and work order. The instructions, if shipping to the factory, include stripping the entire gun down to stock/receiver/barrel. Nope....
Old 02-26-2019, 5:02 PM

Yeah, I got the same two emails....not very clear except to say they would/will be replacing my entire receiver with an new serial number. No mention of how they plan to dros the gun afterwords. These dummies at Rem might just try to send "new" rifles to unsuspecting CA residence. The whole thing is just awesome.
Old 02-26-2019, 5:06 PM
Veteran Member

What a shame, I have a late 60s Remington 700 that has a beautiful trigger and is fully adjustable. My how the mighty have fallen.
Old 02-27-2019, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasanelson View Post
Yeah, I got the same two emails....not very clear except to say they would/will be replacing my entire receiver with an new serial number. No mention of how they plan to dros the gun afterwords. These dummies at Rem might just try to send "new" rifles to unsuspecting CA residence. The whole thing is just awesome.
If you registered them online a few years back, it was for trigger group replacement...if you had one that actually needed replacing. If I remember correctly the go or no go had something to do with the face of the trigger being smooth or grooved. At the time I think all mine were the no-go's and figured I was OK. Apparently not?? I also thought they were just going to replace the trigger group. It must go deeper than that for a receiver to be replaced. My email and attached work order's didn't mention anything about receiver replacement... Maybe your's is for another issue??

On the DROS. I sent a Model 7 back to the factory about 5 years ago for a new bolt, and they replaced the intire action/barrel with new, and with a new serial number. It was returned to my physical address. I never gave it a thought, but made a note of the old and the new in my log. You've got me thinking, and maybe need to do some more checking?? Looks like a question for the FFL Forum.... See what the guys think??
Old 02-27-2019, 10:51 AM

I got as far as having Remington send me the "Boxes". Over the years, I have gotten to know the UPS driver that comes to my house. Not that I was seriously considering sending well over $3000.00 worth of firearms off in Cheesy Cardboard Boxes, but when he tells me its not a great idea..... The fact that the repairs had no realistic time frame, and that one of the rifles in question would have had to be stripped down to send it back, was the end of the conversation for me. As a side note....I realize the boxes that Remington sent, are very close to what the original boxes the rifles are shipped in from the factory are. The difference being when they come from the factory, I'm sure they are not shipped to a distributor as random 4ft long boxes. And as the UPS man pointed out....a blind man could figure out a gun was in that box. So in the event I ever find I do need a trigger, I will just buy a new one.
Old 02-27-2019, 2:55 PM
Calguns Addict

It's not verys hard to strip a 700 and once the carrier has the package who is going to see it?
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 02-28-2019, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by langss View Post
I got as far as having Remington send me the "Boxes". Over the years, I have gotten to know the UPS driver that comes to my house. Not that I was seriously considering sending well over $3000.00 worth of firearms off in Cheesy Cardboard Boxes, but when he tells me its not a great idea..... .
They also give you the option of taking the gun directly to a local authorized repair station. Mine is convenient so that's where they are going. They also don't require any stripping of the rifle. Talked to them and they'll even take them with scopes mounted.... Works for me....
Old 02-28-2019, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
They also give you the option of taking the gun directly to a local authorized repair station. Mine is convenient so that's where they are going. They also don't require any stripping of the rifle. Talked to them and they'll even take them with scopes mounted.... Works for me....
That is Today, for you. My option has long passed. The option to take the guns somewhere was not available to me. My decision to not ship them, was also based on a previous "Bad" experience shipping my XP100 back to Remington for warranty recall. I came home from work and found a non descript box laying in a flower bed. I had no idea it was being returned, and I never got anything from Remington telling me what they did or any followup on their part. And all of that was after having UPS give me grief just trying to ship the gun in the first place. I'm glad its working out for you, but as I said in my original post, if I need a trigger, I can afford to buy one.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:50 AM

My son has a 700 that was subject to the recall. We just put a Timney trigger on it instead.

As Will Rogers once said:
"Everyone is ignorant, only in different subjects."
Old 03-01-2019, 1:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm not worried about the trigger- not replacing them. If I do replace them, jewel or other trigger

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)