Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-04-2020, 9:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Have your data backed up on unplugged media?

I used to have an eSata drive that I backed up my backup to, but not on this new machine.

I duped my backup data to a SATA 3 platter-drive, and wrapped it in a taped anti-static bag before all this Corona hit.

Just reminding y'all... one instance of your data is useless if the drive/devices fails, and pictures of your kids lives are worth a lot...
Old 04-04-2020, 10:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Have your data backed up on unplugged media?

I completely agree, it’s important. Keep data in a way your kids can get it too if you’re not there...

Take more than one approach. I take it overboard, but it’s important stuff.
Pay for an online backup service, it’s not that expensive.

I do online through IDrive. Highly recommended.
I have all our files online through Apple servers on iCloud.
I have the disks of our laptops duplicated every two weeks to our local always connected external drives.
I have a second external drive that I duplicated the primary drive every couple months and those two get moved back to the safe as soon as it is finished copying updates, put in water proof bag, and stored there.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old 04-04-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Just reminding y'all... one instance of your data is useless if the drive/devices fails, and pictures of your kids lives are worth a lot...
So true... With storage being so incredibly cheap these days, it's not terribly expensive to set up a mirrored storage solution, and a multi-instance catalog of system & data backups. It's also beneficial if you have trusted friends and / or family that you can "swap" storage space with. That way, if your house burns down - you can still get your data back. While "cloud storage" is another option, I would never store anything personal or private due to a perceived lack of security.
Old 04-05-2020, 6:31 AM

I image the hard drive every few months and use Carbonite. Done
Old 04-05-2020, 9:14 AM
Calguns Addict

This was really just a reminder for the n00bz, not the ninjas.
Old 04-05-2020, 3:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Then for the less computer savvy, why is it important that the word “unplugged” appears here?

1) because things that are plugged in are vulnerable to electrical failure, surge, flood and fire, being pushed off a desk and crashing on the floor, etc...
2) because anything plugged in can be compromised remotely with enough effort
3) because “Ransomware” on your computer could encrypt all your files locking you out until you pay a random (which usually does not help and you still don’t have your files, never pay). Instead, have copies of your files unplugged and inaccessible when the ransom ware installs itself and starts locking you out of your files; anything it can read at that time can be locked and encrypted so you cannot read them.

Following the multiple backups approach, you just destroy or erase that disk and use your safe backups. But if your only backup was another disk still connected it is also going to be compromised.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old 04-05-2020, 3:32 PM

Two mirrored drives in bays 2 and 3.

Then two more mirrored drives that are stored in the garage in a fireproof safe. I take them out periodically, hook them up to my main computer, and update them. Then it's back to the fireproof safe.

All four drives are bootable clones of my main drive. Carbon Copy Cloner.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 04-05-2020, 4:01 PM

After all this backing up... In at most 2 generations none of your family will care about 98% of the stuff you save.

Most of your kids wont even care.

If you even have more than a dozen photos of your grand parents how often do you take them out and look at them???

Of those old photos how often do you have no clue who all the people in the photo are?
Old 04-05-2020, 4:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A good reason to figure out how to share what are the best pictures and videos now, when you know where and when they are. My wife has over 100 GB of photos and videos of our kids and goings on around the house... but we’ve got a few hundred pictures deliberately shared to accounts that my kids will get access to and archive disks of the good stuff.

More than wont care... you’ll need to worry about can’t find... in the massive archive and no time to sort and mark files and events and people. Of course AI and software are doing a great job finding and marking pictures with relevance and that will just keep getting better. But too much will still be the issue to beat.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Old 04-05-2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozan View Post
After all this backing up... In at most 2 generations none of your family will care about 98% of the stuff you save.

If you even have more than a dozen photos of your grand parents how often do you take them out and look at them???

Of those old photos how often do you have no clue who all the people in the photo are?
Uh, you're not clear on the concept here. This has nothing to do with information intended to be passed down between families - although it could encompass that.

This is about recovering information that YOU would need to conduct YOUR current life. A simple example is that you will need to look up certain figures from a prior year when you file your taxes and stuff like that.

The intention here is not to provide provide an "heirloom" for others, but a recovery point for the computer owner when the day comes that it will no longer boot up..
Old 04-06-2020, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozan View Post

Uh, some of us care about our data? Many of us store far more than family pictures long term. I am an archivist and have many terabytes of different types of media stored indefinitely, and multiple levels of redundancy.

Hey if you don't care about data loss, good for you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk