Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Permit/License To Carry Training Classes & Experiences
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Permit/License To Carry Training Classes & Experiences Discuss Concealed Carry Permit/License classes here.

Old 02-15-2011, 6:34 PM

Default Lagomarsino Firearms Institute training

I would like to share my experience with Lagomarsino Firearms Institute. After some consideration, I chose to take my 16 hour CCW training with Wess at L.F.I. Not knowing what to expect, I was somewhat apprehensive. I was not to be disappointed. Wess gave an exceptional class, keeping it fun and lively. Not only did he cover all of the pertinent information, but he interjected the class with personal situational experiences helping you put everything in perspective. Our time spent on the range was safe and truly a blast. Wess gave great instruction in proper safe techniques helping many improve in form and accuracy. Unlike other qualifications I have had in the past, this course provided real world situations with emergency magazine changes.
In conclusion, if you are looking to get great safe training in a friendly comfortable setting, I would highly recommend Lagomarsino Firearms Institute.

On a side note if my class is a sample of the caliber of people that are applying for CCWs, Sacramento County is a much safer place. I could have not asked for a greater group of guys.
Old 02-15-2011, 6:47 PM

That's quite an endorsement. I'm going to seriously consider Wess's class (once I FINALLY hear back from EDSO about my CCW app ... it's been almost a month now!). I like the additional time spent on "perspective" and "context" as I feel you can always benefit from "situational awareness" information and advice.

16-hours of training? Is that the minmum for CA? Or is that just the Sacramento County minimum? Maybe it's not a minimum at all and just good time spent learning a new thing or two.

Wess (ccwtrainer) seems like a real standup guy based on the interactions I've had with and witnessed about him on this forum.
Old 02-15-2011, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15thaf5thbw View Post
That's quite an endorsement. I'm going to seriously consider Wess's class (once I FINALLY hear back from EDSO about my CCW app ... it's been almost a month now!). I like the additional time spent on "perspective" and "context" as I feel you can always benefit from "situational awareness" information and advice.

16-hours of training? Is that the minmum for CA? Or is that just the Sacramento County minimum? Maybe it's not a minimum at all and just good time spent learning a new thing or two.

Wess (ccwtrainer) seems like a real standup guy based on the interactions I've had with and witnessed about him on this forum.
16 hours is the maximum with 4 being the minimum. 4 hours is normal for a renewal. Larger departments like the 16 hour course a many applicants lack LE and military experience. Situational awareness is very important. All of my instructors for the past 18 years, at FTA, Firearm Training Associates in Yorba Linda have stressed it is equally important to know when not to shoot as it is to know when to. Avoiding a deadly force situation is what it is all about.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

Billy Jack
'The Force is strong with this one'

www.californiaconcealedcarry.com
Old 02-15-2011, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15thaf5thbw View Post

16 hours (or a 24 hour PC 832 course if required by all applicants) is the maximum. There is not statutory minimum that I've been able to find, however, a 4 hour course the the minimum required for renewal. The course length can be whatever the issuing authority desires or requires. I would think that the 16 and 8 hour courses are the most common with the PC 832 course being considered an equivalent course, if not required of all applicants.
Old 02-15-2011, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
16 hours is the maximum with 4 being the minimum. 4 hours is normal for a renewal. Larger departments like the 16 hour course a many applicants lack LE and military experience. Situational awareness is very important. All of my instructors for the past 18 years, at FTA, Firearm Training Associates in Yorba Linda have stressed it is equally important to know when not to shoot as it is to know when to. Avoiding a deadly force situation is what it is all about.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

Billy Jack

I know it's nit-picking, but there is no minimum for new licences, 12050 only specifies that it may be a maximum of 16 hours. The 4 hour minimum is for renewals.

Quote:
12050 (a)(1)(E)(i)For new license applicants, the course of training may be any course acceptable to the licensing authority, shall not exceed 16 hours, and shall include instruction on at least firearm safety and the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm. Notwithstanding this clause, the licensing authority may require a community college course certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training, up to a maximum of 24 hours, but only if required uniformly of all license applicants without exception.

(ii)For license renewal applicants, the course of training may be any course acceptable to the licensing authority, shall be no less than four hours, and shall include instruction on at least firearm safety and the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm. No course of training shall be required for any person certified by the licensing authority as a trainer for purposes of this subparagraph, in order for that person to renew a license issued pursuant to this section.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
I know it's nit-picking, but there is no minimum for new licences, 12050 only specifies that it may be a maximum of 16 hours. The 4 hour minimum is for renewals.
Although there is apparently no minimum for a new CCW, practice is to use the 4 hour class as a minimum standard for newbies. In 26 years of renewing CCW policies I have yet to see any less than 4 hours. True, there may be one I have yet to see but I go with established guidelines and practices. Legislative Intent? I doubt any department is dumb enough to issue a CCW with less than 4 hours of training.

Billy Jack

Old 02-16-2011, 2:27 PM

jptopz,

Thank you very much for the positive, kind words. You deserve recognition as well for sharing excellent information throughout the class and especially for shooting 100% proficiency with all of your guns, including your very nice Sig GSR that you have as your avatar.

Also, I can attest to what you're saying about the maturity and personal quality of the CCW applicants. 100% of the people who have come through my CCW classes have been exactly who you'd want carrying guns in public around you and your families. I'm so glad to see this occurring!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

15thaf5thbw,

In El Dorado County, Sheriff D'Agostini has chosen to maintain or continue with the previous policy of a minimum 8 hour initial course and 4 hour renewal course. With the current layout of my course material, I can certainly allow applicants who only need an 8 hour course to just attend Day 2 of my 16 hour initial course but, I would HIGHLY recommend that you choose to attend both days. You will benefit greatly from the added safety training, gun handling and especially the scenario discussions, amongst other things, in Day 1. The more training you have, the better off you'll be in any scenario. I believe this so much that I am personally attending 6+ professional firearms classes this year.

In my classes, I really try to keep everyone sharing experiences, ideas, knowledge and wisdom throughout the whole time. Most people have great information to share that we all can learn from. Here are my goals in order of priority:
  1. Safety
  2. Education
  3. Fun!!
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 02-17-2011, 2:23 PM

I attended Wes's CCL class as well.
The " in class" portion was informative. Open participation is encouraged. Which makes a comfortable environment for REAL learning.
The " on range/live fire" portion is safe as it gets.
You show yourself to safely and properly use a firearm, Wes will show you a very fun time on the range.

I am looking forward to training with Wes again.
Old 02-17-2011, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclsick6 View Post
I attended Wes's CCL class as well.
The " in class" portion was informative. Open participation is encouraged. Which makes a comfortable environment for REAL learning.
The " on range/live fire" portion is safe as it gets.
You show yourself to safely and properly use a firearm, Wes will show you a very fun time on the range.

I am looking forward to training with Wes again.
Saclsick6
Thanks I was hoping you guys would back me up with a posting. Nice bike in your avatar.
Old 02-25-2011, 6:09 AM
NRA Benefactor Member
CGN Contributor

I just visited Billy Jack's website (http://www.californiaconcealedcarry....acramento.html) and read the information for Sacramento County. Much of the information there is incorrect.

Last edited by Prestoked; 02-25-2011 at 6:11 AM..
Old 02-27-2011, 9:04 AM

Just to be clear, even though I'm pretty sure everyone here already knows this, Sac County requires 16 hours for their initial course and 4 hours for their renewal course. If anyone wants to know the requirements for any other county that I'm approved in, please call me (209) 401-0907, e-mail me ccwtrainer@live.com or PM me. I'm always glad to help.

This whole thing about the number of hours of training required by law as well as any information on Billy Jack's website is getting way off base. This started out as a positive thread regarding a few fun CCW courses that I put on. We should keep it as just that. If you've attend any of my courses and want to share your experiences, please do. Please take all other comments to other threads that are more relevant to your subject matter.

Thank you.
Wesley Lagomarsino, CA CCW Instructor - Alameda, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Yolo, Yuba, the Cities of Davis, Galt, Ione, Jackson, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Stockton and Tracy ... and many more to come ... and Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Maine, Oregon, Utah, Virginia & Washington

www.LFIguns.com - serving Sacramento, Reno, the Central Valley, Foot Hills and Bay Area
Old 03-14-2011, 9:01 AM

Thumbs up Excellent Training

So I took the OP's endorsement to heart and just completed a 2-day (Sat 3/12 & Sun 3/13), 16-hour CCW Training course provided by Wes. This was excellent training.

Wes is a very knowledgeable, competent, and effective instructor. His "course material" is spot on for what you "need" to know, and his personal and professional experience with firearms and CCW provides a plethora of additional valuable information, context, perspective, and just all around good-to-know kind of stuff.

On Day-1 we covered a lot on the law, but also more importantly HOW the law manifests itself in real-world scenarios; the certainty, vagueness, justice and injustice of it all, and A LOT on "situational awareness". This is practical, applicable "knowledge", not just "information". The class format was easy going and informal, but Wes did make a point to ensure he covered all that was necessary to be covered, and more ... much more.

Day-2 was a bit more on the law, but we also got to shoot. And we shot a lot. It was THE MOST FUN I've ever had shooting any of my pistols. Wes is a GREAT range instructor. In addition to (obviously) being a very competent shooter, he's very knowledgeable and attentive to proper procedure and detail, which keeps you focused on being safe. So I felt very comfortable shooting along with 8 other guys. One thing that made it clear that Wes is a good instructor is that he allows everyone to continue to do what "works for them" as long as that is NOT something that is unsafe and dangerous. Improper actions are caught and corrected, but where this is not the case advice and pointers are provided, and Wes makes it clear that you need to do what is best for you to be as competent as you can be; so there's no forcing HIS views on HIS way of doing something.

I thought I knew a lot about firearms and the law and even about Concealed Carry. But taking Wes's class taught me that there is a lot I do not know, and much of that I now do know thanks to the wealth of information available from Wes and all of the other student's insights and context on a myriad of issues. I think the bottom line here is that if you are someone who would like to get more than just a quick and dirty, meets minimal-requirements CCW Certification then THIS is the class you need to take. This is what I felt I wanted, and needed, as I wanted to prepare myself as best I could before stepping into this very serious world of active CCW. And since to qualify I needed to take "some" class, I thought, "Why not get the most out of it that I possibly can?". Now I know that this class is just the beginning of my "continued education" with respect to all aspects of CCW and firearms handling in general.

Good stuff. Highly recommended.

(And no, I am not a shill for LFI; just a happy customer who got more than he paid for!)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 AM

Just to pile on to this thread--BIG thumbs up to Wes! His training is definitely first class.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=387501
Old 03-14-2011, 3:36 PM

I would like to make a quick endorsement also for LFI's training. I was in this last weekends class along with 15thaf5thbw and wholeheartedly agree with all of his comments and observations. Wes's class has definitely inspired me to secure additional training and learn as much as I can on advanced handgun & CCW techniques. Thanks Wes!!
Old 03-14-2011, 9:59 PM

I'll be there in Wes's class on 3-19 and 3-20 for initials.
You guys will come back for add/mod or requals!
Quality first.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:05 AM

Thanks guys for sharing info on LFI this is more of what I was hoping to get when I started this thread. Wess is a great instructor and others looking for a good educational class should be advised. I plan to look to Wess for future training.
Old 03-20-2011, 2:16 PM

Default Agree

I was the senior guy with you in that class and your comments are insightful and accurate. This is a senior friendly class for those who want some refresher information too, and on top of that, it is a course which for responsible well meaning citizens in a small group venue which allowed interaction and discussion about weapons, and above all else about applicable laws, social justice, decision making. I had a break of twenty years and for the older citizen, the update on modern firearms was very important.
hg
Old 03-21-2011, 2:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestoked View Post
I just visited Billy Jack's website (http://www.californiaconcealedcarry....acramento.html) and read the information for Sacramento County. Much of the information there is incorrect.
Yes, it is pretty much out of date I'm afraid. Just don't have time to update it. If anyone asks, we give them the real scoop.

