Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-28-2021, 4:28 AM

Default Lee powder measure in Lock N Load press?

I just picked up a Hornady Lock N Load AP progressive press. I've been using Lee dies on my single stage press. My question is, will the Lee Perfect Powder measure that is used with the Lee powder through expander die work with this press, or can I only use the Hornady powder measure with it? Also does anyone know if the Hornady powder measure will work with the Lee powder through expander die?

Last edited by Greg Curci; 04-28-2021 at 4:31 AM.. Reason: Wrong title
Old 04-28-2021, 7:27 AM

Was thinking about doing the same thing (I find the Lee Classic to be a tad more consistent than the Hornady measure); If you use the case-activated drop, I'd assume it's just a matter of fabbing up the linkage to get the throw length right.

I have no idea on the powder through thing, as I've never seen or used the Lee version. You can get a Hornady powder through for most cartridges though. What are you loading?
Old 04-28-2021, 4:18 PM

9mm 45 ACP .223 40 S&W
Old 04-29-2021, 4:07 AM

Yes you can make that work.
Old 04-29-2021, 7:32 AM

In my experience, the Hornady measure works OK. The linkage is already set up to work, and you can get powder-thru expanders for the pistol cases you mentioned. The Lee measure may be slightly more consistent, but IMO not enough to justify the hassle of kludging up the linkage (at least it hasn't justified it yet.)

That said, if you're loading cast bullets, I'd recommend using an M-die type expander in the prior position, and just charge the case at the charging station. M-die seems much less sensitive to length variance, and more accurate on expansion. Jacketed bullets probably won't need this (but also won't hurt, assuming the M-die doesn't over-expand the brass for the bullet size.)

I don't expand rifle brass (though you may need to if you load cast bullets), so I wouldn't use a Powder Thru there. YMMV.

If you do decide to graft the Lee measure onto your AP, post pics of your work. I'd be interested.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:46 AM

I have used the Lee PTX and powder drop on my LnL. ?

Confirmed Domestic Terrorist & NRA Member

tiocfaidh ár lá
Bobby Sands
Old 04-29-2021, 7:07 PM

I already had the Lee powder measure, just got the L N L and will set up this weekend. I want to use the Lee since I already have all the Lee dies. I will post a picture one I get everything figured out
Old 05-01-2021, 2:09 AM

All powder measures can be used. The issue is, can you remember to meter the powder by hand with a progressive press. I have used Lee, Dillon, and Hornady powder measures on Hornady and Dillon presses without issue.
Most days you'll see a Lee Pro Auto-Disk on at least one of my 1050s.
Old 05-03-2021, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
All powder measures can be used. The issue is, can you remember to meter the powder by hand with a progressive press
That's what the case-actuated measure is designed to avoid. The only squib loads I've made were on a Dillon 550 with the manual measure. Haven't had one since switching to the AP with the case actuated measure.

Was idly thinking that, on the Hornady AP, an elastic cable (suitably-sized bungee cord) anchored to the press and run over a pully on a rod or tower then down to the measure handle would likely work with just about any up-down actuated measure. Elastic would mean that precise adjustment wouldn't be necessary, as it would be with the steel multi-lever type that Hornady supplies. In theory it should work.
Old 05-04-2021, 3:12 AM

The Lee powder through expander die screws into the LNL die bushing for an easy fit that has dependable operation.
Old 05-04-2021, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheep View Post
The Lee powder through expander die screws into the LNL die bushing for an easy fit that has dependable operation.
And what powder measure are you using? And does it act as a case-actuated measure, or do you have to actuate it manually?
Old 05-05-2021, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingin View Post
And what powder measure are you using? And does it act as a case-actuated measure, or do you have to actuate it manually?
The Lee Auto Drum or Auto Disc will work, no linkage required as they are both actuated by the case.
Old 05-05-2021, 7:50 AM

Okay, thanks. I have a Classic measure, which is handle actuated.