Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-07-2019, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
There's the crux of your problem.
He's already spent your money and has to keep bumping your work back behind new work to keep the cash flow coming in.
^^^ Bingo. Much like paying a contractor in full for a home repair or remodel.
Old 02-07-2019, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
I feel for you OP. That said, most places for custom work wouldn't take full payment in advance. Usually a deposit or percentage of the total. 1 year isn't unheard of for VERY well-known 1911 smiths. They are a small community and somewhat of a dying breed. There are several here on the CG pages that are known to be excellent 1911 smiths and do excellent work with excellent reputations.

I would say 'known gunsmith' is code word for a guy in a garage armed with a Dremel? Doubt a reputable 1911 smith would do what you say happened.

I would firmly, but in writing, request that your money and your 1911 be returned. You do have paperwork on it right? A trail of e-mails? Date/time and details of all phone calls right? If you don't I would suggest building your case first and then contacting the gunsmith. It could get ugly.
The "known" gunsmith will say, "I can't refund your money because I've already completed half the work." (usually a lie, of course).
Old 02-07-2019, 10:08 PM

Unlike surgeons & attorneys, any tinkerer can hang a "Gunsmith" sign & take your money.
I worked for a gun shop like that. The owner rented a lathe & a few tools, hung a sign in front of the store "Expert Gunsmithing." He also offered commissions to employees who recommended him. After I saw him ruin guns, I quietly warned customers not to let him near their gun.

A police officer gave him his Sig P226 to install night sights. He damaged the slide. Then when the officer asked for a replacement, the owner actually argued with him, then the owner's wife joined in the argument, saying, "Listen...if you're rude, you won't get anything." They ended up buying him a new gun....only after the officer threatened legal action.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:17 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

OP, please update the thread once you have a response from Stan.
Old 02-08-2019, 9:53 PM
Veteran Member

Gunsmiths, like custom knife makers, are often times amazing craftsman, but horrible businessmen. I personally would never give either any money up front, and in the case of a gunsmith, you get my gun when youíre ready to start working on it, not use it as a door stop for a year as I wait my turn for your magic to happen. There is absolutely no reason to pay for work up front. If thatís the way they do business, then i donít do business with them, regardless of how well known they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinVirus View Post
OP, please update the thread once you have a response from Stan.

Or even respond to it since you wanted everyoneís input
Old 02-09-2019, 4:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucky View Post
The RO package is $1270.00 wow. Good luck OP, hope you get this sorted out.
Yikes, on a kimber? I'd rather just buy a nicer gun.

If you buy a gun from me and fail to pass background, I will keep at least 50% of the sale price to compensate me for the time you've wasted of mine (sale and failed sale pickup), so if you're in doubt, don't buy my guns.
Old 02-09-2019, 4:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win231 View Post
Unlike surgeons & attorneys, any tinkerer can hang a "Gunsmith" sign & take your money.
I worked for a gun shop like that. The owner rented a lathe & a few tools, hung a sign in front of the store "Expert Gunsmithing." He also offered commissions to employees who recommended him. After I saw him ruin guns, I quietly warned customers not to let him near their gun.

A police officer gave him his Sig P226 to install night sights. He damaged the slide. Then when the officer asked for a replacement, the owner actually argued with him, then the owner's wife joined in the argument, saying, "Listen...if you're rude, you won't get anything." They ended up buying him a new gun....only after the officer threatened legal action.

Large OC gun shop by any chance??

If you buy a gun from me and fail to pass background, I will keep at least 50% of the sale price to compensate me for the time you've wasted of mine (sale and failed sale pickup), so if you're in doubt, don't buy my guns.
Old 02-09-2019, 5:52 AM

No response fron Stan yet. I sent an email requesting a completed project or refund by 2/14.

@ Packy14, 9mm 1911s are slim pickings due to our roster. The fit, finish and accuracy on the Kimber Target 9mm was far superior to the SA 9mm target. I've owned several of both and can attest to this. I've also owned the 1911s from the big 4, but wanted a 9mm due to cost to shoot and consolidating calibers.
Old 02-09-2019, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packy14 View Post
Large OC gun shop by any chance??
No. Simi Valley
Old 02-09-2019, 10:19 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

I would probably let it ride for a while longer. And you are only getting cosmetics done, no tuning. So after he does his work, you might be sending it somewhere else for a relaibility package and other tuning.

I wouldn’t be happy with just the machining if it was mine, I’d have to go for accuracy and reliability next. So I wouldn’t plan on having it for a while.

You need another gun to shoot while you wait

Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-09-2019 at 10:25 AM..
Old 02-09-2019, 10:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broham85 View Post
No response fron Stan yet. I sent an email requesting a completed project or refund by 2/14.

