Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 01-07-2018, 9:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
Can't work if the OP is a California resident. Would be an illegal federal transfer.

Otherwise, there would be no reason for anyone doing an inter-state intrafamilial transfer to use an FFL.
Thanks. I knew there would be some hitch.
Old 01-07-2018, 9:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
Federal law requires that a transfer of a firearm between residents of two different states go through a FFL in the state of the transferee. It is not a CA issue, but a Federal issue. It has nothing to do with where the firearm is transferred, just that the parties are residents of different states.
Thanks. Wasn't thinking about the different state issue. The memory is the second thing that goes. Cant remember the first.
Fed doesn't have any language regarding intimate family members like Father and Son?
Old 01-07-2018, 9:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendog4570 View Post
Cant remember the first.
Fed doesn't have any language regarding intimate family members like Father and Son?
No family exemptions under Federal law.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-07-2018, 11:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
No family exemptions under Federal law.
One exemption does exist but itís only in regards to a transfer after a death and the person was specifically named as the heir of the firearms.

However, this really isnít on topic for the OP
Old 01-07-2018, 12:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

But that is not limited to family, so it is not a family exemption.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-08-2018, 8:23 AM

yea the problem I'm having is finding an FFL close enough to me that understands and can do it because everyone I've talked to so far just tells me to fill out the BOF 4544A and submit the fee. Even an old sheriff in Hanford told me "just submit the form and the worse thing they can do is send you a denial letter otherwise you're good to go". I know it has to go through an FFL since its father to son in two different states Im just having no luck with anyone near me who can do it lol. Thank you all for your insight as well.
Old 01-08-2018, 2:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroguy10 View Post
yea the problem I'm having is finding an FFL close enough to me that understands and can do it because everyone I've talked to so far just tells me to fill out the BOF 4544A and submit the fee. Even an old sheriff in Hanford told me "just submit the form and the worse thing they can do is send you a denial letter otherwise you're good to go". I know it has to go through an FFL since its father to son in two different states Im just having no luck with anyone near me who can do it lol. Thank you all for your insight as well.
It might help if you mentioned where you are located.

The sheriff is wrong since the Feds could arrest you, which is worse than a denial.

Old 01-08-2018, 7:21 PM

in in Visalia, CA. Central Valley
Old 01-15-2018, 9:46 AM

My son is trying to gift me his off-roster Glock minus the three standard magazines from the great state of Texas via interstate intrafamiliar transfer. I have found a local FFL here in California who will receive the Glock from either him or a Texas FFL. We cannot find a Texas FFL who is willing to do this legal transfer. They do not want to "jump through all the hoops". Cabelas said they could legally do it but it is store policy to not do it. A couple other businesses there said no as well due to the "hoops". He will now have to spend the $91 to ship priority overnight via FedEx.

My post-mild rant comment is...do out of state FFL's have an aversion to dealing with California because of the anti-gun political climate? Or did we just run into a string of bad luck with Waco area FFL's?
Old 01-15-2018, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

BubbaCluck,

Ask the CA FFL you are using if they will accept the gun if sent directly to it by your Son in TX. Some will and some won't. It is a matter of the FFL's policy and not of law. If they will, your son can save money by sending it with these guys. https://www.shipmygun.com/go/
Old 01-15-2018, 11:00 AM

My FFL said he would accept direct shipment but my son's only option to send it himself is via FedEx or UPS and for $91. USPS will not ship for him. I understand that only an FFL can ship via Post Office which would be cheaper. I will look into shipmygun.com. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-15-2018, 3:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You might remind them by refusing to ship the firearm that they are doing exactly what the anti-gun people want. If they need help, that can be done. It is easy and fast, although it is annoying.

Just remember every firearm they ship to CA annoys an anti-gun liberal.

