Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 01-10-2019, 2:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Default CCW firearms thread?

Seems that there isn't a thread about the CCW firearms themselves where people who carry can share their experiences to people who might be thinking of getting a CCW gun or to folks who want other pieces aside from what they already have on their permit.

So let me kick this thing off.

On my permit have a 442, a LCRx 3" and a 5" 1911.

The 442 is my daily. I can have it on me pretty much with any attire. I carry it hooked to my waistband with a Barami Hip Grip and sheathed in a pocket holster at my appendix position. The downside is the most effective loads have very stout recoil. It took lots of practice to gain proficiency. I carry the modern versions of the old Treasury load in it.

My LCRx 3" is my hiking gun. I load it with 158gr hardcast +P from Doubletap. I carry it at the appendix position in a pocket holster. I had to change to boot grips to make it concealable. The extra inch of barrel adds a tad of "pokiness" but it's the hammer spur that digs in to my tummy sometimes.

5" custom 1911. I don't carry this at all. I just added it on my permit because I am allowed three.

Soon to be on my permit:

Charter Arms Bulldog. An honest to goodness, real big bore revolver whose weight is comparable to small snubnose revolvers. I load 200 gr bonded HP in it. Had to trim the bottom of the grip to reduce the gun height. Also had to trim the left grip panel because the innermost empty shell gets hung up and won't eject. I saw many internet reports that it kicks hard. No it doesn't. An alloy J frame with 38 +P kicks much, much more. I plan to install a Clip Draw on it and carry it on my waistband at my appendix while sheathed in a pocket holster.

Glock 29. To replace the LCRx as my hiking gun. I have 200gr hard cast loads for it. It can pretty much kill anything short of a moose with that load. I plan to carry it condition 3 with a Clip Draw.
Old 01-10-2019, 4:02 PM

If someone has a specific question there are lots of people here that will lend a hand. Stating an open ended position is not going to get you any specific information.
Old 01-10-2019, 4:04 PM

I’m pretty sure we’ve had one of these threads in the past. For me though:

Sig P238-.380: This is my pocket gun, carry in a kydex pocket holster or soft sticky holster.

Glock 43-9mm: Carry IWB in an Alien Gear 4.0 holster at 4 o’clock.

Glock 27-.40cal: Carry IWB in an Alien Gear 4.0 holster at 4 o’clock.

The Sig & Glock 43 are my summertime, loose clothes carry items. The Glock 27 is for Wintertime or when going somewhere super sketcky for the extra capacity over the other two.
Old 01-10-2019, 4:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert101 View Post
If someone has a specific question there are lots of people here that will lend a hand. Stating an open ended position is not going to get you any specific information.
Yet there is a sub forum for CCW holsters and accessories...
Old 01-10-2019, 7:03 PM

My county allows 3:

I have a Springfield xdm compact .45, and Springfield xds 9 mm, and a Kahr .380 on mine. I carry the .45 about 80% of the time. I carry the .380 about 15% of the time (when I need something small to conceal) and the xds the other 5%. My wife generally carries the xds.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 PM

My regular carry is a Kahr MK9. I have some shoulder holster t-shorts that are super comfy, and the little leather Desantis iwb that I Appendix carry.

I also have a cw9 that I'm going to sell, as I always go with the mk9 instead.

My 3rd is a glock 17 which I also added just to have all 3 slots filled.

My final plan is this:

MK9 (smallest, easiest to conceal)
S&w 8 shot revolver
TBD (3-5" revolver in 44 or 357 most likely)
Old 01-11-2019, 6:54 AM

Initially I was going to put six guns on my card; different guns for different uses. I figured one gun for EDC, one for hiking, one for T-shirt and shorts, etc. I didn't want to be viewed as a "gun nut" so I pared it down to four.

In reality I have only carried one gun for every use, a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45. It is comfortable and comforting and works well for all my needs. When renewal time comes I will probably drop down to two, the Kimber and a Springfield EMP as a backup in case something happens to the Kimber.
Old 01-11-2019, 7:40 AM

Currently I have a G19 (94% of time), a S&W 442 (5% of time), and a Bersa Firestorm (<1% of time).

It's not that I don't like the Bersa or the J-frame. In fact, I've shot over 200 rounds through the Bersa in the last week and a half. It's just that if I can carry the G19 - which aside from pajamas or basketball shorts, I can - then I would rather have the shootability from that rather than the other two.

