Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 01-06-2021, 10:57 AM

Default Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
There aren't that many in the stores, so it shouldn't take long to get those back and fix them.
I heard that as well from Sig awhile back. Not sure if new rifles are currently for sale. I know that my LGS had a couple of sales pending in November, those were canceled and the rifles returned to Sig.

Oddly, Cabalas still has them listed on their web site, and apparently does have a few .308's in their warehouse. But I don't know if those rifles are available for online sales now or not.

I called the Sig customer support number this morning (01/06/21), and the person I spoke with had no updates. I did mention the Snipers Hide post to the rep, he wasn't aware of it and had no official timeline.

Last edited by RideWest; 01-06-2021 at 11:18 AM..
Old 01-06-2021, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWest View Post
I heard that as well from Sig awhile back. Not sure if new rifles are currently for sale. I know that my LGS had a couple of sales pending in November, those were canceled and the rifles returned to Sig.

Oddly, Cabalas still has them listed on their web site, and apparently does have a few .308's in their warehouse. But I don't know if those rifles are available for online sales now or not.

I called the Sig customer support number this morning (01/06/21), and the person I spoke with had no updates. I did mention the Snipers Hide post to the rep, he wasn't aware of it and had no official timeline.

Solid info Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2021, 12:11 PM

Here is the link from SH:
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...3#post-9148855
Old 02-17-2021, 10:45 PM

Well I just got notification of the shipping box being sent to me. Looks like I should be receiving it soon and shipping it back. Not sure what the fix is yet, but will see.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2021, 9:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Boy, that took awhile.
Old 02-18-2021, 5:41 PM

Default RMA

Quote:
Boy, that took awhile.
I read on SN that a member reported getting their shipping information. I had heard last week from someone who works with Sig, that they had identified a fix, and were having the replacement parts manufactured.

It appears that they now have enough parts to ask for rifles back. I didn’t get any technical details, so I don’t know which parts are being changed. But I would guess they are going build new trigger groups and have techs swap the whole thing out to minimize the touch time per rifle.

The trigger group was custom to the cross, it’s not an off the shelf standard trigger. So given COVID and the holidays, Sig’s time frame was reasonable to troubleshoot, redesign and have parts made off of one failure.

Last edited by RideWest; 02-18-2021 at 6:31 PM..
Old 02-18-2021, 6:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post
I'm more puzzled by a 16in and 18in barrel on what is supposed to be a precision rifle.
Because they want to brag about how light weight it is.

Hope they get the sig fury release right. They are not doing great with the firearms on gen 1.
Old 03-01-2021, 6:08 PM

Got my shipping box today with the return label. Letter inside said it will take 2-4 weeks to complete once received by sig, no details on what will be done.

Old 03-17-2021, 1:47 PM

Any recent updates on the Cross recall? I'm looking to buy one (when it's safe) and pair it with Sig's BDX optic combo.
Old 03-17-2021, 2:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Have you seen anyone selling them?
Old 03-17-2021, 2:57 PM

No not yet, I sent mine in for the recall and it was received by sig, but it's only been there a few days.

Old 03-17-2021, 4:19 PM
Veteran Member

Ah yes... Nutnfancy. The man who always have a lot to say while saying little. I learned to not follow him closely long ago.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Have you seen anyone selling them?
That's a negative. I also checked with my semi-private FFL, and he said it's not in stock.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikman33 View Post
No not yet, I sent mine in for the recall and it was received by sig, but it's only been there a few days.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
Ah yes... Nutnfancy. The man who always have a lot to say while saying little. I learned to not follow him closely long ago.
His videos are entertaining, but I've found myself watching his videos less and less every year.
Old 03-22-2021, 2:18 PM

I am suppose to receive my Cross return box at the end of the week. Has anyone gotten their rifle back from Sig yet, and if so has the trigger feel changed?

I am starting to have second thoughts about sending it back, and wanted to see if others are satisfied with the recall fix.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I am suppose to receive my Cross return box at the end of the week. Has anyone gotten their rifle back from Sig yet, and if so has the trigger feel changed?

I am starting to have second thoughts about sending it back, and wanted to see if others are satisfied with the recall fix.
Besides the recall. How did you like the rifle? I like to shoot long-range standing offhand, so this rifle's weight and price fits my needs and budget.
Old 03-24-2021, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46dxyan View Post
Besides the recall. How did you like the rifle? I like to shoot long-range standing offhand, so this rifle's weight and price fits my needs and budget.
Over all I like it, I put probably 60 rounds through mine before I sent it in. Shot sub MOA groups at 100 yards, and rang steel just fine out further than that. I've had it out to 300 so far. Mine is the 6.5 Creedmoor with a few years old Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40 mil dot scope.

Bolt was smooth, felt good in the hand, optics mounted fine. Trigger pull was nice and light.

Only real complaint is that the stock, when in the extended position for use, it didn't sit straight to the action/barrel line. It actually veered slightly off to the left, like the hinge when machined or mounted to the rifle allowed the stock to swing slightly past 180* from collapsed. This draws the rifle center line slightly away from your eye.
Old 03-24-2021, 4:14 PM

I like the rifle, I haven’t had an issue with it so far. I put about 150 hand loads through it. I have shot it out to 1020 yards, the 6.5 is definitely better in wind compared to my Valkyrie.

Not crazy about stripping it to send it back, but I understand why. I would like to hear that most are satisfied with the recall changes. Sig doesn’t really offer any details, their letter basically says, something in the bolt carrier and something in the trigger.

In my mind the likely hood of that issue happening is extremely small, so I am comfortable taking it to the range. But if the recall solves a potential issue and doesn’t mess up the trigger feel I’ll send it back.

Last edited by RideWest; 03-24-2021 at 4:18 PM..
Old 03-25-2021, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikman33 View Post
Over all I like it, I put probably 60 rounds through mine before I sent it in. Shot sub MOA groups at 100 yards, and rang steel just fine out further than that. I've had it out to 300 so far. Mine is the 6.5 Creedmoor with a few years old Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40 mil dot scope.

Bolt was smooth, felt good in the hand, optics mounted fine. Trigger pull was nice and light.

Only real complaint is that the stock, when in the extended position for use, it didn't sit straight to the action/barrel line. It actually veered slightly off to the left, like the hinge when machined or mounted to the rifle allowed the stock to swing slightly past 180* from collapsed. This draws the rifle center line slightly away from your eye.
Thank you for your review. I'll be on the look out when Sig restocks this rifle.
Old 03-25-2021, 2:59 PM

Quote:
I like the rifle, I havenít had an issue with it so far. I put about 150 hand loads through it. I have shot it out to 1020 yards, the 6.5 is definitely better in wind compared to my Valkyrie.

Not crazy about stripping it to send it back, but I understand why. I would like to hear that most are satisfied with the recall changes. Sig doesnít really offer any details, their letter basically says, something in the bolt carrier and something in the trigger.

In my mind the likely hood of that issue happening is extremely small, so I am comfortable taking it to the range. But if the recall solves a potential issue and doesnít mess up the trigger feel Iíll send it back.

Thank you for your review. Yea, it's a hassle to deal with any recall.
Old 03-26-2021, 8:03 AM

Default Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46dxyan View Post
Thank you for your review. Yea, it's a hassle to deal with any recall.
Yeah there is the hassle of stripping a rifle after it’s been dialed in. But the bigger frustration is Sig not willing to take the time to state what they are changing.

One person on SH said the trigger felt worse in dry firing, but he didn’t try readjusting it at all. Update is that after adjustment, the trigger post recall feels the same.

So I would like to hear back from a few more people once they have their rifle back. I did receive information on how to remove the trigger module. I haven’t tried it my self, but thought it would be handy to know how.

If anyone wants the instructions send me a PM. I can’t vouch for them, but they make sense, and are pretty much what I expected. Here is a photo of the Cross trigger module:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 278BD788-D165-4C98-AA15-3DDFC132475B.jpg (9.7 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by RideWest; 04-02-2021 at 6:44 PM..
Old 04-15-2021, 5:28 PM

Update: I received my rifle back from Sig today. With shipping to the West Coast it took a week plus each way, but only 4 days for Sig to do the work before sending it back.

The trigger module was swapped out, because my trigger adjustment mark was not there. I had asked for the old parts, but Sig no surprise did not return them.

It does appear the sear which is seen through the slot in the chassis below the bolt is different. The trigger after a small half turn adjustment does feel the same as it did prior to the return.

The safety if moved slowly from off to on with the bolt closed, does have a slight detent like feel (around 60 degrees) that was not noticeable prior to the recall.

If you move the safety normally, typical speed and effort after a shot, I really don’t notice the detent. It does go away completely with the bolt open. This is a non issue for me on my rifle. The safety can be re-engaged without any problem.

Last edited by RideWest; 04-16-2021 at 5:15 AM..
Old 04-16-2021, 10:30 AM

Hopefully they'll have gen2 out shortly and I can pick one up. I don't hunt, but I like the idea of a light, somewhat compact bolt action rifle in 6.5 crd.
Old 04-17-2021, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfvshooter View Post
Hopefully they'll have gen2 out shortly and I can pick one up. I don't hunt, but I like the idea of a light, somewhat compact bolt action rifle in 6.5 crd.
If your looking for a lighter weight rifle with a shorter barrel, I donít think there is anything else out there for the same price that also has a folding stock, and barrels that can be changed without a gun smith.

Savage and Ruger have stuff but are a little more PRS specific and weight a lot more. My rifle with a scope, MDT Arca-Swiss rail and LB muzzle break comes in at 9.0 lbs. I would buy it again, I never experienced any issues with the trigger, but in the interest of safety felt like I should do the recall.

New rifles will have the recall included, I am not aware of Sig releasing a version 2.0 anytime soon. I think the plan is to offer additional barrel options, but thatís all I have heard. They made it easy to transition from an AR platform to a chassis bolt action rifle that is highly configurable.
Old 04-17-2021, 5:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

How does it shoot wrt accuracy?

I'm interested in one because it's got a lot of attributes of a Scout Rifle -light, powerful, and compact. The folding stock make it more compact than the Steyr. If someone rigs up a switch-barrel setup, that would be so much better.
Old 04-17-2021, 6:24 PM

I shot sub moa 5 shot group the first time I had it out. Hornady Eld 140gr. If I remember the group was .758. using a Nikon buckmaster 6-18*40. Mine shoots better than I do.

Now on the other hand my uncle got one also and swears it's terrible. I haven't seen it in person, but he's competed in PRS and has some high end stuff. He's very picky, and I trust him.

Lots of other people have had good experience, including myself

Old 04-18-2021, 2:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

For a PRS guy .758 might be considered terrible.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:56 PM

Default PRS

Quote:
For a PRS guy .758 might be considered terrible.
But itís less than 1 MOA, and your hitting steel at PRS matches. A guy on SH was getting about that for 5 shot groups .6-.7Ē, and less for 4 shot groups with hand loads. We are talking about a light production rifle with a bipod.
Old 04-18-2021, 1:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

MPA's are guaranteed .5 inch I think. A lot of PRS guns are better. Not saying that's bad, just saying maybe your uncle thinks it's bad.
Old 04-18-2021, 5:59 PM

Default MPA

Quote:
MPA's are guaranteed .5 inch I think. A lot of PRS guns are better. Not saying that's bad, just saying maybe your uncle thinks it's bad.
MPA’s are great rifles, but they sell in $3500-$3700 dollar range compared to $1500 for the Cross. True a lot of PRS specific rifles do shoot better, but they are not 7 lbs. They typically add weight and come in at 12-18 lbs.

People don’t have to like the Cross, it has limited appeal, but you are getting a lot for the money. Take off an inexpensive Harris bipod and lock it in a lead sled on a bench and I bet you will see groups close to half an inch.

Last edited by RideWest; 04-18-2021 at 6:03 PM..
Old 04-18-2021, 7:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You're not hearing what I'm saying. Your uncle said it was terrible, right? Maybe to him .7 is terrible because he's used to better.
Old 04-18-2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:
My MPA BA in 6.5 came with 1/3 MOA guarantee.

If you're used to shooting a 1 hole rifle, anything less will seem subpar.
Old 04-20-2021, 2:54 PM

Default Lamborghini or Toyota

Quote:
You're not hearing what I'm saying. Your uncle said it was terrible, right? Maybe to him .7 is terrible because he's used to better.
I understand the analogy, and I agree that if I drove a $1,000,000 car, I wouldn’t feel happy being forced to drive a Toyota Corolla.

My point was the Cross is a particular tool at a certain price point, and I think it comes with a good barrel. But you can’t fairly compare it to high end systems with a specific purpose for twice the cost. I don’t see how that contributes to a discussion of the trigger recall.

If some one is getting.75” groups, I would say that’s typical, some may do better and get .5” groups and that would be great. That’s my opinion from shooting the rifle. The fact that you may not be happy with .75” groups from any rifle, can be your standard, it’s all good.

Last edited by RideWest; 04-20-2021 at 3:32 PM..
Old 05-03-2021, 10:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

These are showing up on websites for sale in 6.5, haven't seen any in .308 yet.
Old 05-03-2021, 9:22 PM

Quote:
These are showing up on websites for sale in 6.5, haven't seen any in .308 yet.
Riflegear has 4 of the 308 version in stock right now in Fountain Valley and online. I got mine from bass Pro and love this thing.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Online it says $1500, is that what it was?
Old 05-04-2021, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Online it says $1500, is that what it was?
Yes, but I also had points for Cabelas which saved me a bunch more. But man, after going to Bass Pro to do the paperwork, I will gladly pay more to go to a actual gun shop. SMH