Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 84 8.45%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 669 67.30%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 22 2.21%
I paid too much for my Membership! 45 4.53%
They will go out of business this year! 23 2.31%
Don't want anything to do with them! 151 15.19%
Voters: 994. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2020, 6:05 AM

Good day everyone, Iím currently in Vegas and wanted to go up there to get some targets. Is the pro shop open so I can do that? I wonít have any time this year to take a class unfortunately.
Thank you for any information provided.
Old 10-16-2020, 6:08 AM
Calguns Addict

You can call ahead. (702) 837-7433

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 10-16-2020, 6:52 AM

Thanks Beanz2!! I looked for a phone number when I was half asleep and couldnít find one.
Old 10-16-2020, 9:26 AM

Yup, ProShop is open, just let the gate attendants know you're only going to the ProShop and you can go in and pick up whatever you need.

avoid lunch time hours or right after class as it's quite busy during those times.
Old 10-17-2020, 6:35 AM

New pricing at pro shop, rep said it was due to new management. Last week I picked up two FS logo'd t-shirts and my cost was $52 plus Iggy bucks.
NRA Endowment Life Member

PM me for your FrontSight needs.
Old 10-17-2020, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divehobo View Post
New pricing at pro shop, rep said it was due to new management. Last week I picked up two FS logo'd t-shirts and my cost was $52 plus Iggy bucks.
Yeah. Iggy bucks are basically worthless now. But that's OK, you'll have plenty of chances to double them.
Old 10-18-2020, 6:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbruin View Post
Yeah. Iggy bucks are basically worthless now. But that's OK, you'll have plenty of chances to double them.
True. But as long as FS still takes Iggy Bucks for background checks, Iím OK with that.

What I donít understand is why they still need BG checks on students that have NV CCW. Hasnít .gov done the heavy lifting for them?

Old 10-18-2020, 7:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
What I donít understand is why they still need BG checks on students that have NV CCW. Hasnít .gov done the heavy lifting for them?
Because Revenue. Thatís why. :-)
Old 10-18-2020, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15fan View Post
Because Revenue. Thatís why. :-)
True. They are good for annual background checks. And also true that they do them for revenue. I'm not sure they do an actual check.
Old 10-18-2020, 9:01 AM

Background checks help me worry a bit less when Iíve got my kids on site with me. Focus during training is on them and itís nice to know the meathead three people has had his/her background checked. Now to only hope itís not about collecting $50 per year for the illusion of worthiness.
NRA Endowment Life Member

PM me for your FrontSight needs.
Old 10-18-2020, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divehobo View Post
Background checks help me worry a bit less when Iíve got my kids on site with me. Focus during training is on them and itís nice to know the meathead three people has had his/her background checked. Now to only hope itís not about collecting $50 per year for the illusion of worthiness.
The only reason I question it is because due to some glitch, we showed up and one of our party didn't have a current check. They did one in about 5 minutes or so in exchange for Iggy Bucks.
Old 10-18-2020, 6:21 PM
Calguns Addict

The wife is wondering how is the mask situation at FS. She is taking 4DDHG in a couple of weeks. What percentage of students are wearing them in class? Are the instructors wearing them? If we don't wear them, is it considered un-cool?

I'll be in Precision Rifle. I find wearing a mask really interferes with my cheekweld. I can't feel my usual landmarks on the cheek riser. What should I do? Practice with a mask?

Old 10-18-2020, 6:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was out there the first week FS reopened. No one wore masks on the line or in the chairs. Some wore masks in the classroom at the beginning of the first day.

That was it.
Old 10-18-2020, 7:31 PM

I just took a handgun course there this past week and no one wore masks.
Old 10-18-2020, 7:33 PM

I just took a handgun course there this past week and no one in our group wore masks and I didn't see anyone else with a mask on in the lecture facility.
Old 10-18-2020, 8:30 PM

Yup, only first weekend was it asked of Staff to have masks on.
That didn't last long in that 110į heat.
Piazza basically told NV to go screw themselves and they lifted the requirement.

When I was there a few weeks ago, very very few students wore masks and it's strictly voluntary.
Only really saw it in the classroom
Old 10-19-2020, 6:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Ok, now weíre thinking of just wearing N95 masks in the classroom.

Too California? Paranoid? No one cares?

Old 10-19-2020, 6:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Ok, now weíre thinking of just wearing N95 masks in the classroom.

You do you. No one cares.
Old 10-19-2020, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Ok, now we’re thinking of just wearing N95 masks in the classroom.