G19 or Bersa are appendix, 442 is pocket carry.
Old 01-11-2019, 4:16 PM
retired Goon

San Bernardino County only allows three handguns to be listed on the permits they issue.

Initially on my permit...
1. .45ACP Glock 30 {carried this 10% of the time}
2. 9x19mm SIG P-290RS {carried this 90% of the time}
My third handgun (.32ACP Kel-Tec P-32) was rejected due to the serial number not exactly matching what was listed in AFS (example... #0123, shows up as #123. since it did not exactly match, it was rejected. CA DOJ BOF tech said AFS automatically drops all zeros before the first postive number due to how it was created/programed in 1996 and there is no way to correct this, unless a new database/system is created).

Currently on my permit...
1. 9x19mm Glock 43 {carry this 94% of the time}
2. 9x19mm Glock 19 {carry this 1% of the time}
3. .45ACP Glock 30 {carry this 4% of the time}

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 01-11-2019 at 4:19 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 4:30 PM

1. Walther PPS M2 (carry 85% in Sticky and Stealthgear mini)

2. G42 (carry 10% in Sticky holster)

3. G26 (rarely carry, only when one of the others is down or with the wife in a Sticky also)
Old 01-11-2019, 4:42 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If applicable, it can be handy to list a spouse's CCW weapon.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-11-2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
If applicable, it can be handy to list a spouse's CCW weapon.
the big if..no ring here yet.

we both have sig 938's, so we can at least swap mags. we were also looking at the EMP as a 4th, but the reliability issues make us question that...going to be adding a kahr pm40 i picked up in the meantime...we're considering the kimber ultra carry II instead.

my other 2 are shields (9/40). majority of the time i go with the shield 9, or for hiking, generally it's the 40. sig is good for extra concealability, especially in a holster shirt (also have a alien gear cloak tuck for that one), and a cloak 2.0 for both of the shields.

her others are a g19 and a beretta nano, though 90% of the time she goes to the sig.
Old 01-11-2019, 5:41 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Performance Center ported M&P9 Shield + S&W 442

Old 01-11-2019, 5:44 PM
Calguns Addict

I have 7 on my permit.

But carrying the 342 AirLite (J-frame) in pocket sticky (loaded w/gold dots) I can't seem to carry anything else now (spoiled)

Forget I even have it on me, can wear just about anything I want, & that in itself is huge for me. Gets hot around here in summer, so tank tops are great.
Old 01-12-2019, 5:25 AM

The 3 that I carry regularly are Sig P365 probably about 80% of the time, Glock 19x for colder weather or when I think I may need the added capacity. I carry it maybe 15% of the time, and Glock 19 occasionally just to change things up sometimes 5%. I very very rarely will carry anything else. All are carried appendix with a Tier1Concealed holster. I’ve been looking for something new to throw into the mix and kinda looking at the FN stuff. Good thread idea!
Old 01-12-2019, 7:22 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

G19 or G43 - Stealthgear holster at 4:30.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:27 AM

I do need a little help.

I've done my livescan and am waiting for my notice to proceed to class. I am only allowed 3 on my ccw. I own 2 guns and went ahead and put them both on my permit as I was advised to do so.

- P229 Legacy with added E2 grips, Short Reset Trigger and new Truglo night sights. .40 cal. I originally bought this for home defense. 32 oz.

-CZ P-01 with G10 grips and new Meprolight night Sights. 9mm 28 oz.

I got an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.5 holster which prints pretty heavily at 4:30 for the P-01 unless I am wearing a jacket or lined flannel shirt.

I regret putting the P229 on the application as the only way I think I could conceal that is with appendix carry which I am a little apprehensive about. Same with the P-01. I think appendix is the only option for actual concealment with my build and style of dress. I'm going to class with NFI and the instructor I spoke with recommended it.

I'm a short guy and don't think carrying on the hip is ever going to be easy for me to conceal.

I've been all over the map thinking about a 3rd carry gun. Do I spend a lot of money on an off roster gun like a Sig P365 or a P320 subcompact? ( 1000 -1200 plus fees and taxes which is a bit out of my budget right now).

