Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-01-2019, 3:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by donw View Post
CA compliant, or similar device, for a 22lr, "build", on a AR-15 lower, be obtained? or is one required?
Rim fire rifles are exempt from all that nonsense.
Old 12-01-2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
Only if the pistol is a Registered Assault Weapon.

An AR Pistol needs to have a fixed magazine to escape definition as an "Assault Weapon" under Penal Code section 30515(a)(4)(D). But if the fixed magazine has a capacity of more than 10 rounds, you create an "Assault Weapon" under Penal Code section 30515(a)(5).

Please note that the Assault Weapon provisions limited to "centerfire" rifles do not apply to the handgun provisions, therefore nothing changes because of the rimfire ammunition.
Well not the answer I hoped for but, thank you for the very accurate answer.

Man it sux in CA even a plinking gun still has a mag limitation. Even in Mexico when firearms laws were looser .22LR guns often had a FA function "just cause"

Ian Mmcullum of forgotten weapons did a cool video on a trejo model 1 Mexican .22lr plinker that had a true full auto selector pistol made in the 1970s? for the civilian market

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/tre...james-d-julia/

K: I don't "retire" my own kind, because we don't run...
Old 12-01-2019, 5:56 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by repoman1984 View Post
I'm in a similar situation, just enough spare parts, the parts aren't worth much second hand I have that little.22lR CMMG conversion bolt/chamber (older style) , Can anyone tell me which brand/style magazines tend to work the most reliable? black dog? CMMG ?
I put the adapter for the Smith and Wesson (M&P 15) mags in mine. The last round bho option didn't work as well as I would have liked but minus that its been flawless.
Spare Spikes lower and a Tactical Solutions M4 upper.

Last edited by Sputnik; 12-01-2019 at 6:05 PM..
Old 12-01-2019, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
I put the adapter for the Smith and Wesson (M&P 15) mags in mine. The last round bho option didn't work as well as I would have liked but minus that its been flawless.
Spare Spikes lower and a Tactical Solutions M4 upper.
I ended up getting some pristine second-hand cmmg 10 round magazines For an amazing deal from a fellow Cal Gunner. My bolt carrier adapter is cmmg brand so it does lock open on last round but it doesn't lock all the way to the rear like a real AR15 it locks halfway, so it'll make sure you don't dry fire that's super delicate rimfire firing pin but as soon as you remove the empty magazine the bolt will close. I might attempt to modify a special carrier holder but just the idea that I am not destroying the firing pin by dry firing it is enough for me.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

K: I don't "retire" my own kind, because we don't run...
Old 12-01-2019, 7:24 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by repoman1984 View Post
I ended up getting some pristine second-hand cmmg 10 round magazines For an amazing deal from a fellow Cal Gunner. My bolt carrier adapter is cmmg brand so it does lock open on last round but it doesn't lock all the way to the rear like a real AR15 it locks halfway, so it'll make sure you don't dry fire that's super delicate rimfire firing pin but as soon as you remove the empty magazine the bolt will close. I might attempt to modify a special carrier holder but just the idea that I am not destroying the firing pin by dry firing it is enough for me.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
The Black Dog mags work like that, too. I still have my old ones just in case I want to take the adapter out. I like the M&P mags though. They're really easy to load because you can pull the follower down and just drop rounds in.

One thing to keep in mind is what trigger group you use. Not sure if its just me or if its inherent to .22 ARs but I had zero luck with "good" triggers.
I tried Geissele SSA and it ended up doubling on me. I tried the Larue and the hammer wouldn't even stay cocked back when doing a function check (I'd love to see if it would go FA and just dump the mag but I'd hate the bad attention). In the end I found that the PSA "EPT" from my AR-10 project works ok and, most importantly, passes the function check.
Old 12-02-2019, 5:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for all the help guys. Sorry for the thread jack OP.

Hereís what wifey gets for Christmas!

1D6A2AAD-4441-4EFD-B7B3-4BE4F777D27A.jpg
Old 12-03-2019, 1:37 AM

Highly recommend the Nordic 22RB complete upper for 22LR AR builds.

Very impressed with it. 1:16 twist Stainless steel match barrel is super accurate, runs cheap 22lr ammo with zero issues, works great with a Larue MBT 2S trigger w/ the standard lighter spring. And i've been using black dog mags also with no issues. Fun, accurate, and reliable setup!