Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:04 AM

I can't put my finger on a actual case where this happened but have read a few threads on this forum about people having their gun confiscated because it had a suppressor. Those threads may be for AR rifles

I did however contact a supplier of a "advertised" muzzle brake for the PCC and they replied that they will not ship to CA because their device is considered both a muzzle brake & flash suppressor. With that said there were a few low $ ones that clearly looked like suppressors but were advertised as brakes

I chose not to be the Beta user and find out the hard way at a range where DOJ or other LEO does a fly by for violations. You get 10 LEO's and there will be at least 3-4 different interpretations of a given gun law

After shooting the gun for 1000's of rounds, to me, it does not need a muzzle brake

Maybe for people who use the PCC in competition events where a brake makes it easier for the timer to hear.....but for the person shooting next to a guy with one at range, PIA
Old 01-07-2019, 11:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GLOCK30 View Post
I can't put my finger on a actual case where this happened but have read a few threads on this forum about people having their gun confiscated because it had a suppressor. Those threads may be for AR rifles
Link to those threads of people having rifles confiscated for FLASH SUPPRESSORS?
Old 01-07-2019, 11:33 AM
Calguns Addict

The Bakersfield guy had two SOUND SUPPRESSORS.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GLOCK30 View Post
Maybe for people who use the PCC in competition events where a brake makes it easier for the timer to hear.....but for the person shooting next to a guy with one at range, PIA
LOL, guys in competition don't put them on so the timer can hear. They put them on because a hundredth of a second could make the difference between winning and losing.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Some people see threads and they HAVE TO install something there. Free country. Do what you want.

I'd prefer a solid non-threaded barrel if I was seriously worried about it. If you are not installing anything I would rather not have the end of my barrel milled away. I'd rather a real crown. YMMV.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
LOL, guys in competition don't put them on so the timer can hear. They put them on because a hundredth of a second could make the difference between winning and losing.
On a 9mm carbine there really is not enough gas after 14"+ of barrel. I tested this theory by wrapping ONE layer of blue painters tape around the brake on mine.
It did NOT blow through the tape.

If you watch my video above, it looks like a lot of discharge coming from the comp, but again...no real pressure to work the comp.

I did in fact put the comp on my PCC's for the shot timer. Without, they are very quiet and if the RO is not right on top of you/the carbine, then it can miss shots.

I shoot USPSA and have shot in PCC division since they started it a few years ago. LOTS of fun.

What do hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 01-07-2019, 3:44 PM

Default On deck.... w/10 long days to go...

Screenshot_20190107-135811_Gallery.jpg

"When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power... like God must feel when he's holding a gun." - Homer
Old 01-07-2019, 4:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I found no recognizable recoil benefit to a muzzle brake on the Ruger PCC. My split times are the same with as without. I installed mine purely to increase the sound signature so the shot timer could pick up my shots during USPSA competitions. Without it, the shot timer obviously didn't pick up shots.

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue! - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 01-07-2019, 10:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Maybe you're so slow it doesn't matter.

just kidding
Old 01-08-2019, 12:03 PM
CGN Contributor

Here's a new handgaurd option:
https://www.guns.com/news/2019/01/07...-for-ruger-pc9
Old 01-08-2019, 12:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM6000 View Post
WOW. Nice to have another option, but $160-$180 for adapter? I assume you don't get a tube for that. I'd buy the PMM. Wish he could keep them in stock.
Old 01-08-2019, 1:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

yea i only want to the brake for the timer. i probably should have stated that as my main reason. the side reason is like i said, about some makers showing videos that their brake does offer reduced vertical muzzle rise.

not every RO will want to mess with their timer's sensitivity even though it was solve this issue for all PCCs instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM6000 View Post
that article make it seem like it is just for the adapter. and you would still have to buy the handguard since those are aero precision handguards.

at $160-$180 for just an adapter to use AR handguards..... i rather just buy the PMM unit or wait till magpul releases their complete stock like they did for the 10/22 takedown.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!

Last edited by Scratch705; 01-08-2019 at 1:04 PM..
Old 01-08-2019, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Anyone know of a active Parker Mountain Machine coupon code?
Old 01-08-2019, 3:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post

I hope he makes a ton of these. Coming soon...
These are in stock... you have to DM him on IG and request his Paypal info.

bkmiller556
Old 01-08-2019, 4:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Brian is also on Brian Enos forums under Bmiller.

A great guy to deal with.

What do hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Old 01-08-2019, 4:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBamBoo View Post
Brian is also on Brian Enos forums under Bmiller.

A great guy to deal with.

I am looking forward to receiving mine and installing it. They are $60.
Old 01-08-2019, 6:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Taccom has something like that too.

I still don't get the buzz about handguards. This isn't the kind of rifle that you would hang a lot of crap on. If it's just for a flashlight, it looks like the Catalyst (or MI) gadget would work well, as well as providing a flush cup for a sling mount. Mrgunsngear has one on his rifle for his review.
Old 01-08-2019, 7:37 PM

Going to join the PCC family in another 8 days. Keep looking at various stuff in here, lot's of great and interesting info., but honestly think I might just stick to the red dot. Can't wait to get it and shoot it!

Last edited by SigSauerP226; 01-08-2019 at 7:44 PM..
Old 01-08-2019, 10:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

I still don't get the buzz about handguards. This isn't the kind of rifle that you would hang a lot of crap on. If it's just for a flashlight, it looks like the Catalyst (or MI) gadget would work well, as well as providing a flush cup for a sling mount. Mrgunsngear has one on his rifle for his review.
Brian sells one without the rear sight relocation shelf for $30 also... but what sets his $60 mount apart is the co-witness once the rear sight is relocated and sits on the barrel half with RDS behind it.

Last edited by crufflers; 01-08-2019 at 11:55 PM..
Old 01-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Oh. I was just going to take the sight off anyway so I didn't notice that.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

for me, the handguard change is less about being able to add stuff to the gun. it is more about overall ergos and compactness when taken down.

i would like for the front handguard to be a bit longer to allow for a extended arm grip position like how i do for rifles.

the magpul backpacker made it so the two halves clipped into each other and made for a more compact unit when stored away (even holds 2 spare magazines iirc)

when you take down this PCC, the two halves just sit there apart. i would like for them to clip together, and also hold that spare 1-2 magazines.

rear stock can use an adjustable cheek riser/pad especially once you mount a red dot.

but these are all little nitpicks. the stock gear is just fine too. i actually like the grip texture that Ruger used in the front and rear grip hand grip area.

at the end of the day, it is really just being able to customize my gun to my tastes be it function or form (looks).

i want my PCC to look different from all the others out there.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 01-09-2019, 2:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
at the end of the day, it is really just being able to customize my gun to my tastes be it function or form (looks).

Yeah, most people it is just for the looks. I think it is pretty drastic... goes from looking like a 10/22 to a SCR AR-15 basically. I might grab a PMM someday - got close 3x already. If it was in stock I'd hit order.

I'd fix one up with PMM etc... and leave one pretty stock. Not planning on mounting anything more than possibly a light, maybe nothing. Just for looks is allowed.
Old 01-09-2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
These are in stock... you have to DM him on IG and request his Paypal info.

bkmiller556
Any heat issues with these? Im very close to pulling the trigger on one.
Old 01-09-2019, 3:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHH View Post
Any heat issues with these? Im very close to pulling the trigger on one.
No idea, but I'd guess that would depend on the RDS. I ordered one but have not received. I have a Nikon Spur on my PCC... I guess if it melts I will mount a spare RMR RM06. Have a high quality UTG low-mount for it just in case.
Old 01-09-2019, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

I run one of Brian’s prototype rear sight red dot mounts with a Vortex Razor.

I was worried about the heat...especially since it gets 110+ hear in the summer when I shoot weekly Steel matches.

So far, no issues. And YES....the sight gets HOT.

- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Old 01-09-2019, 4:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
for me, the handguard change is less about being able to add stuff to the gun. it is more about overall ergos and compactness when taken down.

i would like for the front handguard to be a bit longer to allow for a extended arm grip position like how i do for rifles.

the magpul backpacker made it so the two halves clipped into each other and made for a more compact unit when stored away (even holds 2 spare magazines iirc)

when you take down this PCC, the two halves just sit there apart. i would like for them to clip together, and also hold that spare 1-2 magazines.

rear stock can use an adjustable cheek riser/pad especially once you mount a red dot.

but these are all little nitpicks. the stock gear is just fine too. i actually like the grip texture that Ruger used in the front and rear grip hand grip area.

I would actually be surprised if Magpul made a stock for it. If they did, I doubt it would "clip together" because of the basic shape. Might be tough to fit any mag bigger than a 26 mag in the stock too.
Old 01-09-2019, 4:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I would actually be surprised if Magpul made a stock for it. If they did, I doubt it would "clip together" because of the basic shape. Might be tough to fit any mag bigger than a 26 mag in the stock too.

i dunno, i think magpul can pull it off. it probably won't look like this due to the bigger heft of the barrel. maybe instead of it clipping like that, they have it clip together from the top of the stock to the bottom of the handguard or even clip together side by side.

the stock can easily be hollowed out to fit 1-2 magazines of either g19 or g26 size. or just 1 g17 sized magazine. those in other states would be fine with the g17 magazine since they aren't limited to 10 like we are. heck, magpul and make it fit their glock pmag that holds 26 rounds. one of those is more than enough as a spare backup mag.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
yea i only want to the brake for the timer. i probably should have stated that as my main reason. the side reason is like i said, about some makers showing videos that their brake does offer reduced vertical muzzle rise.

not every RO will want to mess with their timer's sensitivity even though it was solve this issue for all PCCs instantly.

that article make it seem like it is just for the adapter. and you would still have to buy the handguard since those are aero precision handguards.

at $160-$180 for just an adapter to use AR handguards..... i rather just buy the PMM unit or wait till magpul releases their complete stock like they did for the 10/22 takedown.
His instagram post says "I'm trying to stay in the 160 to 180 range with the handguard included."
Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam View Post
His instagram post says "I'm trying to stay in the 160 to 180 range with the handguard included."
Yeah that's ok I guess. Not a fan of the open-top AR tube. I do like the looks of the PMM. I even like that other option with a light mount and QD points.

Perfect hand guard would be a PMM for $90 hahah. I mean, even $90 is a lot for an option most people don't really need. Does look BA though.
Old 01-10-2019, 7:54 PM

New look.

Last edited by JWHuey; 01-13-2019 at 9:17 AM..
Old 01-10-2019, 8:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks good!

- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Old 01-10-2019, 8:29 PM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I dunno, i think magpul can pull it off. it probably won't look like this due to the bigger heft of the barrel. maybe instead of it clipping like that, they have it clip together from the top of the stock to the bottom of the handguard or even clip together side by side.

the stock can easily be hollowed out to fit 1-2 magazines of either g19 or g26 size. or just 1 g17 sized magazine. those in other states would be fine with the g17 magazine since they aren't limited to 10 like we are. heck, magpul and make it fit their glock pmag that holds 26 rounds. one of those is more than enough as a spare backup mag.
Here's a PC Carbine next to a 10/22 in a backpacker stock for reference. The PC Carbine receiver is significantly longer, and note that the hand guard would potentially get shorter, which wouldn't be ideal.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9405.jpg (34.9 KB, 231 views)
Old 01-10-2019, 9:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHuey View Post
New look.

You paint that urself?

Old 01-11-2019, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
You paint that urself?
No. I had a shop Cerakote it.
Old 01-11-2019, 6:46 AM

Picking mine up tomorrow!

To each their own but why some of you changing the sights for? Stock sights seems good to me if anything i hate the tech sights on my 10/22.
Old 01-11-2019, 9:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
No. I had a shop Cerakote it.
Cost and Shop name/location?

Old 01-11-2019, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obpwankel View Post
Picking mine up tomorrow!

To each their own but why some of you changing the sights for? Stock sights seems good to me if anything i hate the tech sights on my 10/22.
From what I've been reading, the ruger receiver rail is too high to cowitness with a red dot. The lowest micro red dots out there are still too high. By removing the rear sight and adding a rail there, cowitness can be achieved. Furthermore, by mounting the rds directly to the barrel, when the barrel is detached/re-attached to the receiver, zero still holds.
Old 01-11-2019, 9:51 AM

Quote:
New look.
That is really sharp.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ghtw1ng View Post
By removing the rear sight and adding a rail there, cowitness can be achieved. Furthermore, by mounting the rds directly to the barrel, when the barrel is detached/re-attached to the receiver, zero still holds.
Correct... Brian Miller engineered and tested his design to co-witness. Obviously he had to get the rear sight relocation height just right.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Ugh, I forgot about the front sight. I hate cowitness. OTOH I don't want my red dot perched way up in the air on the standard rail either. I guess I could low mount the dot and the front sight comes off?