@ Packy14, 9mm 1911s are slim pickings due to our roster. The fit, finish and accuracy on the Kimber Target 9mm was far superior to the SA 9mm target. I've owned several of both and can attest to this. I've also owned the 1911s from the big 4, but wanted a 9mm due to cost to shoot and consolidating calibers.

With something like this, a significant element is the sense that the artist or craftsman values his customer. Great service is making the customer feel like he is the only client.

And I admire that you chose to simplify and own only one centerfire pistol.

I hope it works out to your satisfaction!
Old 02-09-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packy14 View Post
Yikes, on a kimber? I'd rather just buy a nicer gun.
They ARE nicer. I used to own 5 Colts and 5 Springfields for comparison, the 3 Kimbers I recently bought are nicer. Just saying.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
They ARE nicer. I used to own 5 Colts and 5 Springfields for comparison, the 3 Kimbers I recently bought are nicer. Just saying.
Nicer than Colt or downline Springfields really isn’t saying much. Now if you tell me they are nicer than SA Pro, you have my attention.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-09-2019 at 11:12 AM..
Old 02-09-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Nice than Colt or downline Springfields really isnít saying much. Now if you tell me they are nicer than SA Pro, you have my attention.
We are talking entry level Kimbers and entry level Colts and Springfields... those that are owned by ordinary mortals, like myself.

You and I know that the SA PRO is more expensive than most Les Baer. So that doesnt count.
Old 02-09-2019, 8:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well... for >2k I'd get a Dan Wesson (actually less than 2k) or try to snag a lightly used Baer. I picked up a never fired LB SRP for about that. But to each his own.

Speak of the devil. https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...&highlight=SRP

Last edited by Packy14; 02-09-2019 at 8:09 PM..
Old 02-10-2019, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinVirus View Post
So a part of me would say that you were lucky to get in.
I asked Chen about a custom gun and got quoted a 5+ year waitlist.

So a year sounds somewhat reasonable to me.
Old 02-10-2019, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win231 View Post
A police officer gave him his Sig P226 to install night sights. He damaged the slide.
Something similar happened to me at American Firearms & Gunsmith. I pointed out the damage, so Jan took a black Sharpie and scribbled over the area in front of me.
Old 02-10-2019, 4:08 PM

5yrs is a long time for a pistol. Almost makes me feel a little better, but I'm still waiting for their response.
Old 02-10-2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoka View Post
Something similar happened to me at American Firearms & Gunsmith. I pointed out the damage, so Jan took a black Sharpie and scribbled over the area in front of me.

Yeah I havenít heard anything but negative about Janís work and treatment of customers guns.
Old 02-10-2019, 4:14 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broham85 View Post
5yrs is a long time for a pistol. Almost makes me feel a little better, but I'm still waiting for their response.
Do you know Troy Harp? People pay him large amounts of money to build a 1911. Some up front, rest on completion. Sometimes waiting in excess of 18 months.

Reputable Smith's get really busy. I dont know many that delay projects just because, and definitely not because they are lazy.

I know we are not talking full build here. And like I said before I dont know why Stan didnt deliver at promised time, but I like what he does and I would have waited as long as it takes.

Lots of people like to rush a smith or hold his feet to the fire, then when they get rushed results they get upset.

I can understand your frustration though.
Old 02-10-2019, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madoka View Post
I asked Chen about a custom gun and got quoted a 5+ year waitlist.

So a year sounds somewhat reasonable to me.
Seriously, 5+ years???

I don't care if he had been an apprentice to Vulcan, or if he claims he can walk on water. That long a wait is stupidly insane.

My surgeon performs some complex surgery, some of the more complex surgery he performs puts patient's under general anesthesia for 7 to 8 hours. He is on his feet, he cannot go to the bathroom nor scratch an itch during the procedure. His concentration and stamina must be outlandish, his knowledge of human anatomy, encyclopedic.

Lets put that into perspective. A surgeon saving lives, doing a very complex surgery. Lasts 7 to 8 hours. Next, a custom gun builder asking clients to wait 5 years to finish a project.

OP, I sincerely hope you get your predicament resolved in an acceptable manner.

I am out of this thread.

Last edited by DArBad; 02-10-2019 at 7:08 PM..
Old 02-10-2019, 7:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yes, it's unreasonable. Stan is probably one of the top 10 1911 gunsmiths in the nation. He would take 1 year to 18 months for the most simple of jobs. Deal with it and wait till it's back. It'll be glorious.
Old 02-10-2019, 7:50 PM

Only thing that would concern me is that he quoted 6-7months and his website says the same 6-7 month lead time.

But Stan Chen is very well known, so I’m sure he will come through and you’ll be very happy with the end result. Although it does stink that it’s going to take at least twice as long as originally quoted.

That being said, I cannot believe this is your only centerfire pistol. In the year you’ve spent waiting, you could have bought 12 new handguns or even more via ppt. Shame on you. Lol
Old 02-10-2019, 9:42 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Seriously, 5+ years???

