Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-16-2019, 9:24 AM

Default Remington 22lr golden bullets

Is it just me or are the rounds that come in the bulk packs of these really dirty? I don't mean dirty in the gun, i mean dirty in the outside of the round. I load these into my magazines and my fingers come away gray with brass specks. And then later the skin peels from my thumb (from thumbing rounds into the mag)

Anyone else? Anything i can do about it?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
Is it just me or are the rounds that come in the bulk packs of these really dirty? I don't mean dirty in the gun, i mean dirty in the outside of the round. I load these into my magazines and my fingers come away gray with brass specks. And then later the skin peels from my thumb (from thumbing rounds into the mag)

Anyone else? Anything i can do about it?
You could tumble them, and the test of tumbling live rounds has been tested...
I did it with some waxy ARMSCORE 22LR W/ No I'll effects.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...r-pics.530645/

For most of what I shoot 22lr out of, mk22/45, and a mkIII, WE HAVE ULTIMATE CLIP LOADERS, SO NO HURT OR DIRTY FINGERS...

https://youtu.be/6wFM9YFbKak

Last edited by the86d; 05-17-2019 at 3:18 AM..
Old 05-16-2019, 10:16 AM

IMO, the Remington Golden Bullet is junk. They are the only rounds that jam in my Ruger Target & Marlin. The powder charges are inconsistent; some cases barely eject & some don't make it out. And yes, they're also dirty.

I think Remington outsources the manufacture to other cheaper companies.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:39 AM

I have a magazine loader for my glock 22lr conversion kit so it's not that i'm fighting spring tension which causes the skin to peel.

I use it because it's easy to get at walmart and it's recommended for my conversion kit. Now that the kit is more broken in i might switch to cleaner (on the outside) bulk 22lr
Old 05-16-2019, 11:45 AM
Calguns Addict

I love Golden Bullets. They've always been one of my favorite plinking rounds. They might be a little dirty, but not enough for me to notice or care. By contrast, I hate Thunderbolts and bulk Winchester (555, etc.). I guess it's a "to each, his own" thing.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Col Mustard did they work in your conversion kit? Advantage Arms? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2019, 5:54 PM

They do work, especially after breaking the gun in. Have had a notable handful of cases stuck in the chamber due to case splitting. And there's my gripe about getting my fingers dirty and skin peeling
Old 05-18-2019, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win231 View Post
IMO, the Remington Golden Bullet is junk. They are the only rounds that jam in my Ruger Target & Marlin. The powder charges are inconsistent; some cases barely eject & some don't make it out. And yes, they're also dirty.

I think Remington outsources the manufacture to other cheaper companies.
Yep! They're the at the top of the list when it comes to problems. A few years ago, when GBs were some of the only 22LR available, it was worth putting up with the aggravation, but now there's no excuse for using them.
Old 05-18-2019, 7:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
I love Golden Bullets. They've always been one of my favorite plinking rounds. They might be a little dirty, but not enough for me to notice or care. By contrast, I hate Thunderbolts and bulk Winchester (555, etc.). I guess it's a "to each, his own" thing.
I know a guy that went "Distinguished" in light rifle using Thunderbolts. I actually saw him do it, so I know it was legit.

I've never used the 555's, but none of my .22's have a problem with the Golden's or the Thunderbolts. Federal Auto Match works OK as well, except in my GSG 1911..... not enough juice in 'em to reliably cycle the action. Lots and lots of stovepipes.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 05-18-2019, 8:46 AM

I have never found the golden bullets to be dirty. I have compared them to other brands by shooting them through a chronograph, I have found goldens to have very inconsistent velocity, up to 180 fps spread in a 10 shot group. CCI mini-mags are under 40 fps spread in a 10 shot string. I will use them if nothing else is available.