Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 12-29-2020, 5:41 PM

Default Hiking

Any hikers out there?

I'm in Carlsbad. I hike several times a month for fitness. Goal is to get up a 10,000 ft mountain 2 or 3 times a month, more when training for big hikes. Do 2 or 3 hikes a summer in the sierras.

Right now I'm hiking mount woodson for fitness in the winter. 11 miles, 3.5 hours, 2500 ft elevation gain.

PM if interested in joining. Hikers tend to be granola eating liberals so it would be nice to see some gun toting conservatives out there.

--Jerry
Old 12-29-2020, 6:51 PM
Veteran Member

I’d join you but that some serious hiking.

Hopefully others chime in that are up to it and closer to your area.

NRA RSO and Pistol, PPITH, PPOTH Instructor
Old 01-17-2021, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

I've been a backpacker since 1960. Mostly the Sierra and the NorKal coastal range. Did day trips on both sides of the Grand Canyon, some loops in Joshua Trees, Carlsbad NP, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, & Zion. Was most active '60s & '70s, then life got in the way until my youngest son wanted to give it a try. Started back up in '04 and did about 6-8 trips a year until life got in the way of that crew. Now if I can catch 2 or 3 trips a season I'm doing good. Knocked off a few short chunks of the PCT and a bit of Yellowstone during my seasonal work in Idaho. I'm only good for about 10 miles if there's not tooo much up. I have gear to put about 27 people on the trail.

Dug out most of the internal packs to pre-check before we head out starting this season. Someone posted up a while back wanting to see some backpacks. Here's some of mine. Northface Renegade (Dana Designs Terraplane copy), Kelty Coyote 4750, Jansport Redline 45, Mt. Hardware Exodus (X2 one's hiding), Gregory (another Terraplane style), Osprey Aether 70, stack of day packs, Jansport Sortie 38 (X2), Mountain Smith Crosscountry II, Northface Terra 50. Also have half a dozen Camelbacks in various sizes.

The external frames, crappy old pics, I've added a couple different Jansport since. I also have enough tents to shelter 32 bodies (1s, 2s, 3s, 5, and 8), mess kits for each pack, 4 Coleman 2 burners, a 3 burner and oven, 6 single stoves (MSRs, Coleman Apexes, others).

Most all bought second hand, some were never used or only used once. I pick up all the decent gear I come across. Since '04 I've put about 23 rookies on the trail. In my retirement years, I'll be renting out gear. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

Last edited by echo1; 01-18-2021 at 9:36 AM..
Old 01-19-2021, 6:20 PM
Veteran Member

Impressive collection echo, I see the screen name there too.
Old 01-20-2021, 2:22 PM

I thought I had issues with collecting packs, but you, Echo1, sir, put me to shame. Impressive.

Since the beginning of this pandemic I hiked a lot (especially late spring and into the summer), working up to 5~6 miles, 2~ hours and under 1k elevation change on a casual weekend, with some of the longer hikes where I can commit more time being in the 8~10 mile range and 2k elevation change. Unfortunately, later on in the fall I had some knee issues and I feel like I'm back to square one again.

If you ever have an interest in coming up a bit north for some change in scenery to hike San Juan Trail (Sugarloaf or Old Sugarloaf peak), Sitton Peak, or Los Pinos Peak, it'd be cool to have someone to go with. Unfortunately, it looks like Santiago Peak will be closed until this October because of the Holy fire almost three years ago.

Gavin Newsom is a lying, cheating slickster and will be is the worst mistake California has ever made if he gets now that he has been elected Governor. Hollywood movie producers look to him and his oleaginous persona as a model for the corrupt "bad guy" politician character. This guy is so greasy, he could lubricate an entire arsenal of AR-15s just by breathing on them.
Old 01-20-2021, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Sam. I'm a garage sailor/thrift store junkie kinda Portagee. Craigslist can be hit & miss but you can stumble across good buys. I picked up a couple as new internal bags, a Northface "Terraplane" Expedition & a Hi-tec Tioga 65, 5 stoves, 2 lanterns and some filtration, while in Idaho for seasonal work. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 01-21-2021, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsbad View Post
Any hikers out there?

I'm in Carlsbad. I hike several times a month for fitness. Goal is to get up a 10,000 ft mountain 2 or 3 times a month, more when training for big hikes. Do 2 or 3 hikes a summer in the sierras.

Right now I'm hiking mount woodson for fitness in the winter. 11 miles, 3.5 hours, 2500 ft elevation gain.

PM if interested in joining. Hikers tend to be granola eating liberals so it would be nice to see some gun toting conservatives out there.

--Jerry
Where would you go for a 10k mountain 2-3 times a month? There is nothing in San Diego area that high. Everything here is in the 6000's.

I'm in for some hiking. Lately I've been hiking with my 5 year old, so just around 3-4 miles, but I'll do woodson with you.
Old 01-21-2021, 8:42 PM

Do Mt, Baldy just east of Rancho Cucamonga. (technically, its name is Mt. San Antonio)

There are a handful of routes to the top with the most popular being The Baldy Bowl trail. It is 4.5 miles to the top with 4k of gain. If youíre feeling really froggy then try the Bear Valley route which is 6 miles up with 6k in gain.

I used to do Baldy ALL the time when I was really into training. At my best (or nuttiest) I went up Baldy 6 times in 2 weeks. Itís a great training climb because itís high (10,066í) and you can get to it fairly easily.
Old 01-21-2021, 8:49 PM

Download alltrails.com

Look up 6 pack of peaks. Lots if people train on those before they hit the 14ners.

https://socalhiker.net/a-six-pack-of-peaks/

1. Mt Wilson
2. Cucamonga Peak
3. San Bernardino plan
4. San Jacinto
5. Mt Baldy
6. San Gorgornio
Old 01-22-2021, 4:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshot View Post
Download alltrails.com

Look up 6 pack of peaks. Lots if people train on those before they hit the 14ners.

https://socalhiker.net/a-six-pack-of-peaks/

1. Mt Wilson
2. Cucamonga Peak
3. San Bernardino plan
4. San Jacinto
5. Mt Baldy
6. San Gorgornio
Already got two of those this year. San G and San B might not be possible for 2021 due to the fire closures. I normally swap Mt Wilson out for Ontario Peak (because Wilson really is just a crappy peak with no views)

Tomorrow morning it is supposed to snow so I'm going up Baldy again to get some experience in. 12F and 20 mph winds. Fun times.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:05 PM

If you want the toughest of the toughest in SoCal (or pretty much anywhere else) do San Jacinto but do it from Palm Springs. The cactus-to-clouds route is a serious gut check. 10kí of gain in 16 miles. To me, thatís the ultimate trainer, although itís a feat in itself. Do not underestimate this or take it lightly because itís pretty serious business.
Old 01-26-2021, 6:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMtn View Post
If you want the toughest of the toughest in SoCal (or pretty much anywhere else) do San Jacinto but do it from Palm Springs. The cactus-to-clouds route is a serious gut check. 10kí of gain in 16 miles. To me, thatís the ultimate trainer, although itís a feat in itself. Do not underestimate this or take it lightly because itís pretty serious business.

Iím waiting for May or November. Theyíre the best times to attempt this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2021, 7:09 AM

Iím a hiking ham that does SOTA Summits on the Air.
I hike locally 3 miles+ a day.