Sorry,

All opinions expressed here are my own unless I say otherwise.
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Old 03-21-2011, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrygo View Post
I was the senior guy with you in that class and your comments are insightful and accurate. This is a senior friendly class for those who want some refresher information too, and on top of that, it is a course which for responsible well meaning citizens in a small group venue which allowed interaction and discussion about weapons, and above all else about applicable laws, social justice, decision making. I had a break of twenty years and for the older citizen, the update on modern firearms was very important.
hg
Thanks for the nice words Henry. I really enjoyed having you in the class.

Take care and be safe.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Exclamation

Great point on the concept of Good Quality Training!

"Just because the law gives us a minimum or maximum number of hours does not mean that's all that is needed."

I've been teaching CCW Classes for almost 20 years...and while most of my CCW students are familiar with Gun Safety and Shooting Fundamentals....it still remains true that;

"You don't know what you don't know"

Any opportunity to train with a quality Instructor that has been recommneded by fellow CalGunners, is an opportunity to learn something and improve your skills or decision making abilities. I typically train with as many other Trainers as possible (or I can afford to) as often as possible. Looks like NorCal has another good option that is taking training seriously enough to offer quality instruction, however long that instruction may take.

Thumbs up to that!
Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor
CCW USA FIREARMS TRAINING
www.CCWUSA.com
"like us" on Facebook for class discounts
www.facebook.com/CCWUSA
Old 03-26-2011, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWUSA View Post

"Just because the law gives us a minimum or maximum number of hours does not mean that's all that is needed."

I've been teaching CCW Classes for almost 20 years...and while most of my CCW students are familiar with Gun Safety and Shooting Fundamentals....it still remains true that;

Any opportunity to train with a quality Instructor that has been recommneded by fellow CalGunners, is an opportunity to learn something and improve your skills or decision making abilities. I typically train with as many other Trainers as possible (or I can afford to) as often as possible. Looks like NorCal has another good option that is taking training seriously enough to offer quality instruction, however long that instruction may take.

Thumbs up to that!

CCWUSA
You sound like a real stand up guy it is very unusual to have a instructor give props to another instructor. I wish you the best in your business.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:13 PM

Default LFI endorsment

I thought I would throw my 2 cents into the ring on Wes, I have taken 3 classes with him, CCW, pistol proficiency, and a 2 day advanced defensive pistol class. All of them were top notch! Wes has a plethora of information and experience to share! He teaches with a very safety oriented very inviting style. He's not your typical trainer by any means.. I considered myself a decent shooter before I took any of his classes, now I have no problem considering myself a very very proficient pistol marksman. I really learned alot and will be taking more classes from him in the future for sure! One last thing.. Wes teaches without the cocky attitude, or the "its my way or no way" philosophies that so many others in firearms instruction seem to have.

Two thumbs up!
Old 03-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinthatsmokewagon View Post
I thought I would throw my 2 cents into the ring on Wes, I have taken 3 classes with him, CCW, pistol proficiency, and a 2 day advanced defensive pistol class. All of them were top notch! Wes has a plethora of information and experience to share! He teaches with a very safety oriented very inviting style. He's not your typical trainer by any means.. I considered myself a decent shooter before I took any of his classes, now I have no problem considering myself a very very proficient pistol marksman. I really learned alot and will be taking more classes from him in the future for sure! One last thing.. Wes teaches without the cocky attitude, or the "its my way or no way" philosophies that so many others in firearms instruction seem to have.

