Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 73 8.10%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 609 67.59%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 19 2.11%
I paid too much for my Membership! 41 4.55%
They will go out of business this year! 22 2.44%
Don't want anything to do with them! 137 15.21%
Voters: 901. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Hhhmmm... There isn't much 2-day Tactical Handgun in the calendar for the 1st half of next year...

That said, I just called up Admin and scheduled for a class on 21-22 June 2019 (Fri & Sat).

Looking forward to meeting some Calgunners in 6-months!?!

Cheers,

PS: At least for now, I still don't know if my Wife will be joining, with the 2-day Skill Builder. Will see...

_
You're right... there isn't much available. It looks like people have filled up the more desirable dates? Thanks for the tip here though. I didn't realize I could just call Course Admin. On myfrontsight.com when I tried to register it just linked me to the PDF application, which I wasn't looking forward to filling out.

I just registered myself and a couple of my friends for the 06/21/19 2-Day Tac HG. We just got back from the 4DDHG on 12/14/18 as well. We started on Range 1 and ended up on Range 25.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertClimber View Post
Merry Christmas all!

Anyone going to be in the Feb Tactical/Adv Tactical classes?

Feb 18-19 Tac HG
Feb 20-21 Adv Tac HG

My wife, myself, and a few friends are doing both- Perhaps we can meet up!
Be prepared. It will be cold. Froze my butt off last February I went.
Old 12-29-2018, 7:14 PM

Default New Rifle Course

Has anyone here taken the 4 Day Rifle Marksmanship course? What type of rifle and caliber did you take? Do you need long range optics? The course says up to 400 Yrds. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-29-2018, 8:38 PM
Veteran Member

Best to call and read the class description. It is a new class that starts in January. .223 is the minimum caliber.
Old 12-30-2018, 4:30 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

anybody going to be there for the 4-Day 4-Gun class next month?

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
anybody going to be there for the 4-Day 4-Gun class next month?
Negative Ke6guj, my next trip out will be Presidents day weekend.

speaking of which, I'd like to take my new Mod 2 Tactical out there but I'm having a hell of a time finding a good OWB holster for it.
I prefer blade tech holsters for Front Sight as opposed to conceal carry oriented holsters but they do not make a holster for the Mod 2 tactical. I have a classic OWB for my standard XD and while I can make it fit, it's not a great fit.

So far Blade tech, Bravo Concealment, and G Code have all confirmed they do not make holsters for this model.
any suggestions? I posted on XDtalk but haven't gotten much feedback other than a link to https://www.multiholsters.com/ but I'm not familiar with them.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:37 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
speaking of which, I'd like to take my new Mod 2 Tactical out there but I'm having a hell of a time finding a good OWB holster for it.
I prefer blade tech holsters for Front Sight as opposed to conceal carry oriented holsters but they do not make a holster for the Mod 2 tactical. I have a classic OWB for my standard XD and while I can make it fit, it's not a great fit.
I'd say that if the fit was close and it was a spare holster, hit it up with a heatgun and try to adjust it.

I just did that with a bladetech holster I picked up with credits at FS. the airsoft Glocks are just a little bit taller than the real glocks in the front so they don't fit in a snug-fit holster correctly. a couple passes with the heat gun and I made a G17 holster allow for G34 passthough and reshaped it so that the airsoft guns would fit for the force-on-force classes. not a bad holster for just sales tax.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-31-2018, 1:23 PM

Quote:
speaking of which, I'd like to take my new Mod 2 Tactical out there but I'm having a hell of a time finding a good OWB holster for it. I prefer blade tech holsters for Front Sight as opposed to conceal carry oriented holsters but they do not make a holster for the Mod 2 tactical. I have a classic OWB for my standard XD and while I can make it fit, it's not a great fit.
Try checking Red Hill Tactical...?

I checked their site, and they have a holster for the XD Mod 2 5"...

_
Old 12-31-2018, 3:53 PM

Safariland? Aliengear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Front Sight Commander member.
NRA Life Member
Old 12-31-2018, 5:35 PM

thanks everyone for the input.

just placed an order with Red Hill Tactical, I'll let you guys know what I think of it once it arrives.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
thanks everyone for the input.

just placed an order with Red Hill Tactical, I'll let you guys know what I think of it once it arrives.

I hope you read the FAQ’s

Front Sight Commander member.
NRA Life Member
Old 01-01-2019, 7:59 AM

I have some super duper director membership but i have never gone. Actually i think I have 20-30 memberships. Wish they would do that Holiday free transfer thing again.
It would be nice if I could get the wife to go. She doesnt leave her puppy.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2019, 8:08 AM

Did they take away the option for Iggy to “pay” the transfer fee?
Old 01-01-2019, 8:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post
I have some super duper director membership but i have never gone. Actually i think I have 20-30 memberships. Wish they would do that Holiday free transfer thing again.
It would be nice if I could get the wife to go. She doesnt leave her puppy.