Do I stay on roster and save money and get a shield and add an Apex trigger?That's about $600 plus taxes and fees. ( I also liked the Springfield EMP but too many quality control issues and I don't like the ambidextrous safety).

Or do I just chill out , work with the 2 I have and modify them? For less money than the shield I can send my CZ P-01 to CGW and do the Pro Package. I love that pistol. It's the concealability that I am concerned with.

I can send my P229 to Sig and do the Action Enhancement Package as well. Same issue.

Both of these combined would be cost about the same as a new Shield 9mm with an Apex trigger.

Is it best to just work with the two I have, get some experience in carrying them, keep working with them and then from that think about where to go next? I'm not sure how easy it is to remove a gun from your permit and switch to another. With that in mind, I really want to make the right choice for my 3rd pistol.

Any insight or experience would be appreciated.
Old 01-12-2019, 9:44 PM

My IA is easy on numbers. I think what’s missing on the previous posts is a quality, light .45acp. I use;
-G42 .380 travel gun
-Beretta 92c 9mm great shooter
-Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum heavier, easy to conceal.

Everything else is .45acp;
-Kahr P45 Lightweight, easily concealed. Most often carried, highly recommended.

-Kimber Ultra 1911 Heavier, next in line.

- Les Baer Custom Great shooter, more uncomfortable to carry, worth the discomfort.

- Sig XO Revolution 1911 Great shooter, heavier, more uncomfortable to carry.

- Sig P220 heavier, more uncomfortable to carry.
- G41 Great shooter, larger, needs lower riding holster to conceal well.

I’m willing to be a little more uncomfortable to carry a little more bang. I’m taller with an athletic build. Easier to conceal larger firearms. I would consider.45acp options. Have fun.
Old 01-13-2019, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulJoker View Post
I do need a little help.

(snip)

Is it best to just work with the two I have, get some experience in carrying them, keep working with them and then from that think about where to go next? I'm not sure how easy it is to remove a gun from your permit and switch to another. With that in mind, I really want to make the right choice for my 3rd pistol.

Any insight or experience would be appreciated.

so....my 3 cents

the size can definitely add to the printing issue (i prefer single stacks for carry), but it's not the only factor. i know i'm trading a little accessibility for cover, but i mostly run mine further back (5'ish), so the entire holster and backer is behind my hip. i do also sometimes appendix carry, or use one of those "holster shirts".

i personally feel like appendix is harder to conceal, at least with my build (5'10, 160), as i end up "thicker" on one side than the other. suggestion wise, maybe some more info on your "style of dress" can help the group offer more useful suggestions.

on gun options, is kahr an option? there's a NIB PM9 in modesto for $450$400 (no ship, and not sure of your location, Joker) and this one in Tahoe for $550 with a couple holsters. roster isn't loading for me right now, but another list shows it still being on, as well as the PM40, and both are around the same general price range as the shields, both go lower if you can find a good deal. (if you have turners opening near you, look there. i got a nice deal on my PM40).

also, is going 380 an option? last i checked, sig p238 is still on roster, and they're pretty darn small, and fall between the two price ranges you mentioned ($700ish, maybe?)

Last edited by local_nobody; 01-14-2019 at 4:08 PM.. Reason: updated links
Old 01-13-2019, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by local_nobody View Post

i personally feel like appendix is harder to conceal, at least with my build (5'10, 160), as i end up "thicker" on one side than the other. suggestion wise, maybe some more info on your "style of dress" can help the group offer more useful suggestions.

also, is going 380 an option? last i checked, sig p238 is still on roster, and they're pretty darn small, and fall between the two price ranges you mentioned ($700ish, maybe?)
I'm 6' 165lbs and I appendix carry single stack compact 1911s. Either an EMP or Kimber Ultra CDP. I understand what you mean about being thicker on one side. Have you looked at holsters that sit right in the front and let you carry a spare magazine too? I find that something to the left of my carry weapon evens me out. I'm using a Tier1Concealed Axis Slim. I also carry an extra mag to the left of the holster to even things out even more. I can easily conceal one of the 1911s with just a t-shirt.

I also carry a Sig P238. It is a tiny gun and is very easy to conceal. Great with sweats, in a pocket or without a belt.

Keep an eye out bc Turner's had been putting the two-tone p238 on sale for 499 every other month for the last year. That's what I paid for mine.

