Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 02-13-2019, 6:14 AM
Peddler/ vagabond
CGN Contributor

Default Springfield {Imbel/brazil}1911 issues

OK, I had two Springfield 1911s , one in 9mm and the other in 45acp.
i was going to dump the 45 as cosign and hope fully get some money back but i sold it to a friend. both of these pistols seize up.
after a couple magazines they just completely seize and only work after messing with the slide catch and some times it even trys to walk out a bit.
any body with insight to this ?
anybody know any Contra Costa smiths to take to?
Old 02-13-2019, 8:20 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not certain what you mean by seizing up...perhaps you could explain what's happening in a bit more detail. Is it that the slide is locking back as though on an empty magazine?

Sometimes a worn / ill fitting slide stop might be at fault but we need more information.

If you remove the slide from the frame and insert a loaded magazine (it won't fire because there is no slide anywhere near the frame, but don't pull the trigger so the trigger doesn't hit the frame!)....look down to see if the projectile is hitting the slide stop.

Were there any modifications done to the pistol?

Sometimes it's something as simple as a worn slide stop plunger spring or a worn slide stop follower.

Also, if you prefer, Springfield Armory is known to have wonderful customer service

Last edited by mtenenhaus; 02-13-2019 at 8:32 AM..
Old 02-13-2019, 8:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My car makes a noise.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:09 AM
Peddler/ vagabond
CGN Contributor

The gun will just freeze . as in not move.
I have to disassemble them and reassemble to get it back to shooting. There is no galling or chips or mushrooming of any parts. The slide stop backs out a little under fire and again just stops dead.
And auto correct sucks on my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtenenhaus View Post
I'm not certain what you mean by seizing up...perhaps you could explain what's happening in a bit more detail. Is it that the slide is locking back as though on an empty magazine?

Sometimes a worn / ill fitting slide stop might be at fault but we need more information.

If you remove the slide from the frame and insert a loaded magazine (it won't fire because there is no slide anywhere near the frame, but don't pull the trigger so the trigger doesn't hit the frame!)....look down to see if the projectile is hitting the slide stop.

Were there any modifications done to the pistol?

Sometimes it's something as simple as a worn slide stop plunger spring or a worn slide stop follower.

Also, if you prefer, Springfield Armory is known to have wonderful customer service

Last edited by PachecoFTW; 02-13-2019 at 11:11 AM..
Old 02-13-2019, 11:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PachecoFTW View Post
The gun will just freeze . as in not move.
I have to disassemble them and reassemble to get it back to shooting.
The slide stop backs out a little under fire and again just stops dead.
To be crystal clear, when it completely stops, is that the time that the slide stop has backed out?

If so, that makes perfect sense because the slide can't move with the slide stop backed out.

If that's indeed the problem, then you have a problem with your slide stop detent retaining your slide stop.
Perhaps the detents were installed backwards?
They are two different sizes.

The smaller one goes forward towards the slide stop and the larger one towards the thumb safety.

If the slide stop detent is sitting correctly and engaging the slide stop, then look at the groove in the slide stop to see if the detent is properly engaging the groove.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 02-13-2019 at 11:18 AM..
Old 02-13-2019, 11:15 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Can you remove your slide stop pin with the slide notch NOT lined up? If so then what Randall said and that compounded. It’s not uncommon when a slide stop isn’t fitted properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk