Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-14-2020, 5:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
This suggests that the court will deny a PI if the state can get its act together. AS I recall, this is not the first time the Court has asked for an update. In other words, if the system actually works, the court may not believe that it presents an unconstitutional impediment to keeping and bearing arms, any more than the mandatory background check for purchasing a firearm.
The State getting its act together?
Where and when did that ever happened before in Californistan?

Old 02-14-2020, 5:52 PM

This tells me the Judge has plans,and we will all be doing this
Old 02-15-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
This suggests that the court will deny a PI if the state can get its act together. AS I recall, this is not the first time the Court has asked for an update. In other words, if the system actually works, the court may not believe that it presents an unconstitutional impediment to keeping and bearing arms, any more than the mandatory background check for purchasing a firearm.
Big if. Conversely, if the data shows that the state has not been able to get its act together, the probability of a PI that stays the system gets closer to 1. Based on anecdotal feedback, I would say that the new submission by CA-DoJ is going to show continuing failure of the background check system.

Edit: I went back and reviewed the declaration of Mayra G. Morales submitted on 11/18/2019, and unless CA-DoJ have implemented some software updates, I don't see how they are going to convince Judge Benitez that their background check system is working. The main problem is with rejects due to mis-match on address between CA D/L and AFS. If AFS has your address as 123 Main Street and your D/L address is 123 Main St., you are going to be rejected. The mis-match can be fixed with a software revision, but absent the software revision being implemented, you are going to be rejected. An additional fix can occur via manual update (change Street to St. in the example) to the AFS database each time there is a reject that needs researching, but that is going to take time and I don't know whether CA-DoJ procedure/workflow allows for editing AFS records.

Edit: Net-net, absent updates to the software (or manual edits to AFS data), I don't think the picture will have changed much from Mayra's 11/18/2019 declaration to what gets submitted on 3/13/2020.

March 13, 2020 is less than a month away. Tick-tock, tick-tock.

Last edited by aBrowningfan; 02-15-2020 at 9:56 PM.. Reason: See Edit: above.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:03 AM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Are people thinking this decision could be based on a technicality like "if your software were better the background checks would be fine"? What about the underlying idea that the entire bg check law is wrong? Are we presuming thats a lost cause due to firearm bg checks being ok?
Ammo is not a firearm and is not a controlled substance/product. Sure, CA can declare it to be controlled but then they could say the same about anything else they don't approve of. Where does it stop?
Old 02-17-2020, 5:59 AM

Comrade Sputnik, one doesn't question Party Bosses. The State had our best interest in mind.

One a serious note, totally agree with you. Perhaps our side thinks there is a better chance to win with this approach?
Old 02-17-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
Are people thinking this decision could be based on a technicality like "if your software were better the background checks would be fine"? What about the underlying idea that the entire bg check law is wrong? Are we presuming thats a lost cause due to firearm bg checks being ok?
Ammo is not a firearm and is not a controlled substance/product. Sure, CA can declare it to be controlled but then they could say the same about anything else they don't approve of. Where does it stop?
For the purposes of securing a PI, it would be an easier to make an argument that the DOJ's system doesn't even properly do what the law says it tries to do.

The thing which is really damning is that if an entry level software engineer candidate was asked to implement a fix for the mismatch address bug and couldn't do it in less than an hour, they certainly would not be getting the job.

It's such a trivial solution that by not having implemented it, the DOJ has demonstrated at best, technical negligence, and at worst a desire to maliciously obstruct ammo purchases, which in any case sway the decision towards a PI.

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 02-17-2020, 10:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi View Post
For the purposes of securing a PI, it would be an easier to make an argument that the DOJ's system doesn't even properly do what the law says it tries to do.

The thing which is really damning is that if an entry level software engineer candidate was asked to implement a fix for the mismatch address bug and couldn't do it in less than an hour, they certainly would not be getting the job.

It's such a trivial solution that by not having implemented it, the DOJ has demonstrated at best, technical negligence, and at worst a desire to maliciously obstruct ammo purchases, which in any case sway the decision towards a PI.
There is no reason to have an address match, have a gun in the “system” or any other nonsense. The NICS system works just fine instantly. The problem is DOJ doesn’t want to spend money on having a staff that can do instant BG checks for ammo.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
There is no reason to have an address match, have a gun in the “system” or any other nonsense. The NICS system works just fine instantly. The problem is DOJ doesn’t want to spend money on having a staff that can do instant BG checks for ammo.
When talking about address matching, I was referring to the reason why the AFS was turning up false positives. The fact that they can't even handle that shows how defunct the system is and why it would be easy to argue for a PI against it.

I know a pretty easy solution to the bug, but I'd rather not help the DOJ fix their system if it means having an ill functioning system causes a PI to be issued.

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."

Last edited by The Soup Nazi; 02-17-2020 at 12:55 PM..
Old 02-17-2020, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi View Post
When talking about address matching, I was referring to the reason why the AFS was turning up false positives. The fact that they can't even handle that shows how defunct the system is and why it would be easy to argue for a PI against it.