EDIT: a really good belt makes a huge difference. I just upgraded my belt from what I thought was a good belt.. but my new one is the best EDC belt I've ever used. I thought my old one did a good job concealing but the new one is stiffer and does a great job supporting the holster. I'm using an Ares Gear Aegis belt. It's pricey but worth it.

Last edited by madmike88; 01-13-2019 at 7:04 PM..
Old 01-13-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike88 View Post
Have you looked at holsters that sit right in the front and let you carry a spare magazine too? I find that something to the left of my carry weapon evens me out. I'm using a Tier1Concealed Axis Slim. I also carry an extra mag to the left of the holster to even things out even more. I can easily conceal one of the 1911s with just a t-shirt.

EDIT: a really good belt makes a huge difference. I just upgraded my belt from what I thought was a good belt.. but my new one is the best EDC belt I've ever used. I thought my old one did a good job concealing but the new one is stiffer and does a great job supporting the holster. I'm using an Ares Gear Aegis belt. It's pricey but worth it.
i have a couple separate mag carriers, but one isn't tuckable and the other is just too square to be comfortable IWB. i usually end up tucking the spare mag into a coin pocket or cargo pocket, based on whatever i'm wearing that day. for appendix, i'll generally use a small desantis tuckable IWB holster, but the clip on that one doesn't work great with good leather belts; it seems made to clip over the top of the pants and hook under the belt, and seems more geared toward web type. stays put decently if you can clip near a belt loop though, and clipping behind the belt makes the clip harder to spot.

on belts, i'll agree. my leaning toward more loose-fitting clothes means a belt is essential, but i've usually tended toward cheap web belts, but recently picked up a 5.11 double buckle belt on sale..minor but noticeable improvement. i also have one of alien gear's belts (which it appears they've split off as a separate brand, now), which works even better either of the others.

edit: updated price in my previous post, and added one more.

Last edited by local_nobody; 01-14-2019 at 4:08 PM..
Old 01-17-2019, 10:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm in San Bernardino county so I'm only allowed 3 guns on my permit.

Currently on my permit:

Sig Sauer P290rs 9mm - carried about 85% of the time.
Taurus PT-738 .380 - carried about 15% of the time.
Smith & Wesson 908 - carried twice; can't even figure out a percentage for that.

I have my renewal coming up; taking in my paperwork tomorrow.

Guns to be listed on my new permit:

Sig Sauer P290rs 9mm
Taurus PT-738 .380
Charter Arms mid 80's Off Duty .38 Special

Plan for carry with new permit:

Charter Arms Off Duty will be carried Monday to Friday as I'm now back in sales and work inside an office all day.

Sig Sauer will be my Saturday and Sunday carry gun.

The Taurus will be my remain my pocket carry gun for those quick trips or when I just feel like pocket carrying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 01-17-2019, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
Seems that there isn't a thread about the CCW firearms themselves where people who carry can share their experiences to people who might be thinking of getting a CCW gun or to folks who want other pieces aside from what they already have on their permit.

So let me kick this thing off.

On my permit have a 442, a LCRx 3" and a 5" 1911.

The 442 is my daily. I can have it on me pretty much with any attire. I carry it hooked to my waistband with a Barami Hip Grip and sheathed in a pocket holster at my appendix position. The downside is the most effective loads have very stout recoil. It took lots of practice to gain proficiency. I carry the modern versions of the old Treasury load in it.

My LCRx 3" is my hiking gun. I load it with 158gr hardcast +P from Doubletap. I carry it at the appendix position in a pocket holster. I had to change to boot grips to make it concealable. The extra inch of barrel adds a tad of "pokiness" but it's the hammer spur that digs in to my tummy sometimes.

5" custom 1911. I don't carry this at all. I just added it on my permit because I am allowed three.

Soon to be on my permit:

Charter Arms Bulldog. An honest to goodness, real big bore revolver whose weight is comparable to small snubnose revolvers. I load 200 gr bonded HP in it. Had to trim the bottom of the grip to reduce the gun height. Also had to trim the left grip panel because the innermost empty shell gets hung up and won't eject. I saw many internet reports that it kicks hard. No it doesn't. An alloy J frame with 38 +P kicks much, much more. I plan to install a Clip Draw on it and carry it on my waistband at my appendix while sheathed in a pocket holster.

