Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:57 AM

Default CFLC Question

I just received a firearm in the mail that was a Gubroker sale to one of my regular clients. I knew it was coming but I didn't know it was a private seller. The seller had it shipped to me via his local FFL. I will accept firearms from non-licensees but he didn't ask to do that.

If the FFL was the seller, he would need to do the CFLC check and give me the number. A private party shipping me a firearm doesn't need the CFLC.

Does the fact the seller shipped it through a FFL mean that FFL needs to get the CFAR release before shipping?

Normally, I need to get a copy of the FFL and a CFLC number when I get a firearm from a FFL. When its a private party I just need a copy of his ID. I have a copy of the shipper's FFL, but no seller ID and no CFLC.

Which one should I be asking for? I think I need the CFLC but it would certainly be easier if all I needed was the seller's ID.

I did give the FFL my CFD number and asked if he needed any help getting the DOJ pre-authorization. I never heard back - just got the firearm in the mail.
Old 08-27-2019, 1:05 PM

If it ships from a FFL you need a CFLC or return it.
Old 08-27-2019, 4:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONECUTTER View Post
If it ships from a FFL you need a CFLC or return it.
This.

Another option is to turn it over to the police, but to keep it, you need the CFLC.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 08-28-2019, 6:38 AM

Could I ship it to an out of state FFL (alphacat in AZ), have him do the CFLC and then ship it back to me? Or does it have to go back to the same FFL who sent it to me? My client is willing to cover the extra expense.
Old 08-28-2019, 7:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Why are you unable to just get the CFLC from the dude who shipped it to you?
Gun transfers 10am-5pm 7 days a week!
We are an NFA firearms dealer!

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!
Tons of new handguns! New Aero Receivers in stock soon!
Old 08-28-2019, 8:21 AM

Great question! I'm trying.

So far the only response I've got is "I'm a FFL in XX state and I don't need to do anything like that". I explained why they should do it, that I have to ship it back if they don't do it, and I sent them an EZ instruction sheet and offered to talk them through it. I have not got a response yet.

I hope they come through, my client was actually the one who suggested the AZ route as a contingency.

I'm guessing they think its a complicated process that will gobble up all kinds of uncompensated time, but IDK... So far the communication has all been via email. If I don't get a response I'll follow up with a phone call later today.
Old 08-28-2019, 9:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I am not sure if you can ship it to someone else as it looks like you did a transfer, not just returning it because there was no CFLC, then it comes back from the other FFL.

One thing to tell them is that if you don't get pre-paid return shipping, that you will turn it over to the police and they can deal with it, as well the buyer will contest the credit card charges (if that is how they paid), so they will end up out the gun and the money, but that you really want to avoid this and will help them generate the CFLC.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 08-28-2019, 10:46 AM

The sending FFL came through. They enrolled and sent me the letter so it all worked out. I always ask if they need help with the process when I send them my license and CFD number but I think in the future I'm going to be more explicit. "If you have never shipped a firearm to a CA FFL, please call me before doing so." or something like that.

"... the buyer will contest the credit card charges (if that is how they paid)"

That's something to keep in mind when making GB purchases. Credit cards typically cost the buyer 3% but they do provide recourse if situations like these don't work out.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yeah, glad it worked out. I had an old timer FFL once not want to do it as he was very ignorant when it comes to the interwebs, he tried and couldn't figure it out. I literally enrolled him in it and got my CFLC with him on the phone and then gave him his login info. I would say its about 1/6 guns we get that are missing the CFLC even though we ask for it up front with the usual "if this is your first time shipping to CA please call us BEFORE you send the firearm...blah blah blah" We get guns without the CFLC from usual vendors all the time, Classic, Atlantic, Sportsmans Guide, sometimes they just forget that its going to CA and don't do it. Its usually an email or phone call that gets the job done.

Note: We had to wait one time for 2 months for one where the shipping FFL was a table top in SC and only sold a couple guns on GB, since he had no active listings he never checked his emails and we did not have a phone number for the dude. I had to google earth his address and it was some random place. We finally got around to getting it, and the customer was pissed, not at us, but him for never replying.

Also we had one where the shipping FFL was in CA, he refused at first to do it. I had to call our field rep at DOJ and get her involved. Turned out the dude relinquished his CFD so his FFL wasn't valid and he even went so far as to send us a photoshopped CFLC that wasn't valid. I posted about this here in the sub forum a while back. DOJ sent a rep to his house (address on his FFL) and needless to say he was in a little trouble. It took about 2 weeks before our customer could DROS his gun.

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!

Last edited by acespawnshop; 08-28-2019 at 12:22 PM..
Old 08-28-2019, 2:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You say you didn't have a phone number for the FFL, did you look in the FFL database?

Old 08-28-2019, 3:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We didn't have a phone number that was being answered.

Old 08-28-2019, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardo1895 View Post
response I've got is "I'm a FFL in XX state and I don't need to do anything like that". I explained why they should do it, that I have to ship it back if they don't do it
Your way nicer then me as I get these fairly often.

1. To the shipping dealer: If you want to ship and sell to CA you must follow all laws, not just your state unless you want to be reported to the appropriate Law Enforcement Agency.

2. There is no should, They need to follow the law.

3. There is no I have to ship it back. The dealer can follow the law or send me a return label. If they don't the firearm will be turned into the local PD and good luck trying to get it back because they are too lazy to spend 5 minutes on the CFLC website.
Old 08-28-2019, 7:38 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I also have always been successful with the, "Look, California did this on purpose so you wouldn't ship guns to California. Now I got a God fearing, gun toting, red blooded American here that is stuck behind enemy lines that wants to buy a gun from you. The liberals do not want you to sell a gun to him. Now are you going to do what the liberals want or are you going to piss off a liberal today and do the opposite? Arm a conservative American behind enemy lines and piss off a liberal today." Everyone I have tried this on it has worked. They do not like the idea of helping the libs.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 09-17-2019, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
I also have always been successful with the, "Look, California did this on purpose so you wouldn't ship guns to California. Now I got a God fearing, gun toting, red blooded American here that is stuck behind enemy lines that wants to buy a gun from you. The liberals do not want you to sell a gun to him. Now are you going to do what the liberals want or are you going to piss off a liberal today and do the opposite? Arm a conservative American behind enemy lines and piss off a liberal today." Everyone I have tried this on it has worked. They do not like the idea of helping the libs.
LOL. Maybe we should try this approach with all the Gunbroker sellers who will not ship to CA.

Plus with the current thinking in the country "California Gun Laws, coming to a state near you!"