Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-17-2018, 6:52 AM

Hello all, I posted a while back and never gave an update. Anyway, below is the timeline of my experience.

1st interview: March 27, I brought all necessary paperwork and clerk made recommendations to tweak my good cause. She was very helpful.

2nd interview: April 12, brought revised documents, paid fee, took fingerprints, and took my photo.

Clerk said my good cause was solid. I had one documented incident so she said that I should have no problem getting approval. Pus I’m prior military so they do consider that as well. Lastly, she also mentioned that they are backed up so expect about 90 days for background to clear. I’ll report back as soon as I hear anything. All in all I feel pretty confident about it. We shall see.....
Old 04-17-2018, 7:04 AM

Also, I applied for the Sherrifs department back in 2004. Apparently I was still in their system and she asked why I never followed through. I told her that I got offered a more lucrative job so I ended the process during the background screening so as to not waste their time. The clerk made sure to document this on her computer. I’m not sure why it’s relevant but she did spend a good 5min asking me about my prior application to the department.
Old 04-17-2018, 7:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If someone who will be having an interview with SDSO could ask them when they'll switch to an online application process and post their answer here, that would be appreciated!
Old 04-17-2018, 8:24 AM

Is it rude to ask about your good cause statements? What are all of you applying with? Don't need details if it is too personal, but curious if you all are using the hiking in the desert or shooting competitions good cause.

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Old 04-21-2018, 9:29 AM

I applied for a dispatch position with SD Sherrif a few years back, made it to the long 3 hour questionnaire, and was told never to apply for any position with the Sherrifs department ever again because I smoked pot for a few years. Do you think this will be a cause for denial in their eyes?
Old 04-30-2018, 12:22 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

For those who have not noticed, SDSD has added a "CCW Counter" to their web site. Upper right hand corner. Don't know if this number includes Judicial and Reserves as well as civilians.

http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

Thanks to Paladin for the heads up...
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 04-30-2018, 12:51 PM

Default San Diego CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
For those who have not noticed, SDSD has added a "CCW Counter" to their web site. Upper right hand corner. Don't know if this number includes Judicial and Reserves as well as civilians.

http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

Thanks to Paladin for the heads up...

Wow. That number 1422 (as of the date this post) is lower than I thought the total number of CCW issued was before the recent about face.

It would have been interesting to know what it was before last November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2018, 1:10 PM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

4 Nov 2017: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...104-story.html

6 June 2016: http://www.760kfmb.com/story/3223827...aled-carry-law

12 June 2015: https://www.revealnews.org/article/w...san-francisco/

Those numbers just don't jive IMO....
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 04-30-2018, 1:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
Wow. That number 1422 (as of the date this post) is lower than I thought the total number of CCW issued was before the recent about face.

It would have been interesting to know what it was before last November
Here's from last June 30th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
The California State Auditor last Tuesday released their audit of Sac, LA and SD county sheriffs' CCW policies, procedures and practices, so we have a better idea of what is BS and what is truth for each of those 3 counties. See the discussion at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...4#post21027724

Surprisingly, San Diego county also had only minor issues with some renewals.

From p. 7 of the .pdf of the audit's report (emphasis added): To provide additional context, at each department we identified the number of active licenses. As of June 30, 2017 ... San Diego had 1,281 active licenses
While it is a gain of only 141 active CCWs, according to SDCGO they've had "hundreds" of CCW applications approved by Gore since Sept. So I'm sure that number (on the CCW counter) will increase relatively rapidly (assuming it is an actual counter linked directly to issuance process and not just a number posted on that webpage every now and then by some IT person....)

Last edited by Paladin; 05-07-2018 at 4:25 PM..
Old 04-30-2018, 1:52 PM

Don't forget there are people that might let their permit lapse, or are not eligible for renewal. That 200 increase since June of 2017 might actually be higher.

Old 05-07-2018, 2:14 PM

Just received my approval to begin training. It took 83 days from 2nd interview. Any discounts for calguns in the trainings?

"Every man dies, not every man really lives!"

Old 05-07-2018, 4:12 PM

Default San Diego CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryhenry View Post
Just received my approval to begin training. It took 83 days from 2nd interview. Any discounts for calguns in the trainings?

No discounts that I’m aware of.

Old 05-07-2018, 4:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Congrats!!!

Old 05-07-2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday View Post
This might sound like a ridiculously stupid question, but one of the questions is how many tickets/accidents you've had in the past 5 years. How do I go about finding out?
I renewed my driver's license in person recently and paid the $5 for an H6 printout that shows all that good stuff.
Old 05-07-2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Congrats!!! I have to put my CCW app on hold. It is turning out to cost more than I estimated and I'll probably have to get another firearm. I was going to use a Polymer80 build (still not built), but the whole serial number registration process seems to be a pain. Also, a shooting instructor at the Glock Store smirked at the idea of using a P80 for personal protection. I'm thinking of getting a Glock 27, Sig P229, or P320. The things that got me by surprise were the $300 course on laws/ethics plus the actual shooting course for another $200.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Unless you have "Cal Guns supporter" next to your Avatar I believe they will actually charge you more. Best to stay on the down low and not talk about it.
Old 05-08-2018, 8:39 AM

@coryhenry - Congrats man! I’m only 4 weeks out so it looks like it will be closer to 90 days. Crossing fingers....
Old 05-20-2018, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymez619 View Post
The things that got me by surprise were the $300 course on laws/ethics plus the actual shooting course for another $200.
Where are you seeing the $300 on laws/ethics? I've only seen $200.
Old 05-22-2018, 6:28 AM

Just picked up my permit yesterday....So its real!!

Old 05-24-2018, 11:52 AM

@coryhenry - Congrats man! Quick question. Who did you select for your 8hr training and how much was the fee? Thanks.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:18 PM

Sweet I just got my approval letter. Getting my training with Joel Persinger. $200

I’ve checked out a few instructors sites and they all charge $200.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:30 PM

Public Notice: Please stop calling/e-mailing your clerk at 60 days cause you are worried. It's just taking up more of their time. It's going to take 80ish days to hear back as of now. They thank you in advance for not being annoying.
Old 05-25-2018, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL-PRINCE View Post
@coryhenry - Congrats man! Quick question. Who did you select for your 8hr training and how much was the fee? Thanks.
I used Joel Persinger, $200

Old 05-25-2018, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardcompany View Post
Public Notice: Please stop calling/e-mailing your clerk at 60 days cause you are worried. It's just taking up more of their time. It's going to take 80ish days to hear back as of now. They thank you in advance for not being annoying.
I think being annoying is the only way to express your dissatisfaction with how long their process is taking. Its ridiculous that it takes 60 days for them to do a background check on me. Then having to wait for a board on top of that!

Old 05-25-2018, 8:29 AM

Quote:
I think being annoying is the only way to express your dissatisfaction with how long their process is taking. Its ridiculous that it takes 60 days for them to do a background check on me. Then having to wait for a board on top of that!
Being annoying isn't going to accomplish anything. More than likely, it will hurt our cause.

Apparently, some have forgotten where we came from and how we got here. 60 days does not seem unreasonable!

Many other nearby counties are running much longer than that.
Old 05-25-2018, 9:31 AM

Quote:
How long have you been active in this county and issue? They issued you a CCW for a GC that you would have never ever got in the past and you are "expressing your dissatisfaction"? You need a reality check. Being annoying to the clerks doesn't do anything as they don't make policy.

Man coming on Calguns every couple months never disappoints.
Old 05-25-2018, 9:54 AM

thank you San Diego County Gun owners, so glad to see good people get their CCW's!
Old 05-25-2018, 9:58 AM

Quote:
How long have you been active in this county and issue? They issued you a CCW for a GC that you would have never ever got in the past and you are "expressing your dissatisfaction"? You need a reality check. Being annoying to the clerks doesn't do anything as they don't make policy.

Man coming on Calguns every couple months never disappoints.
That's a good boy, lick the boots of your master, after he takes away your food be thankful for the crumbs he graciously throws to you. Don't talk back when he talks down to you. Don't you dare show any dissatisfaction with how he treats you....

sure do love being "free citizens."

