Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 01-14-2013, 12:23 PM

Following up on what Eljay said, Appleseed is not a combat training program. We offer instruction in the fundamentals of traditional rifle marksmanship.

Regarding the Viking Tactics' sling, I have not seen one of those on the line and I have not used one myself. After watching the video, I don't see any reason that it would not work for Appleseed, though I would avoid mounting it so that the sling swivel is on the side of the rifle. This will tend to pull the rifle to the side when the sling is properly tensioned.

The benefit of the Viking sling looks like it would be faster to get into a loop sling with it, once you have it set up. However, for use at an Appleseed event, there would be no advantage over the GI sling.

The benefit of the GI sling is that it costs less than $10, is infinitely adjustable, rugged and reliable. They work great for Appleseed, for other applications YMMV.
Old 01-14-2013, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

When buying a GI "web" sling, make efforts to get a true GI sling that's cotton and not a modern (re)production that's a nylon or cotton/nylon blend.

Those reproductions tend to slip on the keeper because of the texture of the nylon material.

I would rather get an old, used original cotton GI sling with metal parts that have worn finish rather than a brand new nylon (blend) GI reproduction sling.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net
Old 01-14-2013, 6:12 PM
Veteran Member

Agreed about cotton, I bought one nylon sling and it slips down my arm, at least when I'm wearing a jacket.

Just to elaborate on my earlier post a little more - one nice thing about the GI sling is that they're cheap and effective, even if they're not super fast. It makes a lot of sense to me to get one, go to an Appleseed, and see what you think about sling shooting. Then once you've done that you'll be in a good position to make your own determination about what kind of sling you might or might not want for any given purpose, or if it makes more sense to get a bipod or whatever.
Old 02-05-2013, 9:46 AM

buy a ron brown leather sling or a les tam; Turner is acceptable but the Brown or the Tam are the best.

Tam >= Brown > Turner

I own all three and they all work good the Tam and the Turner stay in place the best. The Brown and the tam have no give/stretch.

I currently use the Tam on my rifle. (service AR15)
Old 02-05-2013, 2:32 PM

Old 02-05-2013, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Tuners saddlery Service rifle match sling. Its great, easy to use, and if you buy a blemished one they are inexpensive too. Top of the line sling, can't get much better than a Turners.

Buy one direct from Turners saddlery
Old 02-05-2013, 5:45 PM

Savvy Sniper quad dual QD sling works great.
Old 02-17-2013, 6:38 AM

Any where local in orange county/LA county I can pick a USGI sling? I want to ge to next weeks Appleseed but don't have a sling

Update, my google-fu is strong! The Army-Navy mil surp store in Orange had a few to choose from, pricey at $20, but I got it. Apple seeds here I come! I thought I'd post an update for my So Cal Calguns brethren in need of a new cotton green 1.25" USGI sling.

FYI, they had a great selection of camping, outdoor and military supplies, I might go back today and pickup $10 sleeping mat to use at apple seeds for shooting prone

Last edited by ClickClickPow; 02-18-2013 at 6:31 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 02-19-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Mustang View Post
buy a ron brown leather sling or a les tam; Turner is acceptable but the Brown or the Tam are the best.

Tam >= Brown > Turner

I own all three and they all work good the Tam and the Turner stay in place the best. The Brown and the tam have no give/stretch.

I currently use the Tam on my rifle. (service AR15)
I agree with your positive endorsement of the Les Tam leather sling. I ordered one last year and the quality is astounding. The bigger plus is that it is custom made for you and your rifle (Mr. Tam calls you and does a phone interview to ensure he is building exactly what you need)
Old 01-27-2014, 11:11 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
When buying a GI "web" sling, make efforts to get a true GI sling that's cotton and not a modern (re)production that's a nylon or cotton/nylon blend.

Those reproductions tend to slip on the keeper because of the texture of the nylon material.

