Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 02-14-2020, 7:30 AM

Default Question: Does the receiving FFL need my complete DL #

Is there a legal requirement for the receiving FFL to have my complete DL#?

Given the amount of identity theft and having no control over the precautions, taken I prefer to blackout the this first and last digit of my DL when I ship a long gun to an FFL.

Is that a problem? I am specifically looking for the legal requirement not an FFL's individual policy.
Old 02-14-2020, 7:58 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I could never find the actual code in my ATF book. I think bound books confuse FFLs because the receipt section states:
From whom received (name and address or name and license number)
For other FFLs is is usually logged under FFL name and FFL license number x-xx-xxxxx. SOmetimes I log ffl name and address when I do not get their FFL.

For non-ffls I write in name, address, and DL number.

But, technically I believe I can log in a gun with no receipt info at all. I just need to explain. SO if I found a gun on a kids playground I am legally obligated to log it into my bound book because my FFL is attached to my name. I would just describe how I aquired the gun. This happens when private sellers do not include any info. I must log the gun in somehow so I usually write in the info from the shipping label.

As far as concerns over your DL info getting compromised I suppose it can happen. I always tell my clients not to write their SSN on my 4473s unless they have a very common name. But I am required to put their DL info on the 4473.

http://ALPHACATOUTDOORSUPPLY.COM
PHOENIX, AZ MIDDLEMAN TRANSFER DEALER
10 round magazine conversion service
CA compliance service
Machine gun/suppressor rentals
Private 10 acre range rentals
CA firearms/CA prohibited firearm storage.
MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...play.php?f=376
Old 02-14-2020, 8:06 AM

Thank you for the thoughtful and informative reply
Old 02-14-2020, 1:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dettorre View Post
Is there a legal requirement for the receiving FFL to have my complete DL#?

Given the amount of identity theft and having no control over the precautions, taken I prefer to blackout the this first and last digit of my DL when I ship a long gun to an FFL.

Is that a problem? I am specifically looking for the legal requirement not an FFL's individual policy.
No, there is no requirement to have any part of your DL number, nor is there actually any requirement that the dealer get a copy of your ID/DL, but many dealers have a policy to only accept the firearm if they get the information.

What the dealer needs is to know who the firearm is coming from. The easy way to do that is to ask for a copy of the person's ID/D, rather than just trust what the person claims is the informationL. A passport would also work, but not everyone has one. So you could blank out everything other than your name, address and enough of the expiration date, but still show that it is valid. The exact month and day is not needed. As said, it isn't a direct legal requirement. The legal requirement is to log who the firearm came from, nothing more and no specific requirements as to how that is to be done.

But with that said, the dealer might wonder why you would do that and what you are trying to hide, rather than understanding that you are giving them what they need and not additional things, so they might decide that they don't want to accept it from you.

The information that is needed is the person's name and address, as well that the ID is valid to ensure that the person didn't get an old, expired ID.

Personally, it would be acceptable, which I have received, a copy of the ID with everything but the name, address and the year it expires, if it is a future year, or the current year and future month.

It seems that many FFLs make things up and don't care much about reality.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 02-14-2020, 1:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post
SO if I found a gun on a kids playground I am legally obligated to log it into my bound book because my FFL is attached to my name.
No, you would not be legally obligated to log it into your bound book because you would be legally obligated to immediately turn it over to the police. What you should do in such a case is to call the police and not touch the firearm.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 02-14-2020, 2:55 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
No, you would not be legally obligated to log it into your bound book because you would be legally obligated to immediately turn it over to the police. What you should do in such a case is to call the police and not touch the firearm.
No way. I'm selling it. Only way I turn a profit is finding free guns in playgrounds.

BTW, no I am not legally obligated to turn found property over to police. Nothing in ARS. Nothing Federal. But as an FFL any gun transferred to me must be logged. Find me CFR or ARS that states otherwise. I never could find it.

http://ALPHACATOUTDOORSUPPLY.COM
PHOENIX, AZ MIDDLEMAN TRANSFER DEALER
10 round magazine conversion service
CA compliance service
Machine gun/suppressor rentals
Private 10 acre range rentals
CA firearms/CA prohibited firearm storage.
MY CALGUNS COMMERCIAL SALES SUBFORUM
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...play.php?f=376

Last edited by audiophil2; 02-14-2020 at 3:10 PM..
Old 02-14-2020, 3:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
Absolutely !!

So, now it is ironic that the State whittles away at the right of its citizens to defend themselves from the possible oppression of their State.
Judge Roger T. Benitez
LCM's ruled legal 3/29/2019
Old 02-14-2020, 3:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post
BTW, no I am not legally obligated to turn found property over to police. Nothing in ARS. Nothing Federal. But as an FFL any gun transferred to me must be logged. Find me CFR or ARS that states otherwise. I never could find it.
Wow, you had best check with your local police because there are requirements to turn in found property. You have to make an attempt to find the owner. A web search or calling your local police should educate you.

There is a timing aspect to firearms, there are actually cases where you don't need to log it. Go look at the BATF letter regarding assisting with private party transfers. See 4473 instructions for question 32.