Wear em if you're concerned. Just know that there will be very few others wearing them, if any. Also, they did a pretty good job of physical distancing in the classroom.
Old 10-19-2020, 4:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Wear em if you're concerned. Just know that there will be very few others wearing them, if any. Also, they did a pretty good job of physical distancing in the classroom.
I don't know if THEY did much. When I was there a few weeks back, people just sat a little bit away from others, as possible. But I did not see anyone get the slightest bit huffy when others sat near them...
Old 10-20-2020, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
I don't know if THEY did much. When I was there a few weeks back, people just sat a little bit away from others, as possible. But I did not see anyone get the slightest bit huffy when others sat near them...
Wasn't my experience. Waivers and stuff were well spaced when we showed up. At lunch I didn't see any group within 10' or more of each other. I'm sure it varies.
Old 10-20-2020, 9:58 PM

A question about trigger modifications for the HCM test. The rules state, for Glock, that "Slightly modified triggers (no competition trigger jobs)" are allowed. What constitutes a slightly modified trigger?
Old 10-20-2020, 10:03 PM

Iíll be there this Friday for the 4 day defensive handgun training.
I keep getting offer emails about the trauma training for $129. Is it worth it?
Old 10-21-2020, 6:07 AM

Default Just back from 4DDH

Just a few quick notes from a 1st time solo female attendee.
Masks: the first day I saw maybe 10 ppl wearing masks in the class room and around the grounds. By the 2nd day, 2 or 3 ppl. No distancing in the classroom as it was FULL! I am not a believer in the COVID scam so for me, it was nice to have a normal conversation with people and to be able to see their faces. You do sign a hold harmless waiver the first day about the mask issue. The town is strictly pro mask everywhere so be sure to have one with you off property.

It was stupid hot all 4 days and by the last day I was over it. I doubt that will be problem much longer but I recommend those cooling towels you can get off of Amazon for @ $15 for 4. Life saver for me.

I wasn't 100% sure what to expect even after reading every post here and watching the videos. I am not a brand new gun handler and was confident in my skills going in. That being said, I was promptly humbled. I was fortunate to latch on to a returning guest that was patient and steady with his coaching. He completely made the experience for me.

I saw stuff on the line that had I been the RO, I would have removed those people immediately. 2 of them struggled the entire course and at one time, while waiting at the ready, I had to reach over and grab the shooters wrist to stop from being muzzled. IDK where her coach was. This was on day 3 and had been a problem the whole time. She was clearly overwhelmed and too frail to manipulate the weapon she had. The other party, well, someone saw him coming and sold him a $$$ weapon that was totally over his head as a total beginner. The instructors spent so much time with these 2. I feel it took away from my instruction and was a constant distraction as I was flanked by both of them.

I enjoyed the drills and did see a marked improvement in my accuracy and speed. My malfunction clearance times are now a fraction of what I started with. I took my time in the skills test.

It was very well organized, clean and the staff was very nice. The gentlemen in the armory were super helpful. I went the day before my class to pick up ammo and to have extended mag releases installed on my primary and secondary weapons. They were very fairly priced and quick. I also ordered lunches through FS (moms diner). Convenient and edible but enjoyed the salads over the sandwiches.

I stayed at Saddle West and have no complaints. The property was almost 100% FS guests so that was cool. For the $, including a decent breakfast, you can't beat it. I sprung for a "deluxe" room that had a mini fridge. I would book this type again.

I would go again next week if I could get the time off from work. It was intense, hard practice but how often to you get an opportunity to work on your skill set 100% for 4 days? My goal was to sleep, eat and shoot. That was accomplished.

Oh, I did not attend the trauma class but if you haven't taken a stop the bleed class, I would recommend you take one somewhere if not here. It would make for a VERY long day as it is after the mando lecture/video.

As a solo female attending for the first time, I would say that no woman needs to get all in her head about not being able to do it on their own. EVERYONE from the students to the staff never made me feel weird about being there on my own. I love being able to do what I want, when I want. I am pretty independent and a self starter by nature. I made new friends and am already trying to figure out return dates that work for the 4 of us. JUST GO DO IT!

Last edited by nonuniform; 10-21-2020 at 6:18 AM..
Old 10-21-2020, 6:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonuniform View Post
...snip...

I would go again next week if I could get the time off from work. It was intense, hard practice but how often to you get an opportunity to work on your skill set 100% for 4 days? My goal was to sleep, eat and shoot. That was accomplished.

