Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-02-2019, 3:02 PM

Default Intra-familial transfer paperwork

I have gifted my mother one of my 9 mm Shields. She's wanting to get her CCW in El Dorado county. I'm getting her a certified copy of her birth certificate from Contra Costa where she was born, but she only has one certified copy of her marriage license. the doj is asking for a passport or a marriage license + birth certificate if the name on her license does not match the name on her birth certificate.
If she sends all these certified copies to the doj, will she get them back? or do we need to get extra certified copies that we can just plan on never getting back?
I'm hoping someone with experience can comment whether or not they got their paperwork back.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2019, 4:51 PM

https://eldoradoca.permitium.com/ccw/start
You really need to directly get in contact with someone in EDCSO's ccw department. I also don't believe DoJ (a State of California agency) is asking for the documents. It should be EDCSO asking for the documents.

Try to deal with just one person or at least the CCW department and anything can change at a moment's notice. If originals are needed, supply originals. If you want originals for herself/yourself, get extra originals. If photocopies are OK, provide just the photocopies.

From what you're saying, it may be just as easy to also get your mother a passport to minimize the number of documents or just to have.
Old 12-02-2019, 5:01 PM

I have had several firearms given to me by direct family. All I did was the inter-familial paperwork. I did not have to send in any passport or birth certificate. B.
Old 12-02-2019, 6:14 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenBruce View Post
I have had several firearms given to me by direct family. All I did was the inter-familial paperwork. I did not have to send in any passport or birth certificate. B.
Starting 07-01-2019, if the person submitting the paperwork does not have a REAL ID compliant CA DL/ID, then they are required to provide additional documentation. [11 CCR 4045.1]