I know a pretty easy solution to the bug, but I'd rather not help the DOJ fix their system if it means having an ill functioning system causes a PI to be issued.
Any database analyst/developer with 1 year of experience writing database applications can make the change. Depending on which version of the Oracle database environment CA-DoJ has, it is as simple as selecting check boxes and entering the criteria to be checked. It is not rocket science, which is why I am thinking that the intent of the address mis-match is to specifically reject, which adds another hurdle ($19 fee and have to come back to the store in a day or two) to be cleared when purchasing ammunition.
Old 02-17-2020, 1:14 PM

Quote:
You are too kind. I think the 'real' reason is that CA-DoJ wants a system that is going to reject for mis-matches, and address mis-matches are the easiest to explain. It gives them plausible deniability.
Old 02-17-2020, 6:42 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Ok. I see how this could be the easiest route to a p.i. but I don't see how it'll stop the merry band of idiots in sac from just rewriting the regulations or rewording the same law next session and saying "look, we fixed it".

Eta. I guess we just have to wait and see what the good judge has to say. Maybe it won't be able to be brought back?

Last edited by Sputnik; 02-17-2020 at 6:44 PM..
Old 02-17-2020, 8:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
You are too kind. I think the 'real' reason is that CA-DoJ wants a system that is going to reject for mis-matches, and address mis-matches are the easiest to explain. It gives them plausible deniability.
Not in front of a federal judge.
Old 02-18-2020, 5:45 PM

Quote:
afaik feds aren't on board with letting California use NICS for ammo background checks. That's what tanked the previous attempt at the ammo background check law iirc.

(going off memory here though, but someone feel free to correct me)
Old 02-18-2020, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Exactly. AFAIK, the statute does not call for any of this, this is all administrative rule making intended to make it as difficult as possible for people to buy ammo. What, you have to re-register your gun every time you move? There is no plausible reason for this requirement, and it discriminates against renters over owners. The only thing that the system is required by statute to determine is if the buyer is a prohibited person. The rest is simply an awkward attempt to prevent "straw sales" of ammunition.
Old 02-18-2020, 7:41 PM

The judge will rule that the system dosnt work as intended and will cite the many different failures of said system.
It will be interesting to see his wording as his decsion will be picked apart by the anti gunners.
So I think we will see it go away but of course have that LONG didling around process for a couple of years,or decades
Old 02-18-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmann View Post
The judge will rule that the system dosnt work as intended and will cite the many different failures of said system.

It will be interesting to see his wording as his decsion will be picked apart by the anti gunners.

So I think we will see it go away but of course have that LONG didling around process for a couple of years,or decades
Yeah but when the system to register RAW didn't work they sure as hell didn't issue a PI.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFA777 View Post
Yeah but when the system to register RAW didn't work they sure as hell didn't issue a PI.
If you are referring to the 2016 BBAW registration, most of the complaints came at the end of the registration period. There isn't much opportunity to issue a PI to force CA-DoJ to re-open registration pending the outcome of the litigation. If the litigation results in an order to process the denied applications that is upheld on appeal, that is a different situation, than not being able to purchase ammunition on an on-going basis because of a mis-match between your CA D/L and the AFS record(s).

Edit: Further, if the Miller litigation results in the AW PCs being ruled to be unconstitutional, your issue just got solved with the resulting Freedom Week.

Last edited by aBrowningfan; 02-18-2020 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: See Edit: above.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmann View Post
My concern is what happens after the ammunition BG check is ruled unconstitutional but the ruling is stayed pending appeal. This isn't like the magazine ban, where magazines purchased during Freedom Week can continue to be possessed and used at ranges during the appeal. At some point, ammunition purchased during Ammunition Freedom Week will be used and then it will likely be back to the present address mis-match zombie system.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
My concern is what happens after the ammunition BG check is ruled unconstitutional but the ruling is stayed pending appeal. This isn't like the magazine ban, where magazines purchased during Freedom Week can continue to be possessed and used at ranges during the appeal. At some point, ammunition purchased during Ammunition Freedom Week will be used and then it will likely be back to the present address mis-match zombie system.
True but I am looking at a bigger picture as a good ruling for us can then be used as precedent for other cases,domino effect so to speak.The Anti groups have been doing that to us for decades so turn about is fair play.
Old 02-20-2020, 5:51 PM

Quote:
The problem is, California can't use the NICS system to do ammo background checks because federal law only allows its use for firearms. California can piggyback its ammo "check" on the purchase of a firearm if it wants, but it cannot legally use the NICS system when there is only an ammo purchase.

Editor/Founder
RestrictedArms.com
Old 02-21-2020, 10:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoystory View Post
The problem is, California can't use the NICS system to do ammo background checks because federal law only allows its use for firearms. California can piggyback its ammo "check" on the purchase of a firearm if it wants, but it cannot legally use the NICS system when there is only an ammo purchase.
Read what i wrote. No one is suggesting trying to use the NICS system for ammo.

What was said was, CA can do the same exact checks since only Californians can buy in CA. The state can do the same thing as NICS but they don't want to fund it. Thus, they created this BS system of having to be in the system or pay $19 for a background check for ammo. They know no one wants to pay that for ammo and has simply created a black market for ammo now