Oh, I did not attend the trauma class but if you haven't taken a stop the bleed class, I would recommend you take one somewhere if not here. It would make for a VERY long day as it is after the mando lecture/video.
Thatís a great first post! Thanks for providing the feedback. Still trying to get my wife to go!!
Old 10-21-2020, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Masks: the first day I saw maybe 10 ppl wearing masks in the class room and around the grounds. By the 2nd day, 2 or 3 ppl. No distancing in the classroom as it was FULL! I am not a believer in the COVID scam so for me, it was nice to have a normal conversation with people and to be able to see their faces. You do sign a hold harmless waiver the first day about the mask issue. The town is strictly pro mask everywhere so be sure to have one with you off property.

It was stupid hot all 4 days and by the last day I was over it. I doubt that will be problem much longer but I recommend those cooling towels you can get off of Amazon for @ $15 for 4. Life saver for me.

I wasn't 100% sure what to expect even after reading every post here and watching the videos. I am not a brand new gun handler and was confident in my skills going in. That being said, I was promptly humbled. I was fortunate to latch on to a returning guest that was patient and steady with his coaching. He completely made the experience for me.

I saw stuff on the line that had I been the RO, I would have removed those people immediately. 2 of them struggled the entire course and at one time, while waiting at the ready, I had to reach over and grab the shooters wrist to stop from being muzzled. IDK where her coach was. This was on day 3 and had been a problem the whole time. She was clearly overwhelmed and too frail to manipulate the weapon she had. The other party, well, someone saw him coming and sold him a $$$ weapon that was totally over his head as a total beginner. The instructors spent so much time with these 2. I feel it took away from my instruction and was a constant distraction as I was flanked by both of them.

I enjoyed the drills and did see a marked improvement in my accuracy and speed. My malfunction clearance times are now a fraction of what I started with. I took my time in the skills test.

It was very well organized, clean and the staff was very nice. The gentlemen in the armory were super helpful. I went the day before my class to pick up ammo and to have extended mag releases installed on my primary and secondary weapons. They were very fairly priced and quick. I also ordered lunches through FS (moms diner). Convenient and edible but enjoyed the salads over the sandwiches.

I stayed at Saddle West and have no complaints. The property was almost 100% FS guests so that was cool. For the $, including a decent breakfast, you can't beat it. I sprung for a "deluxe" room that had a mini fridge. I would book this type again.

Thanks for all the info.
You had me at VERY long day.
Iím wondering if I should take my 5-7 and get my trigger changed...
Old 10-21-2020, 6:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the report, nonuniform. The mask thing does bother me a bit. Not to bring COVID19 discussions into this thread, but I do take care of actual patients with it. I think I will come in with a mask for the indoor portions of the class, and take it off when outdoors. After all, I have not seen a homeless person coming down with COVID.

Wonder how the heat will be in 2 weeks. Thanks also for reminding me to bring my cooling towels.

Yes, Iíd hate to be in a class with those two that slow the class down and absorb all the instructorsí attention. I tend to choose sides with competent looking folks. If that results in friendly competition, itís even better.

Old 10-21-2020, 7:59 AM

Quote:

As a solo female attending for the first time, I would say that no woman needs to get all in her head about not being able to do it on their own. EVERYONE from the students to the staff never made me feel weird about being there on my own. I love being able to do what I want, when I want. I am pretty independent and a self starter by nature. I made new friends and am already trying to figure out return dates that work for the 4 of us. JUST GO DO IT!
Great post!

I was out there in March and was by myself. As a new firearms owner and living in a part of CA that is VERY anti-2A, I just decided to go by myself. Was very nervous but went with an open mind. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had.

Not only were the instructors amazing and very helpful, so were the other students in my class. There was a mix of people who had been to FR a bunch of times and others who were there for the first time. I was lucky enough to become friends with a couple who had been there before and they were really helpful. I learned a ton from the class, gained a new found respect for firearms and responsible firearm ownership and meet some great people. Some of the lectures had a bit of a sales pitch to them, but other lectures were fantastic.

I enjoyed it so much I ended up buying a Commander membership from a fellow CG'er and I'm heading out there with a few friends this weekend to take the 4DDH class again. Was actually supposed to be there right now taking a 4-day tactical shotgun class, but had to cancel because of too much going on with working and going to grad school at the same time.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 10-21-2020 at 9:26 AM..
Old 10-21-2020, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

Beanz2
Have you considered a neck gaiter. I use those more for sun protection as I burn easily but wore it in the classroom also. Most folks donít wear masks there but no shame in wearing one. I made it a point to distance myself if others wouldnít.
Old 10-21-2020, 9:11 AM

Quote:
I feel it took away from my instruction and was a constant distraction as I was flanked by both of them.
Great write-up! Welcome to the Frontsight Family.

