Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-10-2019, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centralcoastguy View Post
Wearing my revolver now just cause I feel like it. With my guns I am becoming like a lady and her shoe collection!
They say the reason women like to collect shoes is that they are enduring and will always be there for them. If they gain a few pounds, they may not be able to get into their skinny jeans, but their shoes will still fit.

Similarly, your guns don't give a crap if you've packed on a few pounds. THey will always be there for you. So keep them all!

WTB: S&W CS9 - Chief's Special 9mm https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1554672
Old 09-11-2019, 1:33 AM

Quote:
I am going to keep the Shield and just have more options depending on weather, clothes, and maybe even just the vibe.

Wearing my revolver now just cause I feel like it. With my guns I am becoming like a lady and her shoe collection!
I wont comment on the shoe stuff but what the heck, wear whatever suits your fancy.

As for the double stack issue...I say again as always, go with what's comfortable in your hands. My three CCWs are a 19, 23 and 30. I love all three of them cause they fit my hands the best for being smaller guns.

Now I am not by all means a Glock fanboy, but as for EDC, these work best for me. I love the double stack 9mm for the G19 and the G30 which has double stack. 45acp and i get a 10+1 outta those and fit great in my hands.

Hope that helps...
Old 09-11-2019, 6:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
I have the Shield, 19, and 26 on my permit. The Shield conceals better than the latter two but I personally like the feel of the double stack grip that the Glock provides. Plus I can shoot it more accurately than the Shield. As someone else mentioned, your hand size plays a part. For me, I’m not nearly as big as you but I still like the Glocks grip to that of the Shield. For you, try the 19 as the 26 might be a tad too small and you’d have to deal with the pinky hanging out.
I would love to carry a Glock 34... doesn’t mean I can conceal it well. My g43 with 2+ extension has been the sweet spot for me.... but definitely harder to shoot at distance than a g26 or g19.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 09-11-2019, 6:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Serrata View Post

I do find double stacks generally fit my hand better but they also print on me.
OWB, Open carry or under a big jacket I don’t mind double stack, but since it’s always hot in Southern California I never were a jacket.
Do it’s single stacks for me.
I never liked the way the shield fit my hand either.
So I paid the California extortion tax by buying all off rosters.
Single stack Springfield XDS and Walther PPS fit my hands just fine.

OP, most of us went through a similar journey when trying to find the optimum carry pistol.

Large guns are generally easier to shoot and harder to conceal comfortably.

Single stack pistols like the Shield or the G43 are much easier to conceal, but can be a challenge for some to shoot comfortably.

Although I have carried double stack compacts like the G26 and G30 here in California, I find the single stacks are much easier to carry and conceal.

With several different pistols on my CCW list, I can carry whatever the weather and the circumstances warrant...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 09-11-2019, 7:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Talking

Quote:
Hello everyone!

About a year and a half ago I started process to get my CCW, and a guy at a gun store totally persuaded me to get a Shield 9mm.

Since you're so easily persuadable, drop that piece of tupperware, and get a 1911. Preferably a custom Wilson Combat model. With ALL the bells & whistles.

NOW! Hup-hup-hup!!!
Old 09-11-2019, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiejones View Post
I would argue that someone who is 235lb and 6’3” could conceal a full size double stack handgun just as easily as a 170lb 5’10” person could conceal a shield.

I would think so, too. Hard to imagine the OP, at 6’3, 235 is worried about a subcompact double stack?

I’m 5’9, 145 lbs. and gladly turned my Shield over for a 10+1 G26.... which now gets me 12+1, thanks to Saint Benitez . I carry that one all day at 3:30, or a G30S in 45acp, and they both feel fine.

I’m even going to try a Gen 5 G19 MOS w/optic soon, to see if it works......

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

—“Who, that fuggin’ nobody?

—“That fuggin’ nobody........was John Wick!
Old 09-11-2019, 9:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I am 6'3", 235 pounds, and have pretty big hands.
You could ccw practically any gun you want with your build. You could probably even conceal a Desert Eagle.
Old 09-11-2019, 4:16 PM

After carrying a number of years, I’ve discovered first hand what a number of experienced CCWs have been saying for some time; people in general do not notice a thing and certainly not you carrying.