Last edited by ECG_88; 05-25-2018 at 10:00 AM..
Old 05-25-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
That's a good boy, lick the boots of your master, after he takes away your food be thankful for the crumbs he graciously throws to you. Don't talk back when he talks down to you. Don't you dare show any dissatisfaction with how he treats you....

sure do love being "free citizens."
Ah I was wondering when the 3penisers no step on snek guys would jump in here.

Going through the CCW process already makes you a boot licker in your argument. So because you were annoying to the clerk you are now not a boot licker? I love cal guns.

Go back to putting punisher logos on things...
Old 05-25-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Ah I was wondering when the 3penisers no step on snek guys would jump in here.

Going through the CCW process already makes you a boot licker in your argument. So because you were annoying to the clerk you are now not a boot licker? I love cal guns.

Go back to putting punisher logos on things...
I am not a 3% at all, don't own any punisher stickers and havnt applied for a CCW. Most I have done is look into the process and ask some questions about it.

All I was doing here was pointing out your ridiculousness. How eager you are to show someone being ungrateful for having their rights taken away and then sold back watered down. They have every right in the world to be annoyed.

How dare you come on here and insult this entire forum with your BS.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I am not a 3% at all, don't own any punisher stickers and havnt applied for a CCW. Most I have done is look into the process and ask some questions about it.

All I was doing here was pointing out your ridiculousness. How eager you are to show someone being ungrateful for having their rights taken away and then sold back watered down. They have every right in the world to be annoyed.

How dare you come on here and insult this entire forum with your BS.
Insult this entire forum by telling people to not be annoying to the clerks? That actually somewhat makes sense for this forum.

Since you haven't applied because you are a non boot licking free American, let me share something with you... Currently (subject to change) after your 2nd appointment they tell you it is going to be 60-90 days but more so towards the 90 day limit. You don't need to follow up, you will get a letter in the mail one way or the other. So what good does someone getting annoying and asking why background is taking so long at day 70? The user above was told the situation months prior, how it was it a surprise it was taking that long? Everything I just said is already in this thread!? It hurts my head, do you do this at the DMV too?

I completely believe the entire process of asking for a right we should already have is difficult to deal with and I'm actually on your side 100%. The difference? I've been around this industry and county for along time. I encourage people to be professional and mature to the Sheriff's Office. I don't go around calling people boot lickers because they are pushing people to be professional to the clerks (aka don't call in the time window). Your voice shouldn't be for the clerks it should be used to help San Diego County Gun Owners and/or volunteering for Dave Myers. That is how change has and will happen.
Old 05-25-2018, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Insult this entire forum by telling people to not be annoying to the clerks? That actually somewhat makes sense for this forum.
No, I meant you are insulting this entire forum when you mention Calguns in the same breath as when you are disparaging this guy for expressing his annoyance. Or later when you mention "3penisers" and "So because you were annoying to the clerk you are now not a boot licker? I love cal guns."

Quote:
Since you haven't applied because you are a non boot licking free American, let me share something with you... Currently (subject to change) after your 2nd appointment they tell you it is going to be 60-90 days but more so towards the 90 day limit. You don't need to follow up, you will get a letter in the mail one way or the other. So what good does someone getting annoying and asking why background is taking so long at day 70? The user above was told the situation months prior, how it was it a surprise it was taking that long? Everything I just said is already in this thread!? It hurts my head, do you do this at the DMV too?
I am sorry, but are clerks not also acting in sort of a customer service capacity? Are they not there to answer questions about the process and status of applications? Im so sorry that they are annoyed about having to do their job. Its like someone in retail putting clothes away getting annoyed that someone is asking about another size shirt in stock... if only that person would stop bothering employees and let them get shirts on the rack.
Jeez that is their freaking job to help customers. If they are getting complaints from the clientele then maybe that should be relayed to their bosses so that changes can be made to make the customers happier. If they don't like their job, they can find another one.

The Clerks are pretty much the public portals to the whole process behind the scenes. Information is relayed by them even if they have no part in the decision making process. And it is not like people are harassing the clerks with death threats. It is just inquiries about the status. If the process takes longer than 60 days, maybe they should make that clear at the beginning, not that the process should take longer than a week. It is obvious that this is all purposefully drawn out because the sheriff doesn't care about making it more efficient.

If anyone is not being professional, it is the clerks and the Sheriff who think they don't work for a PUBLIC GOVERNMENT OFFICE and are SERVING the people.

Quote:
I completely believe the entire process of asking for a right we should already have is difficult to deal with and I'm actually on your side 100%. The difference? I've been around this industry and county for along time. I encourage people to be professional and mature to the Sheriff's Office. I don't go around calling people boot lickers because they are pushing people to be professional to the clerks (aka don't call in the time window). Your voice shouldn't be for the clerks it should be used to help San Diego County Gun Owners and/or volunteering for Dave Myers. That is how change has and will happen.
I seriously do believe you and appreciate that we are on the same side. However I believe it is possible to be professional and mature while still being upset about the process. I also believe that making an inquiry should be allowed no matter how the clerk feels about it. Too bad for the clerk. I don't believe people are being rude, they are just trying to keep the department accountable to the expected timelines.

If my boss asked me to get something done by the end of the week and then he checked on it around Thursday to see how it was going, I wouldn't mind. I would tell him the status so that he knows I am working on it and that it will be done when I said it would be done. Because what if I totally forgot about it or lost the work? He would come on Friday expecting the finished report and find out that nothing was done and he would have to wait another week. That is unacceptable and especially when it comes to public services. We have heard too many stories about people's applications dropped, lost, reshuffled to the bottom of the stack. It is all unacceptable and Gov employees especially should be held accountable.

Last edited by ECG_88; 05-25-2018 at 2:22 PM..
Old 05-25-2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
No, I meant you are insulting this entire forum when you mention Calguns in the same breath as when you are disparaging this guy for expressing his annoyance. Or later when you mention "3penisers" and "So because you were annoying to the clerk you are now not a boot licker? I love cal guns."

I am sorry, but are clerks not also acting in sort of a customer service capacity? Are they not there to answer questions about the process and status of applications? Im so sorry that they are annoyed about having to do their job. Its like someone in retail putting clothes away getting annoyed that someone is asking about another size shirt in stock... if only that person would stop bothering employees and let them get shirts on the rack.
Jeez that is their freaking job to help customers. If they are getting complaints from the clientele then maybe that should be relayed to their bosses so that changes can be made to make the customers happier. If they don't like their job, they can find another one.

The Clerks are pretty much the public portals to the whole process behind the scenes. Information is relayed by them even if they have no part in the decision making process. And it is not like people are harassing the clerks with death threats. It is just inquiries about the status. If the process takes longer than 60 days, maybe they should make that clear at the beginning, not that the process should take longer than a week. It is obvious that this is all purposefully drawn out because the sheriff doesn't care about making it more efficient.

If anyone is not being professional, it is the clerks and the Sheriff who think they don't work for a PUBLIC GOVERNMENT OFFICE and are SERVING the people.

I seriously do believe you and appreciate that we are on the same side. However I believe it is possible to be professional and mature while still being upset about the process. I also believe that making an inquiry should be allowed no matter how the clerk feels about it. Too bad for the clerk. I don't believe people are being rude, they are just trying to keep the department accountable to the expected timelines.

If my boss asked me to get something done by the end of the week and then he checked on it around Thursday to see how it was going, I wouldn't mind. I would tell him the status so that he knows I am working on it and that it will be done when I said it would be done. Because what if I totally forgot about it or lost the work? He would come on Friday expecting the finished report and find out that nothing was done and he would have to wait another week. That is unacceptable and especially when it comes to public services. We have heard too many stories about people's applications dropped, lost, reshuffled to the bottom of the stack. It is all unacceptable and Gov employees especially should be held accountable.
I think my sarcasm isn't coming off correctly. Calguns is entertainment for some of us.