California Code of Regulations Title 11 Division 5 Chapter 4 Article 2 Section 4045.1
Additional Documentation Requirements for Eligibility Checks with Federal Non-Compliant California Driver License or Identification Card.
This section applies to all firearms and ammunition eligibility checks, including any eligibility check described in Division 5. For the purposes of this section, “eligibility checks” refers to background checks based on any application or report for which an applicant is required to submit a driver license or identification card, or the number from a driver license or identification card, so that the Department of Justice may determine the applicant's eligibility to possess a firearm or ammunition under state or federal law.
(a) For all eligibility checks, a copy of the applicant's California driver license or identification card, or out-of-state driver license, if applicable, shall be submitted, as specified in subdivisions (d) through (g).
(b) For all eligibility checks, if the applicant presents a federal non-compliant California driver license or identification card with the notation “FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY” on the front, the applicant shall also submit proof of lawful presence in the United States, as specified in subdivisions (d) through (g), in the form of one of the following documents:
(1) Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card.
(2) Certified copy of U.S. birth certificate.
(3) Certification of Birth Abroad (FS-545), Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350) or Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (FS-240), issued by the U.S. Department of State.
(4) Valid, unexpired foreign passport with valid U.S. immigrant visa and approved Record of Arrival/Departure (I-94) form.
(5) Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. Territory.
(6) Certificate of Naturalization or U.S. Citizenship.
(7) Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card.
(c) For all eligibility checks, if the applicant's name as it appears on the federal non-compliant California driver license or identification card differs from the name on the proof of lawful presence document submitted in accordance with subdivision (b), the applicant shall also submit, as specified in subdivisions (d) through (g), one of the following certified documents:
(1) An adoption document that contains the legal name of the applicant as a result of the adoption.
(2) A name change document that contains the applicant's legal name both before and, as a result of, the name change.
(3) A marriage certificate.
(4) A dissolution of marriage document that contains the legal name of the applicant as a result of the court action.
(5) A certificate, declaration or registration document verifying the formation of a domestic partnership.
(6) A dissolution of domestic partnership document that contains the legal name of the applicant as a result of the court action.
(d) Applications or reports submitted in a paper format.
For eligibility checks based on an application or report submitted to the Department of Justice in a paper format, copies of the documents required in subdivisions (a) through (c) shall be submitted along with the paper application. These applications and reports include:
(1) Certificate of Eligibility applications, pursuant to Penal Code section 26710.
(2) Firearm Ownership Reports:
(A) New Resident Report of Firearm Ownership, form BOF 4010A (Rev. 5/2019), pursuant to Penal Code section 27560.
(B) Firearm Ownership Report, form BOF 4542A (Rev. 05/2019), pursuant to Penal Code section 28000.
(C) Curio or Relic Firearm Report, form BOF 4100A (Rev. 05/2019), pursuant to Penal Code section 27565.
(D) Collector In-State Acquisition of Curio or Relic Long Gun Report, form BOF 961 (Rev. 05/2019), pursuant to Penal Code section 27966.
(E) Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Firearm Transaction, form BOF 4544A (Rev. 05/2019), pursuant to Penal Code sections 27875 and 27920.
(3) The application forms referenced in section 4142 of Chapter 7 of this Division 5 and amended for purposes of this division as follows: Dangerous Weapons License/Permit(s) Application, form BOF 030 (Rev. 05/2019), or Dangerous Weapons License/Permit(s) Renewal Application, form BOF 031 (Rev. 05/2019). These forms include options to apply for the following licenses/permits:
(A) Assault Weapon/.50 BMG Rifle Permit, pursuant to Penal Code sections 31000 and 31005.
(B) Short-Barreled Shotgun/Rifle Permit, pursuant to Penal Code sections 33300 and 33305.
(C) Destructive Device Permit, pursuant to Penal Code sections 18900 and 18905.
(D) Machinegun Permit, pursuant to Penal Code sections 32650 and 32655.
(E) Machinegun License, pursuant to Penal Code sections 32700 to 32715.
(e) Applications or reports submitted electronically via the California Firearms Application Reporting System (CFARS).
For eligibility checks based on an application or report submitted to the Department of Justice electronically via CFARS, copies of the documents required in subdivisions (a) through (c) shall be uploaded to CFARS as prompted during the application or reporting process. These applications and reports include:
(1) Certificate of Eligibility applications, pursuant to Penal Code section 26710 and Chapter 3 of this Division 5.
(2) Unique Serial Number Applications, pursuant to Penal Code section 29182 and Chapter 41 of this Division 5.
(3) Firearm Ownership Reports, including:
(A) New Resident Report of Firearm Ownership, pursuant to Penal Code section 27560.
(B) Firearm Ownership Report, pursuant to Penal Code section 28000.
(C) Curio or Relic Firearm Report, pursuant to Penal Code section 27565.
(D) Collector In-State Acquisition of Curio or Relic Long Gun Report, form pursuant to Penal Code section 27966.
(E) Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Firearm Transaction, pursuant to Penal Code sections 27875 and 27920.
(f) Applications or reports submitted electronically via the Dealer Record of Sale Entry System (DES), including applications or reports submitted pursuant to Chapters 8 and 11 of this Division 5.
For eligibility checks based on applications or reports submitted to the Department of Justice electronically via the DES, the firearm dealer or ammunition vendor shall examine the applicant's driver license or identification card. If the applicant's California driver license or identification card is federal non-compliant with the notation “FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY” on the front, the firearm dealer or ammunition vendor shall require the applicant to submit a copy of the document required in subdivision (b), as well as a copy of the document required in subdivision (c) if applicable. These applications and reports include:
(1) Application(s) to purchase a firearm. The firearm dealer shall confirm compliance with this subdivision on DES, as necessary during the application or reporting process. The firearm dealer shall keep a copy of the document(s) required in subdivisions (a) through (c) as part of the permanent record of the transaction described in Penal Code section 28215, subdivision (c).
(2) Applications to purchase ammunition, as described in Penal Code section 30370. The firearm dealer or ammunition vendor shall confirm compliance with this subdivision on DES, as necessary during the application or reporting process. The firearm dealer or ammunition vendor shall keep a copy of the document(s) required in subdivisions (a) through (c).
(g) Applications or reports submitted to other agencies that include fingerprint data to be used by the Department of Justice to determine the applicant's eligibility to possess a firearm or ammunition under state or federal law.
For eligibility checks based on applications or reports submitted to other agencies that include fingerprint data to be used by the Department of Justice to determine the applicant's eligibility to possess a firearm or ammunition under state or federal law, if the applicant presents a federal non-compliant California driver license or identification card with the notation “FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY” on the front, the agency shall require the applicant to submit copies of the documents required in subdivision (b), as well as a copy of the document required in subdivision (c) if applicable. The agency shall keep a copy of the documents required in subdivisions (a) through (c) as part of the permanent record of the application. The Department of Justice may request a copy of the document(s) at a future date. Applicants of these applications and reports include:
(1) Peace officer applicants, custodial officers, or transportation officers, pursuant to Penal Code section 832.15.
(2) Peace officers, pursuant to Penal Code section 832.16.
(3) Applicants for admission to a basic course of training certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training that includes the carrying and use of firearms, pursuant to Penal Code section 13511.5.
(4) Applicants for an explosives permit, pursuant to Health & Safety Code section 12101.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 12-02-2019, 6:49 PM

I misunderstood. This thread is just to get the mother of the OP to become the legal owner. I thought it was regarding what El Dorado County S.O. wanted for its background check.

I think getting the "Real I.D." &/or a passport (might as well get the passport card, too) is the better way to go in the long run.

Last edited by L-2; 12-02-2019 at 6:53 PM..
Old 12-02-2019, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
I misunderstood. This thread is just to get the mother of the OP to become the legal owner. I thought it was regarding what El Dorado County S.O. wanted for its background check.

I think getting the "Real I.D." &/or a passport (might as well get the passport card, too) is the better way to go in the long run.
You are correct. And quiet is also correct. Same thing I read.
This is to transfer ownership from myself to my mother.
She has a federal limits apply license, so she must send paperwork.
I am wondering if she will get her certified copies back.
I called DOJ, and a woman answered the operator line. (No clue)
She suggested that I get disposable copies.
That's fine for birth cert, I got her one today. But what about someone's passport? That's not disposable. My mother and father were married in Nevada, and only have one certified copy of their marriage license. It would be difficult to get another.
These documents need to be returned.

I'm not worried about EDSO, they are awesome. I got my CCW and other than the wait, it was easy. Renewal even easier.

I want to know if someone, with federal limits apply in their license, did a intra-familial transfer and got their paperwork back.

Maybe I'll just PPT it to her.

Old 12-02-2019, 7:07 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdigs View Post
You are correct. And quiet is also correct. Same thing I read.
This is to transfer ownership from myself to my mother.
She has a federal limits apply license, so she must send paperwork.
I am wondering if she will get her certified copies back.
I called DOJ, and a woman answered the operator line. (No clue)
She suggested that I get disposable copies.
That's fine for birth cert, I got her one today. But what about someone's passport? That's not disposable. My mother and father were married in Nevada, and only have one certified copy of their marriage license. It would be difficult to get another.
These documents need to be returned.

I'm not worried about EDSO, they are awesome. I got my CCW and other than the wait, it was easy. Renewal even easier.

I want to know if someone, with federal limits apply in their license, did a intra-familial transfer and got their paperwork back.

Maybe I'll just PPT it to her.
If she submits the Intra-Familial Report via CRIS, the additional documents just need to be uploaded (.img or .pdf) to the online submission.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 12-02-2019, 8:50 PM

I will definitely look into that. Thank you Quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-03-2019, 10:58 AM

I went online and transferred 3 pistols to my wife, all where bought under single shot exemptions
2 were approved, third one had to DROS at my local FFL
All 3 are on her CCW now in OC
Old 12-03-2019, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6pilot View Post
I went online and transferred 3 pistols to my wife, all where bought under single shot exemptions
2 were approved, third one had to DROS at my local FFL
All 3 are on her CCW now in OC
Does she have a real ID, or federal limits apply ID?