Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:54 AM

I'm asthmatic and had pneumonia dozens of times from the flu and colds. Getting the coronavirus would really be bad. My supplies:

- enough food/supplies to bunker down for weeks/months
- half/full face respirators with P100 filters (really for fires) to go out
- azithromycin and levaquine (last choice) for pneumonia
- nebulizer w/ventolin to breath reasonably
- whole bunch of OTC stuff for symptomatic relief of the flu/cold
Old 02-14-2020, 7:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Chicken soup, just like SARS...
Old 02-14-2020, 11:43 AM

Default Foaming Hand Sanitizer

Cheapest bulk foaming hand sanitizer I can easily find - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071KD2TJ3/
Old 02-14-2020, 12:25 PM

Default Stock up

Yeah I stocked up on some 91% rubbing alcohol last week. Oddly enough I hit the hand sanitizer stuff back in January; not sure its really "moved" like the masks have yet.

Also the little 8 oz bottles in bulk are great barter items. That's that I bought a bunch of in early / Mid January. The 3 - 12 oz bottles are still .24 an ounce the refills less:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0020VJTDG...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Cheapest bulk foaming hand sanitizer I can easily find - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071KD2TJ3/
Old 02-14-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwanghoops View Post
I'm asthmatic and had pneumonia dozens of times from the flu and colds. Getting the coronavirus would really be bad. My supplies:

- enough food/supplies to bunker down for weeks/months
- half/full face respirators with P100 filters (really for fires) to go out
- azithromycin and levaquine (last choice) for pneumonia
- nebulizer w/ventolin to breath reasonably
- whole bunch of OTC stuff for symptomatic relief of the flu/cold

I wish my wife, an asthmatic, would listen to you.
Old 02-14-2020, 1:08 PM

for the more paranoid, try Hibiclens:

https://www.amazon.com/Hibiclens-Ant.../dp/B00EV1D79A
Old 02-14-2020, 5:44 PM
Veteran Member

And don't pop the bubbles in your bubble wrap.

Most are made in China and the bubbles contain....air from China!

Old 02-15-2020, 8:02 AM

With all the prepping work that's going on, I'm wondering if stocking up on Hydrogen Peroxide and 70/91% rubbing alcohol would be good to disinfect surfaces. I believe some studies I've read said that you need at least 70% ethyl alcohol or 0.5% hydrogen peroxide to kill some strains of corona virus. I'm trying to figure out what the percentage needed for isopropyl alcohol to kill coronaviruses would be.
Old 02-15-2020, 8:31 AM

Default store

If you grocery shop, at all, its available at the grocery story for about the same. I added this to a recent Amazon order but its not really a discount; when something has a reasonable weight Amazon is not always "cheaper"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as what you need to kill it on a surface I don't have a clue; I did read in one of the many past threads that they were using bleach or chlorine on wipe downs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertear View Post
With all the prepping work that's going on, I'm wondering if stocking up on Hydrogen Peroxide and 70/91% rubbing alcohol would be good to disinfect surfaces. I believe some studies I've read said that you need at least 70% ethyl alcohol or 0.5% hydrogen peroxide to kill some strains of corona virus. I'm trying to figure out what the percentage needed for isopropyl alcohol to kill coronaviruses would be.
Old 02-15-2020, 8:33 AM

Default listen for her

This is probably really crappy advise because I did this once and am permanently single; but listen for her and prep for her. She doesn't like it though luck you are the one who has to live without her, you are the once to watch her suffer if not prepared, and so just do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
I wish my wife, an asthmatic, would listen to you.
Old 02-15-2020, 9:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertear View Post
We have only ever bought 91% alcohol as a disinfectant/cleaner for use around the house. Use full strength or water it down to 50/50 mix for a DIY hand sanitizer if your hands start drying out.

We buy plastic spray bottles from Waddle World and transfer the pumps to the alcohol bottles we buy there. Perfect fit after shortening the pickup tubes.

We only use the HP for medical work.

*The alcohol evaporates quickly and leaves no lingering stink like chlorine does. Very good for a quick floor mop up or food prep surfaces.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

ďI didnít know I was a slave until I found out I couldnít do the things I wanted.Ē
Ė Frederick Douglass --
Old 02-15-2020, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

The infectiousnes of normal cold/flu is a 2 on the scale used for that. This monster is at least as high as a 4 and possibly as high as 6.5 according to a paper by researchers at Los Alamos. While PPE and top notch personal hygiene are great ideas and will slow that down (assuming a majority of people use them) it is virtually impossible to achieve containment. If you aren't living in a plastic bubble continuously for the next year plus, odds are high you will catch it at some point.

