Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 09-22-2020, 9:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Don't forget a Sillcox key.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Well, let's break this down, how many fires could one start with a full-sized Bic, vs a USB ARC lighter?

An ARC lighter has a lithium battery, which might be good for say 1.5 years max, if sitting idle with a Lithium Polymer, from a fresh charge?

With the draw on the battery required to create that ARC, a little research says that "A full charge can last up to a week or 100-300 uses", however with the small capacity of probably <700Mah, I assume it would be less than that...

My money is on a $1.19-$2 lighter that works every time and can be stored, if never used, for YEARS, not some gimmick that would not work after being stored for 1.5 years MAX, if not less than that for $13-$30+. If you have never owned any sealed Lithium Ion/Polymer devices, the battery wears out rather quickly with normal use (or not even with use), and has to be replaced, and for these, I am not sure I want to do the solder-work, nor do I know if they can actually be taken apart to do so.
The correct Lithium Polymer batteries that fit... can be also hard to source, and there are generally 3.6v and 3.7v variants that have to match the charge controller on the internal board, unless they are integrally-protected on the battery side, but I am not sure how that works.

If you like $13-$30+ devices that I assume might probably have a 50% failure rate at the 2-6 month mark, more power to you, but and use it regularly, don't drain it empty before the next charge, ever for longevity, and prove me wrong...

Another problem is that 96% of people w/iPhones I deal with, generally don't have anything but a Lightning cable, and I assume 99.9999% of these would take MiniUSB, MicroUSB. or if they are fancy, a USB-C to charge.
In my experience, iPhone users ALWAYS forget cables or anything but the iPhone.
Good to be rarity among iPhone users
I do have a decent assortment of USB micro cables in various places. They are just lot more common outside iEcosystem: various lights, 2 way radios, readers, you name it.. More and more I think, some sort of solar charger and USB cables must be included in the pack.

As for another fire starting option, how about magnifying glass? We are in CA, no?