Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Coronavirus/COVID19 Temp Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Coronavirus/COVID19 Temp Forum This is a temporary forum for discussion, debate, sharing and helping each other during and in relation to the Coronavirus/COVID19

Old 04-05-2020, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

Default hydroxychloroquine doesn't do well vs COVID-19

http://theconversation.com/a-small-t...navirus-135484

Before anyone chugs aquarium water laced with hydroxychloroquine, they may want to look at the above article.
I never practiced criminal nor firearms law.Do not rely on my post, but consult your own attorney.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:35 AM
The Over Generalizer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post

Before anyone chugs aquarium water laced with hydroxychloroquine, they may want to look at the above article.
Studies are good. Some of the U.S. reports are that it appeared to work on people who weren't already very sick (as eluded in this article). We'll see what comes of the tests being done in the U.S.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

So people with little symptoms who are actively shedding the virus benefit significantly from this treatment, reducing the amount of virus they shed and reducing the chances of spreading.

But the benefit to the very sick with underlying conditions seems minimal.

And that's bad news and we should be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN compnerd View Post
When the middle east descends into complete chaos in 2-3 years due in part to the actions of this administration I'll necro post about how clueless I was.
Old 04-05-2020, 1:09 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting but no offense, I do not think this is news.

I remember reading days / weeks ago that NOTHING - including HydroxyChloroquine - has much luck against a severe / advanced case of COVID-19.

That’s part of why this virus is such a big deal & so concerning; we have no sure-thing, in the bag treatment, cure, vaccine....yet.

Yes; for patients with mild symptoms and / or in early stages of COVID, HCHLQ IS effective generally.

Once this gets too bad, you could be screwed....
Old 04-05-2020, 2:15 PM

Good thing all those flu shots has wiped out the flu. Almost no one dies of the flu, we can trust the CDC.
Old 04-05-2020, 3:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

The aquarium cleaner chugged by the idiot husband and wife was Chloraquine Phosphate.
* Augmenting primitive feelings of envy;
* Rejecting the sovereignty of the individual, subordinating him to the will of the government

http://www.wnd.com/2008/11/56494/
Old 04-05-2020, 3:34 PM

I personally know one person with COVID-19 and he had been taking hydroxychloroquine for 9 months for an autoimmune condition prior to contracting it. Same dose as they are prescribing for COVID-19. Didn't seem to do him a damned bit of good for him. Anecdotal, I know, but I thought it was interesting.
Old 04-05-2020, 4:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundraboomer View Post
I personally know one person with COVID-19 and he had been taking hydroxychloroquine for 9 months for an autoimmune condition prior to contracting it. Same dose as they are prescribing for COVID-19. Didn't seem to do him a damned bit of good for him. Anecdotal, I know, but I thought it was interesting.
But he had other issues right?
Old 04-05-2020, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadon View Post
But he had other issues right?
Only the autoimmune condition. Otherwise healthy male, late 40s, with a sudden-onset autoimmune condition. But no metabolic issues, hypertension or obesity. Kinda' weird.
Old 04-05-2020, 5:06 PM

There are tests that show ~90% recovery with hydroxychloroquine/azythromycin of patients who had severe respiratory impairment due to CV. I think it was Dr. Oz on FNC that was reporting the results of those studies, and recommends it be used for those that are falling into respiratory failure.
Old 04-06-2020, 7:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGood View Post
There are tests that show ~90% recovery with hydroxychloroquine/azythromycin of patients who had severe respiratory impairment due to CV. I think it was Dr. Oz on FNC that was reporting the results of those studies, and recommends it be used for those that are falling into respiratory failure.
Identify the test, please.
I never practiced criminal nor firearms law.Do not rely on my post, but consult your own attorney.
Old 04-06-2020, 8:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I want a silver bullet as bad as anyone but if the mortality rate is 2% without hydroxychloroquine/azythromyci, that means the recovery rate is 98% with standard treatment. 8% better than 90% with hydroxychloroquine/azythromycin.

Or do you just hate her so much you can't let go?
Old 04-06-2020, 8:10 AM

Default Results from a Controlled Trial of Hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19

ContagionLive ^ | April 4, 2020 | KENNETH BENDER, PHARMD, MA
The initial results from a placebo-controlled trial of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 indicate that patients hospitalized with mild illness recovered more quickly with addition of the drug than with placebo at the start of a standard treatment. The results also suggest that hydroxychloroquine might convey some protection against the illness worsening.

Zhan Zhang, MD, of Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan, China, and colleagues reported results from 62 patients randomized to receive either placebo or hydroxychloroquine 200mg twice daily for 5 days on admission in addition to standard treatment consisting of oxygen therapy, and unspecified regimens that could include antiviral and antibacterial agents, and immunoglobulin with or without corticosteroids.

"The data in this study revealed that after 5 days of hydroxychloroquine treatment, the symptoms of patients with COVID-19 were significantly relieved, manifesting as shorten(ing) in the recovery time for cough and fever," Zhang and colleagues reported . . . "
https://www.contagionlive.com/news/r...ne-for-covid19
Old 04-06-2020, 10:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

i do not understand the mechanism of action i personally think it may not be effective against "the virus" its more acting on your body possibly reducing mucus production acting in anti-hystamine
Old 04-06-2020, 10:54 AM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

The study the article references is already well known information. The drugs are most effective for people who don't yet have severe symptoms, as they are thought to help prevent the virus from taking hold in the first place, not clear your body of the virus once you are near death.

The same thing goes for wearing a mask or social distancing, neither cures a near death patient, but again that's not what they are for.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRAFAN View Post
ContagionLive ^ | April 4, 2020 | KENNETH BENDER, PHARMD, MA
The initial results from a placebo-controlled trial of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 indicate that patients hospitalized with mild illness recovered more quickly with addition of the drug than with placebo at the start of a standard treatment. The results also suggest that hydroxychloroquine might convey some protection against the illness worsening.

Zhan Zhang, MD, of Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, Wuhan, China, and colleagues reported results from 62 patients randomized to receive either placebo or hydroxychloroquine 200mg twice daily for 5 days on admission in addition to standard treatment consisting of oxygen therapy, and unspecified regimens that could include antiviral and antibacterial agents, and immunoglobulin with or without corticosteroids.

"The data in this study revealed that after 5 days of hydroxychloroquine treatment, the symptoms of patients with COVID-19 were significantly relieved, manifesting as shorten(ing) in the recovery time for cough and fever," Zhang and colleagues reported . . . "
https://www.contagionlive.com/news/r...ne-for-covid19
I put little credence in a study from China the results of which have yet to be reproduced outside of a country that hid so much from the world.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:14 AM

Default TDV Infection?

Stix213, I'm not sure that your logic (or any logic for that matter) will work on a patient who is exhibiting signs of a TDV (Trump Derangement Virus) infection . . . lol
Luckily, I was able to get to some TJ farmacias asap 2 weeks ago and stock up on Trump pills aka (HCQ) and am following the Indian Ministry of Health Council advisory that recommends that doctors treating COVID-19 patients take 400mg per week of HCQ to prevent infection. Unfortunately, a TDV infection could become fatal if the naysayer does not use the Trump pills in time due to his TDV if he gets infected with the WuFlu . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
The study the article references is already well known information. The drugs are most effective for people who don't yet have severe symptoms, as they are thought to help prevent the virus from taking hold in the first place, not clear your body of the virus once you are near death.

The same thing goes for wearing a mask or social distancing, neither cures a near death patient, but again that's not what they are for.

Last edited by CPRAFAN; 04-06-2020 at 11:19 AM..
Old 04-06-2020, 11:39 AM

Add zinc to the HCQ is what some are saying.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy joe View Post
Add zinc to the HCQ is what some are saying.
HCQ opens up the cells to take Zinc, but he body needs additional zinc to be available so the Zinc can go in. that article doesnt mention zinc at all. If you are not taking additional Zinc, its pretty much useless.

NRA Life Endowment Member - CRPA Member

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin, 1759
Old 04-06-2020, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1602030

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin, 1759
Old 04-06-2020, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberg View Post
HCQ opens up the cells to take Zinc, but he body needs additional zinc to be available so the Zinc can go in. that article doesnt mention zinc at all. If you are not taking additional Zinc, its pretty much useless.

The zinc hypothesis is just that, currently there is no scientific basis for understanding the mechanism (if there is one) by which hydroxychloroquine is therapeutic to this disease.

Always suspect to read a doctor claiming patients go from 'very ill' to symptom free within half a day. Severe symptoms arise from tissue damage, that damage doesn't simply resolve itself in a few hours even if the infection can be stopped in its tracks.
Old 04-06-2020, 2:29 PM
The Over Generalizer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Only the autoimmune condition. Otherwise healthy male, late 40s, with a sudden-onset autoimmune condition. But no metabolic issues, hypertension or obesity. Kinda' weird.
How is your friend doing?
Old 04-06-2020, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Only an autoimmune condition? Only? AIDS is an autoimmune condition. So, to say "other wise healthy" is a reach.
Old 04-06-2020, 3:31 PM

Let me just leave this here.

https://abc7.com/health/la-doctor-se...id-19/6079864/
Old 04-06-2020, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone shooter View Post
Good info:

Quote:
"Every patient I've prescribed it to has been very, very ill and within 8 to 12 hours, they were basically symptom-free," Cardillo told Eyewitness News. "So clinically I am seeing a resolution."

He said he has found it only works if combined with zinc. The drug, he said, opens a channel for the zinc to enter the cell and block virus replication.
Old 04-06-2020, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notpc View Post
Only an autoimmune condition? Only? AIDS is an autoimmune condition. So, to say "other wise healthy" is a reach.
I meant PRIOR to the autoimmune condition, which came on fairly recently, he had no health issues. He started taking the hydroxychloroquine because of it. IIRC it was either Lupus or Sjogren's disease that was diagnosed.
Old 04-06-2020, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp3056 View Post
How is your friend doing?
Stable, fever gone. Just feels like crap.
Old 04-06-2020, 5:38 PM
The Over Generalizer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Stable, fever gone. Just feels like crap.
I wonder how he would have fared without taking it. Juries out but I think it does help, this reinforces it.
Old 04-07-2020, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I want a silver bullet as bad as anyone but if the mortality rate is 2% without hydroxychloroquine/azythromyci, that means the recovery rate is 98% with standard treatment. 8% better than 90% with hydroxychloroquine/azythromycin.
Not when you are talking about the people that are already mortally ill and would die without the treatment. Those people ARE the 2% you are referring to. I thought his remarks about the ~90% recovery rate was from Italy, (maybe older than April 2) but he reports on a study from Wuhan on FNC on April 2.

The Wuhan data showed 80.6% decrease in pneumonia with hydroxychloroquine vs 54.8% decrease without it. If the over 1/2 of the 45.2% of patients who did not improve with the drug could be saved, as the study shows, that could potentially cut the death rate in half. That's huge when you are talking about lots of people dying of a fast spreading disease.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6146443114001#sp=show-clips

If the combo drugs are more effective than chloroquine by itself, all the better.
Old 04-07-2020, 6:44 AM

Dr. OZ to air show on it today i believe. he's been on Hannity alot.
Old 04-07-2020, 6:47 AM

the doctors are trying to find anyone thats bewn taking this for lupis or other whom has C-19.
zero as of yesterday but early days
Old 04-07-2020, 6:49 AM

i think Oz talked about another study or report, 1000 patients, 7 deaths.
Old 04-07-2020, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Not when you are talking about the people that are already mortally ill and would die without the treatment. Those people ARE the 2% you are referring to. I thought his remarks about the ~90% recovery rate was from Italy, (maybe older than April 2) but he reports on a study from Wuhan on FNC on April 2.

The Wuhan data showed 80.6% decrease in pneumonia with hydroxychloroquine vs 54.8% decrease without it. If the over 1/2 of the 45.2% of patients who did not improve with the drug could be saved, as the study shows, that could potentially cut the death rate in half. That's huge when you are talking about lots of people dying of a fast spreading disease.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6146443114001#sp=show-clips

If the combo drugs are more effective than chloroquine by itself, all the better.
No. No. No. You don't understand. It's all "fake news" since Trump is actually attempting to personally benefit. Haven't you kept up with The New York Times, Huffington Post, Marketwatch, and the like?

Donald Trump Has Stake In Hydroxychloroquine Drugmaker: Report

Quote:
President Donald Trump reportedly owns a stake in a company that produces hydroxychloroquine, the anti-malaria drug he has repeatedly touted as a coronavirus treatment even though his experts say there’s no strong evidence it works.

Trump “has a small personal financial interest” in Sanofi, the French drugmaker that makes Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine, The New York Times reported Monday.

In addition, Sanofi’s largest shareholders include a mutual fund company run by major Republican donor Ken Fisher, the paper said. Trump’s three family trusts, as of last year, each had investments in a mutual fund whose largest holding was Sanofi, according to the Times. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross also had ties to the drugmaker, the Times reported.

Trump’s “assertiveness” in promoting the drug contrary to the recommendation of top health experts “has raised questions about his motives,” the Times noted...
Of course... Trump has a distant financial link to a pharma giant that makes the drug he's been pushing to fight COVID-19 — but it's probably worth less than $1,000

Quote:
...Business Insider followed the paper trail and concluded that the holding has a maximum value of around $1,300, only slightly larger than similar holdings by Trump funds in Google parent Alphabet, FedEx, and the French bank BNP Paribas...
So... Whether it works or not, we should not be using it because, to a billionaire and a few millionaires, that $1,300 represents a conflict of interest; something no Democrat would ever be 'guilty' of, whether they did the same thing or not. Better to bash Trump, undermine any sense of 'hope' being portrayed, and allow people to die than let the President be even sorta/kinda right.
Old 04-07-2020, 7:09 AM

Testing how it impacts the speed with which the virus is cleared is just....goofy.

No one has asserted that it does that. The virus doesn't kill you, your immune response and/or opportunistic secondary infection kill you.
Old 04-07-2020, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
i think Oz talked about another study or report, 1000 patients, 7 deaths.
And those were people who were in respiratory distress already? If so, then the overall death rate would be much, much lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia View Post
No. No. No. You don't understand. It's all "fake news" since Trump is actually attempting to personally benefit. Haven't you kept up with The New York Times, Huffington Post, Marketwatch, and the like?
I refuse to read or view threads on those leftist TDS news wipes.

Quote:
So... Whether it works or not, we should not be using it because, to a billionaire and a few millionaires, that $1,300 represents a conflict of interest; something no Democrat would ever be 'guilty' of, whether they did the same thing or not. Better to bash Trump, undermine any sense of 'hope' being portrayed, and allow people to die than let the President be even sorta/kinda right.
"Never let a good crisis go to waste." - Rahm Emmanuel
Old 04-07-2020, 7:10 AM

https://abc7.com/health/la-doctor-se...id-19/6079864/

Quote:
Email

Health & Fitness
LA doctor seeing success with hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19
Ad Duration00:30
Current time00:00
Seek
% buffered
00:00
Duration01:59
Volume
EMBED <>More Videos
<iframe width="476" height="267" src="https://abc7.com/video/embed/?pid=6079913" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mend Urgent Care CEO Dr. Anthony Cardillo has seen promising results prescribing a malaria drug for severely-ill COVID-19 patients.
By ABC7.com staff
Monday, April 6, 2020 10:03PM
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A Los Angeles doctor said he is seeing significant success in prescribing the malaria drug hydroxychloroquine in combination with zinc to treat patients with severe symptoms of COVID-19.

Hydroxychloroquine has been touted as a possible treatment for COVID-19 by President Trump among others, but it remains controversial as some experts believe it is unproven and may not be effective.

The drug has long been used for treatment of malaria and conditions such as lupus and arthritis but is not technically approved by the FDA for COVID-19. The agency, however, is encouraging trials and has provided limited emergency authorization for its use to treat COVID-19 patients.

Dr. Anthony Cardillo said he has seen very promising results when prescribing hydroxychloroquine in combination with zinc for the most severely-ill COVID-19 patients.

"Every patient I've prescribed it to has been very, very ill and within 8 to 12 hours, they were basically symptom-free," Cardillo told Eyewitness News. "So clinically I am seeing a resolution."

Cardillo is the CEO of Mend Urgent Care, which has locations in Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys and Burbank.

He said he has found it only works if combined with zinc. The drug, he said, opens a channel for the zinc to enter the cell and block virus replication.
Old 04-07-2020, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwalt View Post
Testing how it impacts the speed with which the virus is cleared is just....goofy.
Not really. If everyone took it for a few weeks, it might stop the spread like vaccinations would.

Quote:
No one has asserted that it does that. The virus doesn't kill you, your immune response and/or opportunistic secondary infection kill you.
They can't find people who take hydroxychloroquine for other health problems who are also infected with China Virus. Oz wants to look at health records to try and find cases where people who regularly take it have become ill. It's possible that the immune response suppression factor is more important than the virus/bacteria fighting capability of hydroxychloroquine. That drug is supposed to make people who take it more susceptible to infections, not less.
Old 04-07-2020, 8:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capo View Post
The zinc hypothesis is just that, currently there is no scientific basis for understanding the mechanism (if there is one) by which hydroxychloroquine is therapeutic to this disease.

Always suspect to read a doctor claiming patients go from 'very ill' to symptom free within half a day. Severe symptoms arise from tissue damage, that damage doesn't simply resolve itself in a few hours even if the infection can be stopped in its tracks.
HQC is a known ionophore, it’s not a hypothesis
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4182877/

Old 04-07-2020, 8:59 AM
Veteran Member

Hydroxychloroquine works to keep the body's immune system from damaging and or killing itself.

That is all.
Old 04-07-2020, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

The media is pushing a vax. A Bill Gates vax. You'd be an idiot to get a vax for a viral infection.