Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-10-2019, 8:12 PM

Had 3 kick back months ago for of all things no proof of res for additional joint registraints, but they failed to register. No word since. Mine are all easy and basic configurations. Took off all accessories to not have them kick back and tell me something is what it actually is not.
Old 01-10-2019, 8:28 PM

I submitted registration for 12 assault weapons at 11:06 PM on June 30, 2018. On Saturday, December 29, 2018, at 8:45 AM, I received by e-mail 7 approvals and 5 kickbacks. The kickbacks were telling me to mark "interchangeable barrels" if it said MULTI on the receiver or to put the barrel's caliber markings when the receiver has no caliber markings and I had put "interchangeable barrels".
Old 01-10-2019, 8:31 PM

Submitted in June. Got email responses in November (some accepted, others incomplete). Immediately submitted updated applications. Got another batch of responses about 5 weeks later (some corrections accepted, several incompletes a second time). Again submitted immediate updates. Received letter 3 to 4 weeks after that for all items together.
Old 01-13-2019, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Rules View Post
Submitted in June. Got email responses in November (some accepted, others incomplete). Immediately submitted updated applications. Got another batch of responses about 5 weeks later (some corrections accepted, several incompletes a second time). Again submitted immediate updates. Received letter 3 to 4 weeks after that for all items together.
Thanks for the info. I just got all my emails, 7 months after reg completion, the other day and now I know what to expect.
Old 01-17-2019, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
Well, well, well. The beast is stirring. In my inbox this a.m. was an email from bofcris@doj.ca.gov asking for some edits to my application. I made the edits and re-submitted just now. I wonder how long to a confirmation email and then a physical registration letter?
The beast is up and walking about. Got the "The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration and will begin processing your submission." email this am. Looks like my long wait is coming to an end.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:26 PM

I sent in a de-registration request 11 months ago. As of two days ago, they told me they haven't gotten to it yet....
Old 01-25-2019, 2:18 PM

Letter arrived from Bureau of Firearms approving my BBAW registration (Yaaay!!!). Finally. What long wait. The 2000 AW registration was nowhere near what I had to go through this time around.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Jeebus... am I the only one?? 8+ months....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuseÖÖ..except for police.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:39 AM
From My Cold, Dead Hands
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
No !! 300 days and counting for me.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:57 AM

I’m still waiting for mine as well. I want my letter so I can still take an AR into CA to shoot at a range with my father. That’s why I haven’t switched my Registration and license here in AZ yet. Plus I had paid Reg fees in OCT and made the decision to move after the election in Nov.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:25 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J.F. View Post
I’m still waiting for mine as well. I want my letter so I can still take an AR into CA to shoot at a range with my father. That’s why I haven’t switched my Registration and license here in AZ yet. Plus I had paid Reg fees in OCT and made the decision to move after the election in Nov.
DOJ has taken the position that we're allowed to use our BBRAWs while our apps are pending as long as the app was submitted before the 7/1/2018 deadline, and as long as we use them in accordance with Registered Assault Weapon restrictions (transport unloaded in locked container, must be to/from an authorized location such as your home or a shooting range, and the range must not prohibit RAWs). Sorry I can't find the screenshot on my computer right now, but if you're really curious I can keep digging around for it.

And if you think about it, that makes sense. Why would it be legal to possess, but not legal to use? Either you're allowed to possess it and use it, or you're not allowed to possess it or use it... it can't be 50/50, especially in the absence of any law or regulation to that effect.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 02-06-2019 at 12:27 PM..
Old 02-06-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
DOJ has taken the position that we're allowed to use our BBRAWs while our apps are pending as long as the app was submitted before the 7/1/2018 deadline, and as long as we use them in accordance with Registered Assault Weapon restrictions (transport unloaded in locked container, must be to/from an authorized location such as your home or a shooting range, and the range must not prohibit RAWs). Sorry I can't find the screenshot on my computer right now, but if you're really curious I can keep digging around for it.

And if you think about it, that makes sense. Why would it be legal to possess, but not legal to use? Either you're allowed to possess it and use it, or you're not allowed to possess it or use it... it can't be 50/50, especially in the absence of any law or regulation to that effect.

I fully understand what your saying.

What I am saying is if I got my AZ license, registered my Car in AZ and I currently live in AZ. With out having RAW paperwork I could chance being arrested for far more than possession of a AW, but importation as well. Having the paperwork that I paid for in June 2018, while I was a resident of CA. I would be able to bring my RAW and paperwork along with installed BB and be legal.
Old 02-06-2019, 2:16 PM

BJF - youíre hitting on a question Iíve had - once a reg BBAW always a reg BBAW - even if I become a resident of another state and store the weapon outside of CA?

Job may allow me to move somewhere else for a few years, but if I come back, and become a CA resident again a Iíd like to still have some grandfathered ARs and AKs
Old 02-06-2019, 2:22 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J.F. View Post
I fully understand what your saying.

What I am saying is if I got my AZ license, registered my Car in AZ and I currently live in AZ. With out having RAW paperwork I could chance being arrested for far more than possession of a AW, but importation as well. Having the paperwork that I paid for in June 2018, while I was a resident of CA. I would be able to bring my RAW and paperwork along with installed BB and be legal.
Your worries make more sense now that you mention the change of residency (and driver's license, etc) to AZ. I still think you'd be legal, as CA RAW's do not automatically become un-registered as such when you leave the state, but I can understand your caution since an LEO very well might just "take you in and let the DA sort it out" on account of their own lack of comprehension of the RAW laws.

Once fully-registered with letter-in-hand, I do not think you need to worry anymore. CA DOJ says that it's fine to take your RAW out of the state and back in again, and they do not stipulate that you need to be a CA resident in order to do so (only that you needed to be a CA resident at the time you registered).

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs#8
Quote:
Can I travel outside of California with a registered assault weapon/.50 BMG rifle and then bring it back into California?

Yes, as a long as it is transported in accordance with Penal Code sections 16850 (in a locked container), 25610 (and you're citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years, not prohibited from having firearms, who resides or is temporarily within this state), and 30945 subdivision g (transporting it directly from one authorized place to another).

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 02-06-2019 at 2:37 PM..
Old 02-06-2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorDan View Post
BJF - youíre hitting on a question Iíve had - once a reg BBAW always a reg BBAW - even if I become a resident of another state and store the weapon outside of CA?

Job may allow me to move somewhere else for a few years, but if I come back, and become a CA resident again a Iíd like to still have some grandfathered ARs and AKs

Thatís why I want the letter I paid for. I canít help it they (CALDOJ) are incompetent, slow and drag their feet... yet give us a deadline to comply by.

There is no logical reason that it should take longer than a DROS and max of 30 days for them to review, approve, kickback for corrections or deny registration as well as completing a background check on someone who already owns weapons.

Those that registered should have had their letter in hand no more than 45 days from submission. Adding the extra 15 on top of 30 for mailing from their box to yours.

Cal Democrats pushed the law, Cal Democrats should eat the extra cost to finish what they pushed for.
Old 02-06-2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Your worries make more sense now that you mention the change of residency (and driver's license, etc) to AZ. I still think you'd be legal, as CA RAW's do not automatically become un-registered as such when you leave the state, but I can understand your caution since an LEO very well might just "take you in and let the DA sort it out" on account of their own lack of comprehension of the RAW laws.

Once fully-registered with letter-in-hand, I do not think you need to worry anymore. CA DOJ says that it's fine to take your RAW out of the state and back in again, and they do not stipulate that you need to be a CA resident in order to do so (only that you needed to be a CA resident at the time you registered).

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs#8

I know, I just want the freedom to bring in what I paid to have registered. The letter proves I complied while I was a resident. Moving to Free America was a dream with no plans in the works at the time of registration. We all should have had our letters in hand by now.
Old 02-09-2019, 5:56 PM

Necromancy is fun!

Today I got the emails for submission confirmation. My registration was submitted on 6/30. So, quite a bit of time to get to mine. Let's see how fast it progresses now...
"It is a precedent fraught with danger for the country, for when Congress once begins to stretch its power beyond the limits of the Constitution, there is no limit to it and no security for the people...the Constitution, to be worth anything, must be held sacred and rigidly observed in all its provisions."--Colonel David Crockett -- A.K.A. Davy Crockett -- -- Member of the U.S. Congress 1827-31 & 1832-35 --

Disclaimer: I pontificate I don't give legal advice.
Old 02-10-2019, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
I'm in the same boat as well. Now 7 months and nothing. Called to ask about it and all the girl said was that they had thousands to process.
Old 02-10-2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcd511 View Post
I'm in the same boat as well. Now 7 months and nothing. Called to ask about it and all the girl said was that they had thousands to process.
But at the end of each day, they have fewer to process than they had at the beginning of the day.... 2019 is young, and there is plenty of time ahead. Net-net, be patient.

The process with no mandated completion date, sucks big time. But there is an end point at some date in the future.
Old 02-10-2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -aK- View Post
Necromancy is fun!

Today I got the emails for submission confirmation. My registration was submitted on 6/30. So, quite a bit of time to get to mine. Let's see how fast it progresses now...
With any luck, you should be receiving your application approval letter in a couple of weeks from the date of the email stating they were commencing processing of your application.
Old 02-11-2019, 1:59 AM

Submitted mine maybe june 25,got email in October stating i had incomplete registration on both.needed me to send pics of barrel on one stating its 223,barrel isnt stamped,so put interchangeable.my sig 716,i needed to mark 7.62 nato instead of 308(morons) havent heard anything back since,as i also marked interchangeable.what a PITA this whole thing is.
Old 02-11-2019, 7:32 PM

I just got 1 notification of 5 total today for notification via mail
Old 02-12-2019, 4:03 PM

Submitted all of them 06/27/2018

Had a few kicked back and needed to update the form and add a better pic.

All 9 have been "In Progress" since 10/2018
First one started processing 8/19/2018
not a single one has been finished
Old 02-13-2019, 2:31 PM

Default Received Confirmation Email

Applied 6/18/18
Correction 8/28/18 for 5.56 (Multi) to Interchangeable Barrel
Additional Pic 1/4/19 for all lower markings? not sure why?
Confirmation Email 1/10/19
Received Letter 2/13/19
Old 02-13-2019, 4:07 PM

I got the "confirmation email" on December 5th but never got a letter in the mail. Over two months now...has anyone else had such a long period of time elapse between the two?
Old 02-14-2019, 9:55 AM

Don't do it! they're coming for you AR. there is no more 2nd amendment in komifornia.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myv View Post
I got the "confirmation email" on December 5th but never got a letter in the mail. Over two months now...has anyone else had such a long period of time elapse between the two?
That is a bit long. You might want to raise an issue and ask if the letter has been sent. If the letter was sent, then the postal service likely has lost/misdirected it. Fortunately, you can get a copy of the letter, it just costs $.