If I must go to FS with a dog, I’d rent an RV and park at the front of the gate. Lunchtime visits would be a breeze.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 01-01-2019, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelciocc View Post
Did they make it a permanent thing? Last time i was in the website it was $100 to transfer but they had a holiday special where it was free.

Old 01-01-2019, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad4mnc View Post
I hope you read the FAQ’s

I laughed that it actually raises the price $1k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelciocc View Post
Seems like it's been "broken" for quite some time now.
Old 01-01-2019, 6:57 PM

I lied. The Dr. Piazza paying the transfer fee does work, I was thinking about the option for the recipient to pay. That hasn't worked in some time.
Old 01-09-2019, 9:50 PM

I want to take shotgun pretty soon. Shotgun(s), knee/elbow pads aside, what kind of support equipment might I need? Side saddle? Shell caddy(s)? Optics? I've got dump pouches that'll probably work for carrying ammo, but is it handicapping me any during the skills test?

Also, how bad is the beating your shoulder takes? Not sure if I've got time to do an intro + skill builder later, so a four-day sounds right, except that it's 4 days of shotgunning.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Man up! So what if the color of your shoulder will be the same as your screen name!

It really depend on what you are shooting will determine how beat up you will be. I have not take the shotgun course but when I plan to it will be with my versamax tactical that recoils like a *****cat.
Old 01-10-2019, 5:12 AM

I used the low recoil shot shells and my shoulder didn’t bother me....much. It wasn’t bad at all. What hurt was my thumb nail that split while reloading so much.
I used a buttstock shell holder that worked ok. My shotgun didn’t have enough room on the receiver to mount a shell caddy. It got in the way of the pump action. I would have preferred a shell caddy. A dump bag (or 2) would be very handy as you go through a lot of shells and it’s nice to have a place to carry them
I did fine without any optics - just the iron sights on my tactical shotgun which are a lot better than the little ball on he end of the barrel on most shotguns.
There’s a discussion of the course, recommended equipment etc on the Front Sight website, that I found helpful.
It’s a fun course, you’ll enjoy it.
Old 01-10-2019, 8:13 AM

Anybody knows what level of membership you need to have to get those private trainings? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Do they offer any deals on upgrading?

I've opt out to those marketing emails long time ago so I have no idea of what's available out there.

I have a Guardian Membership currently and I have heard stories about private lessons and seems to be promising.. depends on the cost to upgrade of course.

I've gone to FS recently for the Advance Tactical HG and as always, I went home satisfied and wanting to come back for more training...
Old 01-10-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
I want to take shotgun pretty soon. Shotgun(s), knee/elbow pads aside, what kind of support equipment might I need? Side saddle? Shell caddy(s)? Optics? I've got dump pouches that'll probably work for carrying ammo, but is it handicapping me any during the skills test?

Also, how bad is the beating your shoulder takes? Not sure if I've got time to do an intro + skill builder later, so a four-day sounds right, except that it's 4 days of shotgunning.
I went in October. The only time you really "need" knee pads are when you sight in on paper and you shoot from the gravel. They walk you through kneeling and prone nice and slow. Then you shoot from the Wilson Wall once or twice and it's not timed but you can speed through if you want, so shooting prone you could use pads if you want. The timed test at 100, shooting slugs, you can shoot from whatever position you're comfortable in but it's on the astro turf. Unless you have bad knees I wouldn't bother with the pads.

I brought a Cabela's undershirt with a pocket for their d3o pad and wore that, others had the suede and foam strap on shoulder pad. It's all up to you and how your gun. My A5 shoots pretty soft, I didn't have any bruising or soreness but my gun also doesn't feel any different with bird, buck or slugs.

A lot of guys had a side saddle and it would be handy for some of the timed reloads and slug select drill. I had a stock saddle that I only used for slug select. I had a $17 Choate belt mounted 6 shell holder that was great, though a dump pouch or even just a regular clays shell pouch would've been helpful. I kept my cargo pockets full for quick top offs, day 3 you'll start going out with 25+ shells at a time. I would've liked a second Choate holder.

I shot with a the bead sights on a 26" barrel, I had some extraction issues on the malfunction tests and one of the slug select tests so I JUST missed DG. A handful of shooters used red dots, a lot of ghost rings. The hardest skill for me was the port load, and that's just getting the first shell off, grab from the hip, pop it in and twist my hand all crazy to hit the bolt release. I started making time right before we did the skills test though, but you can help yourself with a side saddle for that, and/or an enlarged bolt release if you have a semi.

The sling is just used for safety when moving from the rack to the firing line, and when coaching.