I don't care if he had been an apprentice to Vulcan, or if he claims he can walk on water. That long a wait is stupidly insane.

My surgeon performs some complex surgery, some of the more complex surgery he performs puts patient's under general anesthesia for 7 to 8 hours. He is on his feet, he cannot go to the bathroom nor scratch an itch during the procedure. His concentration and stamina must be outlandish, his knowledge of human anatomy, encyclopedic.

Lets put that into perspective. A surgeon saving lives, doing a very complex surgery. Lasts 7 to 8 hours. Next, a custom gun builder asking clients to wait 5 years to finish a project.

OP, I sincerely hope you get your predicament resolved in an acceptable manner.

I am out of this thread.
Too bad he is out of the thread. I wanted to make all sorts of arguments against using a surgeon as an example.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:07 PM

Any business that has a five year wait list is either severely understaffed or woefully inefficient.
The solution is to scale up in order to meet demand or raise prices to decrease demand.
Old 02-11-2019, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Seriously, 5+ years???

I am out of this thread.
Wait, don't go! I haven't told you about the whole interview process to first get on the waitlist yet.
Old 02-11-2019, 6:48 AM

Gives you an opportunity to have the very best work and to pay for it painlessly over time while you wait.

What’s to complain about?

If this bothers you........you’re not in to custom guns (gunsmiths)
Old 02-11-2019, 9:17 AM

In the mean time, go out and buy a RIA 1911 and have some fun with your new exclusive center fire handgun (exclusive at least for a while).
Old 02-11-2019, 1:55 PM

I sent a Glock off for work and was told it would take 6-8 weeks. I got mine back at 25 weeks. You have every right to be annoyed or pissed and should ask for a refund I had other pistols to keep me occupied though and was happy with the work
Old 02-11-2019, 4:55 PM

Only One center fire pistol. First time sending a gun to a gunsmith. Quick turn around. He paid first.

He chose one of the Gunsmiths in Colorado! OK Gunsmithing of Durango, Co.

Relax amigo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeJ3nryJer0

Now he comes here to complain about it.

Stay in your lane Bro.!

tipoc
Old 02-12-2019, 11:07 AM

Just wanted to update you guys that my pistol arrived today...

I spoke to Stan yesterday and he apologized for the long delay. Come to find out, he is recovery from a TBI. Being a vet myself, I felt like crap for pressing the issue but that was in the past.

He stated that he's day to day and slowly returning to the bench. This is a detail that was missed by myself after my last follow up. I apologized on my end and we both agreed that he would return the pistol.

He would also provide a refund for the slide work which included slide top serrations and barrel crown. Honestly, I don't think he's offering these anymore so I don't think I missed out on much.

Overall the pistol is some of the best work I've seen. It came well packaged with some swag and my refund check.

In conclusion, I have no ill feelings towards Stan Chen. I wished him a speedy recovery and would recommend his services to anyone that has the patience and a plethora of pistols, hahaha.

Here are a few pics...

Last edited by Broham85; 02-12-2019 at 11:24 AM..
Old 02-12-2019, 11:17 AM

Very good resolution!

Good for Stan.

tipoc
Old 02-12-2019, 11:29 AM

Sorry to hear of this situation - a year wait with $$ paid in full is not cool at all - however, at least you got it back now ...
----------------------------------------

Last edited by hkfooey; 02-12-2019 at 11:35 AM..
Old 02-12-2019, 12:16 PM

Good to know you got your gun back and some of your money.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Nicely done.

Most known good gunsmiths get backed up quickly, as they're usually one man operations.

My friend Randy (Hateca) has a >1 year wait for Remington 700 work/builds.
We became friends because he's an artist. Picky about function AND aesthetics. And a lathe wizard
Old 02-12-2019, 10:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Why would a gunsmith med your gun until he's ready to work on it? If he's backed up a year, went not just send him the gun 11 months from now?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Why would a gunsmith med your gun until he's ready to work on it? If he's backed up a year, went not just send him the gun 11 months from now?
Thatís a good point. Maybe take a reasonable amount as a deposit to reserve your spot, and then the smith can send you an email a month before heís ready to work on the gun. Maybe even email you a prepaid shipping label (paid by using some of your deposit money) to add a bit more to the customer service experience.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Only thing needs to be done to it now are; Undercut the trigger guard, blend the rear of slide and checker it and redo the finish. Do a top ribbing or checkering so it cuts down the glare, do a nice high gloss to the flats, thin the grips and do a 2.5lb trigger job. I really really like mine in that setup and did a Nickelene fisnish on the lower and a colt royal blue on the upper. Custom front sight, and Bo-Mar rear sight which is awesome. LOVE your gun though.
Old 02-13-2019, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

All I see is an overpriced kimber