Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 10-09-2020, 5:02 PM

Default Help with 6.5 creed build

I need help with a build. I have a savage 10 FCP McMillan that I want to convert to 6.5 Creed. I’m looking at a criterion steel barrel. Besides the barrel and magazine what else would I need for the conversion? Do I need to change the bolt head? If so which bolt head do I need?. Also do I need a barrel with a large shank or small shank? I’m a bit confused.
Old 10-09-2020, 5:02 PM

Also it’s currently a .308 forgot to mention that
Old 10-09-2020, 7:44 PM

Default Help with 6.5 creed build

Just swap the barrel out. It will be a small shank (if you measure it, it will be 7/8” in length).

6.5 Creed uses the same bolt head and magazine as .308 Win.

Action wrench and nut wrench, and Go/No-go gauges. You might want to grab a precision recoil lug and barrel nut from NSS (they’re my go to for Savage parts - super nice people). They carry the barrel you want as well.

I recommend you go over to Savageshooters.com and do some reading.

Last edited by jbj; 10-09-2020 at 7:49 PM..
Old 10-10-2020, 4:46 PM

thanks man
Old 10-17-2020, 11:54 AM

Yes, agree with jbj. A barrel swap is all you'll need. Looking at the pictures of you rifle in your other thread it appears to be a small shank. The small shank should be 1.055" and the large shank is 1.120". There are a couple of visuals to help also. The large shank factory barrels will have a step down in the barrel contour right after the barrel nut. Large shank barrel nuts will be shorter than the small shank one. Of course, if you have a set of calipers you can measure the daimeter of the barrel threads to be sure. The link below will have a couple pictures.

You can reuse the same barrel nut and recoil lug. There are varying opinions between the factory nut and lug versus the machined precision ones (like from NSS). I haven't really noticed the difference but it doesn't hurt to add the precision stuff since you'll have it apart. The swap is pretty easy to do. Youtube has some good videos also. Critierions are nice barrels for the money. I have two, one in 6.5 creedmoor and one in 284 win. Both will shoot. NSS has really good prices too and usually have something in stock.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...%20in%20length.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If the new recoil lug is bigger, make sure there's room for it in the stock.
Old 10-20-2020, 9:03 AM

Sometimes it can be difficult to remove a factory barrel. If you can't get it to budge, hit the barrel nut sparingly with a torch. When you see the sealant ooze out of the threads, then it's time to put pressure on the wrench.