Give up then? No way. By minimizing your exposure you may get a mild case rather than a severe one by lessening the initial intrusion of the virus into your system, giving your immune system a chance to ramp up in the early stages. If you do get sick, be aware of what a cytokine storm is and how to prevent or lessen it.

Keep abreast of news because it changes daily. Your strategies may need to evolve accordingly. Beware misinformation, there will be a lot of it
Old 02-15-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
The infectiousnes of normal cold/flu is a 2 on the scale used for that. This monster is at least as high as a 4 and possibly as high as 6.5 according to a paper by researchers at Los Alamos. While PPE and top notch personal hygiene are great ideas and will slow that down (assuming a majority of people use them) it is virtually impossible to achieve containment. If you aren't living in a plastic bubble continuously for the next year plus, odds are high you will catch it at some point.

Give up then? No way. By minimizing your exposure you may get a mild case rather than a severe one by lessening the initial intrusion of the virus into your system, giving your immune system a chance to ramp up in the early stages. If you do get sick, be aware of what a cytokine storm is and how to prevent or lessen it.

Keep abreast of news because it changes daily. Your strategies may need to evolve accordingly. Beware misinformation, there will be a lot of it

Please describe how to prevent or lessen it and what is needed to do so. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I am the father of a kid on the spectrum that likes to lick everything so I guess Iím screwed. Iím diligent but Iím not sure other people are when Iím not around.

On a side note I find it amazing that grown adults donít wash their hands after using the restroom. Itís One reason I donít like going to all you can eat self serve buffets. Everybody touches those serving utensils including those guys who did their business (#1 and #2) and made a bee line to the exit w/out so much as a courtesy rinse. Gross.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
Please describe how to prevent or lessen it and what is needed to do so. Thanks.
Reducing mortality from 2019-nCoV: host-directed therapies should be an option
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...305-6/fulltext

Quote:
All three coronaviruses induce excessive and aberrant non-effective host immune responses that are associated with severe lung pathology, leading to death.2, 3, 4 Similar to patients with SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV, some patients with 2019-nCoV develop acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) with characteristic pulmonary ground glass changes on imaging. In most moribund patients, 2019-nCoV infection is also associated with a cytokine storm...

In those who survive intensive care, these aberrant and excessive immune responses lead to long-term lung damage and fibrosis, causing functional disability and reduced quality of life.7, 8
I have heard:

Quote:
You need to go to the store and buy one of these: Pepcid, Tagamet, Adix, or Zantac.
Buy enough for you, xxxxx, xxx, and whoever you want to save, enough last 2 weeks.
This covers your H2 antagonist drug.

Buy enough Prilosec, Prevacid. or Nexium to do the same as above.

This covers the PPI Drugs. (Proton Pump Inhibitors)

Lastly, I'd buy a big *** bottle of benadryl or generic benadry. aka... diphenhydramine.
This covers your need for a H1 antagonist.

You know what benadryl does. But the H2 drugs work in the same way except on different histamines. The PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) stops monocytes from going into overdrive. (Monocytes = White Blood Cells)
The Coronavirus hits in a similar way to the flu. As it is a "Novel Virus" meaning the body has never seen anything like this... the body goes nuts, to the point that your own immune system kills you in something called a Cytokine Storm.
Upon onset of symptoms, and with suspicion of contact... yes, take all three at maximum dose (Per LABEL) and stop once illness has subsided.

... but do not have a reference to an authoritative source to substantiate it.

So, an H1 antagonist, an H2 antagonist, and a PPI... plus an NSAID (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc... not tylenol/acetaminophen) for anti-inflammatory and antipyretic. Generic is fine and will save you a bit. Two of the classes above are commonly used to treat stomach issues but it is their systemic effect that is of use here. This virus is new, you are not going to find any double blind clinically controlled studies to prove one treatment vs another. The most you can do is try to stay up on developments and position yourself to have and use the best options as new data emerges. I am not a doctor and cannot recommend a treatment, you must rely on your own best judgment here.

All over the counter stuff. Not the caliber of treatment you can get with prescription meds in a hospital but maybe a close second, you be the judge. Hospital may not be an option and can pose risks of its own during a pandemic.

All I can say there is do your own research to your own satisfaction. With 80% of pharmaceuticals or their precursors manufactured in China, if there's a medication you need (or think you might need) it is perhaps best to act while those are still on the drugstore shelves. I heard one mention that Chinese factories may not re-open until May 1.