Glock 29. To replace the LCRx as my hiking gun. I have 200gr hard cast loads for it. It can pretty much kill anything short of a moose with that load. I plan to carry it condition 3 with a Clip Draw.
We can all talk, brag, wish about the CCW firearms we have or want, however for the knowledgeable user guns are much more personal than simply a try this recommendation. There are national level competitive shooters than can deliver rapid, accurate fire in a multitude of conditions who can shoot gun X to best effect and can't make gun y work, well others reverse the condition. For shooters with physical limitations different guns in the same caliber will perform very differently. Without a full discussion of drivers from hand size, eye sight, physical limitations such as arthritis, old broken bones, and financial resources you might as well just throw up a list of guns on the roster.

I agree with the poster earlier in this thread it's a one on one discussion, with people offering answer to a specific question vs, a laundry list. Much like the old adage in the military that armatures talk tactics and professionals study logistics. Novices talk guns, professionals talk implementations.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
We can all talk, brag, wish about the CCW firearms we have or want, however for the knowledgeable user guns are much more personal than simply a try this recommendation. There are national level competitive shooters than can deliver rapid, accurate fire in a multitude of conditions who can shoot gun X to best effect and can't make gun y work, well others reverse the condition. For shooters with physical limitations different guns in the same caliber will perform very differently. Without a full discussion of drivers from hand size, eye sight, physical limitations such as arthritis, old broken bones, and financial resources you might as well just throw up a list of guns on the roster.

I agree with the poster earlier in this thread it's a one on one discussion, with people offering answer to a specific question vs, a laundry list. Much like the old adage in the military that armatures talk tactics and professionals study logistics. Novices talk guns, professionals talk implementations.

That’s a thread killer. However very meaningful point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2019, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarosa View Post
Initially I was going to put six guns on my card; different guns for different uses. I figured one gun for EDC, one for hiking, one for T-shirt and shorts, etc. I didn't want to be viewed as a "gun nut" so I pared it down to four.

In reality I have only carried one gun for every use, a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45. It is comfortable and comforting and works well for all my needs. When renewal time comes I will probably drop down to two, the Kimber and a Springfield EMP as a backup in case something happens to the Kimber.
I’d recommend you put several on there just because it allows you to transport them more easily.
Old 03-04-2019, 3:09 AM

My IA doesn't care what I carry (Canyon County, ID, but formerly San Benito), but I carry a P2000 9mm V1 (modified) and just bought a P30SK V1 in 9mm. The ergos on the P30SK are a bit better than the P2000, but both are sweet guns.
Actually, we don't "need" an IA in Idaho, but there is a hole in the PC where if you don't have a "license" issued by the DMV you can't technically conceal in a car. I don't think a LE would car as long as you notified (not required), but the license is worth getting. Of course after 6 months residency you get an Enhanced which is good in a bunch of states.

Back to carry: I really like hammer-fired for carry. The long pre-travel to full hammer cock is reassuring and thumb on hammer during re-holster is an additional safety measure. I wouldn't hesitate to appendix carry a P2000, either DA/SA or LEM, but 4:00 or so does for me what I need.
Old 03-04-2019, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
Performance Center ported M&P9 Shield + S&W 442

big difference from the standard Shield? I carry the Shield. It's the only gun on my Ventura CCW
Ventura, CA
Old 03-04-2019, 9:03 AM

Currently on my card:
Sig P938
HK P30SKS 9mm
Springfield EMP 9mm

I've only ever carried the Sig though--it is such a nice pocket gun.
Old 03-07-2019, 5:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Amended my carry to

G29. Hiking gun carried AIWB condition 1 with a Clip Draw and a trigger sheath. No spare mag.
Charter Arms Bulldog 44 worn AIWB with a Clip-Draw. Spare ammo in a speed strip
Smith 442 carried AIWB with Barami Hip Grip. Spare ammo in a Safariland speedloader.

I gave 4 - 5 O'clock IWB carry a chance but there is no quick way to get the pistol out while buckled up in the driver's seat and this is important to me.
Old 03-07-2019, 6:24 PM
Veteran Member

—G26
—G30S
—Walther PPS

Carry all in Sticky, or Clinger (same style), holsters.....they work well at the 4:00 spot....like the striker-fired

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020