I'll duck out and leave this thread to real information about the San Diego CCW process. But I'll just say if someone tells me 60-90 days for something and I call at day 70 and ask why its taking so long, I would frankly just feel stupid.
Old 05-25-2018, 4:49 PM
Calguns Addict

What is the live fire criteria by the way for class?
I assume you must bring all firearms listed and demonstrate with all three?

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 05-25-2018, 6:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
Sweet I just got my approval letter.
Congrats!!!

Two questions: (1) Are you a friend of Sheriff Gore's, either personal or professional? (2) How much money have you ever donated to a Gore election campaign? I ask these 2 questions since some folks in SD Co still believe those are 2 requirements before getting issued a CCW from Gore.

Quote:

Quote:
But I'll just say if someone tells me 60-90 days for something and I call at day 70 and ask why its taking so long, I would frankly just feel stupid.
No, no: keep interrupting them since that will help them process applications faster.... Not only that, it will give them a good impression of CCW applicants, so that they'll encourage the sheriff to issue more and more CCWs, you know, so that they get further behind in processing them and more and more people keep interrupting them. I'm sure if you try to see it from their perspective, you'll agree.

/sarcasm

Last edited by Paladin; 05-25-2018 at 6:32 PM..
Old 05-30-2018, 2:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post

It would have been interesting to know what it was before last November.
It said "1492" as of yesterday! A 5% increase -- 70 CCWs -- in 1 month!
https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

If this keeps up (70 every 4 weeks at the low end, 5% increase every 4 weeks at the high end), that means we'll be at 1,562 to 1,567 ~June 25th. SDSO should break 2,000 by the end of the year.

To put all this in context, OC, which is has almost the same population size and very similar demographics, expects to break 20,000 CCWers in 2019. But Hutchens has been readily issuing CCWs for several years. Hopefully, SDSO will switch to online applications, esp for renewals which can be handled all online, to increase the rate of processing initial apps.

IMO, just as important is we haven't heard of more people being discouraged from applying/continuing their application, or being denied because of insufficient GC.

Last edited by Paladin; 05-30-2018 at 2:18 PM..
Old 05-30-2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:

If this keeps up (70 every 4 weeks at the low end, 5% increase every 4 weeks at the high end), that means we'll be at 1,562 to 1,567 ~June 25th. SDSO should break 2,000 by the end of the year.

To put all this in context, OC, which is has almost the same population size and very similar demographics, expects to break 20,000 CCWers in 2019. But Hutchens has been readily issuing CCWs for several years. Hopefully, SDSO will switch to online applications, esp for renewals which can be handled all online, to increase the rate of processing initial apps.

IMO, just as important is we haven't heard of more people being discouraged from applying/continuing their application, or being denied because of insufficient GC.
All great news. Also I just heard as of today they are booking into August for the 1st interview.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, they've even changed the GC examples/requirements on the website.

Quote:
Evidence that there has been or is likely to be an attempt on the part of a second party to do great bodily harm to the applicant
Someone tried carjacking me at knife point in early 2015. I applied for my LTC shortly after that on similar GC as above and got denied. It's been a while since I looked back into it, but I don't remember seeing this type of GC as being acceptable. It's great to actually see some progress.
Old 05-31-2018, 6:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugershooter View Post
If I'm not mistaken, they've even changed the GC examples/requirements on the website.
If you're talking "changed" since early 2015, yeah. If you're talking changed since Jan 1st of this year, I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugershooter View Post
Someone tried carjacking me at knife point in early 2015. I applied for my LTC shortly after that on similar GC as above and got denied. It's been a while since I looked back into it, but I don't remember seeing this type of GC as being acceptable. It's great to actually see some progress.
So.... Are you going to reapply now?

All the cool kids are getting issued!

Old 05-31-2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
If you're talking "changed" since early 2015, yeah. If you're talking changed since Jan 1st of this year, I doubt it.

So.... Are you going to reapply now?

All the cool kids are getting issued!

Yeah, I'm talking about from 2015. I never looked back into getting it since 2015 when it was denied.
I'm in Texas now, so I don't need it