Two thumbs up!
One of the (very) good things about Wes is that he's learned how to enhance your way of shooting. What also sets him apart is that he learns from his students and incorporates what he's learned into his future classes. Seriously. He really wants his students to do well. He's very passionate about this and it shows in his classes. His classes seem to be very person friendly, whether you're young, old, male, female, new shooter or very experienced.

I'll eventually get around to taking more classes with him.

Oh, and he's also an excellent shooter. He can walk the talk.
Old 03-27-2011, 1:15 AM

+1. took my class with wes in february. had a good time and learned a lot. we only had 4 people in my class, and i loved the small class atmosphere. tim
Old 04-05-2011, 11:36 AM

+1 Took the CCW class in late March. Excellent class, Excellent Instructor!
Old 04-07-2011, 8:01 AM

Glad to hear that there is quality training available for the Sacramento Region.
Old 04-30-2011, 2:46 PM

Default Thank you ... Other Courses

Thank you for all of the nice comments. Great students like you have made my job very enjoyable!!

I have put together a few other courses besides CA CCW.
  • Nevada CCW
  • Utah CCW
  • Pistol Proficiency
  • Home Defense I
  • Home Defense II
  • 2 Day Defensive Pistol
  • Long Range Rifle
I'll be sending out e-mail notifications to everyone on my e-mail list as I schedule courses. If you're not already on my e-mail list want to be put on it, please send me an e-mail at ccwtrainer@live.com with your request.

Like all of my courses, you can expect a SAFE, Fun & Positive environment to learn in, while putting your skills and equipment to the test.

Old 05-02-2011, 6:57 PM

I'll add my two cents as well....Wes puts on a top notch class. It was worth every penny. I'm looking forward to my next classes with him. Thanks again, Wes!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:28 PM

I know I posted this on another thread, but I liked the CCW class Wes puts on so much, Ill echo it again. Anyone looking to take CCW or other firearm related training in a very safe yet relaxed environment, take your class from Wes. His energy alone makes the required 16 hours go by in a flash too.
Old 05-19-2011, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWUSA View Post

Thumbs up to that!
I don't check this thread much. It's something only my mom should read .

I saw your post Jim and I want to thank you. That's very nice of you. If I catch wind of people down in southern CA who want training, I'll be sure to send them your way.

Take care.

Old 05-19-2011, 6:29 AM

I posted this on another thread cause I didn't know this one existed...

"Another "more than satisfied" customer of Wes. I could not be happier with the training I received from him. I had a special one-on-one CCW training with Wes last weekend. He even went out of his way to accommodate my schedule so I would not lose any valuable time at my work. We took range time in the thunder, lightning, and pouring rain and he wouldn't leave until I qualified with all the pistols I brought. We were soaked to the bone! I learned about all the above mentioned items and was given the best handgun training I have had to date. I am looking forward to taking more of the classes he offers, especially the defensive handgun training course and Utah CCW course. Oh, I forgot to mention that he is also a hell of a nice guy. Thanks Wes."
Old 05-19-2011, 7:22 AM

I got another shooter coming you way
Old 06-13-2011, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45R View Post
I got another shooter coming you way
Thank you very much!

Old 06-14-2011, 3:01 PM

Keep up the great work Wess! There is no dought that you have found your calling.
Old 08-01-2011, 3:26 PM

I had another great experience with Lagomarsino Firearms Institute. Sunday I met up with Wess at the range portion of his class to qualify with a couple new pistols. Once again it was a great time, more of a fun time shooting than just a qualification. It was great to see that Wess makes a connection with every class he teaches.

Wess if you read this: Know that you have made many friends in the firearm community. Keep up the great work training safe responsible men and Woman in the CCW community
Old 08-02-2011, 4:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Recently, I took my boy's to swimming lessons for their first time. Their instructor was very pleasant as her goal was teaching them how to swim.

Initially, I though a CCW class would be laws....then test for pass/fail.

However, Wesley's class was more like my kid's swimming instruction. Wesley really wants you to succeed at being a responsible and safe CCW holder. I actually loved his classroom time. I felt like I was in college again with one of the professor's I truly liked. Open discussions were welcomed and even encouraged.

I think his background also made the classes interesting as I don't think I'd get that from a instructor-only background. Being an ex-LEO, I've learned more than just CCW laws. I'd take his class just for that part of it.

The shooting part of it was fun. He really works with his students to get them to pass the CCW by finding flaws and working with that. Even after I qualified, he wasn't a Nazi and allowed me to run the course another time with others qualifying with more guns (yes I only had one HK ). Beware the man with one gun?

Anyways, I'm definitely referring anyone I know who is going to do their CCW or just any kind of firearms training with you, Wesley. I was very pleased with your class and instruction.

BTW: Use more "da kine" and "brah" in your dialog the next time you go to Hawaii and you'll get better service. Oh, and when you greet your server for the first time, start with "Aloha" instead of hello. Don't pronounce it "ay-lo-hay", it is "ahhhh-low-ha". And don't do the long low...that's how they teach tourists to say it.

- Hawaii shooter

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry.

Our Founders Views Regarding the 2nd Amendment - Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Last edited by adrenaline; 08-02-2011 at 4:49 AM.. Reason: Had to add the aloha part. ;)
Old 08-02-2011, 8:00 AM
Banned

Wes is a heck of an instructor that not only teaches but listens. He could lose a couple pounds "just kidding buddy", but other than that a heck of a person and instructor. I plan to take more of his defensive classes in the future. He not only taught about the CCW laws, but got into what will happen if you have to protect yourself and the consequences you will be facing. His class is a real eye opener. I learned a lot of valuable information.
Old 08-04-2011, 3:50 PM
Cal Gunner for Life!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Talking Wes's class

Wes gets the big thumbs up from me, too.
Being old school I have to unlearn some old habits that will die hard. Wes is just the sort you NEED to have with you if you need some updating.
I'm recommending him, and I'll be back for more of his classes.
When you turn in your paperwork in SAC they smile when they see it's from LFI!
Old 08-15-2011, 9:28 AM
CGN Contributor

Attended Wes's class in Jan this year. Ditto to all the positive feedback. Got my LTC in June and am thankful to Wes for all of his help and instruction. Thanks Wes!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:17 PM

Default Lagomarsino's Fire Arms Institute

Just completed Wesley Largomarsino's CA CCW course. I researched the web to find the right course and I have to tell you that I can't imagine that there is a better available course out there. This is one of the most "Professional" courses I have ever experienced in the use of handguns, period. With previous extensive experiences in Law Enforcement, Wesley is "above and beyond" qualified and one should consider themselves fortunate to have the opportunity to take his course.

Wesley is a down-to-earth kind of guy, that makes the course fun and enjoyable. He is highly energetic and always gives students time for questions and great stories directly related to educating you on the use and safety of handguns.

Even in a class of 15, you felt as though you were in a "one-on-one" situation. His range tactics are technical and deliberate to ensure all on the range are safe. He also had another instructor there named Joe Truesdale, that was equally professional and fun to be around. A serious competition shooter with many helpful pointers on how to better your shooting techniques.

No egos involved here. Everyone had a great time and you left with a wealth of information which you had never thought about before. I talked to friends that are CCW holders and mentioned just a few things from the course that they were unaware of that could be vital if a shooting ever occurred. I won't tell you what their response was, but it was a four letter word followed by, "I didn't know that."

Carrying a CCW is not something that's "cool to do" It is one of the greatest responsibilities you will ever have in your life besides having children. If or when a shooting occurs, it could destroy your life "legally" (even if you were "justified") as well as the one you shoot. If you plan to carry concealed get the best training you can get. I highly recommend that you consider this course as your training source.