I would rather get an old, used original cotton GI sling with metal parts that have worn finish rather than a brand new nylon (blend) GI reproduction sling.
Argh, I wish I had read this before last night. I ordered 1" nylon slings from the Tech Sights website because they were black and will match my rifle and my son's rifle (and I was already ordering a Tech Sights for his Marlin XT-22R). Oh well, live and learn, eh?

I just ordered the 1.25" cotton slings from the Appleseed store. I'd rather buy the right thing than be frustrated for 8 hours.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:18 PM
CGSSA Leader

Never fear -- you may find you like the 1" nylons. The GI ones are slightly grippier and easier to find, and I do like those better, but the ones you've ordered will work.

I did my first Appleseeds (and shot the score) using an Uncle Mike's 1" M1907 style sling. Those work too. It's not a requirement, we just like the M1 GI best.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:12 PM

I bought two of these new in black...
Quote:
Military Cotton Web Sling
1 ¼" wide
Military sling for M1/M1A/1903 or AR-15
NRA and CMP Service rifle legal
Military grade hardware
Available in OD Green or Black $13.95
http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/...Web_Sling.html
It sounds like he doesn't own any mil-surps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullnshoot25 View Post
What does T&A mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
What does TaN mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joea View Post
What does T, A & F mean?
Old 02-19-2014, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconnerley View Post
Following up on what Eljay said, Appleseed is not a combat training program. We offer instruction in the fundamentals of traditional rifle marksmanship.

Regarding the Viking Tactics' sling, I have not seen one of those on the line and I have not used one myself. After watching the video, I don't see any reason that it would not work for Appleseed, though I would avoid mounting it so that the sling swivel is on the side of the rifle. This will tend to pull the rifle to the side when the sling is properly tensioned.

The benefit of the Viking sling looks like it would be faster to get into a loop sling with it, once you have it set up. However, for use at an Appleseed event, there would be no advantage over the GI sling.

The benefit of the GI sling is that it costs less than $10, is infinitely adjustable, rugged and reliable. They work great for Appleseed, for other applications YMMV.
For anyone with doubts in using a VTAC sling or similar in Appleseed, I just want to say I was able to use it with little issue. Appleseed instructors let me work with it just fine. I would heed what I bolded above and I've moved the front attachment point a little bit.

I will have to add that it's not the optimal sling, but if you already have one like I did it can and will work.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 02-19-2014, 8:57 PM

Quote:
I bought two of these new in black...
More black cotton M1 slings
Old 02-21-2014, 10:41 PM

& at a better price! but they might make it back in shipping though.
It sounds like he doesn't own any mil-surps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullnshoot25 View Post
What does T&A mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
What does TaN mean?
Quote:
What does T, A & F mean?
Old 03-30-2014, 4:26 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaster View Post
+1 for versatility and ease of use. I won't post it again for fear of the dupe trolls, but look them up on YouTube. Viking Tactics or VTAC sling should do the trick there.
Plus 2
Old 12-06-2014, 4:29 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Ugh, I always get turned around w/ sling set up and there's different ways shown on the net (I guess it's a preference matter). I know I've seen the discussion before but google fu was weak just now and I need to get some LTR's set up right quick. Plus this is already a sticky thread.

Can y'all please confirm (or deny but confirm better) I have this right? The arrow representing rifle, muzzle forward.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by readysetgo; 10-14-2017 at 12:25 PM..
Old 12-10-2014, 7:44 PM
CGSSA Leader

I always miss the new posts in the sticky threads...

ANyway, that is correct. When the sling is flat, the h-buckle -- the part you pull the loop from -- faces away from the stock.

The stock length adjuster can face either way, but I like it too to face away from the stock, as you have it here.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 12-10-2014, 8:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Cotton web sling usage instructions: http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/websling/webslinghelp.htm

The adjuster should be facing towards the stock. It makes it easier to adjust the sling when you're slung up.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net

Last edited by ocabj; 12-10-2014 at 8:54 PM..