DECODER RING:
H1 antagonist - Benadryl or it's generic equivalent (diphenhydramine)
H2 antagonist - Pepcid, Tagamet, Adix, or Zantac or their generic equivalent.
PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor) - Prilosec, Prevacid or Nexium or generic equivalent
NSAID (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug) - any of the following or their generics where applicable:
- aspirin
- ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- NOT Tylenol/acetaminophen!

As always, consult YOUR physician before beginning any course of treatment, and be sure to do your homework regarding drug interactions with regard to anything you might take.

Last edited by bruss01; 02-17-2020 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: a
Old 02-16-2020, 12:10 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Cytokine storm research article The cytokine storm of severe influenza and development of immunomodulatory therapy (Oddly, all Chinese authors ...)
Look at Table 1, "Summary of immunomodulatory therapy or strategies against severe influenza".

See also Cytokine release syndrome The context here is cancer research and treatment
Quote:
Patients with CRS are at a high risk of infection and the immunosuppressive treatment that is administered for the treatment of CRS can mask some of the signs of infection thereby delaying diagnosis and treatment of infection. In one study of 133 patients receiving CD19-targeted CAR T cell therapy, 23% of patients developed infection within the first 4 weeks after CAR T cell infusion [48]. The infections typically began after the onset of CRS. Among the 93 patients with CRS, 28 (30%) developed an infection.

Infections that occur in patients with CRS are predominantly of bacterial origin, followed by viral infections that primarily involve the respiratory tract. Fungal infections are rare
Quote:
Low grade CRS is treated symptomatically with antihistamines, antipyretics and fluids.
Severe CRS represents a life-threatening situation that requires prompt and aggressive treatment.
Old 02-17-2020, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
Reducing mortality from 2019-nCoV: host-directed therapies should be an option
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...305-6/fulltext

I have heard:

... but do not have a reference to an authoritative source to substantiate it.

So, an H1 antagonist, an H2 antagonist, and a PPI... plus an NSAID (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc... not tylenol/acetaminophen) for anti-inflammatory and antipyretic. Generic is fine and will save you a bit. Two of the classes above are commonly used to treat stomach issues but it is their systemic effect that is of use here. This virus is new, you are not going to find any double blind clinically controlled studies to prove one treatment vs another. The most you can do is try to stay up on developments and position yourself to have and use the best options as new data emerges. I am not a doctor and cannot recommend a treatment, you must rely on your own best judgment here.

All over the counter stuff. Not the caliber of treatment you can get with prescription meds in a hospital but maybe a close second, you be the judge. Hospital may not be an option and can pose risks of its own during a pandemic.

All I can say there is do your own research to your own satisfaction. With 80% of pharmaceuticals or their precursors manufactured in China, if there's a medication you need (or think you might need) it is perhaps best to act while those are still on the drugstore shelves. I heard one mention that Chinese factories may not re-open until May 1.
I see you got that above quote from this site: https://www.godlikeproductions.com/f...38/pg1#op_post

How trustworthy is the info posted there? At first glance it looks like a conspiracy site?
Old 02-17-2020, 8:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

I read that Hong Kong, over the weekend, had an armed robbery at knife point, the perps stole a truck load of Toilet Paper. Make sure your toilet paper supply is topped off.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 02-17-2020, 11:32 AM

Default inquiry

Just curious - do we import that from China like everything else or is that at least made here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I read that Hong Kong, over the weekend, had an armed robbery at knife point, the perps stole a truck load of Toilet Paper. Make sure your toilet paper supply is topped off.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbormaster View Post
Clearly if infected you don't really want to go to a hospital unless its dire right? You'd like to be able to "treat" the symptoms and survive the virus at home? I'm single so if I discovered symptoms at home I'd only call for help if I couldn't breath and would want to try and mitigate symptoms and let it take its course at home.

It seems to me like the snake oil salesmen are coming out of the wood works with the price gouging surgical mask sellers right now. I'm not a "big" holistic care kind of person I like real solutions; vitamins, staying hydrated and such I can see being beneficial. What I'm totally at LOSS on here is what would I have in my preparations to get through having the virus? Chicken soup? Vitamin C, Zinc? What should people be stocking up on?
Chicken broth and canned soup is always good to have around. I am going to buy some powdered Gatorade as I don't expect there to be issues with water. I have surgical gloves, goggles (different ones but most definitely you want those with indirect venting). Have procedure masks in case someone gets infected. But given the transmission rate I don't think you can ever be safe from infection. You just have to hope that as the virus mutates natural selection will reduce the mortality rate. Of course, we still do not know what that is though the "plague ship" should give us a very good idea.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
You treat a coronavirus infection the same way you treat a cold:

Get plenty of rest.
Drink fluids.
Take over-the-counter medicine for a sore throat and fever. But don't give aspirin to children or teens younger than 19; use ibuprofen or acetaminophen instead.
https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus#1

However ...
Quote:
Infections range from mild to serious. The virus can turn deadly if it leads to pneumonia, respiratory failure, or septic shock. Those most at risk of death are the elderly and people with weakened immune systems.
But if a coronavirus infection spreads to the lower respiratory tract (your windpipe and your lungs), it can cause pneumonia, especially in older people, people with heart disease, or people with weakened immune systems.
and
Quote:
Common Pneumonia Symptoms

Pneumonia symptoms can range from mild to severe, depending on what’s causing the illness and how healthy you are in general. They can include:

High fever, up to 105 F
Coughing up greenish, yellow, or bloody mucus
Chills that make you shake
Feeling like you can’t catch your breath, especially when you move around a lot
Feeling very tired
Loss of appetite
Sharp or stabbing chest pain (you might feel it more when you cough or take a deep breath)
Sweating a lot
Fast breathing and heartbeat
Lips and fingernails turning blue
Confusion (in older people)
https://www.webmd.com/lung/understan...nia-symptoms#1

So, generally, treat it like a cold until it goes to pneumonia, as indicated by high fever and shortness of breath.
Old 02-17-2020, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus#1

However ... and https://www.webmd.com/lung/understan...nia-symptoms#1

So, generally, treat it like a cold until it goes to pneumonia, as indicated by high fever and shortness of breath.

FINALLY... practical, understandable, sensible advice on how to deal with this thing (if) when you lose the lottery and are infected!

LIBRARIAN- Thank You for posting this. I have printed it for future reference, although I hope not to need it.

AA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-19-2020, 1:31 AM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Default Baking Soda good for ??

I found this while ordering something else, I am sure there are are "hundreds of uses" that we can learn from for this situation and in general. Me got some, info "sponge mode" now.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-pack-Ar...?selected=true

EDIT: Price has gone up since last night. Was $13.34 for 24 lbs.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Last edited by Maltese Falcon; 02-19-2020 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Phrase management...ha
Old 02-19-2020, 7:00 AM

Default Like rubbing alcohol

https://draxe.com/nutrition/baking-soda-uses/

Its one of those things it can be good to have a lot of; and I think its got a pretty decent shelf life but not sure. I have a high acidity level and my dr said it would be good to add a little to water routinely. I don't do it as much as I need to. Lemon juice is also supposed to help with that and I have an abundance of free lemons in the backyard so I do that more then baking soda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon View Post
I found this while ordering something else, I am sure there are are "hundreds of uses" that we can learn from for this situation and in general. Me got some, info "sponge mode" now.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-pack-Ar...?selected=true

Old 02-20-2020, 12:22 AM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Default Persistence of Coronaviruses on Inanimate Surfaces

Strange how we are becoming C-19 savvy (one can hope) as an added layer to the EQ and ZA prep mind set....

Got a little bit ready when whatever showed up on the CONUS some years back, but this is a next level league.

I remarked to my wife that this is an odd "emergency". You can see it coming in time and space and adjust as/if it nears. An EQ happens in an instant and you are ready or not.

You have more time to overthink this, haha.

Anyway found this article link, emphasis mine.

https://www.journalofhospitalinfecti...046-3/fulltext

Quote:
Summary
Currently, the emergence of a novel human coronavirus, temporary named 2019-nCoV, has become a global health concern causing severe respiratory tract infections in humans. Human-to-human transmissions have been described with incubation times between 2-10 days, facilitating its spread via droplets, contaminated hands or surfaces. We therefore reviewed the literature on all available information about the persistence of human and veterinary coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces as well as inactivation strategies with biocidal agents used for chemical disinfection, e.g. in healthcare facilities. The analysis of 22 studies reveals that human coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus or endemic human coronaviruses (HCoV) can persist on inanimate surfaces like metal, glass or plastic for up to 9 days, but can be efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62-71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite within 1 minute. Other biocidal agents such as 0.05-0.2% benzalkonium chloride or 0.02% chlorhexidine digluconate are less effective. As no specific therapies are available for 2019-nCoV, early containment and prevention of further spread will be crucial to stop the ongoing outbreak and to control this novel infectious thread.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho