Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 12-10-2022, 7:49 PM

Default San Bernardino CCW

I just had my CCW interview with SBSD. I was told one of my legally purchased firearms could not be on my CCW because there is no registration record of it from DOJ. Anyone ever had this come up? I bought the gun at an FFL dealer and Dros was run.
Old 12-11-2022, 4:10 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Well that sucks. I know how you can fix it, but it would require re-DROS and surrendering the gun for 10 days. Pawn/return.
Old 12-11-2022, 5:24 AM
Calguns Addict

That ^

But also, how long ago was it DROSed?

iTrader
Old 12-11-2022, 6:03 AM

Was originally bought and Drosed in 2003.
Old 12-11-2022, 9:22 AM

Default Pretty common

It seems pretty common that your IA checks for a valid record with DOJ for the pistols on your CCW. Sucks that your purchase wasn't recorded.
Old 12-11-2022, 9:49 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitraut View Post
Was originally bought and Drosed in 2003.
Tim or Nick at 7th St Pawn in Victorville can help you out if need be. I know it's a PITA but I'm not sure another way around it in your time frame. Maybe 2A Zone in Upland can offer you a similar solution if Victimville is too far, not sure but they are great folks and will know what you need to do to square it up.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:56 AM

I was told it’s to late to add it this time. I have to wait till I renew the CCW in two years!!!
Old 12-11-2022, 1:34 PM

Quote:
I just had my CCW interview with SBSD. I was told one of my legally purchased firearms could not be on my CCW because there is no registration record of it from DOJ. Anyone ever had this come up? I bought the gun at an FFL dealer and Dros was run.
I had a similar issue with a pistol, Turners either gave me the wrong pistol or they DROSed the wrong serial number. Fortunately, I kept the paperwork and took it to Turners. They filled out corrected paperwork and all was well. I would contact the FFL and tell them the problem; they should have the original 4473 & DROS to prove your ownership. Get a copy and send it to the SO.
Old 12-11-2022, 8:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I was told it’s to late to add it this time. I have to wait till I renew the CCW in two years!!!
Man, SB Sheriff is kinda a D**k. I was reading his requirements...no mags over 10 rounds, no .22's, and no adds/removals mid cycle...to name a few.

Not to mention he won't accept any gun unless it's registered...yet there has to be hundreds of thousands if not millions of guns that were purchased before registration became a thing.

What the heck does it matter? He's got the damn serial number of the weapon and if he's really worried, he can easily check to see if your gun is stolen. This makes no sense.

Sorry man.

Fighter Pilot
Old 12-11-2022, 9:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
Man, SB Sheriff is kinda a D**k. I was reading his requirements...no mags over 10 rounds, no .22's, and no adds/removals mid cycle...to name a few.

Not to mention he won't accept any gun unless it's registered...yet there has to be hundreds of thousands if not millions of guns that were purchased before registration became a thing.

What the heck does it matter? He's got the damn serial number of the weapon and if he's really worried, he can easily check to see if your gun is stolen. This makes no sense.

Sorry man.
Most IAs I’ve seen require that it is registered to you. My guess is should a LEO run the serial, and it’s not registered to you, it may be an issue. Hence, the IA wouldn’t want to list it unless they knew you owned it. Chicken and the egg dilemma.

But yeah, I don’t agree with some of SB’s policies, like mags or contacting your employer for GMC.

iTrader
Old 12-12-2022, 4:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Sorry man.
The SBC Sheriff has been one of the strongest supporters of concealed carry in this state. The policies are few and each has a reason. No adds/changes between renewals is there so the CCW division can focus on issuance of new permits and renewals, rather than updating valid permits everytime a permittee thinks they need to swap ouy a firearm.

Real 2A Patriots in San Bernardino County strongly support our Sheriff.
Old 12-12-2022, 4:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
The SBC Sheriff has been one of the strongest supporters of concealed carry in this state. The policies are few and each has a reason. No adds/changes between renewals is there so the CCW division can focus on issuance of new permits and renewals, rather than updating valid permits everytime a permittee thinks they need to swap ouy a firearm.

Real 2A Patriots in San Bernardino County strongly support our Sheriff.
It's great he issues and rides horses.

Those policies are just more crap California control politics. Always keep your thumb on the little guys.
Old 12-12-2022, 10:01 AM

I just found the original sales receipt for the gun. DROS was never completed by the dealer!!! They took my $ for it but never ran it!!!!
Old 12-12-2022, 12:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I just found the original sales receipt for the gun. DROS was never completed by the dealer!!! They took my $ for it but never ran it!!!!
So they released on undetermined
Old 12-12-2022, 12:57 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
So they released on undetermined
Which most of us would agree is a great thing, until you run into the CCW issue that is.
Old 12-12-2022, 3:39 PM
retired Goon

Quote:

Sorry man.
AFAIK...

San Bernardino County Sheriff Department implemented their requirements:
A. That the handgun to be listed on the permit must exactly match the firearm's AFS record in 1996.
B. The minimum and maximum caliber allowed in 2000, grandfathering of a restricted caliber was removed in 2014.
C. Adding/removing handguns for permits being done during the permit renewal process due to staffing shortages and the Board of Supervisors not willing to increase the budget for CCW issuance/renewals in 2018.
D. Large capacity magazines no longer being allowed in 2020 due to people kept asking the San Bernardino County DA's Office and San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors why the Sheriff Department allowed it and the Board of Supervisors requiring the Sheriff Department to no longer allow it, until the CA large capacity magazine laws are repealed.

The current San Bernardino County Sheriff was elected this year.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 12-12-2022 at 3:53 PM..