Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 05-01-2019, 3:42 PM

Never alluded to blaming the seller. There's always demand and supply no matter what. It's simple economics, it's never just "well then don't buy it." The world doesn't work that way.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheRepublic View Post
... it's never just "well then don't buy it." The world doesn't work that way.
Sure it is. Nobody forces anybody to open up their wallet and hand over cash for some “desired” want. Just like nobody forces a fat person to open their mouth to fill it with too much food.

The purchase of an over priced used off-roster gun from a private party is made purely out of a wanton desire and definitely not out of need. Nobody forced you to buy that gun.

It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 05-01-2019, 11:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well, thank you for the apology, even though it’s not your fault.

While I would LOVE to see the roster go away (I really, really, really want a CZ TSO), the cops are helping the non-cops get off roster stuff (getting average people something the government doesn’t want them to have). So that part is kind of cool.

I saw some sheriffs getting coffee once and I wanted to joke with them and see what they’d say if I asked one of them to do a “straw” purchase, but I chickened out. It sounded funny in my head, but it would have sounded very dumb if I actually said it.
Old 05-02-2019, 8:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I’m sure both sides play a part. So long as it’s not a straw purchase to then turn around and sell for a profit, who cares what anyone does with their money or property. It is what it is.
Old 05-02-2019, 8:50 PM

You don’t even understand what price gouging is...
Old 05-02-2019, 10:12 PM

At the end of the day if it's on the buyer. Me personally I only pay $100 to $150 over retail, tax and dros so if a gun is $700 after taxes and dros I will pay $800 to $850 and that's where I draw the line. If a LEO is honest and tells me straight up he or she needs to make at least something then that's cool but if i get a b.s story like "I bought it for my wife but she doesnt like it" and the seller tries to off load it at 2x or 3x what he paid I just shy away. I dont like b.sers

Last edited by Mandingo27; 05-02-2019 at 10:15 PM..
Old 05-05-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
i appreciate the sentiment of the OP.

the reaction is rather telling

kind of how cheaters like to assume their spouse of cheating.

i agree that normal market control is screwed by the stupid roster.
Hey....that's not a real puppy!
Old 05-05-2019, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

It's important to clarify that the term "LEO" is normally what the majority of folks here automatically link to a "street cop". The roster exemption covers a wide range of folks other than "street cops" not to mention the civis who also receive the exemption.

I can attest that the majority of off-list acquisitions that I've performed under my auxiliary capacity as an FFL employee have involved exempt persons not in the "street cop" variety. Exempt folks from other less frequently considered agencies and interstate family transfer happens a lot.

That being said, FFLs are required to report to the ATF and the CLEO of the area whenever a person acquires more than one pistol or semi-auto rifle within a certain period. Frequency and pattern is what matters here. This is how ATF caught wind of the infamous greedy officers. Believe me, it is only a matter of time until we see ATF target the interstate family transfer folks.

I also find it very common for recruits or hiring hopefuls to ask for exempt "perks" before they've even gotten the job. Learn to locate the specific section of the PC, boot.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 05-07-2019, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdle View Post
Well, thank you for the apology, even though it’s not your fault.

While I would LOVE to see the roster go away (I really, really, really want a CZ TSO), the cops are helping the non-cops get off roster stuff (getting average people something the government doesn’t want them to have). So that part is kind of cool.

I saw some sheriffs getting coffee once and I wanted to joke with them and see what they’d say if I asked one of them to do a “straw” purchase, but I chickened out. It sounded funny in my head, but it would have sounded very dumb if I actually said it.
No, you would have come across as a real scumbag. Asking a cop to participate in committing a felony federal crime would be an incredible insult to those I know and work with. I'd be thinking very hard about how I could charge you with soliciting a crime. That would have been a real scumbag move on your part, and I'd have been trying hard to make you pay for thinking I was as corruptible as you thought I was. Good luck in the future, you're going to need it with thoughts like you've expressed here.
Old 05-29-2019, 4:30 PM
Veteran Member

Posted this in another thread and it reminded me of this one. My contribution story, many of you will be displeased. In summary:

My staff member sold a G45 to a city LEO with letter. We delivered it immediately and all documents were signed. The pistol officially belonged to him.

He asked after, "How do I mount a red dot to this?" I told him that the G45 didn't have an MOS option. He said that his partners all bought it and he was told it did. I told him that it didn't and that he would need to get it milled or buy the G17 or G19 MOS variants. He asked if he could return it and I told him that the pistol was already delivered.

I told him that one of my staff could buy the G45 and he could immediately DROS the MOS variant that he wanted. He asked about the legalities and I told him that in this case, it was a legitimate purchase where he didn't want it any more, so it was fine. I also advised that the law and previous cases of LEOs getting charged were because they purchased with the intent to sell for profit without an FFL. He said he'd talk to his partners about it and would get back to us.

A few hours later he calls and said he wanted $750 for it and that he knew he could get between $800-1,000 for it. My guess is that his partners advised him that he could profit. I told him, "No", and said that I was legitimately trying to help him get the pistol that he needed for duty and was disappointed that he was now using his exemption to take advantage of the situation.

I didn't tell him this part, but we are a pro-LE shop where some of us are retirees and some of us are still active moonlighting here. That behavior is exactly why the public distrusts the uniform.

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom
Old 05-29-2019, 4:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
I just got a red light ticket.

I could’ve easily hit up a bunch of Judges that I know and probably gotten it dropped. Did I? Nope, because I did it, I’m on camera, etc. Just paid the ridiculous $500 fine and traffic school.

Now I got to go sign up for some OT. :sigh:
You are to be commended for your integrity. That said, what do you say when they ask you want you do for a living in traffic school?

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 05-29-2019 at 4:58 PM..
Old 05-29-2019, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
You are to be commended for your integrity. That said, what do you say when they ask you want you do for a living in traffic school?
Traffic school is all online and is as easy as buying something from amazon.
Old 05-29-2019, 7:13 PM

There are still tons of classroom traffic schools. I don’t know why anyone would go in person when it can be done online.