Our class seemed split pretty even with semi's and pumps, it was a little hectic at first figuring out what processes were appropriate for me with the A5, but as usual you start to feel confident at the end of each day, get pushed again the next day, and leave feeling confident, then get pushed some more....it was a lot of fun, more than I was expecting. I was only going because family wanted to, but when they had a medical holdup I just went on my own since I purchased ammo onsite. Didn't expect much but left being a huge fan of the shotgun and am excited to use it more.
Old 01-10-2019, 1:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So... I am thinking of going for this $70-ish "Patriot" deal that Front Sight is doing right now. Other than being limited to the "basic" 4-day classes, I don't know if there are any other drawbacks.

https://www.vsquared.rocks/frontsightmembership/

Does anyone know of any other better deals out there either via FS directly or members with (lifetime) certificates to sell? Seems like gone are the days of the $50 Diamond Lifetime (or whatever those deals were back in the day).

Thanks!
#2A4CA -- it has begun! https://www.2aforca.org/
Old 01-10-2019, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

Aa shooter on here has diamond memberships to sell. If all you want is a patriot membership I’ll give you one.
Old 01-10-2019, 6:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Always a pleasure to ask quick questions on CGF and get some solid info/leads... I'll reply to PMs. Thanks to you all, fellow CGF folks!
#2A4CA -- it has begun! https://www.2aforca.org/
Old 01-11-2019, 8:49 AM

[QUOTE=Jedi54;22502229]I laughed that it actually raises the price $1k.

Jedi you are going to love the RHT holsters. I have 4 of them and been a customer for a while. If you want something really stiff, choose the double thickness. I use them for USPSA and IDPA. They really hold up.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:15 AM

I’ll be in this class as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Hhhmmm... There isn't much 2-day Tactical Handgun in the calendar for the 1st half of next year...

That said, I just called up Admin and scheduled for a class on 21-22 June 2019 (Fri & Sat).

Looking forward to meeting some Calgunners in 6-months!?!

Cheers,

PS: At least for now, I still don't know if my Wife will be joining, with the 2-day Skill Builder. Will see...

_
Old 01-13-2019, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertClimber View Post
Merry Christmas all!

Anyone going to be in the Feb Tactical/Adv Tactical classes?

Feb 18-19 Tac HG
Feb 20-21 Adv Tac HG

My wife, myself, and a few friends are doing both- Perhaps we can meet up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
My brother and I are planning to go. Maybe before class we can PM each other so we can be at the same range

Merry Christmas to you and the other Calgunner Front Sighters here!
I will be there for both classes also

Glock Armorer
Front Sight Certificates Available
Old 01-13-2019, 4:21 PM

Any updated reviews on the 4 day practical rifle. thinking about going in march. do they still use the doors? go down to the canyon? any use of Simulators?
Old 01-13-2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr View Post
Any updated reviews on the 4 day practical rifle. thinking about going in march. do they still use the doors? go down to the canyon? any use of Simulators?
Did 4-day rifle last July. We did a little bit of door stuff. We did not go into any canyons or simulators
Old 01-13-2019, 9:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr View Post
Did the rifle course with my son in October 2018. We did the doors but not a simulator bay. We did the Wilson Wall, that was fun. We did not go down the canyon. At the end of the 4th day we went out to 400 yards which was pretty fun. Did have a very good class with some great instructors. What was more interesting was watching all the different types of rifles choke on the line.

Really brought home the "test what you plan to run" mantra. Guys pissed away a lot of good training trying to fix garbage guns that if they would have put more than 20 rounds down they would of found out their equipment didn't work or at least bring a proven back up. Chasing issues with equipment does nothing to increase your trust in your chosen platform and tools.
Old 01-14-2019, 8:55 PM

Hey guys,
I'm looking to fly to Front Sight more often than I used to. (can't leave the wife at home w/o a car anymore) I really prefer not to fly with a gun out of SJC so, I'm looking for some gun rental certs. Anyone wanna sell a few? Thanks.

Old 01-15-2019, 1:15 AM
Veteran Member

There is absolutely no problem checking a gun at SJC. I have done it many times.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 01-15-2019, 10:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoWrench View Post
Hey guys,
I'm looking to fly to Front Sight more often than I used to. (can't leave the wife at home w/o a car anymore) I really prefer not to fly with a gun out of SJC so, I'm looking for some gun rental certs. Anyone wanna sell a few? Thanks.
PM sent

PM me for information on low-priced Front Sight Memberships!
Old 01-15-2019, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
There is absolutely no problem checking a gun at SJC. I have done it many times.
That's good to hear. I'm just a bit concerned b/c of the laws, the misinterpretations of the laws, the TSA mall cops, etc. Besides, they have guns that I don't ex. Uzi, select fire M16, Benelli M4 :-)