I used to carry a Shield but discovered that the Glock 19 shoots and feels better in my hand. I’ve started carrying the Glock 19 full time, most times with nothing more than a thin t-shirt, usually dark colored. Sure, there is a slight protrusion but no one notices. And I’m not giant, 5’10”, 170 pounds but have large hands. I’ll take a double stack over a single stack any day and not worry about what other people notice or don’t notice. Trust me, they won’t notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2019, 5:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewpolar View Post
After carrying a number of years, I’ve discovered first hand what a number of experienced CCWs have been saying for some time; people in general do not notice a thing and certainly not you carrying.

I used to carry a Shield but discovered that the Glock 19 shoots and feels better in my hand. I’ve started carrying the Glock 19 full time, most times with nothing more than a thin t-shirt, usually dark colored. Sure, there is a slight protrusion but no one notices. And I’m not giant, 5’10”, 170 pounds but have large hands. I’ll take a double stack over a single stack any day and not worry about what other people notice or don’t notice. Trust me, they won’t notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree.....CCWs are still relatively rare in Cali and most people have absolutely no idea that some normal citizens are walking around with protection.

Old 09-11-2019, 5:34 PM
Veteran Member

I like the Kahr CW9 for it's narrow slide and grip---however, my HK P2000SK 9mm offers a better grip and double-stack for more ammo on board---especially when using an X-GRIP extender and P2000 magazines---I'm 6'1'' and 225 with large hands...
Old 09-12-2019, 7:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My 1911's have the thinner Kimber rosewood grips because the stock 1911 grips are too fat for my comfort level. Double stacks are mostly too thick too.
Old 09-12-2019, 8:25 AM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

with that frame, you can comfortably carry compact and sub-compact.
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

******* Consider your final destiny, there is no second chance there. *******
Old 09-12-2019, 9:28 AM

I use a Springfield XD9 Subcompact. I do have a standard mag and an extended mag thanks to freedom week, as well as the 2 ten rounders it came with. This time of year, I find myself with my LCP more often; the Springfield works the rest of the year at a 3:30/4:00 position.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Hunter View Post
I use a Springfield XD9 Subcompact. I do have a standard mag and an extended mag thanks to freedom week, as well as the 2 ten rounders it came with. This time of year, I find myself with my LCP more often; the Springfield works the rest of the year at a 3:30/4:00 position.
I just bought one of those thirty minutes ago — the two tone, stainless steel slide one.

Could you carry it at 3:00? Canted slightly forward? Do you worry about butt of gun printing when wearing just a T shirt? What holster do you use? I am planning on using a Vedder Light Tuck.

Thank you for your reply, Calif Hunter!

Last edited by Centralcoastguy; 09-12-2019 at 12:32 PM..
Old 09-12-2019, 4:31 PM

Unlike Bill Ruger I believe anyone of good standing should be able to own any capacity magaazine they desire. Want to get that ou of the way before my next statement. I did get some 20 rnd mags for my German Sig 226 and a few different standard cap mags for other guns during freedom week.

I prefer single stack soley for concealability reasons or ease of carry. When I got my first Glock 20 in the early nineties it came with 2 15rnd mags and I thought it absurd to have all those rounds to make the handle essentialy a 2x4.
The transition from say from my LadySmith 9mm isn't a problem with my somewhat larger than average paws. I prefer smaller grips on my n frames for a more controlable grip, to me anyway.
Old 09-12-2019, 5:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Anyone else out there prefer double stack to single stack handguns for EDC? It appears single stack is where all the popularity is with CCW guns.
It's very simple...what gun do you want to fight with? What gun do you want to bet your life and/or the lives of your family on?

A subcompact, short sight radius'd, reduced capacity, greater recoiling, weapon that I can barely get my hand on the grip, is NOT the gun I want to fight with when my life depends on it. But that's me. If it works for you, great. Glock 19 size is as small as I go. YMMV.