Old 01-15-2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaCluck View Post
My FFL said he would accept direct shipment but my son's only option to send it himself is via FedEx or UPS and for $91. USPS will not ship for him. I understand that only an FFL can ship via Post Office which would be cheaper. I will look into shipmygun.com. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wheres this FFL at? lol i keep searching for one and they're all still telling me to just fill out the form since it doesn't state where my dad lives it'll be fine. I want to do it the right way but am still unsuccessful in finding a competent FFL
Old 01-15-2018, 6:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroguy10 View Post
Wheres this FFL at? lol i keep searching for one and they're all still telling me to just fill out the form since it doesn't state where my dad lives it'll be fine. I want to do it the right way but am still unsuccessful in finding a competent FFL
The easier question is where are you at, then it would be possible to direct you to a FFL which knows the laws and how to do it.

Old 01-15-2018, 8:26 PM

Quote:
The easier question is where are you at, then it would be possible to direct you to a FFL which knows the laws and how to do it.
Im in the Central Valley (Visalia to be exact). Ill travel if i can just get this done because Im having a hard time with it and want to get it over with legally.
Old 01-15-2018, 8:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Check with 10 percent firearms. We do it, but 10 percent I'm going to guess is closer to you.
web: http://ugimports.com/calguns / email: sales@ugimports.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/ugimports / phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)
FB: http://facebook.com/ugimports
NorCal Range Maps: http://ugimports.com/rangemaps

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!
Old 01-18-2018, 10:39 AM

Apparently FedEx has the ability and the discretion to ship a legal handgun to an FFL via 2-day express and not solely overnight priority. This was a surprise to me! They knew it was a handgun. This would be a FedEx internal issue and not a violation of any Federal laws, I hope?
Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaCluck View Post
Apparently FedEx has the ability and the discretion to ship a legal handgun to an FFL via 2-day express and not solely overnight priority. This was a surprise to me! They knew it was a handgun.

This would be a FedEx internal issue and not a violation of any Federal laws, I hope?
Yes. Feds don't care how the gun gets to an FFL.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrookís ďLaw of DoomsayingĒ: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away ó soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-18-2018, 2:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

UPS changed their policy regarding shipping of firearms just before they went public, which helped their income. They said that it was not due to a theft problems, but required handguns to be shipped overnight. FedEx followed suit since they also like money and did not have the sense to realize that they could have cornered the handgun shipping market if they had not changed. Since it is policy, they can allow contracts to change the policy.

As said, it is not law and it is much cheaper for FFLs to ship USPS.

Old 01-18-2018, 3:51 PM

I am glad this thread is still open, just got back from a local gun shop and was talking about this very subject off roster hand gun gift from daughter to me. I am pretty sure I know the law but what he did was hand me A form 4544A Report of Operation of Law or or Intra-Familial Firearm Transaction and said make sure you have a ten round mag fill out the paper work with $19 and when it comes back she could send the gun to me no way this is right.
Old 01-18-2018, 3:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmy255 View Post
I am glad this thread is still open, just got back from a local gun shop and was talking about this very subject off roster hand gun gift from daughter to me. I am pretty sure I know the law but what he did was hand me A form 4544A Report of Operation of Law or or Intra-Familial Firearm Transaction and said make sure you have a ten round mag fill out the paper work with $19 and when it comes back she could send the gun to me no way this is right.
It all depends if she is a CA resident or not.
Old 01-18-2018, 4:21 PM

No she is from Oregon and that is what I told the guy behind the counter. I was just reading all the posts and I think post #32 answered it, no it does not work that way.
Old 01-18-2018, 5:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Federal law requires the transfer of residents between two different states go through a FFL in the state of the recipient.

Old 01-18-2018, 6:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmy255 View Post
No she is from Oregon and that is what I told the guy behind the counter. I was just reading all the posts and I think post #32 answered it, no it does not work that way.
Quote:
Federal law requires the transfer of residents between two different states go through a FFL in the state of the recipient.
Kemasa is correct and since itís from your daughter you can DROS in CA that off roster handgun.