Please remember that in any class at Frontsight, if you feel uncomfortable on the line due to nearby students, JUST QUIETLY ASK YOUR RANGEMASTER IF YOU CAN BE MOVED SOMEWHERE ELSE ON THE LINE.

There is never a reason to "suffer through" an entire class.
Old 10-21-2020, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15fan View Post
Thatís a great first post! Thanks for providing the feedback. Still trying to get my wife to go!!
Think she would do a private with just our family?
Old 10-21-2020, 10:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
Beanz2
Have you considered a neck gaiter. I use those more for sun protection as I burn easily but wore it in the classroom also. Most folks donít wear masks there but no shame in wearing one. I made it a point to distance myself if others wouldnít.
I'm thinking of wearing an N95 mask only when I'm in enclosed room with others. The entire first day of my class will be all indoors. Outdoors, I'm less concerned. As I wrote above, though the homeless live in squalid conditions with poor hygiene, they're not coming down with COVID.

Old 10-21-2020, 1:15 PM
CGN Contributor

In your class, there will be plenty of space between shooters. You'll be crowded on the trailer.
Old 10-21-2020, 1:21 PM

LV G22-
I was going to ask to be moved but the problem was only on my relay. I didn't want to stop working with the individual I was with. It just got irritating that 40% of my time on the line was spent worrying about the problems.
I know we were all new at one time but after 25 corrections for the same safety things and continuing to do them, I feel the RO should have pulled them automatically.
Ultimately, it was my choice to stay put but I will not do it again.

Last edited by nonuniform; 10-21-2020 at 1:31 PM..
Old 10-21-2020, 1:26 PM

Beanz2- I understand and as another said, you do you. No one was made to feel uncomfortable about their decision.
There were several health care workers in my class and they went mask-less. The was one much older gentleman that wore one for most of the class but not all
Old 10-21-2020, 1:50 PM

nonuniform; great write up and thanks for sharing your experience going to FS for the first time.

Next time, feel free to change targets after exercises, after lunch, whenever. The target numbers aren't assigned (unless it's the shooting relays) and people won't care if you change targets. Plus the instructors will know exactly why you did it.
Old 10-21-2020, 9:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I think too, that if you suggest to the Range Master that it is a SAFETY problem, they will be a bit more proactive.

I hope.

Old 10-22-2020, 8:06 AM

I just got back from a 4 day defensive handgun class at FS and thought I would give an update.

Front sight is alive and well. During the first morning sign in at the big conference room there wasnít any extra seating. Well at least 95% capacity. So I guess thereís a lot of pent up training needs and new shooters. Mask wearing was maybe 40%. Normally I donít like crowded rooms, so that was the last time I was in there.

The class I took was full, 40 students, with 4 instructors. Probably 50% new shooters. The two main instructors were young guys with great attitudes/personalities. My new gun should be a tack driver but I was shooting like garbage. They got me squared away and shooting straight. I missed DG by a couple of points. But it was the first time I shot the class shooting from concealment. So Iíll take the graduate!
Old 10-22-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSlapshotx View Post
I just got back from a 4 day defensive handgun class at FS and thought I would give an update.

Front sight is alive and well. During the first morning sign in at the big conference room there wasn’t any extra seating. Well at least 95% capacity. So I guess there’s a lot of pent up training needs and new shooters. Mask wearing was maybe 40%. Normally I don’t like crowded rooms, so that was the last time I was in there.

The class I took was full, 40 students, with 4 instructors. Probably 50% new shooters. The two main instructors were young guys with great attitudes/personalities. My new gun should be a tack driver but I was shooting like garbage. They got me squared away and shooting straight. I missed DG by a couple of points. But it was the first time I shot the class shooting from concealment. So I’ll take the graduate!
Congrats on Graduate. I was disappointed every time I got it...especially when I scored 15 with a -3 on 5 yds at the ready. Yes, really. When I finally got DG, I realized that you actually have to shoot pretty well for Grad.

Was one of the young instructors, T.J.? I think he's one of the best.

Last edited by cjbruin; 10-22-2020 at 4:23 PM..
Old 10-22-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Congrats on Graduate. I was disappointed every time I got it...especially when I scored 15 with a -3 on 5 yds at the ready. Yes, really. When I finally got DG, I realized that you actually have to shoot pretty well for Grad.

Was one of the young instructors, T.J.? I think he's one of the best.
Thanks, I was pretty happy to get grad. Especially when out of a class of 40, there was only 2 DG and 4 graduate.

The instructors I had were Kyle Bartolucci and Phil McNulty. Solid guys.