Fighter Pilot
Old 09-12-2019, 9:25 PM

I would just carry whatever is comfortable for you. I'm a T-Shirt & shorts type of person so I carry a single stack. Once in a great while I carry a Glock 26 or 30S.

Just remember a good belt and holster will make a huge difference.
Old 09-16-2019, 5:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
It's very simple...what gun do you want to fight with? What gun do you want to bet your life and/or the lives of your family on?

A subcompact, short sight radius'd, reduced capacity, greater recoiling, weapon that I can barely get my hand on the grip, is NOT the gun I want to fight with when my life depends on it. But that's me. If it works for you, great. Glock 19 size is as small as I go. YMMV.
What you actually have with you all the time is better than why you’d ideally like but only have sometimes.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 09-16-2019, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post

I totally agree. I bought an Ruger LCR .38 and I could barely get three fingers around the tiny stock grip. First thing I did was to buy a bigger grip and replace the stock one. Unless you have tiny hands, these micro sized guns and so concealable but hard to shoot well. I always thought I would pocket carry my snubbie, but by the time I dig out my gun from my pocket and get a semi-good grip on small five round gun, it is a less than ideal situation. I never pocket carry.

When it is so humid you are sweating through your clothes and you feel every ounce of a gun, then that is a special occasion and wear what you need to. But I am moving to double stack pistols at 3:30 that I can grab quickly, grip fully, and shoot straight. They are a bit bigger than single stack, yes, but we are not talking huge differences. A Glock 26 is still very concealable.

I bought a shotgun last year with a small-ish stock and replaced that right away with a longer, better butt stock. 12 gauge or 20 gauge seem to me less important than having a good, secure, solid supportive shooting platform for stable firing. Don’t understand those cut down pistol grip shotguns without a stock. Never did get the micro Ruger LCP gun thing. There is such a thing as a too small gun for CCW, unless you have tiny hands.

On the other hand, to carry a Desert Eagle or some other big heavy all steel gun CCW that is like carrying an anchor in your pants? That goes to an extreme in the opposite direction. I suspect all of us through learned experience over months and years of EDC will find the sweet spot — Aristotle’s “Golden Mean.” And it will probably change as we age and our bodies change.

Thank you for all the postings. I learned much from these exchanges. Thank you.

Last edited by Centralcoastguy; 09-16-2019 at 8:35 PM..
Old 09-16-2019, 8:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I totally agree. I bought an LCR .38 and I could barely get three fingers around the tiny stock grip. First thing I did was to buy a bigger grip and replace the stock one. Unless you have tiny hands, these micro sized guns and so concealable but hard to shoot well. I always thought I would pocket carry my snubbie, but by the time I dig out my gun from my pocket and get a semi-good grip on small five round gun, it is a less than ideal situation. I never pocket carry.

When it is so humid you are sweating through your clothes and you feel every ounce of a gun, then that is a special occasion and wear what you need to. But I am moving to double stack pistols at 3:30 that I can grab quickly, grip fully, and shoot straight. They are a bit bigger than single stack, yes, but we are not talking huge differences. A Glock 26 is still very concealable.

I bought a shotgun last year with a small-ish stock and replaced that right away with a longer, better butt stock. 12 gauge or 20 gauge seem to me less important than having a good, secure, solid supportive shooting platform for shooting. Don’t understand those cut down pistol grip shotguns without a stock. Never did get the micro LCP gun thing. There is such a thing as a too small gun for CCW, unless you have tiny hands.

I currently CcW a G26 and a G30S at 3:30 with no issues.

I just got my G19 Gen 5 MOS out of jail, tried it out with a red dot optic, and think it can be doable as a CCW....with the right holster. I’m thinking I’ll want a claw, or possibly the Bravo Concealment Torsion holster with a bend/angle on it, to keep the grip tight to the body.

Again, I’m only 5’9” and 145 lbs....they are all double stack guns.