Filling out the form and paying $19 is no bueno for an out of state transfer in any case except for willed firearms in the event of a death.
Old 01-18-2018, 7:36 PM

That is want I thought that young salesman is giving wrong information, I told him look it up on CALGUNS.NET he did not know what I was talking about this is the best site on the web for Ca, related firearms and probably any other thanks guys.
Old 01-20-2018, 1:49 PM

Thanks to everybody that's contributed, this thread is really helpful. Anybody know of other locations in the Central Valley (Bakersfield/Tulare/Visalia/Fresno/Madera/Merced/Stockton) that have experience doing these? I checked Ten Percent Firearms website (per ugimports suggestion) and based on their brief description of services it seems they can do them. Would be helpful to have a list of known FFL's that are okay with doing this.
Old 01-23-2018, 7:00 PM

Does any one know a FFL in Northern CA that knows that does this?
Old 01-23-2018, 7:05 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdirtbikin View Post
Does any one know a FFL in Northern CA that knows that does this?
Be more specific. We're in Northern California but I don't think Fremont is what you are referring to.

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!
Old 01-23-2018, 7:17 PM

Ugimports. Upper Sacramento Valley.
Old 01-23-2018, 8:04 PM

What if I’m visiting my son who is out of state? Can I driving the gifted off roster gun with the needed notarized paper work to an FFL?
Old 01-23-2018, 8:13 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-E View Post
What if Iím visiting my son who is out of state? Can I driving the gifted off roster gun with the needed notarized paper work to an FFL?
No.

What needed notarized paperwork are you referring to?

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!
Old 01-23-2018, 8:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
What if Iím visiting my son who is out of state? Can I driving the gifted off roster gun with the needed notarized paper work to an FFL?
No. That would be an illegal transfer
Old 01-23-2018, 8:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugimports View Post
No.

What needed notarized paperwork are you referring to?
The one thatís not needed ever for any reason except perhaps estate stuff
Old 01-23-2018, 8:27 PM

Thanks... just needed to know. Thank you for all the great info everyone is putting.
Old 01-23-2018, 9:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
What if I’m visiting my son who is out of state? Can I driving the gifted off roster gun with the needed notarized paper work to an FFL?
Transfers between residents of different states are required to go through a FFL in the state of residence of the recipient due to Federal law.

Assuming that the FFL agrees, you (the out of state person) can bring the firearm to a CA FFL to do the transfer.

Last edited by kemasa; 02-11-2018 at 11:22 AM..
Old 02-02-2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acespawnshop View Post
I'm in socal we do these all the time.

Hi there.
My father lives on Nevada and he has a handgun that he wants to give me as a present for my birthday Iím a California resident can you guys do the transfer?

Thanks in advance....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2018, 10:53 AM

Hi there guys.

Anyone have any FFL recommendations closer to LA that knows how to handle this type of transfer?

And thanks again for all the information.

Old 02-03-2018, 9:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandoc32 View Post
Hi there.
My father lives on Nevada and he has a handgun that he wants to give me as a present for my birthday Iím a California resident can you guys do the transfer?

Thanks in advance....

Yes. See below for our contact info.
Gun transfers 10am-5pm 7 days a week!
We are an NFA firearms dealer!

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!
Tons of new handguns! New Aero Receivers in stock soon!
Old 02-09-2018, 7:31 PM

Searched and cant find the answer,

Son is Ca resident and adopted at birth
Adopted Mother is now deceased
Birth Mother lives in Texas and wants to gift off roster hand gun to son in Ca.

Im guessing not legal?
Old 02-10-2018, 1:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocket View Post
Searched and cant find the answer,

Son is Ca resident and adopted at birth
Adopted Mother is now deceased
Birth Mother lives in Texas and wants to gift off roster hand gun to son in Ca.

Im guessing not legal?
You might need to check with the CA DOJ or a firearms attorney, but it seems like it would be legal since she is the mother. Is she a parent? That could be a definition issue depending on her role as a parent. One issue would be proving that she is the mother.